PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Need for the Steelers: Cornerback or O-Line?

stillers4me
02-14-2011, 03:17 PM
“Draft an offensive lineman!”

That has been the Steelers fans’ springtime rallying cry for the last decade or so. And after the 2010 season, it hasn’t changed. Unlike year’s past, though, Pittsburgh had the makings of an above-average unit for the first time since 2005. But injuries — starting in preseason and continuing through the Super Bowl — squashed those plans.

Willie Colon, Max Starks and Maurkice Pouncey gave way to Flozell Adams, Jonathan Scott and Doug Legursky. And while there were rough patches, the replacements were … adequate. Which, all things considered, is probably more than you could ask for.

Assuming Colon and Starks return in 2011 (and assuming there will be an NFL season), the Steelers will be in the market for a starting guard to join Pouncey and Chris Kemoeatu, right? For shiggles, let’s say the team re-signs Scott (the guy was a lightning rod for most of the season, but he held it together during the stretch run; that’s worth something, I’d think), and Flozell returns, too. Should the organization’s first priority be to find a right guard?

Put differently: would that have been the difference in the Steelers’ losses last season?............

Read more @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/02/bigger-steelers-cornerback-oline/

SMR
02-14-2011, 03:26 PM
We should split our focus for the upcoming draft. Half for cornerbacks and half for O-Line, lol.

Chidi29
02-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Provided we re-sign Ike, right guard is a much bigger need than CB.

SMR
02-14-2011, 03:28 PM

HOPEFULLY, we re-sign him. I agree. I do hope to get Asomugha (sp?).

SteelGhost
02-14-2011, 03:32 PM
I'd love to have Pouncey's bro.

Count Steeler
02-14-2011, 03:59 PM
I would say we have 3 main areas to address. Though our Oline performed admirably, I would want an Olineman or 2. Our secondary needs help, so 1 or 2 picks there, unless Lewis and Butler have been playing possum and will sprout forth next year. I think we should also add depth to the Dline.

Of course, I don't think we can resist picking up another linebacker somewhere down the line.

steeldevil
02-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Cornerback. But as long as we take a CB or Olineman in the 1st I will be happy. Those are clearly our biggest needs, 3rd is Dline.

HometownGal
02-14-2011, 04:21 PM
We should split our focus for the upcoming draft. Half for cornerbacks and half for O-Line, lol.

Amen to that. :drink: Both are high priority needs and equally as important.

solardave
02-14-2011, 04:22 PM
I'd love to have Pouncey's bro.

Me too but he'll probably go in the top 5.

SteelerFanInStl
02-14-2011, 05:42 PM
I think that CB is our neediest position for this year, then OL.

Psycho Ward 86
02-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Gee that's a tough question. As long as we stay HEALTHY on the O-line (that's a big if), then I'd say CB is the bigger need.

Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, (Legursky/Foster), and Colon is actually a pretty good O-line!

Texasteel
02-14-2011, 06:06 PM
I have been saying OG for months now, I ain't gona change now, but I think CB is a close 2nd. I really see no reason that we can not take care of both positions this year. I see several fine OGs that will be available in both the 1st and 2nd rounds. I also think there will be several very good CBs in the 1st and 2nd.

zulater
02-14-2011, 06:29 PM

How's that? I'll take the job Ramon Foster was doing late in the season over what McFadden and Gay were doing. By a mile.

Chidi29
02-14-2011, 06:29 PM

Say what?

SMR
02-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Amen to that. :drink: Both are high priority needs and equally as important.

We're in the same boat. Kudos!

Psycho Ward 86
02-14-2011, 07:03 PM

A Center/Guard.....? Top 5? For one thing, people at that position virtually never go that high. Second, Maurkice was significantly better than his brother.

polamalubeast
02-14-2011, 07:12 PM
http://wordpressdev.nepatriotsdraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/nnamdi-asomugha.jpg

:pray::pray::pray:

Iron Steeler
02-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Cornerback... IF and only if he is a top tier MAN COVERAGE cornerback, or Asumugah...

