PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians Will Remain Offensive Coordinator

SteelerEmpire
02-14-2011, 04:47 PM
OMG !!!

..."Mike Tomlin has decided to keep both of his coordinators but must find a replacement for secondary coach Ray Horton, hired by Arizona as the Cardinals' defensive coordinator."...

LINK: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/Steelers/teamreport/67067

HometownGal
02-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Good job Coach T! :applaudit: :yay3: :applaudit: Both coaches are 100% deserving of their retainments and I'm so looking forward to next season! :tt02:

P.S. Who the hell is Harry Colon? :doh: :lol:

They might be even better with the return of injured players such as Aaron Smith, Harry Colon, Max Starks and having Ben Roethlisberger the entire season.

Chidi29
02-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Completely agree with HTG! Glad you're coming back Bruce.

X-Terminator
02-14-2011, 05:10 PM
OK, so how long until the first "Fire Tomlin" calls because he won't fire BA?

siss
02-14-2011, 05:11 PM
There are going to be some pissed off yinzers!!!

HometownGal
02-14-2011, 05:16 PM
There are going to be some pissed off yinzers!!!

If they're pissed off, they don't understand what the job of an NFL OC is. BA did what was asked of him and did it well imho.

So much for the "whispers" a certain talking head claimed he was hearing - just like last season. :lol:

NJarhead
02-14-2011, 05:18 PM
OMG !!!

..."Mike Tomlin has decided to keep both of his coordinators but must find a replacement for secondary coach Ray Horton, hired by Arizona as the Cardinals' defensive coordinator."...

Did Deshea sign with the Cards or was that still in the interview process?

Wonder if Rod would be interested. Ty Law could probably break into coaching here as well.

Nevermind, I just saw this: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/6742-Hall-of-Famer-Woodson-joins-Raiders-staff-as-DB-coach (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/6742-Hall-of-Famer-Woodson-joins-Raiders-staff-as-DB-coach)

Now if you'll all excuse me a moment, I need to go do some of this: :frusty:

NJarhead
02-14-2011, 05:20 PM
If they're pissed off, they don't understand what the job of an NFL OC is.

So much for the "whispers" a certain talking head claimed he was hearing - just like last season. :lol:

I'm more happy about the stability for Ben and our offense than anything else. I wish he was more the type that utilized a traditional FB (*cough* John Kuhn *cough*) but considering our successes with him, I can't imagine who we could bring in who would offer a guaranteed improvement. Good move by the Steelers......no surprise there.

SteelerFanInStl
02-14-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm more happy about the stability for Ben and our offense than anything else. I wish he was more the type that utilized a traditional FB (*cough* John Kuhn *cough*) but considering our successes with him, I can't imagine who we could bring in who would offer a guaranteed improvement. Good move by the Steelers......no surprise there.

Pretty much my feelings exactly. I actually think that BA did a better job with the offense this year so I was actually surprised that there was any doubt about his returning.

Psycho Ward 86
02-14-2011, 05:43 PM
F.........M.......L.......

Texasteel
02-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Very happy about this news. BA has done a very good job, and deserves another shot that another SB trophy. He only has 2.

steelpride12
02-14-2011, 05:49 PM
BA did a great job his seasons here and has really opened up to Ben and the offense and looking forward to more from him next season, Can't wait and great choice Tomlin! :)

salamander
02-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Considering what BA did with what he had to work with, I'd say it's deserved.

FIRE TOMLIN!!!!! :sarcasm2: :bananalama:

Devilsdancefloor
02-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Good job Coach T! :applaudit: :yay3: :applaudit: Both coaches are 100% deserving of their retainments and I'm so looking forward to next season! :tt02:

I dont know who that is BUT it sounds kinda painful

Im glad the staff is staying intact for hte most part, now to find a secondary coach

zulater
02-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Saved by the looming lockout. No one is going to change coordinaters this offseason if they don't have to. Because chances are there's going to be no OTA's, and a shortened training camp, so trying to instill a new offensive system with such uncertainty ahead would be insanity.

Congrats Bruce.

:coffee:

X-Terminator
02-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Saved by the looming lockout. No one is going to change coordinaters this offseason if they don't have to. Because chances are there's going to be no OTA's, and a shortened training camp, so trying to instill a new offensive system with such uncertainty ahead would be insanity.

Congrats Bruce.

And yet, there have already been several coordinators hired and fired.

Seriously, some of you guys really need to get past your hatred for BA. That goes for members here, elsewhere and those in the sports media. Not only has it gotten to be ridiculous, but it's borderline obsessive. The man is not the Anti-Christ that some of you make him out to be.

polamalubeast
02-14-2011, 07:00 PM
:rolleyes::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:Fire Mike Tomlin?
Is it just me or are the Steelers lost under Mike Tomlin? All the early wins were clearly left over from Cowher's team. This team is a joke. No toughness, no discipline, special teams are an out right embarrassment!. The defense can't stop anyone in the 4th quarter. And Play calling? A JOKE! And he stands on the side line looking like he's watching Spongebob Squarepants. He will destroy this team!! I miss the old Steelers!!

read more

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080105205048AAn1UIC

:huh::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toof unny::toofunny::toofunny:

Craic
02-14-2011, 07:01 PM

Congrats Bruce.

There's the Zu that we all know and love! :heh:

SteelerFanInStl
02-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Is it just me or are the Steelers lost under Mike Tomlin? All the early wins were clearly left over from Cowher's team. This team is a joke. No toughness, no discipline, special teams are an out right embarrassment!. The defense can't stop anyone in the 4th quarter. And Play calling? A JOKE! And he stands on the side line looking like he's watching Spongebob Squarepants. He will destroy this team!! I miss the old Steelers!!

read more

Why post something from 3 years ago?

Craic
02-14-2011, 07:05 PM

read more

Yep, that didn't take long at all. And on Yahoo! Answers too! Steelers fans are so predictable...

That thread was actually from 3 yeas ago.

Though it is funny, cause it does sound like it could be this year's thread.

X-Terminator
02-14-2011, 07:07 PM
That thread was actually from 3 yeas ago.

Though it is funny, cause it does sound like it could be this year's thread.

Damn, I didn't delete it in time. But yeah, I saw that it was from 3 years ago. I should know better than that.

Mach1
02-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Great. Going to lead the league in yardage and be last in scoring. Can't wait!

