PDA

View Full Version : Steelers anxious to fill coaching position

stillers4me
02-18-2011, 05:22 PM
For the first time under coach Mike Tomlin, the Steelers must replace a key member of their defensive coaching staff.

Secondary coach Ray Horton's departure last week to become the Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator under Ken Whisenhunt marks the first significant loss on that side of the ball since Tomlin took over in 2007.

With the NFL Scouting Combine scheduled for Feb. 23-March 1, it's important, though not imperative, that the Steelers hire Horton's replacement before front-office members, scouts and the coaching staff depart for Indianapolis.

This should be a considered a plum job. Horton parlayed his gig with the Steelers into a major promotion.

Here are some potential candidates:...........

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_723454.html

XxKnightxX
02-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Donnie Henderson: One of Horton's first moves as Arizona's defensive coordinator was replacing Henderson and making longtime Cincinnati Bengals assistant Louie Cioffi his new secondary coach. Prior to the Cardinals, Henderson coached Jacksonville's defensive backs in '08 and had brief stints as a defensive coordinator with Detroit and the New York Jets.

Read more: Steelers anxious to fill coaching position - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_723454.html#ixzz1EJzBirIt

Besides Cecil , I think this would be a good fit for us. Donnie Henderson was a good D coordinator when he was with the jets and he knows a lot about complicated defensive schemes.

Aussie_steeler
02-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Heard an interesting candidate mentioned elsewhere.

Dont shoot me for mentioning this name (as he is not a typical steeler candidate)

He was a very successful DB's coach with an AFC rival who won a number of SB's before becoming a DC and eventually HC.

He spent loads of time in the film room and has been proven to make instant adjustments to counter successful teams during the halftime break.

He even turned Hank Poteat into a starting CB when the steelers couldnt.

Currently he is looking for work in the UFL as a HC.

I cant even bring myself to say his name because I would never want him.

But potentially, he could be a candidate???????

Burghfan58
02-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Heard an interesting candidate mentioned elsewhere.

Dont shoot me for mentioning this name (as he is not a typical steeler candidate)

He was a very successful DB's coach with an AFC rival who won a number of SB's before becoming a DC and eventually HC.

He spent loads of time in the film room and has been proven to make instant adjustments to counter successful teams during the halftime break.

He even turned Hank Poteat into a starting CB when the steelers couldnt.

Currently he is looking for work in the UFL as a HC.

I cant even bring myself to say his name because I would never want him.

But potentially, he could be a candidate???????

Spill the beans mate!

Aussie_steeler
02-18-2011, 10:21 PM
I dare not say his name......... its even taboo in Cleveland now.

X-Terminator
02-18-2011, 10:27 PM
I'll say it...Eric Mangini. But he'll never take another job in the NFL unless it's as DC or HC...he won't be a DB coach even on a winning team. Plus, he's an ex-Cheat*, and that automatically disqualifies him even if he didn't coach the Browns.

Aussie_steeler
02-18-2011, 10:35 PM
I agree XT. he would never even get a 1st thought from the FO