PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Ike Taylor ready to cash in?

stillers4me
02-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Given their uncanny ability to draft, develop and advance players, the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/pittsburgh-steelers/67067) rarely lose a veteran for whom they don't have a ready and able replacement.

But the AFC champions might be out of luck in supplanting corner Ike Taylor (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/ike-taylor/140791) if he departs via free agency.

Taylor's agent, Joel Segal, told The Sports Xchange this week that there have been "zero negotiations" to date and that he expects the eight-year veteran to be "a very hot guy" in free agency.

He might be right.

It could be time to break out of the closet those old, dusty, "I Like Ike" campaign buttons from the 1950s and polish 'em up.

Taylor has some of the poorest hands in the league among cornerbacks, and drops more than his share of would-be interceptions. But coaches, particularly defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, regard him highly. He is the closest thing Pittsburgh has to a "shutdown" cornerback and is a terrific fit for the Steelers' system, a guy who is rarely out of position in coverage and plays the run well.................

read more @
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-offseason-tip-sheet-Ike-Taylor-Pittsburgh-Steelers-021111

steelreserve
02-13-2011, 06:09 PM
This is about the one thing I would like least if it happened. However, they have a point: If what Taylor means by "shit happens" is that he's looking for $8 million a year, I don't think there's anything we can do about it.

Count Steeler
02-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Steelers will not overpay Taylor. They will offer what they deem to be fair. If Ike wants to walk, oh well. It will hurt us defensively in the short term, unless we can pickup a CB off free agency, or we get lucky in the draft.

HometownGal
02-13-2011, 07:17 PM
This is about the one thing I would like least if it happened. However, they have a point: If what Taylor means by "shit happens" is that he's looking for $8 million a year, I don't think there's anything we can do about it.

I agree. While I would hate like hell to lose Ike, the Steelers aren't going to bust the bank on him. If he gets a juicy offer, he'd be a fool not to take it especially at this point in his career.

86WARD
02-13-2011, 07:44 PM
They can't overpay him, but if they lose him, they're secondary is fucked...

JayC
02-13-2011, 11:21 PM
we're screwed if we can't keep him, yet i don't want to overpay for his services. if he thinks he deserves top cb money in the league then screw him

pepsyman1
02-13-2011, 11:30 PM
I agree, I like Ike, but he doesn't command huge money. Ike definitely has better cover skills than Gay or McFadden, but he's certainly no Revis. And unless Lester Hayes has created some invisible, undetectable stick em that Ike can try I don't expect that we'll ever see more than 1 or 2 interceptions a year out of Ike.

Craic
02-13-2011, 11:40 PM
I'd like to know where INT's have become THE standard for DB's. Seems to me, that passes defended and tackles are just as if not more important. Sure, an INT may change the game. But I'd rather have a CB with very good coverage skills and bad hands, than one with ok coverage skills and great hands.

I think he is going to probably be number 2 in the FA market. He'll command a decent contract. One that may be a little too rich for the Steelers. However, if we get our guys signed quickly enough, we can tag Taylor if we need to. The league isn't going to back down on tagging IMO.

NCSteeler
02-13-2011, 11:55 PM
I love the comments on the article, all wishing Ike would go away. Do these chuckle heads even know who else is on the roster, do they know it's highly unlikely steelers would go after a big FA. At this point it should be obvious that Taylor is our best option, unless someone else wants to throw money at him. I personally think he'll get lost in the Champ/Namdi bidding war shuffle and find out nobody wants him as much as the steelers do. Not only do we need to resign him, we need to draft a CB first round or sign a reliable vet, because it is also obvious that Mcburnt and Gay are far from where we need to be. Who the hell knows the status of any of our young corners, one can only guess, that if they couldn't beat out Gay, they must not be close to ready

steelreserve
02-14-2011, 01:02 AM
I agree. While I would hate like hell to lose Ike, the Steelers aren't going to bust the bank on him. If he gets a juicy offer, he'd be a fool not to take it especially at this point in his career.

One thing I've kind of learned over the years is that we tend to have good luck in these situations where we really NEED a guy to stay and he's been here for a while. They tend to re-sign for something reasonable most of the time. In this case, I'm guessing we keep him for something in the neighborhood of $6M a year for 3 years. Not ideal, but it won't kill us.

If it comes down to it and Taylor is asking for $8M or $10M ... then hell, we might as well just say screw it and go after Nnamdi instead.

The Duke
02-14-2011, 03:08 AM
I'd like to know where INT's have become THE standard for DB's.

fantasy football? wouldn't surprise me....