Craic
02-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Damn, I didn't delete it in time. But yeah, I saw that it was from 3 years ago. I should know better than that.

:lol: I hate it when that happens. Go ahead and delete both my posts if you want :chuckle:

Texasteel
02-14-2011, 07:15 PM

Seriously, some of you guys really need to get past your hatred for BA. That goes for members here, elsewhere and those in the sports media. Not only has it gotten to be ridiculous, but it's borderline obsessive. The man is not the Anti-Christ that some of you make him out to be.

Remember X-T,, last year the team changed their mind just in time. Some things never change.

Craic
02-14-2011, 07:16 PM

You mean like this year, where we are 14th in gained yards, and 12th in points scored, while being 21st in offensive plays?

Mach1
02-14-2011, 07:20 PM
You mean like this year, where we are 14th in gained yards, and 12th in points scored, while being 21st in offensive plays?

Just like 27th in red zone scoring.

zulater
02-14-2011, 07:23 PM

No hatred, just a little too much smug in the air thank you. And I really don't think the Steelers writers that have reported on Bruce being on the ropes are prone to making things up. These guys have been around the scene for years, and if they were just making up shit for fun they'd have been gone long ago. Just because he was retained doesn't mean there hasn't been some internal discussion happening. And of course once you decide to keep someone why the hell would you say that you ever considered otherwise?

As to me, I'm not a huge fan of Bruce's, probably never will be, I've always considered him B list material, and I'd love to see what a great coordinater could do for Ben and this offense at this stage of Ben's career.

That said I'm not surprised by the announcment and there was good cause to stay with the status quo for the time.

So again Bruce congrats for being the man of the moment.

NJarhead
02-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Stats are for suckers. For the first time in a long time, this team has the ability to play from behind. We can't always give our D an 11 point lead and well, we've not been good at holding leads on defense lately. We were 12-4, went to the SB and that was not all defense.

Mach1
02-14-2011, 07:30 PM
I haven't seen or heard anything of him inking a new contract yet? So for him returning next year isn't set in stone yet.

SteelCityMan786
02-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Good, the people probably calling for his head are ones that think they could do a better job. I wonder how many of them have even ran a high school offense even.

zulater
02-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Good, the people probably calling for his head are ones that think they could do a better job. I wonder how many of them have even ran a high school offense even.

By your standard no fan has the right to ever question any coach's retention.

Also I guess if you've never acted on stage or film you have no right to question the acting ability of Pauly Shore or any other crappy actor or actress that actually got a part in a movie. Or if you've never recorded a record I guess you're not allowed to offer the opinion that Vanilla Ice sucks.

KeiselPower99
02-14-2011, 08:01 PM
As much as alot of people want Arians gone you dont mess with success. BA and Ben have a good relationship. Does this mean LeBeau is officially coming back?

86WARD
02-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Critical decision...especially if the CBA negotiations go until Labor Day-ish...

SteelCityMan786
02-14-2011, 08:12 PM

Also I guess if you've never acted on stage of film you have no right to question the acting ability of Pauly Shore or any other crappy actor or actress that actually got a part in a movie. Or if you've never recorded a record I guess you're not allowed to offer the opinion that Vanilla Ice sucks.

Zulater, if that's how you view it to be, then fine.

I inserted the remark about a high school offense because some people want to claim that because the Steelers offense does bad in one game, it's grounds to remove BA. Personally in my opinion it's not, ESPECIALLY when it may have just been one bad day. Now if it's over a chain of 5-6 weeks, then ok, fire away. Some need to keep in mind that BA's Offense has helped the Steelers get to 2 Super Bowls and got the Steelers a ring. I am not gonna argue with that kind of success.

Psycho Ward 86
02-14-2011, 08:15 PM

I inserted the remark about a high school offense because some people want to claim that because the Steelers offense does bad in one game, it's grounds to remove BA. Personally in my opinion it's not, ESPECIALLY when it may have just been one bad day. Now if it's over a chain of 5-6 weeks, then ok, fire away. Some need to keep in mind that BA's Offense has helped the Steelers get to 2 Super Bowls and got the Steelers a ring. I am not gonna argue with that kind of success.

LOL, our offense has been bad for one game?

zulater
02-14-2011, 08:20 PM

I never said there wasn't a logical argument to support Bruce. And I've never said he's horrible at his job. But I also think there's some valid critisism's that can be made about Bruce. Now I'm not going to use this thread to rehash old arguments, because if the Steelers have decided to keep Arians, it's out of my hands, and I'm not going to get all worked up over things I can't control.

As you've pointed out obviously the Steelers can win with Bruce, so viva la Bruce!

Merchant
02-14-2011, 08:24 PM
I thought Bruce had a good year. He had a few questionable games here and there but so does every OC. Glad to know that we'll have stability at that position for next season (whenever that will be).

fansince'76
02-14-2011, 08:26 PM

Who should he be replaced by, then?

Chidi29
02-14-2011, 08:30 PM
OMG !!!

I'm just going to throw out three random names for the secondary coach.

Joe Whitt Jr/CBs coach for the Packers. Young guy who probably brings a lot of energy. Quickly been working his way up. Coached William Gay at Louisville. I'm sure you guys will love that. Worked in an exotic zone scheme under Capers like we ave with LeBeau.
http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/joe-whitt-jr/4998944b-31d0-4e8c-9444-e442247665ff

Paul Williams/DBs coach for Miami Hurricanes. Lots of experience, 15 years. Did some good things at Temple. Was just hired at Miami but I'm sure he'd be willing to take an NFL job.
http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/williams_paul00.html

Tim Banks/Co-defensive coordinator for Cincinnatti Bearcats. Know Tomlin spent some time with Cincy and their AD has been around for 20+ years. Banks has a lot of experience as a DC and spent time coaching the secondary at Maryland.
http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/banks_tim00.html

zulater
02-14-2011, 08:36 PM

So by the same token if I can't tell you who's going to oppose Obama in the next general election I don't have the right to complain about his job performance or endorse the idea of him being a one term President?

kmsteelerwr15
02-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Even though I am not much of a BA supporter, he had a good season and I really don't have a problem with this.

steelreserve
02-14-2011, 08:42 PM
OK, so how long until the first "Fire Tomlin" calls because he won't fire BA?

I don't think anyone is pissed off at Arians this year. He finally got his shit together.

