PDA

View Full Version : More Players Signed

Chidi29
02-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Don't think I saw anyone post this.

http://www.yardbarker.com/blog/nflbuzz/source_steelers_re_sign_several_players/4135327

The only new name I came across was kicker Swayze Waters.

Frank Summers, Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith, and Sonny Harris were not offered contracts. Article says we have until Monday before other teams can sign them.

tube517
02-12-2011, 09:07 AM
I'd like to see Grisham take that next step.

GoSlash27
02-12-2011, 10:31 AM
We gotta keep D.C. Shoes!!

steelreserve
02-12-2011, 10:34 AM
I guess it doesn't shock me about the guys we didn't re-sign. Summers has had his chance to impress, and I guess he just didn't, plus he becomes that much more expendable with Redman emerging and Dwyer waiting in the wings. Harris I was a little surprised to see, since I thought we had a high opinion of him. Maybe he was one of those guys with lots of "potential" who develops too slowly or not at all.

And I thought anyone with Cromartie in their name turned out to be a good DB. Or was it just that they turn out to be a pain in the ass against us and not that good overall.

Grisham I would like to see get the last receiver spot, or at least get a chance in another year. I liked what I saw of him from his limited action in real games.

SteelerFanInStl
02-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Frank Summers, Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith, and Sonny Harris were not offered contracts. Article says we have until Monday before other teams can sign them.

That's not what the article says.

Practice squad players FB Frank Summers, DT Sunny Harris and S Da-mon Cromartie-Smith have yet to re-sign. The team has an exclusive seven-day negotiating window with those players which began on Monday.

They might have been offered contracts but they haven't signed. It's possible that they're still negotiating.

7willBheaven
02-12-2011, 12:29 PM
That's not what the article says.

They might have been offered contracts but they haven't signed. It's possible that they're still negotiating.

I was getting ready to type the same thing. Personally if they were on the PS...i would think the team would want them ALL back or they wouldnt have wasted a PS spot on them. Another thing i think...is during the off season they should be able to have more than 80 players if they wanted...with all the players available out there it'd give them a chance to make a team and also give the team more choices/etc...but thats just me.

SteelerEmpire
02-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Yep. This stuff is gettin good...

Chidi29
02-12-2011, 01:00 PM
You're right that I should wrote that wrong. It's not fair to say they won't end up signing. But I figure that if it hasn't happened yet, it probably won't. I don't think there would be a lot of negotiating with practice squad players whose demand is low.

Heck, we might be close to our roster limit. We signed a bunch of players to future contracts during the playoffs.

Chidi29
02-12-2011, 01:04 PM
I guess it doesn't shock me about the guys we didn't re-sign. Summers has had his chance to impress, and I guess he just didn't, plus he becomes that much more expendable with Redman emerging and Dwyer waiting in the wings. Harris I was a little surprised to see, since I thought we had a high opinion of him. Maybe he was one of those guys with lots of "potential" who develops too slowly or not at all.

And I thought anyone with Cromartie in their name turned out to be a good DB. Or was it just that they turn out to be a pain in the ass against us and not that good overall.

Grisham I would like to see get the last receiver spot, or at least get a chance in another year. I liked what I saw of him from his limited action in real games.

I wish we would have, and hope we do, bring Summers back. I have to assume his great work ethic still exists and his run blocking looked a million times better last year than his rookie season.

I think Grisham is overrated, odd to say when referring to a practice squad player. With all due respect, he had one catch against Baltimore and then had a drop on his next target. There are fans who try to call him our "Welker" but the only thing they have in common are their skin color.

