PDA

View Full Version : AFC North blog: What's next for the Steelers?

stillers4me
02-12-2011, 10:11 AM
As the confetti fell at the conclusion of Super Bowl XLV at Cowboys Stadium, a look of despair and disappointment immediately came over the faces of the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers).

The newly crowned Green Bay Packers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers) were in full celebration mode, while Pittsburgh felt the sting of falling short of its seventh championship.

History weighs heavily against the Steelers (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/24588/will-steelers-suffer-runner-up-curse) -- seven of the past 10 Super Bowl runners-up have failed to make the playoffs the next year.

How do the Steelers avoid becoming another statistic? It will take some smart moves and solid upgrades in the offseason.

"Our goal is to try to get into [the Super Bowl] again, and just don't be on this side again," Steelers receiver Mike Wallace (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12601) said. "Just get back in the lab and work harder. That's all."

Here is a preview of what's next for the Steelers: ..........

read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/24598/whats-next-for-the-steelers

steelreserve
02-12-2011, 10:27 AM
The offensive line ought to improve on its own thanks to all the guys coming back from injury. We need a better backup than Scott, though.

Never has it been so obvious how badly we need to keep Ike Taylor.

GoSlash27
02-12-2011, 10:28 AM
"Seven of the past ten runners-up" aren't built to make consistent playoff appearances. They're built to peak as the dominant team in the league for a short time before falling back into obscurity while they rebuild.
These stats do not apply to us.

TheSikOne
02-12-2011, 01:24 PM
"Seven of the past ten runners-up" aren't built to make consistent playoff appearances. They're built to peak as the dominant team in the league for a short time before falling back into obscurity while they rebuild.

I agree, we are not really one of those teams...but we kinda DID miss the playoffs after we won #5 AND #6...

SMR
02-12-2011, 03:04 PM
I agree, we are not really one of those teams...but we kinda DID miss the playoffs after we won #5 AND #6...

Right you are. We were part of that stat sheet. Sorry. Hopefully, not this time.

NCSteeler
02-13-2011, 08:04 AM

You do realize we are 2 of those seven right??

steelpride12
02-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Im confident that this loss hurt deep in all the players and that it won't be an attempt, but an obligation to return to the big dance next season with a different outcome! The draft SHOULD deal with our secondary and OL woes and if we can sign Woodley and Ike then I only see this team becoming better next season.

Dino 6 Rings
02-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Up Next, another AFC North Title and a Playoff Birth with the goal of a 7th Trophy.

After all...

THE STANDARD IS THE STANDARD!

fansince'76
02-14-2011, 03:01 PM

True, but look at both the Raiders and Bucs after appearing in the SB in 2002. There's a huge difference between a one-season Super Bowl hangover/swoon and completely falling off the map and absolutely sucking for the better part of the next decade. Steelers fans have no reason nor room to complain. This team generally doesn't go into long rebuilding periods. I also have a feeling our team is going to be playing angry and hungry coming off the SB loss, as opposed to basically kicking back after winning XL and XLIII.

TheSikOne
02-14-2011, 04:21 PM
True, but look at both the Raiders and Bucs after appearing in the SB in 2002. There's a huge difference between a one-season Super Bowl hangover/swoon and completely falling off the map and absolutely sucking for the better part of the next decade. Steelers fans have no reason nor room to complain. This team generally doesn't go into long rebuilding periods. I also have a feeling our team is going to be playing angry and hungry coming off the SB loss, as opposed to basically kicking back after winning XL and XLIII.

Like I said, I agree with the way this team is set up, and i think we should and will play angry next season (if there is one), but you can't say "this statistic doesn't apply to us," because it very well does.

fansince'76
02-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Like I said, I agree with the way this team is set up, and i think we should and will play angry next season (if there is one), but you can't say "this statistic doesn't apply to us," because it very well does.

Actually it doesn't:

seven of the past 10 Super Bowl runners-up have failed to make the playoffs the next year.The Steelers haven't been a Super Bowl runner-up since 1995, and they made the playoffs in 1996 in spite of being stuck with an absolutely horrible QB (Tomczak). Squeezing 10 wins out of that 1996 team was probably one of Cowher's finest coaching jobs. Anyway, they will be coming into 2011 (if there is a season, that is) with a completely different mindset than they had in 2006 and 2009, IMO. They won't have a new "toy" in their clubhouse like they did after winning it all in 2008 (new pool table), for instance. They also won't have the added burden of carrying the bull's eye on their backs for being the defending SB champion - see how mortal the Saints looked in 2010 as compared to 2009 for proof of just how big that bull's eye actually is.

tube517
02-15-2011, 12:00 AM
I don't doubt this team anymore after this past year. With all the injuries and off season distractions, they had no business being 12-4, let alone AFC champs. They should be back in the thick of the race.

TheSikOne
02-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Actually it doesn't:

The Steelers haven't been a Super Bowl runner-up since 1995, and they made the playoffs in 1996 in spite of being stuck with an absolutely horrible QB (Tomczak). Squeezing 10 wins out of that 1996 team was probably one of Cowher's finest coaching jobs. Anyway, they will be coming into 2011 (if there is a season, that is) with a completely different mindset than they had in 2006 and 2009, IMO. They won't have a new "toy" in their clubhouse like they did after winning it all in 2008 (new pool table), for instance. They also won't have the added burden of carrying the bull's eye on their backs for being the defending SB champion - see how mortal the Saints looked in 2010 as compared to 2009 for proof of just how big that bull's eye actually is.

Ohhhhhhh....runner-ups! Very well then, I thought it was just appearances...

fansince'76
02-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Ohhhhhhh....runner-ups! Very well then, I thought it was just appearances...

Yeah, but who knows? I'd like to think they play with an even bigger chip on their shoulder, but they could fall flat on their faces too. I hope that isn't the case.

BnG_Hevn
02-15-2011, 11:57 AM
You do realize we are 2 of those seven right??

You do realize that it is the "runner ups" they're talking about, right?

Than means the last 10 SB LOSERS.