X-Terminator
02-14-2011, 08:45 PM
No hatred, just a little too much smug in the air thank you. And I really don't think the Steelers writers that have reported on Bruce being on the ropes are prone to making things up. These guys have been around the scene for years, and if they were just making up shit for fun they'd have been gone long ago. Just because he was retained doesn't mean there hasn't been some internal discussion happening. And of course once you decide to keep someone why the hell would you say that you ever considered otherwise?

As to me, I'm not a huge fan of Bruce's, probably never will be, I've always considered him B list material, and I'd love to see what a great coordinater could do for Ben and this offense at this stage of Ben's career.

That said I'm not surprised by the announcment and there was good cause to stay with the status quo for the time.

So again Bruce congrats for being the man of the moment.

There are internal discussions that happen every off-season. But that doesn't mean they were considering firing him or that they weren't happy with his performance. You guys need to stop relying so much on rumor and "he said, she said" and wait until you hear it from the horse's mouth. Not saying you did that this time, but once again, a certain journalist said he heard "rumblings," and once again, those "rumblings" turned out to be incorrect. Some of you also need to realize that there are 11 guys and a coordinator on the other side of the ball that get paid too, and that just because a play doesn't work doesn't mean it's all the OC's fault.

And since you want a "great coordinator" so much, who exactly would you replace BA with?

I haven't seen or heard anything of him inking a new contract yet? So for him returning next year isn't set in stone yet.

The story says Tomlin is keeping both coordinators. That means it's final.

fansince'76
02-14-2011, 08:46 PM
So by the same token if I can't tell you who's going to oppose Obama in the next general election I don't have the right to complain about his job performance or endorse the idea of him being a one term President?

Not at all. I never tire of complaining which is rooted in over-the-top, completely inaccurate and absurd statements (first in yardage, last in scoring = completely inaccurate). I hear Arians likes to set fire to puppies in his spare time too. To be honest with you, a large part of me wanted to see Arians retire so the absurdity would stop. Well, at least until it becomes evident that the offense won't score 70 points a game under the next OC and he becomes a worthless bum unworthy of coaching a Pop Warner team because of it as well, which would take all of about six games, tops.

steelreserve
02-14-2011, 08:50 PM

Also I guess if you've never acted on stage or film you have no right to question the acting ability of Pauly Shore or any other crappy actor or actress that actually got a part in a movie. Or if you've never recorded a record I guess you're not allowed to offer the opinion that Vanilla Ice sucks.

Yeah ... that "what-do-you-know-you're-just-a-fan" crap is REALLY not what we need. It was getting out of hand on the old board, and the fact that it's been mostly absent has been one of the refreshing things about this new place.

Really, the thing to say to anyone who questions your qualifications to disagree with the coaching staff is ... you're just a fan too, so what the hell do you know either.

SteelCityMan786
02-14-2011, 09:02 PM

We don't have to win by style points.

zulater
02-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Not at all. I never tire of complaining which is rooted in over-the-top, completely inaccurate and absurd statements (first in yardage, last in scoring = completely inaccurate). I hear Arians likes to set fire to puppies in his spare time too. To be honest with you, a large part of me wanted to see Arians retire so the absurdity would stop. Well, at least until it becomes evident that the offense won't score 70 points a game under the next OC and he becomes a worthless bum unworthy of coaching a Pop Warner team because of it as well, which would take all of about six games, tops.

Honestly I've never been a blame the OC guy. I thought Ron Earhardt was one of the best in the game when he was here, I thought Chan Gailey did a remarkable job considering in his two seasons his qb's were Mike Tomzcak and Kordell Stewart. I certainly wasn't surprised that Whisenhunt was able to parlay his job with the Steelers into a head coaching opportunity. I thought he too did a good job in Pittsburgh.

So much for that straw man argument.

steeldevil
02-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Fine by me. He did a really good job this year I thought.

zulater
02-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Fine by me. He did a really good job this year I thought.

He certainly didn't give the Steelers cause to fire him.

Psycho Ward 86
02-14-2011, 10:07 PM
We don't have to win by style points.

Um, no ones looking go get style points. We just wanna friggin' score. Which an Arians offense can't do.

fansince'76
02-14-2011, 10:13 PM
So much for that straw man argument.

So the 15 years of almost constant grousing about "Cowherball" by a good chunk of the Steelers fanbase was all in my mind? I beg to differ. The behavior isn't unique to Steelers fans either - I'd say at least 30 of the current OCs in the league pretty much suck going by prevailing sentiment of the fans. OCs very possibly catch just as much if not more flak than HCs, actually.

Mach1
02-15-2011, 12:03 AM

Anybody that's able to to make in-game adjustments, attack weaknesses, and have some situational awareness. And for god sakes practice for the 4-3 D.

The story says Tomlin is keeping both coordinators. That means it's final.

I think I'd wait till the owner say's it's final.

tube517
02-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Fire Harry Colon!

The Duke
02-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Only reason it should be a big news is if he was in a contract year, which he isn't. I'm glad he's not retiring. With the oline healthier this year and the young receivers maturing, the offense could a A LOT better

I'd say at least 30 of the current OCs in the league pretty much suck going by prevailing fans' sentiment.

Definitely. They are a much easier target when things go wrong for the team

stillers4me
02-15-2011, 05:17 AM
Wow. One line in a Foxsports article that, in it's entirety, is pure speculation about what the Steelers are planning to do.

Why don't we at least wait until it's reported on Twitter before we get all bent out of shape? :noidea:

X-Terminator
02-15-2011, 06:12 AM
Wow. One line in a Foxsports article that, in it's entirety, is pure speculation about what the Steelers are planning to do.

Why don't we at least wait until it's reported on Twitter before we get all bent out of shape? :noidea:

Well, I'm hoping it's not speculation, because like I said in another thread, I want Arians back just to watch the haters squirm. I cannot believe one man gets this much ire from the fan base, as if he's the worst person in the world.

Dino 6 Rings
02-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Fine...now that he ran the ball more last season, maybe, just maybe...he'd draft a True fcking Fullback so we can keep jamming the ball down people's throats. it beat the Jets and worked well against the Packers, would help against the Patriots and Colts to keep their offenses off the field by jamming the ball right down their necks...then with our Big play potential in our passing game, we have tools we never had when we were a "3 yards and cloud of dust team" prior to having Ben, and some of our awesome fast receivers. That helps agains the Ravens and teams stout against the Run. We are a truly balanced offense, just now that we have speed all over the place on the outside, lets get some power for the inside game as well...is that too much to want?