Jordy Nelson pretty much sold me that we need a Cornerback over a Gaurd...

zulater
02-14-2011, 09:21 PM
If we go offensive line it's got to be a tackle. Between Kemo, Foster, Legurskey, and Trai Essexx we're adequetly manned at guard. But both our starting OT's are coming off significant injuries, and neither is close to elite even when healthy. Tackles are a lot more important than guards anyway.

steelerdude15
02-14-2011, 10:39 PM
I hope they draft an OL in the first round.

Steeldude
02-15-2011, 12:10 AM
foster has done pretty good at RG. i personally think kemo needs to be upgraded. he has too many mental lapses. also, for someone supposedly so strong he sure gets pushed back a lot. most liely due to poor technique rather than raw strength.

Steeldude
02-15-2011, 12:12 AM
If we go offensive line it's got to be a tackle. Between Kemo, Foster, Legurskey, and Trai Essexx we're adequetly manned at guard. But both our starting OT's are coming off significant injuries, and neither is close to elite even when healthy. Tackles are a lot more important than guards anyway.

true. i hope there is a good tackle prospect at 31.

fansince'76
02-15-2011, 12:14 AM
http://wordpressdev.nepatriotsdraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/nnamdi-asomugha.jpg

:pray::pray::pray:

It's nice to dream.

Put me down for a tackle in the 1st.

Craic
02-15-2011, 02:35 AM
I think we have three positions on the O line that we do not have to worry about- LG, C, and RT (provided everyone comes back-and comes back healthy). Before this year, I'd have told you that Colon is probably the best OL player we had. He isn't great, but he is definitely good. Kemo fits our scheme very well. He pulls and hits nicely. Sure, he's had a couple mental errors, and that sack killed us in the SB, but more often than not, he is very solid-and truth be told, getting a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct by your O line because they are just mean is NOT such a bad thing.

I still think we can fill LT with Kemo, so I don't worry about Starks. That leaves RG which we can upgrade-but with the glut of players we have-unless someone drops to us that is heads and tails better at RG than any CB is at their position, I would rather see us go CB, and then DL, then worry about the OL. We can worry about picking up a couple scrub linebackers and O line after that to see if we can find a diamond in the rough. But honestly, I don't see anyone making this team that isn't on it already, except in those three positions.

GodfatherofSoul
02-15-2011, 11:10 AM
I'd say we need DBs. From the sounds of commentators, we need a better backup for Troy, we might need a new shutdown corner, and I'd say we need at least some competition at the nickel DB spot. I'm not too worried with our o-line since we got the Super Bowl with backups.

steelreserve
02-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Definitely CB. Our secondary play was the one thing that was a glaring vulnerability, and stopped us from winning a championship this year IMO.

The line will get better next year on its own since we get two guys back from injury. Plus, it's a lot easier to pick up a decent OL outside rounds 1-2 than a decent CB. We've been pretty bad at that for both positions recently, but just stating the odds.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that offensive line will be the one position people will bitch about no matter what we do, because we're never going to have five guys that everyone is happy with. Except if we spend half the salary cap on the OL and let everyone else go, but that's another story. As long as we take a shot at an OL by about the fourth round, I'll be content.

Steel Hurtin
02-15-2011, 02:04 PM
The secondary got shredded in the Super Bowl, while the offensive line performed well above the level anyone gives them credit for. So, I say corner.

Steeldude
02-15-2011, 02:16 PM
the secondary didn't get much help from the scheme either. IMO, the bland and predictable blitzes have become the staple of the steelers it seems. the steelers were not aggressive at all. or maybe i should say they weren't aggressive enough

Steel Hurtin
02-15-2011, 02:19 PM
The coverage was more concerning than the blitzes in my opinion. If the Packers receivers hadn't forgotten how to catch a time or two, or three (you get the picture) that game wouldn't have even been that close, sad to say.

The secondary definitely needs to be able to give the pass rush more help than they have been, it doesn't matter if you've got the best linebackers in the business if the secondary can't stick with their man for a few seconds.

NJarhead
02-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Defensive backfield. We can score, we just can't play with a lead.

X-Terminator
02-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Those of you wishing for Asomugha...please, stop. The Steelers are NOT...repeat NOT...going to sign him. He's going to want a huge contract, more than what Ike apparently wants, and if they're hesitant to give Ike that much, what makes you think they will pay Asomugha? It's not going to happen. Period.

