PDA

View Full Version : Woodland Hills, WVU grad Lyons signs with Steelers

SteelerSal
02-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Wide receiver Wes Lyons, a Woodland Hills High School and West Virginia graduate, said he has signed with the Steelers.

The 6-foot-8, 245-pounder was a three-year starter for the Mountaineers, finishing his career with 42 receptions for 517 yards, including 20 for 263 yards as a senior in 2009.

Lyons attended a minicamp with the New York Jets last spring but did not play this past season. Lyons worked out for the Steelers in late December and signed a two-year contract with the team Thursday.

Read more: Woodland Hills, WVU grad Lyons signs with Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_722408.html#ixzz1DfU3nht0

SteelerSal
02-11-2011, 10:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r07tmiDOMO0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SteelerSal
02-11-2011, 10:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hAPNTyNiAg&feature=player_embedded

Austin87
02-11-2011, 10:45 AM
The 6-foot-8, 245-pounder...WOW! Gotta be one of the biggest WR's ever.

SteelerFanInStl
02-11-2011, 10:48 AM
At 6' 8" that guy is huge! Do you think he could put on some pounds and play TE?

Merchant
02-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Give him a jump ball in the endzone. Good luck defending it.

Steeldude
02-11-2011, 11:09 AM
or is he another burress? no hands and no fundamentals

tube517
02-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Harold Carmichael did pretty well at 6'8" but that block that Sal posted was sick!

The 6-foot-8, 245-pounder...WOW! Gotta be one of the biggest WR's ever.

SteelerEmpire
02-11-2011, 12:14 PM
We now have the speed (Wallace), agility (Ward, Sanders and Brown) and now the size at WR... Ben should just be able to "close his eyes" and throw the ball and there should be a completion... lol.

pepsyman1
02-11-2011, 01:09 PM
It LOOKS like he's got pretty good hands. It would be nice to give Ben another weapon like that. What's that sound I hear? Oh, I think it's Sweed's last chance pulling away from the curb....lol

XxKnightxX
02-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Jump Ball to lyons, AND THATS A PITTSBURGH STEELERS TD. Now lets get this CBA done lol.

NJarhead
02-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Wonder if he could add about 10 lbs and take Spaeths place.?.?

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2011, 01:35 PM
look forward to seeing him get through camp and learning the playbook.

also looking forward to having Ward another year to help the young guys with fundementals and Blocking techniques.

NJarhead
02-11-2011, 01:37 PM
look forward to seeing him get through camp and learning the playbook.

also looking forward to having Ward another year to help the young guys with fundementals and Blocking techniques.

Can't see this guy ever seeing playing time with the Steelers at WR. These signings all too often are meaningless.

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Can't see this guy ever seeing playing time with the Steelers at WR. These signings all too often are meaningless.

I know...just putting some hope out there. Our receiving group isn't a real "worry point" for me this season, unless Ward does in fact hang them up. If Brown and Sanders can develop half as well as Wallace did from his rookie year, we are golden.

NJarhead
02-11-2011, 01:47 PM
I know...just putting some hope out there. Our receiving group isn't a real "worry point" for me this season, unless Ward does in fact hang them up. If Brown and Sanders can develop half as well as Wallace did from his rookie year, we are golden.

What do you think about my TE idea? Obviously the kid can block. A few more LB's and he might just be able to become a part of a game plan rather than just pushing to break into the roster at WR.

SteelerEmpire
02-11-2011, 01:53 PM

True. But IF we go to an 18 game season, there "may" be room for more receivers if they expand the rosters... This will be one off season that will be about as exciting as the regular season... if you like "drama".

NJarhead
02-11-2011, 02:09 PM
True. But IF we go to an 18 game season, there "may" be room for more receivers if they expand the rosters... This will be one off season that will be about as exciting as the regular season... if you like "drama".

We're not going to an 18 game season. However, we should still look into expanding the rosters.

Chidi29
02-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Had to do a double take at the size but don't get too exicted. Tall receivers are fun to look at but the past couple tall camp guys never had a chance. Micah Rucker and some WR from Michigan St a few years ago.

SteelerEmpire
02-11-2011, 03:16 PM
A good highlight is at 52 secs... lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MPOGvqvcvI

43Hitman
02-11-2011, 04:04 PM
I like the block at 1:43. Nice freaking hit!

SteelerSal
02-11-2011, 04:12 PM
A good highlight is at 52 secs... lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MPOGvqvcvI

Do all these players highlight videos always have to have irritating music...what the heck was that noise.:poop:

Count Steeler
02-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Major question, can he fair catch?

Seriously, El had a great Super Bowl, and as much as I like Sanders and Brown, through another player in the mix to fight for the bone. Hope he has a good head.

KeiselPower99
02-11-2011, 06:29 PM
WR should be a nice battle in camp this year. El Battle Sweed and Lyons fighting for a spot. I cant wait til August.