So yeah...fine...this NBBFer is ok with Bruce coming back, lets just adjust our roster to the new found focus on a running game...please.

HometownGal
02-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Well, I'm hoping it's not speculation, because like I said in another thread, I want Arians back just to watch the haters squirm. I cannot believe one man gets this much ire from the fan base, as if he's the worst person in the world.

I remember the "speculation" last season that BA had been fired and how the haters took it as gospel and were dancing in the streets. :lol: :lol:

Plain and simple - there was no reason to fire him last season and even more reason to retain him again this season.

Austin87
02-15-2011, 10:08 AM
I remember the "speculation" last season that BA had been fired and how the haters took it as gospel and were dancing in the streets. :lol: :lol:

Plain and simple - there was no reason to fire him last season and even more reason to retain him again this season.

Actually if I remember correctly B.A. had ample reason to get fired last season and he almost did. He was very lucky that he didn't get fired. Was probably one of the worst O.C's in 2009.

This year he improved a lot. With Ben being out the first 4 games and with the injuries to the O-line we still reached the Superbowl,B.A. should get some credit for that.Overall he did a very good job this season.

Dino 6 Rings
02-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Its simple really, the Rooney's and Tomlin both explained to Bruce we needed more focus on the running game to be more balanced. He listened, we did well this year. Now just update the roster to bolster the running attack please. Thanks.

Texasteel
02-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Actually if I remember correctly B.A. had ample reason to get fired last season and he almost did. He was very lucky that he didn't get fired. Was probably one of the worst O.C's in 2009.

This year he improved a lot. With Ben being out the first 4 games and with the injuries to the O-line we still reached the Superbowl,B.A. should get some credit for that.Overall he did a very good job this season.

The rumors of BA firing turned out to be just that, unsubstantiated rumors. Some still prefer to believe them apposed to what the team said, and that's fine. Weather you think he should have been fired or not the facts are BA was the OC this year, and I looks as though he will be the OC next year. BA did not have a perfect season, just as no one else in the league had a perfect year. He did how ever do something that only one other OC did. Coach his team in the Super Bowl, and in a lot of minds did a good job doing it. It really doesn't matter if we like it or not. He is still the OC of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Some of us will be happy about it, some will simply have to deal with it.

tube517
02-15-2011, 10:56 AM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble but didn't his contract expire at the end of this past year? Has he been signed to a new one? If so, could someone post a link to an article stating that he has been re-signed? And please, don't accuse this of being anti or pro Arians. I just want to see FACTS.

zulater
02-15-2011, 11:05 AM

Personally I think you should substitute the word doubters in place of haters. And in my case I don't even know that I would categorize myself as a doubter , because I think Bruce has clearly proven himself competent. My main issue with him is I'm not sure that Bruce can get all there is to get out of Ben as a qb. I think Bruce has taken Ben as far along the road as he's capable of and maybe a new voice is needed to get Ben through that final hurdle to greatness? :noidea:

But regardless, with the labor uncertainty that lies ahead there's no way I would advocate change at this juncture. Once things are settled you might be working on a hurried up pace to get the season started, so instituting a new offensive system would be insanity.

Michael
02-15-2011, 11:45 AM

Congrats Bruce.

I am a big critic of Bruce Arians and let this be clear. Yes continuity is invaluable in coaching at any level. I am not going to justify my opinion nor do I want to change your opinion. A very high percentage of Steeler fans do not like BA but many of you do and that is fine.

My hope was and is that the Steelers are groooming Randy Fichtner the QB coach for the job. I watched Fitchner on the sidelines this year and he was very interactive with Ben and other offensive players. Being an optimist I want to believe he may be very qualified and will very soon get the job as an the OC.

We can have continuity and a positive change at the position. For those of you that like BA keep liking him and for those like me who don"t, remain loyal as we do have the best franchise in the NFL and our offense will be better next year with or in spite of Arians.

Fichtner began his NFL coaching career when he was hired on January 29, 2007 as the Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver coach after Bruce Arians became offensive coordinator. He was hired by Mike Tomlin when he became head coach after Bill Cowher resigned early in 2007. As of 2010 Fichtner became the Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterbacks coach. As a college coach, Fichtner has coached at the University of Memphis (1990–1993) and (2001–2006), Arkansas State University (1997–2000), Purdue University (1994–1996), UNLV (1989), and USC (1988). Fichtner was also a graduate assistant at the University of Michigan.

CollegeFichtner played defensive back at Purdue University. Fichtner graduated from Purdue University in 1985.

Randy played his High School Football for Meadville Area Senior High School in Meadville, Pa.

Texasteel
02-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Personally I think you should substitute the word doubters in place of haters. And in my case I don't even know that I would categorize myself as a doubter ,.

And what word should we use to replace " Arians Apologists "?

Dino 6 Rings
02-15-2011, 12:19 PM

not sure, but I have the title for the offical not fans of Bruce club...we are called NBBFers...Not Big Bruce Fans...

I'm the president and ceo and only member of the club...officially...

I'm just hoping we stick to a balanced attack again, focus on running the ball to the left sometimes and with weapons Ben has, know when we pass, that it will work just fine. Just don't get "greedy" with the pass.

zulater
02-15-2011, 12:35 PM

Arian "realists", since you guys are the incumbants and all, I can give you that.

:chuckle:

zulater
02-15-2011, 12:37 PM
not sure, but I have the title for the offical not fans of Bruce club...we are called NBBFers...Not Big Bruce Fans...

I'm the president and ceo and only member of the club...officially...

I'm just hoping we stick to a balanced attack again, focus on running the ball to the left sometimes and with weapons Ben has, know when we pass, that it will work just fine. Just don't get "greedy" with the pass.

Can I be "Seargent at Arms" Dino? :yay3:

7willBheaven
02-15-2011, 01:06 PM

This is true...be it this story or any others posted by any place other than the Steelers themselves (be it on their website, FB or Twitter)...I do not believe it until it comes from them. There have been many things over the years in articles like this that ended up NOT being true...a lot of times they do...but with how anybody can post anything online and people take it as fact no matter what...i've very cautious of things like that and wait until I hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

Personally I've never liked BA...from some of his dumb play calling (though nobody is perfect) to the crap he's said in interivews (ooh we dont adjust when one of our players go out...or we dont look at attack a team when one of their starters are out...etc). Nobody is perfect for sure...and no OC has 16 great games...he did improve this year so i will give him props there. If the Steelers do re-sign him then so be it...I'll still support the team/etc like I always have! :-)

SteelCityMan786
02-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Um, no ones looking go get style points. We just wanna friggin' score. Which an Arians offense can't do.