I still think Ike will accept the fair offer that will be given to him. Asomugha, Marshall and Bailey will command a huge market, and there obviously won't be enough money to go around. So even if he does test the waters I see him coming back to us. Or at least I'm hoping....

Craic
02-14-2011, 03:20 AM
One thing I've kind of learned over the years is that we tend to have good luck in these situations where we really NEED a guy to stay and he's been here for a while. They tend to re-sign for something reasonable most of the time. In this case, I'm guessing we keep him for something in the neighborhood of $6M a year for 3 years. Not ideal, but it won't kill us.

If it comes down to it and Taylor is asking for $8M or $10M ... then hell, we might as well just say screw it and go after Nnamdi instead.

Gotta say I agree.

Of course, a 5 year deal at 30 Mill, with 15 guaranteed is not a bad deal. With the knowledge that it is, in all likelihood, a 3-4 year contract, That means a 3 Mill hit a year, plus the front loaded portion of say 2 Mill, 2.5 mil 2.5 mill 3 mil and 5 mil, for a hit o 5m, 5.5m, 5.5m, 6m, 8m.

The last two years of which will either be renegotiated, or he'll be cut, with us carrying 3 mil in dead money for one or two years.

That puts us right in the ballpark of 5-6 mill for 4 years, and guarantees him 15, plus 7 for the first three years (can't afford to take a 11.5 or 14 mill hit in one cap year), or 22 mill that he can pretty much count on.

GodfatherofSoul
02-14-2011, 10:52 AM
I'd like to know where INT's have become THE standard for DB's. Seems to me, that passes defended and tackles are just as if not more important.

One implies the other. If you're getting picks, you have to be in a great position to defend passes. And, if you're in a great position to defend a pass, you're probably there for the tackle as well. Of course, lots of factors can skew numbers (e.g. Ike not being able to catch).

steelpride12
02-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Now Ike does deserve a pretty big payday and I know the Steelers will work out a great deal for him, but if Ike in anyway becomes greedy we all know the Steelers won't budge and spend more. He is worth every penny and truly is the best player at the DB position, but the Steelers are always looking for young players in the draft and Ike will easily get waved away.

ALLD
02-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Ike will not do as well anywhere else because he is a product of the system. He would be a #2 on any other team.

steelerdude15
02-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Even though I like Ike and he's our best corner, he can walk if he thinks he deserves top of the line money. He should have a reasonable deal offered, but nothing too extravagant. He is better than Willie and Bryant, but he has his inconsistencies as well. He isn't exactly a shut-down corner and does give up some big plays, so no, he doesn't deserve a top dollar contract.

SteelerFanInStl
02-14-2011, 03:14 PM
I'd like to know where INT's have become THE standard for DB's. Seems to me, that passes defended and tackles are just as if not more important. Sure, an INT may change the game. But I'd rather have a CB with very good coverage skills and bad hands, than one with ok coverage skills and great hands.

I agree. BTW, Revis and Asomugha both had 0 INT this year. Asomugha has a TOTAL of 3 INTs for the past 4 years. I also find it interesting that Asomugha only had 19 total tackles and 6 passes defensed this year. Obviously other teams avoid him but those are some very weak stats for an All Pro player. I didn't see much of the Raiders this year. Was he just manned up on a guy all the time or what? You'd think he'd at least get some tackles in run support.

We need to sign Ike, plain and simple.

BlastFurnace
02-14-2011, 04:32 PM
we're screwed if we can't keep him, yet i don't want to overpay for his services. if he thinks he deserves top cb money in the league then screw him

I disagree. If there is anyone on the Steelers that they need to overpay for this season it is Ike. Without Ike, get ready for 24+ a game by the other team. The remaining DB's on the Steelers (Other than Troy) are terrible. Ike is a must sign. Much higher than Lamar "Milkcarton" Woodley.

steelreserve
02-14-2011, 08:45 PM
I disagree. If there is anyone on the Steelers that they need to overpay for this season it is Ike. Without Ike, get ready for 24+ a game by the other team. The remaining DB's on the Steelers (Other than Troy) are terrible. Ike is a must sign. Much higher than Lamar "Milkcarton" Woodley.

Except that if Ike wants to demand top CB money ... we could actually get a REAL top CB instead. It's not like he has a gun to our head this time.

tube517
02-15-2011, 12:15 AM
We all know who will go after him. Ken Whisencowher.

fansince'76
02-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Of course, once the CBA expires this could all pretty much go out the window and Ike comes back for a relatively modest 20% raise (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/02/11/nfl-labor-free-agency.ap/index.html)....

RushHard34
02-15-2011, 09:38 PM
I really like this Crezdon Butler kid....with a year under his belt in the system, dont be surprised if you see him fighting for some PT.