Anyway, I'd go after a corner in the first. To me, that is the biggest need. They can get a decent tackle prospect in the 2nd round.

ALLD
02-15-2011, 05:10 PM
CBs are an immediate need. If one falls to us then we take him. If an OL falls as a better value, then you have something to think about. I just hope our current IR OL did not already peak and have become injury prone. A back up S might be another option.

steelreserve
02-15-2011, 08:28 PM
The coverage was more concerning than the blitzes in my opinion. If the Packers receivers hadn't forgotten how to catch a time or two, or three (you get the picture) that game wouldn't have even been that close, sad to say.

People keep saying this, and it bothers me. Dropped passes are part of the game. We get 2 or 3 "lucky" drops in just about every game we play. I don't think it affects things from one game to another as much as we think.

Having said that, yes, coverage is what we need to get better at. That would also let us not be scared, and use the better schemes with more blitzes.

The Duke
02-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Dropped passes are part of the game.

yup. Especially with the packers. Just read the other day James Jones has 17 drops over the past two seasons!

Nelson had butterfingers all night, but he's also had his struggles for a while

GodfatherofSoul
02-15-2011, 11:21 PM
People keep saying this, and it bothers me. Dropped passes are part of the game. We get 2 or 3 "lucky" drops in just about every game we play. I don't think it affects things from one game to another as much as we think.

Ditto! If Jordy Nelson could catch *and* get open, he's be on another team and not a #3-4 receiver. It all balances out.

JayC
02-18-2011, 05:18 PM
cornerback is bigger to me. i like our oline now for the most part. i don't like kemo though because he is a fool and i'd like to replace him. i'm hoping we look for a cb first in the draft. i don't want to draft another 4rd+ round corner that never pans out. CB early!

86WARD
02-18-2011, 05:30 PM
DB.

However, with the CBA looming and the draft possibly before the draft, the Steelers are in a great position to be able to take the best available player which I hope is what they plan to do whether it be DB, OL, DL, LB...

steelreserve
02-18-2011, 06:06 PM
DB.

However, with the CBA looming and the draft possibly before the draft, the Steelers are in a great position to be able to take the best available player which I hope is what they plan to do whether it be DB, OL, DL, LB...

I really wouldn't be surprised with any of those, except OL. While everyone points at DB as our biggest need, you probably aren't going to get one at #31 that can help you the same year. I'd be surprised if we didn't take one by the end of round 3, but if we want someone competent right away, I think we're stuck trying to sign a medium-level guy as a free agent.

DL honestly seems like the most likely for us in the first round, since that's where we need to plan for the future the most; we're basically down to three reliable guys again and two of them are near the end of their career. (sorry, A. Smith, but I don't think we can count on you to be productive for a whole season anymore).

I would be very surprised to see an OL at #1. We seem to think a lot of Starks and Colon, so we'll probably do what we always do and bring in a low-rounder or two, and hope we get one every couple of years that pans out.

86WARD
02-18-2011, 07:24 PM
If Pouncey is there (which he probably will be long gone,) they'll jump on him. There could be a few decent corners available at 31...Aaron Williams, Jimmy Smith, Brandon Harris all could be available at that spot...

Drafting for need is the first step to failure...if there is a quality player at CB, great. If there is a OL or DL that is better, they'll take him.

Godfather
02-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Corner. We got eaten alive at the Gay/McFadden corner position.

The O-line did its job well enough and will be healthier and deeper next season.

Craic
02-18-2011, 07:53 PM
As I've said in other threads, I have changed my tune on this issue. Sacks just are not as harmful to success as people make them out to be. This O line was able to get us within the top ten in passing yards average (meaning the block well for long enough for our receivers to get downfield), and completed passes per attempt average. For running, we are right about average.

Again, with the players we had missing- that is pretty dang good.

So, focus on D. I've talked about moving up in the first. However, I'd also have no problem moving down into the top of the second, and picking up another 3 rd round pic. Then matching that 3rd round with our second to move up in the second with another team. If the draft is the same as last year, they have all night and the next day to make the calls before the draft commences again. That way, we have two 2 round picks in the top half, and if we don't get a rookie salary scale, won't have to put out the big money either.