So do I. But if the Steelers have to win a game 13-10, then fine. It shows you still have room to improve.

Texasteel
02-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Arian "realists", since you guys are the incumbants and all, I can give you that.

:chuckle:

I can live with that, as long as I don't have to give up the title of " HOMER "

Texasteel
02-15-2011, 01:24 PM

How the hell do you pronounce that Dino.

7willBheaven
02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Considering what BA did with what he had to work with, I'd say it's deserved.

I think a 15 y/o could do good with what he had to work with...Ward and Miller 2 of the best. Wallace becoming a stud...2 young ones in Sanders/Brown...ol vet ARE. A great RB in Mendy...with solid BUs Redman and Moore. Even during the first 4 games he still had a lot to work with. If you cant do something working with these guys you have some issues.

Yes the OL changed a few times...but big deal...Kugler and his guys did a good job with the OL...and as Arians stated before...it doesnt matter who is out or not we do not change the gameplan/etc...so with that being said the OL shouldnt have had any impact on things, haha.

Dino 6 Rings
02-15-2011, 03:09 PM
I need to learn to "multiquote"

anyway...Zu, you can be seargent of arms, sure...we aren't haters, just not big fans of.

Texas its prenounced

En Bee Bee EFFERS....NBBFers. yeah, I'm an effer.

HometownGal
02-15-2011, 03:18 PM

Move over there Ed. I'm the very proud CEO of the AAC. :clap2: :heh:

Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86

So - scoring 20 pts. or more in 12 out of 19 games this season, including the playoffs and XLV, doesn't constitute scoring? Yes - the defense got us a few of those scores but all in all, our O produced. You appear to be one of these people who expect the Steelers O to put up 50+ points per game or they suuuuuuuuck. Who gives a rat's weenie how many points the Steelers score - as long as they have more points on the board than their opponents when that final second goes tick tick off that clock - which they DID in 15 games this season. :doh:

Chidi29
02-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Fine...now that he ran the ball more last season, maybe, just maybe...he'd draft a True fcking Fullback so we can keep jamming the ball down people's throats. it beat the Jets and worked well against the Packers, would help against the Patriots and Colts to keep their offenses off the field by jamming the ball right down their necks...then with our Big play potential in our passing game, we have tools we never had when we were a "3 yards and cloud of dust team" prior to having Ben, and some of our awesome fast receivers. That helps agains the Ravens and teams stout against the Run. We are a truly balanced offense, just now that we have speed all over the place on the outside, lets get some power for the inside game as well...is that too much to want?

So yeah...fine...this NBBFer is ok with Bruce coming back, lets just adjust our roster to the new found focus on a running game...please.

He'd draft a fullback?

That's not his role. His job is to create a gameplan based on what he is given. If you want a blocking fullback, talk to Tomlin and Colbert.

From Week 7 and later, we used a fullback over 100 times, not even counting the Pony formations where Redman is in at FB.

solardave
02-15-2011, 04:35 PM

I really hope Willie is healthy next year but I guess we might have to settle for his evil twin Harry.:huh:

zulater
02-15-2011, 05:01 PM
I need to learn to "multiquote"

anyway...Zu, you can be seargent of arms, sure...we aren't haters, just not big fans of.

Texas its prenounced

En Bee Bee EFFERS....NBBFers. yeah, I'm an effer.

We can do a theme song based on the old Dr Pepper commercial.

"I'm an effer, you're an effer, he's an effer , would you like to be an effer too? :rockon:

:brick:

Ok, I'll stop now. :sorry:

ALLD
02-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Did Deshea sign with the Cards or was that still in the interview process?

Wonder if Rod would be interested. Ty Law could probably break into coaching here as well.

Nevermind, I just saw this: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/6742-Hall-of-Famer-Woodson-joins-Raiders-staff-as-DB-coach (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/6742-Hall-of-Famer-Woodson-joins-Raiders-staff-as-DB-coach)

Now if you'll all excuse me a moment, I need to go do some of this: :frusty:

Woodsen went to the friggen Raiders. I don't believe it.

Psycho Ward 86
02-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Move over there Ed. I'm the very proud CEO of the AAC. :clap2: :heh:

So - scoring 20 pts. or more in 12 out of 19 games this season, including the playoffs and XLV, doesn't constitute scoring? Yes - the defense got us a few of those scores but all in all, our O produced. You appear to be one of these people who expect the Steelers O to put up 50+ points per game or they suuuuuuuuck. Who gives a rat's weenie how many points the Steelers score - as long as they have more points on the board than their opponents when that final second goes tick tick off that clock - which they DID in 15 games this season. :doh:

Our defense can't be perfect. It's going to let us down sometimes (not just in the superbowl either). And when that happens, our offense is ON IT'S OWN, and needs to be able to score ON ITS OWN. We're fortunate to have such a menace of a defense that can compensate for The most underachieving offense in the league.

I think we can all agree at the very least that our offense has underachieved greatly the last 3 years, with and without injuries.

HometownGal
02-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Our defense can't be perfect. It's going to let us down sometimes (not just in the superbowl either). And when that happens, our offense is ON IT'S OWN, and needs to be able to score ON ITS OWN. We're fortunate to have such a menace of a defense that can compensate for The most underachieving offense in the league.

By the same token, our O can't be perfect either. :doh: :doh: In addition, there is always a DC on the other side of the ball plotting and scheming to stop our O. That's what a DC gets paid to do.

Our O DID SCORE ON ITS OWN for most of the season and particularly when it mattered most - in the biggest game of the year. 25 points - which most likely would have been more if not for the 3 turnovers, particularly Mendy's very costly fumble on the Packers 30 YL. In addition, the Steelers O put up 73 of 80 points against 3 pretty damned good defenses (Rats, Jets and Packers) which is highly commendable.

The way I look at it is we are extremely fortunate to have a HC, an OC and a QB who are so much in tune with each other. The Steelers O produced well this season and I think you'd have to be blind not to see that.

I think we can all agree at the very least that our offense has underachieved greatly the last 3 years, with and without injuries.

