PDA

View Full Version : Mike Pouncey, OL, Florida

crcsnail
02-13-2011, 04:31 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Shutdown-40-32-Mike-Pouncey-OL-Florida?urn=nfl-320549

With the 2010 NFL season in the books, it's time to turn our eyes to the NFL draft, and the pre-draft evaluation process. Before the 2011 scouting combine begins on February 24, we'll be taking a closer look at the 40 draft-eligible players who may be the biggest difference-makers when all is said and done.

We continue our series with Florida lineman Mike Pouncey. The brother of Pittsburgh Steelers center Maurkice took over the Gators' center position for his brother after 28 starts at right guard (Pouncey also played defensive tackle as a true freshman). After misfiring three snaps in the season opener against Miami of Ohio, Pouncey changed his stance (putting his right foot back a bit) and his grip and that seemed to solve the problem over time.

In his Florida career, Pouncey amassed eight tackles, a tackle for loss, and one interception as a defensive tackle (the pick came against Chad Henne(notes) and Michigan in the Capital One Bowl). Though he's noted for his versatility, he's projected as a guard in the NFL, and that's the focus of this scouting report.

Pros: Very good and quick with his feet off the snap;

im not really that up on the draft even though i have been a fan for many years. probably because in the uk it never got any coverage until the internet came along.

anyway do u guys think mike would be a good addition to the steelers , if they can get him. when do u think he will go first rounder or second or third?

Galax Steeler
02-13-2011, 07:42 AM
I think he will be gone by the time we pick at 31. I would like to have him but I figure he will go in the twenties.

Texasteel
02-13-2011, 07:55 AM
I think Mike go's to Philly, but there will be other directions we can go.

86WARD
02-13-2011, 02:39 PM
He should be long gone...but yes please...if he is there.

The Duke
02-13-2011, 08:38 PM
He won't get past Seattle and Philly. And heck, even if he does Baltimore would get him

vader29
02-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Maybe Whis will pick him in Arizona to continue their copy of us.

LLT
02-14-2011, 08:46 AM
He won't get past Seattle and Philly. And heck, even if he does Baltimore would get him

Baltimore HAS to get a cornerback..they have put it off way to long...but I think you are right on the mark with Philly.

Texasteel
02-14-2011, 09:44 AM

I see Seattle and Philly as the biggest threats. If he make it past them we just may have a chance. If he is gone watch for Carimi. I have read that he has worked out at OG a little and looked pretty good. Remember until Colon signs we do have a potential RT problem, and I'm still not sold that he couldn't play LT better than the people we have now.

The Duke
02-14-2011, 11:38 AM
I see Seattle and Philly as the biggest threats. If he make it past them we just may have a chance. If he is gone watch for Carimi. I have read that he has worked out at OG a little and looked pretty good. Remember until Colon signs we do have a potential RT problem, and I'm still not sold that he couldn't play LT better than the people we have now.

You think we have a chance at Carimi? That would be amazing!

I've been dreaming about having him since Reynolds did not declare. But never thought he was an actual possibility. And I'm glad he can play guard too. If there's one thing tomlin loves is position versatility.

LLT
02-14-2011, 11:54 AM
I think that there is a very good chance that Carimi is there at #31. I am going back and forth with him and Aaron Williams. I think our weakest link is the CB slot opposite Taylor...and has been for several years. That being said...we need depth at OT and OG even if they line did overachieve this year.

The direction we go might have more to do with if there is a "run" on certain positions in this draft.

Texasteel
02-14-2011, 11:55 AM
You think we have a chance at Carimi? That would be amazing!

I've been dreaming about having him since Reynolds did not declare. But never thought he was an actual possibility. And I'm glad he can play guard too. If there's one thing tomlin loves is position versatility.

Duke, I think Carimi is going to be a possibility. He seems to be moving down a little since some have questioned his footwork. Keep a close eye on him in the combines, and pray he has a stomach virus all week. I do think we have a shot.

Steeldude
02-23-2011, 02:38 AM
Mike Pouncey

Strengths:
• Prototypical height and bulk with a large frame
• Athletic with great balance, agility and quickness
• Nimble feet and able to slide laterally and mirror
• Is stout at the point of attack with a wide base
• Decent power and gets adequate push in run game
• Strong and capable of locking on / sustaining blocks
• Range to pull, work in space and reach second level
• Top football IQ with superb instincts and awareness