PDA

View Full Version : Analyzing our Draft Needs

deweybeachde
02-18-2011, 01:09 PM
If you have been giving some thought on who will be wearing our Black and Gold in April, here are some ideas for you.

Our 2010 Free Agents....Most of which are all signable.
Unrestricted
Ike Taylor (priority)
Colon
Hoke
W. Gay
Madison
Eason
Essex
Fox
Moore
Jo. Scott
Spaeth
Suisham
Sepulveda

Restricted
Legursky (ERFA)
Hills
Dixon

Back-Ups that need to step up
Keenan Lewis-needs to get out of Dog House 1st
Sonny Harris-been here a couple years so he must have something
Chris Scott-was a 5th rounder last year
Donovan Warren-just signed him as a FS. Was ranked #176 (5th rd) on CBS Sports 09 draft board
Chris Ellis-just signed as OLB. Was ranked #83 (3rd rd) on CBS Sports

Positions & Players in need of serious competition

Colbert's decision making
We need to hit on our 1st 4 picks and provide competition for other players in rounds 5 through 7 and Free Agency.
My choices would be CB, D-Line, O-Line

CB
I believe we need to get a better corner that could start opposite of Ike Taylor. Madison is a Free Agent so there is the roster spot to upgrade. Historically 6 CBs are taken in the 1st round and 8 by the end of the 2nd round. Check around for position rankings to see who might be our guy. We prefer bigger corners who can also tackle well.

D-Line
We know Ziggy will step in for Aaron Smith soon. Keisel needs a back up to step in for him in a year or 2. Eason is a Free Agent so there is the open roster spot. Historically 4 or 5 DEs go in the 1st round and 3 or 4 in the 2nd round. Interesting note is that Tony Pauline has given 9 DEs a 1st round grade. Should be a great player in the 2nd round for us. Check to see who is rated #9 or 10, weighs 290 to 300 and has a sub 5 40 speed.

O-Line
I've heard enough about drafting a Tackle but when you look at what we have, where do you put him. Starks is back and under contract until 2012. Flozell is signed through next year. I am pretty sure we would like Colon back and now he would be less expensive. Jonathan Scott played well enough to be dependable back up and you normally wouldn't carry 4 Tackles on the active roster anyhow.
Interior O-Line is where we could use an upgrade. Pouncey, Foster, Kemoeatu, Legursky. Chris Scott is an unknown quantity to us (not the coaches) and Essex is a Free Agent. I think we draft a Guard with our 3rd round pick which will be the number 4 or 5 rated Guard. If we wait to the 4th round, it would be the 6th rated Guard.

Inside LineBacker
Fox is a Free Agent, We have Timmons (whose contract is up next year) , Foote is signed for 2 more years, Sylvester had a nice Rookie Year. Farrior eventually needs a replacement so they draft one in the 4th unless a true stud is there in the 3rd round. Take a look at the top 5 o 6 ILBs who could be there for us

Rounds 5 through 7 are TE, RB, FB
Maybe a TE since Spaeth is a Free Agent
Maybe a RB since Me. Moore is a free Agent
Maybe a FB this year since Summers just signed with San Diego

UDFAs K, P

Chidi29
02-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Good work dewey.

In regards to free agency, the only two I'd get rid of immediately are Fox and Eason. Fox is too much of a hot-head who gets too out of control. While I love Eason's story, he really didn't play a whole lot after Ziggy came into his own. And with Aaron possibly be back next year, assuming he doesn't get cut, there's no room.

I'd be willing to at least try to work out some offers with everyone else.

LLT
02-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Good breakdown Dewey....I am one of those who think that we will probably go with a CB in the first round. I would love for Jimmy Smith to fall to us, but I think it is more likely that we take Aaron Williams.

With a lack of value at OT in the 2nd round I think we will propably have to go DE or OG. I think the best value is at OG where we could get a player like Will Rackley.

In the third round I would love for OT James Carpenter to be available. He has a high upside and with time to learn, could end up being a pretty could RT with the real possibility of playing LT.

In the fourth I would look at a DE. David Carter and Cedric Thornton both are rated 5-6 rounders right now but both impressed at the senior bowl and with a good combine might end up as 4th round values.

In the fifth I have been saying that we need to get a replacement for Spaeth...TE Lee Smith would be my choice.

deweybeachde
02-19-2011, 08:31 PM
I like those guys too.
How about
Rd 1 CB Smith or Williams (both very similar players)
Rd 2 DL Marvin Austin (some scouts list him as a 3-4 DE)
Rd 3 ILB Kevin Sheppard (arguably the best LB in draft)
Rd 4 G Lee Ziemba (Tackle but probably a better fit at Guard)
Rd 5 DL David Carter or Terrell McClain (This will give Sonny Harris some serious motivation)
Rd 6 FB Marecic or Hynoski (Frank the Tank is gone and Moore is a Free Agent)
Rd 7 TE Julius Thomas or Andre Smith or Skelton (assuming Spaeth is not re signed)

LLT
02-20-2011, 09:58 AM
I like those guys too.
How about
Rd 5 DL David Carter or Terrell McClain (This will give Sonny Harris some serious motivation)
Rd 7 TE Julius Thomas or Andre Smith or Skelton (assuming Spaeth is not re signed)

Marvin Austin is a talent...but a head case. He scares me a little.

I like the Ziemba pick in the 4th because he will have the versatility to play OG/OT, but I wonder if we should go with a more athletic OG so that we can move them to the LG slot and put Kemo on the RG side where his athletic deficiencies souldnt be as obvious.

Im glad to see that you are on the David Carter bandwagon...that guy is seriously underrated!!!

Do you think that we might have to look at a Kicker in the 5-7 rounds? I would like to see someone with a little more "leg" so that we can make a few outside of 40 yards.

