PDA

View Full Version : Father Time Steelers' biggest hurdle to return to Super Bowl

stillers4me
02-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Steeler fans, I feel your pain. After closing the gap to 21-17 in Super Bowl XLV (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011020600/2010/POST22/steelers@packers), it looked as though the game was playing into Pittsburgh's hands. Even on the final drive, it was almost as if it was a foregone conclusion that Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.nfl.com/players/benroethlisberger/profile?id=ROE750381) would make plays out of the pocket, hit some of those annoying dinks and dunks that drive guys like Dom Capers crazy, and ultimately lead the Steelers to the winning touchdown.

Didn't happen. And thus begins the 2011 offseason for Steel City. As we continue our series of exit interviews, we take a look at some issues confronting the defending AFC champs.

1. Age becoming a concern?

One issue that could become huge is age. Having a veteran team is good, but much of the core is either rapidly approaching 30, or well past it. Pittsburgh has 23 guys on its roster that will either turn 30 in 2011, or are already past it. The majority of them are on defense.
Coach Mike Tomlin and his staff must find ways to take some of the toll off players in minicamps, training camp and preseason to save some legs, while also getting younger players first team reps as much as possible. One draft will not completely fix this concern.................

Read more @ http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e36d93/article/father-time-steelers-biggest-hurdle-to-return-to-super-bowl?module=HP_cp2

SMR
02-12-2011, 03:40 PM
I do think age is factoring in heavily towards the veterans. We need to keep bringing in rookies for the long term (i.e. Brown, Sanders, Pouncey, Legursky, etc...)

zulater
02-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Bah, besides Farrior, and Ward, who of significance has shown any sign of decline? I think we have far more ascending players than those on the decline.

Here's my list of players who are at or just are reaching their peak.

Lawrence Timmons

Rashard Mendenhall

Lamarr woodley

Mike Wallace

Maurkice Pouncey

emanuel sanders

antoine Brown

ziggy Hood

Isaac Redman

Ramon Foster

Willie colon

Now here's guys in their peak that show no signs of slippage.

Big Ben

Heath Miller

Brett Keisel

there's nothing wrong with this team that drafting and or signing some good defensive backs wouldn't cure.

Craic
02-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Funny, we hear this every single year.

Every single year, it ends up not being an issue.

Farrior played some of his best ball yet this year. Butler says Harrison is the EXACT same in speed and strength as when he began in Pittsburgh. Honestly, the only place that I really see age an issue right now, is on the DL, and frankly, that is the place where age is the LEAST concern. Age doesn't mean a loss of strength as much as a loss of speed.

NCSteeler
02-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Whether you believe it or not, they can't keep defying the age odds. The good news is this is likely the deepest 5 technique DE and DB draft in a long long time.

zulater
02-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Whether you believe it or not, they can't keep defying the age odds. The good news is this is likely the deepest 5 technique DE and DB draft in a long long time.

The Steelers have been flipping the script on talent for 40 years. One unit get old the other gets stronger. the offensive line has been down since 2005, we've compensated in other areas mainly with the defense and a clutch qb. The defensive secondary gets old. We get an influx of young recievers who along with Mendy and Pouncey are just hitting their stride and we outscore teams for the next few seasons while the defense retools.

This is what I know, no team finds elite talent in the draft like the Steelers. We stay good because we have genuine difference makers in key positions.