SteelerSal
02-11-2011, 06:59 PM
WR should be a nice battle in camp this year. El Battle Sweed and Lyons fighting for a spot. I cant wait til August.

I agree!! Was a pretty good showing by the young guys..Randel El lost playing time and Battle only saw the field on sp. teams.

Love your Legursky sig, KeiselPower99!!

tube517
02-11-2011, 07:49 PM
:chuckle:

Major question, can he fair catch?

Seriously, El had a great Super Bowl, and as much as I like Sanders and Brown, through another player in the mix to fight for the bone. Hope he has a good head.

Psycho Ward 86
02-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Impressive physical dimensions, but it's easy to overlook production for size. I'm no stat geek but 42 receptions for 517 yards as CAREER TOTALS in college isn't exactly what you look for in a guy who's looking to contribute at the next level. Then again, guys like Willie Parker barely did anything in college only to shred it up on the big stage

SteelerSal
02-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Impressive physical dimensions, but it's easy to overlook production for size. I'm no stat geek but 42 receptions for 517 yards as CAREER TOTALS in college isn't exactly what you look for in a guy who's looking to contribute at the next level. Then again, guys like Willie Parker barely did anything in college only to shred it up on the big stage

Gotta kinda look at the offense that he played in and the qb's he had throwing to him...WV has not been known lately to have true qb's just great athletes behind center.

Psycho Ward 86
02-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Gotta kinda look at the offense that he played in and the qb's he had throwing to him...WV has not been known lately to have true qb's just great athletes behind center.

Ah I see, you're talking to a guy who barely knows a thing about college ball lol

Galax Steeler
02-12-2011, 05:59 AM
I don't think Sweed, El and Battle will be back next year this should open a spot for him.

Texasteel
02-12-2011, 06:49 AM
I really think they want a WR this size, that could be why they have been so patient with Sweed. I could see them bringing in one more tall WR and let them all slug it out.

Chidi29
02-12-2011, 08:33 AM
I hope Battle returns. He's been very valuable on special teams and if I had to guess, probably helped some of the rookies learn the ropes of Al Everest's system.

NJarhead
02-12-2011, 08:42 AM
I don't think Sweed, El and Battle will be back next year this should open a spot for him.

I "think" El was signed to a two year deal.

Chidi29
02-12-2011, 08:45 AM
I "think" El was signed to a two year deal.

Actually if memory serves Battle and El got three year deals.

tube517
02-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Yep. He is a key player on ST. That's the hard part and it would suck if we regress like we did in 2009 when the ST were horrible. People only look at WR stats but don't know how valuable some players are on special teams.

I hope Battle returns. He's been very valuable on special teams and if I had to guess, probably helped some of the rookies learn the ropes of Al Everest's system.

The Duke
02-14-2011, 04:01 AM
Actually if memory serves Battle and El got three year deals.

How big is his contract though? I loved his contribution in the super bowl, but other than that an a veteran presence I don't see him bringing much, especially with a high salary

There is no way Battle is not back. He won't get playing time at receiver barring an injury, but we don't need him there anyway

Hope this kid has a good camp. Should be an interesting battle for a roster spot between him Grisham and Sweed

Chidi29
02-14-2011, 02:26 PM
How big is his contract though? I loved his contribution in the super bowl, but other than that an a veteran presence I don't see him bringing much, especially with a high salary

There is no way Battle is not back. He won't get playing time at receiver barring an injury, but we don't need him there anyway

Hope this kid has a good camp. Should be an interesting battle for a roster spot between him Grisham and Sweed

El has $4.5 million left in base salary and based on my understanding of signing bonuses and guaranteed money, $600,000 left. He signed a 3 year, 7 million deal with a 900K signing bonus.

I don't care if El stays. The rookies proved their worth.

But Battle had a lot of value. Just didn't show up on the stat sheet. Wedgebuster and an up back on punts. Extremely valuable.

Iron Steeler
02-27-2011, 02:28 PM
I really think they want a WR this size, that could be why they have been so patient with Sweed. I could see them bringing in one more tall WR and let them all slug it out.

Ine the red corner standing at 6'8 weighing in at 240 Wes Lyons .
In the blue corner standing at 6'4 weighing in at 220 Limas Sweed.

Ding Ding Ding

smokin3000gt
02-27-2011, 04:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r07tmiDOMO0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

He must be a dirty player if he throws blocks like that! :jawdrop2: :rolleyes:

O'Malley
02-28-2011, 01:57 PM
I like him already!!!!

Psycho Ward 86
02-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Here's some other "insight" on Wes Lyons. I'm not gonna call it information since it's from bleach report: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/371233-wes-lyons-the-breakout-star-that-never-shined

Wes Lyons: The Breakout Star That Never Shined