PDA

View Full Version : NFL Labor Talks Canceled as Lockout Looms Larger Than Ever

smokin3000gt
02-10-2011, 02:31 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/02/10/nfl-labor-talks-canceled-as-lockout-looms-larger-than-ever/

The likelihood that the NFL will lock out its players on March 4 now stands at an all-time high after Thursday's scheduled negotiating session between the league and the players' union was canceled. Multiple sources familiar with the talks said the owners' side walked out of Wednesday's meeting due to a disagreement over the talks' most fundamental issue -- the manner in which the players and owners will split the NFL (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/)'s approximately $9 billion revenue pie.

The union has been demanding that the owners open their books to demonstrate the financial hardship they've been citing in an effort to get the players to accept a smaller share of revenue. But according to two of the sources, the players said Wednesday that they would drop that demand in exchange for a 50 percent cut of "all revenue," meaning the total $9 billion pot.

Read more at: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/02/10/nfl-labor-talks-canceled-as-lockout-looms-larger-than-ever/

It's not looking good folks. I put more blame on the player's union then I do the owners. They act as if they aren't paid well to do what they do. What a lifestyle they live, I wish I made millions to play a game that I loved to play anyways. Everyone wants the business owners 'cut' of the pie, but no body wants the business owner's risk. If you want to make what a team owner makes, then sell all the toys that you pissed away your fortune on and put out the money that these owners have had to and buy a team!

7SteelGal43
02-10-2011, 02:40 PM
As far as sharing the profit, yeah, I'd say NFL players are paid quite handsomely for doing something they love. What they (the players) should be focusing on is "how do we get Goodell fired before he makes us put on tutu's and play flag football?" I don't want to see the a strike because millionaires are asking millionaires to pay them even more millions and the millionaires are like "sorry, times are tough". Let's be real, even the lowest paid "role player" in the NFL is living quite well. What I'm sick of is the feminization of football and the stupid a** 18 game season and the stupid Pro Bowl between Championship Sunday and the Super Bowl and..........ah geeze, I'm just tired of Goodell !

NJarhead
02-10-2011, 02:40 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/02/10/nfl-labor-talks-canceled-as-lockout-looms-larger-than-ever/

It's not looking good folks. I put more blame on the player's union then I do the owners. They act as if they aren't paid well to do what they do. What a lifestyle they live, I wish I made millions to play a game that I loved to play anyways. Everyone wants the business owners 'cut' of the pie, but no body wants the business owner's risk. If you want to make what a team owner makes, then sell all the toys that you pissed away your fortune on and put out the money that these owners have had to and buy a team!

Agreed. They are employees. They don't share the expenses of their employer and no one gets into a business to break even.

HometownGal
02-10-2011, 02:44 PM
I put more blame on the player's union then I do the owners. They act as if they aren't paid well to do what they do. What a lifestyle they live, I wish I made millions to play a game that I loved to play anyways. Everyone wants the business owners 'cut' of the pie, but no body wants the business owner's risk. If you want to make what a team owner makes, then sell all the toys that you pissed away your fortune on and put out the money that these owners have had to and buy a team!

Bingo. :applaudit: The players are being unreasonably selfish here and as stated above - they are employees for God's sake. Yeah - I could see us common folk going into our bosses and demanding 50% of their profits in addition to the salaries they pay us. :jerkit: We'd be tossed out the door and into the unemployment line on our asses.

fansince'76
02-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Somewhat off topic, but to everyone who thought he was nuts/stupid for doing so, THIS is why Luck opted to stay in school, folks. They've been dicking around on this for 3 years. Seriously doubt they're going to come to an agreement in a little over 3 weeks. About the only good that can possibly come out of a protracted lockout/strike is that the owners finally give the current jackass of a commissioner the heave-ho.

SteelerSal
02-10-2011, 03:00 PM

Best post I've read about this..right on the money.

ALLD
02-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Goodell should be fired if a deal is not done.

HometownGal
02-10-2011, 03:25 PM
The union has been demanding that the owners open their books to demonstrate the financial hardship they've been citing in an effort to get the players to accept a smaller share of revenue. But according to two of the sources, the players said Wednesday that they would drop that demand in exchange for a 50 percent cut of "all revenue," meaning the total $9 billion pot.

Maybe the owners should demand that these players open up THEIR financial records to show their "hardships" since the greedy bastards want a piece of their pie. I'm firmly on the owners side here.

Multi-millionaires vs. multi-millionaires. Maybe they can all agree to do a reality TV show instead of playing football next season. :jerkit:

zulater
02-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Settle down folks, just because they're not going to reach a new labor agreement before the old one expires in early March doesn't mean there's going to be any missed games.

solardave
02-10-2011, 04:16 PM

And he should be fired if a deal gets done!!!!!!

GoSlash27
02-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Goodell should be fired regardless. The first point of contention should be the 18 game season, not the revenue sharing.