Sorry, buddy - I think you'd best get in to see your eye doctor. ;)

Psycho Ward 86
02-15-2011, 06:03 PM

Sorry, buddy - I think you'd best get in to see your eye doctor. ;)

So you think this offense has reached it's potential? I think not, we are a hell of a lot better than what we've showed the past 3 years. And I betcha if we stay healthy and the young guns keep stepping up, we will all laugh that we ever called this an offense.

Count Steeler
02-15-2011, 06:10 PM
So you think this offense has reached it's potential? I think not, we are a hell of a lot better than what we've showed the past 3 years. And I betcha if we stay healthy and the young guns keep stepping up, we will all laugh that we ever called this an offense.

The key to our underachieving offense. We see the potential because we know what can be accomplished by this group when all is going according to plan. But you are saying you don't like the planner. I think Bruce is showing improvement year in and year out, and given another year under everyone's belt and hopefully a healthy team, Ben and the boys should put up some numbers like 2009.

HometownGal
02-15-2011, 06:11 PM

What exactly do you define as "potential"? Considering Ben and the RB's had to play the majority of the season and up to and including the Super Bowl with a patchwork OL - the running game was leaps and bounds better than last season. Considering the majority of our WR corps consisted of a second year receiver and 2 rooks, our passing game flourished. Considering the number of dumb ass penalties our OL took at the most inopportune of times, we still put some decent points up on the board in 12 of 19 games. BA and the O did what was asked of them this season (other than the turnovers which cost us a 7th Lombardi, but that is not attributable to either BA or Coach T) and you'd have to be blind as a bat not to clearly see that.

Texasteel
02-15-2011, 06:14 PM

I think there are times when all offenses and defenses do not play up to their potential. If you look at our offense I think you will find the the offense normally played well when the line played well. Very much like it did in the playoffs. Does this mean that the OC is at fault. No, It means that part of the team did not play well. The same can be said about our defense. Yes, our offense and defense can play better, so could the Packer, the Patriot, and every other team. To try to hang this on one man is just a little silly. Almost as silly as screaming the game is over before the 1st quarter is over..

HometownGal
02-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Ben and the boys should put up some numbers like 2009.

Numbers don't mean jack, hon, if the team isn't winning games. As I've always said - I don't give a rat's bootie how many points the Steelers put on that board as long as they WIN the game. Stats don't win games or Lombardis. :drink:

Count Steeler
02-15-2011, 06:17 PM
THREE TURNOVERS!!!!

FIRE ARIANS, HANG EM HIGH!

THREE TURNOVERS!!!!!

Count Steeler
02-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Numbers don't mean jack, hon, if the team isn't winning games. As I've always said - I don't give a rat's bootie how many points the Steelers put on that board as long as they WIN the game. Stats don't win games or Lombardis. :drink:

I'll take the 2009 offensive numbers with either 2008 or 2010 defensive numbers. Hopefully our team puts together solid performances from the O, the D and the ST. Lombardi #7, will surely be ours.

Texasteel
02-15-2011, 06:25 PM
I think this team is solid. We have kept the coaching staff together, a staff that the players are complete behind. He have develop, and are developing some fine young talent, and have a great chance to pick up so more fine young talent. Put that with the best fans in the league, and 2011 is going to be a great season. You have my word.

Psycho Ward 86
02-15-2011, 07:01 PM
I think Bruce is showing improvement year in and year out, and given another year under everyone's belt and hopefully a healthy team, Ben and the boys should put up some numbers like 2009.

I hope that was a joke, because the last thing we need is an offense that looks like the one in '09.

The Duke
02-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Only reason we had "good numbers" in 09 is because we were constantly behind or gave up a lead and had to catch up

I love heath, but I hope not to see him with over 800 yards anytime soon again. That would mean we're playing catchup A LOT and not using him for blocking where he excels

Chidi29
02-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Only reason we had "good numbers" in 09 is because we were constantly behind or gave up a lead and had to catch up

I love heath, but I hope not to see him with over 800 yards anytime soon again. That would mean we're playing catchup A LOT and not using him for blocking where he excels

Have to disagree there. Heath isn't the most athletic tight end and is a great blocker but that doesn't mean he should be used as a blocker too often. Nor does it mean his success correlate to playing catchup. He's a safety valve and threat in his own right.

With the contract we gave him, I hope we gets 1000 yards.

Craic
02-16-2011, 01:02 AM
Just like 27th in red zone scoring.

Nope.

We were actually 11th in Points per Red Zone Appearance. http://www.nflstatanalysis.net/2010/05/red-zone-stats-part-1-more-analysis-to.html

Don't know about you, but I'll take being in the top third (ok, missed by one) in points per appearance ANYDAY.

Dino 6 Rings
02-16-2011, 10:42 AM
He'd draft a fullback?

That's not his role. His job is to create a gameplan based on what he is given. If you want a blocking fullback, talk to Tomlin and Colbert.

From Week 7 and later, we used a fullback over 100 times, not even counting the Pony formations where Redman is in at FB.

yeah, I know he doesn't actually do the drafting. But he can also have imput into the decision making pointing out Flaws in our Offense that could be addressed by positional draft picks. As if he has no say, sure thing.

We could use a Fullback. That's the bottom line. That "no fullback in my offense" crap doesn't fly with me.

Dino 6 Rings
02-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Nope.

We were actually 11th in Points per Red Zone Appearance. http://www.nflstatanalysis.net/2010/05/red-zone-stats-part-1-more-analysis-to.html

Don't know about you, but I'll take being in the top third (ok, missed by one) in points per appearance ANYDAY.

yeah, but top 5 would be so much nicer than 11th.

Dino 6 Rings
02-16-2011, 10:52 AM
I mean...is it TOO MUCH to ask for to have a Top 5 Offense to go along with our Top 5 Defense and beat teams not named the Browns by 20 points or more?

I mean really, its not like I need 52-0 blow outs (but I'd take them) We should score on at least 4 possessions a game. Win games 28-10, 27-3, 31-13, 28-7, 23-7. Thats all us NBBFers are really asking for.

lets be Dominant on BOTH sides of the ball for once.

Oh, and get our Effing Special Teams ironed out. Dang it!

HometownGal
02-16-2011, 01:06 PM
I mean...is it TOO MUCH to ask for to have a Top 5 Offense to go along with our Top 5 Defense and beat teams not named the Browns by 20 points or more?