Aussie_steeler
02-16-2011, 03:34 AM
http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/source-steelers-2009-5th-round-pick-frank-summer-to-sign-with-san-diego/35024/

Going to the chargers by the sound of this

Goodbye Tank

HometownGal
02-16-2011, 06:24 AM
http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/source-steelers-2009-5th-round-pick-frank-summer-to-sign-with-san-diego/35024/

Going to the chargers by the sound of this

Goodbye Tank

From the article, the Steelers offered him a contract but he opted to ink with San Diego because he felt it was a better fit. Oh well Frank - you're no longer a member of a contender, but a member of a pretender. Good luck. :drink:

salamander
02-16-2011, 07:59 AM
From the article, the Steelers offered him a contract but he opted to ink with San Diego because he felt it was a better fit. Oh well Frank - you're no longer a member of a contender, but a member of a pretender. Good luck. :drink:

Guess he got caught up in all the Phillip Rivers hype. :noidea:

HometownGal
02-16-2011, 08:17 AM

I never understood and never will where the Rivers lovefest comes from. :doh:

Summers probably has at least a chance to make the 53 man roster there.

tube517
02-16-2011, 08:22 AM
I think Tank saw the writing on the wall with Dwyer being on the roster and Redman ahead of him. Also, w/DJ being the primary "FB", he may have not had much choice in trying to make a team.

salamander
02-16-2011, 08:27 AM

My thoughts exactly. Best of luck to him. It's a shame he'll probably never win a championship out there.

Texasteel
02-16-2011, 09:05 AM

There is a hand full of QBs that I think are over hyped, and IMO Rivers tops the list. Your realize that but for the grace of God, he would have been a Steeler.

I liked Summers, but didn't see much room for him on this roster. Hope the best for him.

The Duke
02-16-2011, 09:24 AM
From the article, the Steelers offered him a contract but he opted to ink with San Diego because he felt it was a better fit.

Definitely. Look at what they have done with Tolbert and Jacob Hester. It's a perfect offense for him!

I wish him luck. Always thought he had potential, but it's too crowded here

7willBheaven
02-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Thats unfortunate (if/when it does officially happen)...I liked the guy, solid runner and can catch. I think they didnt utilize his talents properly...instead trying to make him into a full time FB. And as the article states at the end... "some close to the team feel the Steelers didnt properly develop Summers"...i think that there says a lot and i wish Tank well.

Steel Hurtin
02-16-2011, 01:23 PM
San Diego uses a true fullback, which Frank Summers is. Not sure why some don't believe it's a better fit for him.

7willBheaven
02-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Link from the PG...and it looks like the Steelers did re-sign Cro-Smith which is good I liked the kid.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11047/1125791-100.stm

7willBheaven
02-16-2011, 01:35 PM
San Diego uses a true fullback, which Frank Summers is. Not sure why some don't believe it's a better fit for him.

Summers was not a FB...he was a RB in college that the Steelers attempted to make a true 100% fullback. If he does become a true FB...maybe SD can do better at it. But most of SDs current RBs are guys who can play both positions...so Summers can play RB (his strength) and maybe only be an FB every now and then.

Chidi29
02-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Summers was not a FB...he was a RB in college that the Steelers attempted to make a true 100% fullback. If he does become a true FB...maybe SD can do better at it. But most of SDs current RBs are guys who can play both positions...so Summers can play RB (his strength) and maybe only be an FB every now and then.

This. Although his blocking improved by leaps and bounds last season compared to his rookie year.

As others have said, best of luck.

And what's up with the Chargers picking up ex-FBs of ours? They now have two. Billy Latsko and Tank.

steelreserve
02-16-2011, 04:07 PM

Correction -- he's no longer a member of the practice squad of a contender. Being a member of a pretender would be a step up, assuming he makes the team.

KeiselPower99
02-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Im not sure Summers wanted to be used as a FB hence the reason he signed with SD. Whatever. I felt it was a wasted pick.

86WARD
02-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Summers was officially signed by the Chargers. Good riddens...he was a wasted roster spot. Couldn't block, couldn't catch, couldn't run.

Devilsdancefloor
02-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Bummer about tank, but glad to see we signed cromartie

HometownGal
02-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Correction -- he's no longer a member of the practice squad of a contender. Being a member of a pretender would be a step up, assuming he makes the team.

He will most likely get the opportunity to play here and there, but I doubt he'll ever be wearing a Super Bowl ring in San Diego. The Bolts are pretenders and choke in the post-season. I think that's pretty well established.

86WARD
02-17-2011, 07:18 AM

lol...just saw this...

Galax Steeler
02-18-2011, 05:02 AM
Best of luck to the Tank.