PDA

View Full Version : From a Packers Fan to Steelers Fans: Thank You For Being Such Good Sports

stillers4me
02-13-2011, 07:37 PM
I am a die-hard Green Bay Packers fan and just want to let everyone know that having your team win the Super Bowl is even sweeter when the opponent has a strong fan base as well.

And when that opposing fan base is as classy as Steelers fans were before Super Bowl XLV, and as gracious as they have been since, it makes the experience even more rewarding and special for the victors.

The last time Green Bay won the Super Bowl, back in 1997, they defeated the New England Patriots. I lived in Wisconsin at that time and never really felt the wrath of the Patriots fan until moving down south during the following spring. Once the 1997-98 season began, and I started donning my Packers gear, the Patriots fans started coming to the forefront.

My first encounter occurred the morning of the first week of the season. I was at a local grocery store picking up some essentials for a Sunday in front of my television. In the beverage aisle, a burly gentleman in a Patriots jersey slammed into me and let me know how he felt about the Packers (i.e. that Brett Favre and the whole team cheated) and informed me that I was an a-hole. I was just amazed; I could hardly believe that this guy could still be harboring those feelings..................

Read more @
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2011/02/from-a-packers-fan-to-steelers-fans-thank-you-for-being-such-good-sports/

stillers4me
02-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Well done, Steelers Nation.

86WARD
02-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Nice.

BPS3akaWirels3
02-13-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm just wondering where all these Packers fans came from in the last week. I was wearing a Pirates jersey in the grocery store today and some guy stopped us and said he was happy to see I was proud to represent my team even if they are bad. He then said he was a Yankees fan and when I mentioned I am normally wearing a Steelers jersey he said he was a Packers fan (Does that make sense at all?).. In my 37 years I have rarely ever met a Packers fan and I lived in Illinois for 8 years. Now I see a cars, people or something with Packers on it everywhere. If their fan base is so huge and faithful why am I just noticing them in the last week?

I just don't understand the way this happens every year.

steelerdude15
02-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Packers fans are good people and they deserved it. Hell, both teams deserved it. I would say were the two best fans in the NFL. I believe I'm not that upset because of who we lost too. Congrads Green Bay, but I do want to beat you guys... SO BRING IT. :chuckle:

salamander
02-13-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm just wondering where all these Packers fans came from in the last week. I was wearing a Pirates jersey in the grocery store today and some guy stopped us and said he was happy to see I was proud to represent my team even if they are bad. He then said he was a Yankees fan and when I mentioned I am normally wearing a Steelers jersey he said he was a Packers fan (Does that make sense at all?).. In my 37 years I have rarely ever met a Packers fan and I lived in Illinois for 8 years. Now I see a cars, people or something with Packers on it everywhere. If their fan base is so huge and faithful why am I just noticing them in the last week?

Bandwagon fans suck, don't they?

X-Terminator
02-13-2011, 08:42 PM

Funny that you mention that - HTG and I had breakfast at a local IHOP on Friday morning and there was a Packer fan there, sporting his brand new Packers championship hat. I had never seen a Packer fan anywhere in Pittsburgh before. Last year, I saw someone's house with a giant Saints banner on the front. So yeah, it does happen every year - a team wins a championship, and all of a sudden, their bandwagon fills up. I don't get it either.

Edman
02-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Uh, thanks for the class.

But it still doesn't take away from the loss though. I've gotten over it since Tuesday, but it doesn't take away from it. I don't hate the Packers even though we lost. Annoyed? A little. Hate? No.

Craic
02-13-2011, 11:50 PM
I've noticed more around here as well.

However, I also gotta wonder, if that is simply because, since they won the SB, I am more aware of the GB colors and attire now. If it seems to happen every year, I'd think it has just as much to do with our awareness as actual bandwagon fans.

steelreserve
02-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Nobody can accuse me of being a good sport about it. I hate the Packers and their fans and always have. If I met the guy who wrote this article, I would probably throw dog shit at his house.

As a side note, I've been driving around with a dirty, faded, peeling Steelers bumper sticker on my back window for about 3 years now because of the bandwagon fans. About two years ago, it was so fucked up that I was planning on changing it anyway, but then we won the Super Bowl and I didn't dare do it and go around sporting a brand-new one, lest I fall into "that" category. I don'tknow if now is a good time to change it either; I probably could still be mistaken for a bandwagon fan. Last year probably would've been the time to do it.

You know what? Fuck it. I'm changing it anyway tomorrow, and anyone who wants to call me a bandwagoner can just blow me.

HometownGal
02-14-2011, 07:16 AM
I've only come across one or two Packers fans in my entire life and I can't remember them being anything but cordial. Their fan base is so much like ours - diehard and loyal - and I respect them and their team. I don't have any regrets about our season - hell, we weren't even supposed to make the playoffs and we defied the odds! :applaudit:

I've always respected the Packers organization and that isn't going to change. Hell - if we hadn't been on the other side in XLV, I would have rooted for them to win the big game.