I mean really, its not like I need 52-0 blow outs (but I'd take them) We should score on at least 4 possessions a game. Win games 28-10, 27-3, 31-13, 28-7, 23-7. Thats all us NBBFers are really asking for.

Ughhhhhhhh. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Again - who freakin' cares where we are ranked as long as we are winning games????

st33lersguy
02-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Another year of boneheaded neanderthal playcalling, ignoring Issac Redman, and not attacking defenses

Chidi29
02-16-2011, 04:14 PM
yeah, I know he doesn't actually do the drafting. But he can also have imput into the decision making pointing out Flaws in our Offense that could be addressed by positional draft picks. As if he has no say, sure thing.

We could use a Fullback. That's the bottom line. That "no fullback in my offense" crap doesn't fly with me.

Yet Tomlin and Colbert have more input on who we draft. They have final say. Arians doesn't run the draft room.

We do use a fullback. That's the bottomline. Regardless of what he has said in the past, which seems to be so old it could have been taken out of context for all I know.

We used David Johnson at FB over 100 times from Week 7 to the end of the regular season.

HometownGal
02-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Another year of boneheaded neanderthal playcalling, ignoring Issac Redman, and not attacking defenses

You got the boneheaded part right. Another year of boneheaded scapegoating, ignoring our offensive successes and giving the defense a free pass when they shit the bed.

Texasteel
02-16-2011, 04:18 PM
BA not only started the season without his starting QB, but had to play 3 different QBs in the first 4 game because of injuries, He didn't have a very good OL to begin with, and then it was decimated by injuries, not to mention loosing one of the most important parts of his offense ( Miller ) for a few games. He was shuffling the line up all year and making due with lesser players, and still we got into the Super Bowl. Once in the Super Bowl we were likely within one fumble of winning the game even after 2 ints. I also think Redman was utilized very well. I am very happy with the neanderthal, and very happy to have him back.

By the way, did I mention that he was without his All Pro center in the SB.

Chidi29
02-16-2011, 04:29 PM

Actually, yes, it is a lot to ask for. To be top five on both sides on the ball in a single season is extremely tough. Anything like that for consecutive seasons is extremely rare.

There was only one team this year that was top 5 in PPG scored and allowed. Only one in top 5 in YPG put up and allowed. One of them didn't make the playoffs (Chargers). One got bounced in the playoffs (Atlanta). You're looking at 1/16 of the league being able to do that this year. Neither success equating to even a Championship Game appearence.

Texasteel
02-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Actually, yes, it is a lot to ask for. To be top five on both sides on the ball in a single season is extremely tough. Anything like that for consecutive seasons is extremely rare.

There was only one team this year that was top 5 in PPG scored and allowed. Only one in top 5 in YPG put up and allowed. One of them didn't make the playoffs (Chargers). One got bounced in the playoffs (Atlanta). You're looking at 1/16 of the league being able to do that this year. Neither success equating to even a Championship Game appearence.

It's a little bit of a shock to find out that both SD, and Atlanta had a better year than we did. DAMN!

Dino 6 Rings
02-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Ughhhhhhhh. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Again - who freakin' cares where we are ranked as long as we are winning games????

Um...because we didn't win the BIGGEST EFFING GAME OF THE YEAR! sO I do Kind of Care about that.

It would be nice to know we are getting points when the offense has the ball. That our Defense can pin its ears back on a more consistant basis because they are playing with a Big Lead.

Look, we almost always have a top 5 Defense. All I'm saying is it would be Great to have a top 5 offense to go with that. We have the Talent to get the job done, in the running game, the receiver corp and the QB. We have a great TE and yet...we don't score on a consistant basis when we have to or when we can. You get what? 8-9, maybe 12 possessions a game. Scoring on 5 or 6 of them isn't too much to ask.

Packers Punted 6 times in the SB, and kicked off 6 times. That's 12 possessions. We had 4 successful scoring possessions. If that makes you happy, great, but I have a right to my opinion and I say, That Is Not Enough.

The Duke
02-17-2011, 11:19 AM
I also think Redman was utilized very well.

Well honestly, that's one of my few complaints. Not sure if it's a tomlin or arians decision, but imo Redman should have been used more. Mainly to keep mendenhall fresh, and for him to last long

he proved in most games he could play, so I don't understand how there were games in which he was barely on the field. That should change next year though, he must have earned the coaches' confidence by now

HometownGal
02-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Um...because we didn't win the BIGGEST EFFING GAME OF THE YEAR! sO I do Kind of Care about that.

Not winning the Super Bowl had absolutely nothing to do with rankings or stats, unless you want to consider those 3 turnovers stats. Those are what killed us.

It would be nice to know we are getting points when the offense has the ball. That our Defense can pin its ears back on a more consistant basis because they are playing with a Big Lead.

We ARE getting points when the offense has the ball. :doh: See my references above. Surely you realizse we aren't going to score on every single possession - that is unrealistic.

Look, we almost always have a top 5 Defense. All I'm saying is it would be Great to have a top 5 offense to go with that. We have the Talent to get the job done, in the running game, the receiver corp and the QB. We have a great TE and yet...we don't score on a consistant basis when we have to or when we can. You get what? 8-9, maybe 12 possessions a game. Scoring on 5 or 6 of them isn't too much to ask.

Sure it would be great - I'm not denying that. But - rankings and stats aren't important in the grand scheme of things. The score at the end of the game IS, whether it is 13-10 or 60-0.

Packers Punted 6 times in the SB, and kicked off 6 times. That's 12 possessions. We had 4 successful scoring possessions. If that makes you happy, great, but I have a right to my opinion and I say, That Is Not Enough.

Yes you do have a right to your opinion and I have a right to mine. Had it not been for the 3 Steelers turnovers, we may have had another 3 successful scoring possessions, especially when Mendy fumbled on the Pack's 30 YL. My opinion is that as long as the score at the end of the game bodes in the Steelers favor, that's all that matters to me.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-17-2011, 11:34 AM
BA not only started the season without his starting QB, but had to play 3 different QBs in the first 4 game because of injuries, He didn't have a very good OL to begin with, and then it was decimated by injuries, not to mention loosing one of the most important parts of his offense ( Miller ) for a few games. He was shuffling the line up all year and making due with lesser players, and still we got into the Super Bowl. Once in the Super Bowl we were likely within one fumble of winning the game even after 2 ints. I also think Redman was utilized very well. I am very happy with the neanderthal, and very happy to have him back.