Texasteel
02-20-2011, 10:21 AM
I like those guys too.
How about

Williams has been my pick as a 1st round CB. Smith would be great, but don't think he's there.
Austin is going to have some selling to do at the combines. If he can convince teams that his troubles are behind him and he will be a good teammate he should go high.
Sheppard is starting to settle into my must have category. I love the kid.
Both Carter and McClain may be on their way up the draft board. I like Carter a lot.

I agree with LLT. I have thought for a while that we need to get Kemo off the left side. I still think this is this years biggest need

Great job dewey.

LLT
02-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Kevin Shepherd: 311 tackles career tackles... 26 tackles for loss... 4.5 sacks...7 pass breakups, 6 forced fumbles...2 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries.

Yep....I would take him!!!!!

deweybeachde
02-22-2011, 08:39 AM
1. CB Smith or Williams

2. Drake Nevis (Explosive lineman coming off a sensational senior season. Quick, athletic and intense. Makes plays all over the field but has size limitations which will knock down his draft grade.)

3. ILB Kevin Sheppard (Underrated middle linebacker prospect that is a three down defender.)

4. G Zach Hurd (Big dominant blocker that annihilates defenders once engaged in a block. Graded as early as a third round selection by some scouts.)

5. NT Terrell McClain (Explosive one gap player who stays on his feet and chases around the field to make plays. Deceptively strong and holds the point.)

6. RB Dion Lewis (How is he still here in the 6th round. No one has given him any consideration.)

7. OT Jah Reid (Large, powerful lineman who blocks with terrific fundamentals. Strong side prospect.)

Chidi29
02-22-2011, 08:47 AM
1. CB Smith or Williams

2. Drake Nevis (Explosive lineman coming off a sensational senior season. Quick, athletic and intense. Makes plays all over the field but has size limitations which will knock down his draft grade.)

3. ILB Kevin Sheppard (Underrated middle linebacker prospect that is a three down defender.)

4. G Zach Hurd (Big dominant blocker that annihilates defenders once engaged in a block. Graded as early as a third round selection by some scouts.)

5. NT Terrell McClain (Explosive one gap player who stays on his feet and chases around the field to make plays. Deceptively strong and holds the point.)

6. RB Dion Lewis (How is he still here in the 6th round. No one has given him any consideration.)

7. OT Jah Reid (Large, powerful lineman who blocks with terrific fundamentals. Strong side prospect.)

Pretty good mock. But I'd heavily disagree with us taking Nevis. He is that one gap, Tampa 2 mold. Definitely not a five technique. Too small and not enough upper body strength to play the five technique.

Steeldude
02-23-2011, 02:43 AM
I've heard enough about drafting a Tackle but when you look at what we have, where do you put him. Starks is back and under contract until 2012. Flozell is signed through next year. I am pretty sure we would like Colon back and now he would be less expensive. Jonathan Scott played well enough to be dependable back up and you normally wouldn't carry 4 Tackles on the active roster anyhow

adams has probably only a year left. starks isn't getting any younger. colon could move to RG. what tackle is waiting in the wings? none that i can see. guards are easier to find/replace than tackles.

deweybeachde
03-09-2011, 11:33 AM
The only left Tackle possibly available at 31 would be Sherrod. It's a tough choice between a Top 5 Tackle or a Top 5 Cornerback.
If we go Tackle in the 1st, would you be able to resist a Guard at #2 like Ijalana if he was available or would you draft a Corner like Burton with #2pick ?
Assuming we could get 2 stud Lineman, our O-Line would be set for years.

We should still be able to get a good Corner like Gilchrest or Marsh with our 3rd pick. I am not sure if there is a big drop off in talent between Brandon Burton or Davon House in the 2nd round and Gilchrest or marsh in the 3rd.
The 4th has a big (6' 200 lb) speed guy (4.36 forty)Combo FS/CB in Culliver. Those 2 picks should be upgrades over Special Teamers-Madison and Will Allen

In the 5th and 6th we can still get a good LB and DE (Josh Bynes would be a solid pick up or you could go out on a limb and pick Romeus and try to convert him into a LB because he is too small for 3-4 DE?)
Carter might still be available at DE because everybody has drafted one already.
A speed RB like a Noel Devine or a Mario Fanin would be a great pick in the 7th or we can draft Summers' replacemnet with a FB like Sherman

UDFAs or Late round picks possibly on our radar
K Jasper or Bailey
P Epperson or Forest
LS Aiken
CB Josh Thomas or Ryan Jones
TE Oordt
NT Gray
DE Graves or Parr or Whitlock
ILB Akeem Dent
RT Jah Reid or Mike Person

steeldevil
03-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Draft gurus, would ILB Nate Irving from NC State still be around in the 4th? I think that would be a good pick. That guy is still very good dispite his near fatal car crash that caused him to miss a year.

Texasteel
03-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Personally I think the meat of the ILBs are in the 3rd round with Greg Jones, Colin McCarthy, Kevin Sheppard, and Nate Irving. Jones could go in the 2nd, but even if he does I can see one of the other 3 falling into the 4th round, likely Irving, but not far enough to help us. I believe our best chance at a ILB in the 4th would be Ross Homan of Ohio St. He played OLB in school but would move inside for us.

LLT
03-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Draft gurus, would ILB Nate Irving from NC State still be around in the 4th? I think that would be a good pick. That guy is still very good dispite his near fatal car crash that caused him to miss a year.

Very good question.

Nate Irving measured in at 6'1 240lbs at the combine and ran a 4.68 forty. However, since he didnt do any of the other drills, his pro day will have a lot to do with his final draft round determination.

That being said....he has a reputation as being immature and his combine interviews may have hurt/helped his draft status already.

Knowing what we know as of now....I would say that he will be a mid-4th rounder.