Every team has bandwagon fans and those who jump up on that wagon when a team finds the ultimate success in winning a championship in any major sport. The Steelers have them too. The difference, however, is that we as Steelers fans have been so blessed to have had such a winning tradition that, for the most part, spans decades. There really isn't another NFL franchise who can boast that fact. :tt02:

Michael
02-14-2011, 08:51 AM
In the Sacramento area the Packers are the 4th most popular team (before the super Bowl victory) .

I estimate the serious fan base here is as follows ; 49ers 40 %, Steelers 30%, Raiders 20 %, Packers 10%. The Steelers are exttremely popular here and most fans are the children who watched the teams of 70's with their parents , not transplants such as myself.

The Packer fans are quietly loyal and good people . The Steeler fans are good people , loyal but not so quietl LOL. I do not think the Packers have many "on the band wagen types" The 49ers really are band wagen types as they are the "wine and cheese types".

I very much want to see a Steelers- Packers rematch next year. Revenge is sweet.

SteelerEmpire
02-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Yep. Packers were the better team that day. But I've noticed they have 4 weaknesses as well:
1) Their TOO injury prone. So many players out with injuries and Rogers, 27, is already having problems with concussions.
2) You can run the ball all day against them. Thus tiring their defense down (including secondary) and then being able to pick them apart around the 4th qtr.
3) Their receivers can't catch a cold.
4) Their 2nd half play sucks big time.

Their gonna be under the microscope during the off season and have a target on their backs (as SB champs) all of 2011. If they don't rectify those top 4 problems by next season their chances of a deep playoff run are gonna be greatly diminished.

Shawn
02-14-2011, 10:34 AM
I've always respected the Packers organization and that isn't going to change. Hell - if we hadn't been on the other side in XLV, I would have rooted for them to win the big game.

My thoughts exactly. I was very happy to see them beat the other teams in the NFC. If we had to lose, losing to GB was better than any other team in the league in my opinion. The only thing I cannot stand about their fanbase is the cheese hats, LOL.

GodfatherofSoul
02-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Yep. Packers were the better team that day. But I've noticed they have 4 weaknesses as well:
1) Their TOO injury prone. So many players out with injuries and Rogers, 27, is already having problems with concussions.
2) You can run the ball all day against them. Thus tiring their defense down (including secondary) and then being able to pick them apart around the 4th qtr.
3) Their receivers can't catch a cold.
4) Their 2nd half play sucks big time.

Their gonna be under the microscope during the off season and have a target on their backs (as SB champs) all of 2011. If they don't rectify those top 4 problems by next season their chances of a deep playoff run are gonna be greatly diminished.

They won, get over it.

Butch
02-14-2011, 11:51 AM
The Packers have always been a team with a great following right up there with us, and the cryboys for merchandise sales.

I also love that they are owned by the people of Greenbay wish more teams were like that.

I can also name about 4 or 5 people who root for them here at work so there are a few of 'em out there...not as many as us but there are a lot more of them than there are card or seachicken fans. Does anybody know a real cards fan??? Just sayin'.

ALLD
02-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Just like dinosaurs, I have only seen Packers fans on tv or in a museum.

Galax Steeler
02-14-2011, 02:46 PM
I think that goes along ways of how Steeler fans are.

Dino 6 Rings
02-14-2011, 02:47 PM
spit...and growl

Count Steeler
02-14-2011, 04:03 PM
I say we play a rematch at Lambeau field. Nice cold day, with a little bit of snow. Let's play some football. AND NO COMMERCIALS!!!!

solardave
02-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I am a die-hard Green Bay Packers fan and just want to let everyone know that having your team win the Super Bowl is even sweeter when the opponent has a strong fan base as well.

And when that opposing fan base is as classy as Steelers fans were before Super Bowl XLV, and as gracious as they have been since, it makes the experience even more rewarding and special for the victors.

The last time Green Bay won the Super Bowl, back in 1997, they defeated the New England Patriots. I lived in Wisconsin at that time and never really felt the wrath of the Patriots fan until moving down south during the following spring. Once the 1997-98 season began, and I started donning my Packers gear, the Patriots fans started coming to the forefront.

My first encounter occurred the morning of the first week of the season. I was at a local grocery store picking up some essentials for a Sunday in front of my television. In the beverage aisle, a burly gentleman in a Patriots jersey slammed into me and let me know how he felt about the Packers (i.e. that Brett Favre and the whole team cheated) and informed me that I was an a-hole. I was just amazed; I could hardly believe that this guy could still be harboring those feelings..................

Read more @
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2011/02/from-a-packers-fan-to-steelers-fans-thank-you-for-being-such-good-sports/

All you have to do is look at the owner ( who shamelessly hugs the commissioner),the coach who never won anywhere until he started cheating and you can understand that's Patriots fans are douchebags.

solardave
02-14-2011, 04:28 PM
All you have to do is look at the owner ( who shamelessly hugs the commissioner),the coach who never won anywhere until he started cheating and you can understand that's Patriots fans are douchebags.

Oh yeah, I think we're pretty good sports too. If we had to loose I'd rather it be to a great traditional team like the Pack.

Godfather
02-14-2011, 08:13 PM
a burly gentleman in a Patriots jersey slammed into me and let me know how he felt about the Packers (i.e. that Brett Favre and the whole team cheated)

Oh the irony!