By the way, did I mention that he was without his All Pro center in the SB.

He did deal without his starting QB for the first 4 games and I would say the scaled down playcalling, relying on Mendenhall and the defense worked out rather well. Then when he got his starting QB back things seemed to revert to the high risk -high reward type of offense that cost us in games vs the Jets, Patriots, Saints and Packers.

Never been a big Arians fan, but always been a Steelers fan.

fansince'76
02-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Look, we almost always have a top 5 Defense.

And we were also about 2-3 pinpoint accurate passes which should have been caught by wide open Packers' receivers from them dropping around 45-50 points on us and Rodgers having a 400-yard as opposed to a 300-yard day. Considering how we routinely get shredded by the better QBs in the league anymore, those rankings don't mean much to me.

Akagi
02-17-2011, 11:49 AM
OMG !!!

Good. I like the guy, I like the way he lets Roethlisberger run free.

Dino 6 Rings
02-17-2011, 01:28 PM
And we were also about 2-3 pinpoint accurate passes which should have been caught by wide open Packers' receivers from them dropping around 45-50 points on us and Rodgers having a 400-yard as opposed to a 300-yard day. Considering how we routinely get shredded by the better QBs in the league anymore, those rankings don't mean much to me.

right, and an arm hit away from not giving up a pick 6, a Wide Open Wallace away from taking the lead and a 3rd and 10 completion by Rodgers away from having the ball back with over 5 mins left on the clock down by 3.

I'm not a Big Bruce Arians Fan, that's clear. I did like that he got more balanced this season, that made me happy. However, I still have issues with some of his situational playcalling and the lack of scoring by his offense. 20-20 it seems to be fine, but Redzone playcalling is horrible, both ways, when we are backed up and when we are inside the 20.

The much Blamed Defense held the Packers offense to 24 points. 14 were off Offensive Turnovers that lead to scoring drives. The Offense scored 25 points and gave up 7. Had the Offense Done its job, and had the Bar set higher, with HIGHER Expectations of 30 points or more, then maybe we win that freaking game.

I'm just tired of being "happy" with the "First one to 20 wins" Mentality we seem to have because we do have such a dominating defense year after year.

I do realize you can't score on Every Drive...but scoring on 4 out of 12 while giving up a pick 6 isn't exactly awesome. We must have a Higher Standard from our Offensive Production and Balanced Attack.

But we disagree on our belief in Arians ability to call a great game, each and every week.

HometownGal
02-17-2011, 02:10 PM
The much Blamed Defense held the Packers offense to 24 points. 14 were off Offensive Turnovers that lead to scoring drives. The Offense scored 25 points and gave up 7. Had the Offense Done its job, and had the Bar set higher, with HIGHER Expectations of 30 points or more, then maybe we win that freaking game.

I don't recall anyone blaming the defense for the Super Bowl loss. However - 25 + a possible 14-17 points that we quite possibily would have scored if not for the turnovers = 39-42 points. 30+ points. I'm quite sure BA didn't game plan for Ben to toss 2 picks (one a pick 6) or for Mendy to cough up the ball deep in Packers territory when we still had all of the momentum to win that game. :doh:

I'm just tired of being "happy" with the "First one to 20 wins" Mentality we seem to have because we do have such a dominating defense year after year.

I'm happy that we were blessed enough to even get to the Super Bowl in a season full of injuries and adversities. I don't think a one of us really has a right to bitch and moan about anything. We weren't expected to win the division, the AFCC and even get to the big game but we DID and fell 3 turnovers and 6 points short of bringing home #7. Whether you like BA or not, he had a hand in the Steelers very successful season.

I do realize you can't score on Every Drive...but scoring on 4 out of 12 while giving up a pick 6 isn't exactly awesome. We must have a Higher Standard from our Offensive Production and Balanced Attack.

BA didn't give up the pick 6 or Ben's other pick and he surely didn't fumble the ball at the Packers 30. The high standard was there . . . the offensive production was there . . . .the balanced attack was there . . . . but unfortunately, taking penalties at the most inopportune times and 3 very costly fubars sealed our fate.

But we disagree on our belief in Arians ability to call a great game, each and every week.

Yes we do. I believe BA to be a good OC - you don't. We'll have to simply agree to diagree and move on. :drink:

Psycho Ward 86
02-17-2011, 05:34 PM
i hope Redman gets 100-150 touches next season. the guy just comes up big in what little playing he gets! No reason to stray away from something that's working well!

Texasteel
02-17-2011, 06:53 PM
He did deal without his starting QB for the first 4 games and I would say the scaled down playcalling, relying on Mendenhall and the defense worked out rather well. Then when he got his starting QB back things seemed to revert to the high risk -high reward type of offense that cost us in games vs the Jets, Patriots, Saints and Packers.

Never been a big Arians fan, but always been a Steelers fan.

It does not surprise me that he would trust his starting elite QB more than he did he 2nd and 3rd and 4th QB, especially when their games differ so much. If he didn't, he would have been called an idiot. Hell he would be call an idiot by some no matter what he did.

Every coach make calls that cost the team and some that pay off. You can't put those losses on BA, more that Dick or Tomlin, but somehow Arian's name is always the one that comes up.

We played in the Super Bowl. That is something 30 other teams would have loved to do, even the Jet, Patriots, and Saints. To pretend that BA had nothing to do with that is ridiculous.

I am an Arians fan, and a Steeler fan

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-19-2011, 08:18 PM
It does not surprise me that he would trust his starting elite QB more than he did he 2nd and 3rd and 4th QB, especially when their games differ so much. If he didn't, he would have been called an idiot. Hell he would be call an idiot by some no matter what he did.

Every coach make calls that cost the team and some that pay off. You can't put those losses on BA, more that Dick or Tomlin, but somehow Arian's name is always the one that comes up.

We played in the Super Bowl. That is something 30 other teams would have loved to do, even the Jet, Patriots, and Saints. To pretend that BA had nothing to do with that is ridiculous.

I am an Arians fan, and a Steeler fan

I dont pretend that he had nothing to do with the success. I just think that he has gotten in the way of greater success , similar to those that loathe the "Cowherball" days for being too conservative. Never liked the way that the Offensive line, Fullback position and running game were all devalued since 2007. Most of that is a result of the scheme that has been run.

Steeldude
02-19-2011, 10:08 PM
http://blog.timesunion.com/kristi/files/2009/12/grab-bag.jpg

another year of arians