Count Steeler
02-10-2011, 04:33 PM
$1 Goodell, well overpaid.

fansince'76
02-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Settle down folks, just because they're not going to reach a new labor agreement before the old one expires in early March doesn't mean there's going to be any missed games.

I wouldn't bet against it at this point. They've had 3 years to iron out their differences and from everything I've seen and heard, they're still miles apart.

zulater
02-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't bet against it at this point. They've had 3 years to iron out their differences and from everything I've seen and heard, they're still miles apart.

The league signed off on a bad deal last time. No Union ever wants to give back. So yeah of course they're miles apart. But the players aren't prepared for a loss of games ergo game checks. In fact the players who are currently free agents, or were anticipating re-upping their current deals this offseason, probably are dependent on the money they were expecting by way of signing bonuses. So I predict the Union will be pressured from within the ranks to go to the table and get a deal done by June at the latest.

steelreserve
02-10-2011, 05:28 PM
When it really comes down to being days away from a lockout/strike ... I always wonder why both sides don't realize that above all else, the one thing that's in both their best interests is actually having the season, even if it means signing a one-year labor deal with the exact same terms. Do that and keep Goodell's salary at $1 in the meantime, and I guarantee you there'll be no more dicking around. A deal will be done within a year, no doubt.

Craic
02-10-2011, 05:50 PM
When it really comes down to being days away from a lockout/strike ... I always wonder why both sides don't realize that above all else, the one thing that's in both their best interests is actually having the season, even if it means signing a one-year labor deal with the exact same terms. Do that and keep Goodell's salary at $1 in the meantime, and I guarantee you there'll be no more dicking around. A deal will be done within a year, no doubt.

Exactly-though I would say, keep Good-deal's AND DeMaurice Smith's salary at $1.

Craic
02-10-2011, 05:53 PM
You all DO realize,

That if this goes to a lockout, game are lost, and the union comes back to the table and agrees with a majority of the owner's demands, that Good-deal will be entrenched for decades as commissioner. He is the spokesman for the owners. If he gets them a good deal, even after a lockout, he will have a WHOLE lot more power.

BigNastyDefense
02-10-2011, 06:07 PM
First, the owners don't even get 50% of the profits of the team. I wish where I worked that I had that type of deal.

Second, the greedy ass players need to step back and realize a few things:

1. They play a sport for a living. Most of us wish that was our job. Most of the offseason they spend working out on their own. They go on vacations on an annual basis that most of us can only do once or twice a lifetime.

2. The lowest a player in the NFL is payed on an annual basis is $400,000. I have never broken the $20,000 barrier in a year. Why don't some of these guys come do my job for my pay, drive my piece of shit car, and deal with the shit I have to deal with on a day-to-day basis and then maybe they will see how they have quite the life compared to many of the people who watch them play football.

3. The reason so many of the players end up in financial hard times when they are done playing is because they piss all the money they make away. Millions of dollars worth of jewelry, 20+ cars, multiple homes, fully stocked bars in those homes, a ton of flat-screen HDTV's all over their homes, handing out money to people they know just because someone asked.

So many of these players don't save a damn penny. Just look at the financial mess that Michael Vick is in. All the money paid by the Falcons, from endorsement deals....gone.

The other problem is DeMaurice Smith himself. He's a pit bull who will not back down. He's not willing to give up a single thing. He doesn't believe in give-and-take. Him becoming the head of the NFLPA was the day labor peace died in the National Football League.

smokin3000gt
02-10-2011, 06:36 PM
As much as it would suck for all of us if there is a lock out and no football next year, I hope the owners stick to their guns. These players are getting a little too over paid/big for their britches and losing touch with reality. If one of our drivers came in to my office and demanded I show him my books/earnings or pay out 50% of what we make I would point and laugh at him until he felt so stupid he left and didn't come back out of embarrassment.

tube517
02-10-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm having flashbacks to 1982 and NBC broadcasting the CFL or those horrific "all star games". Or 1987 w/the "scabs" players.:horror:

vader29
02-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Or 1987 w/the "scabs" players.:horror:

Who will be our Steve Bono?

Steeldude
02-11-2011, 12:33 AM
i am fine with getting rid of every single player and starting over.

X-Terminator
02-11-2011, 12:45 AM

Exactly. Problem is I don't think DeMaurice Smith cares about any of that. All he cares about is soaking the owners for every dime he can get, and if the players don't get paid, then so be it. Remember - he told the players last year to start putting money aside for a possible protracted lockout, which means he is not planning on giving an inch in the negotiations. But both sides stand to lose a shit-ton of money if there is no season, and that would be more than enough to get my fat ass motivated to get a deal done ASAP.

Craic
02-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Exactly. Problem is I don't think DeMaurice Smith cares about any of that. All he cares about is soaking the owners for every dime he can get, and if the players don't get paid, then so be it. Both sides stand to lose a shit-ton of money if there is no season, and that would be more than enough to get my fat ass motivated to get a deal done ASAP.

But you have to assume, that in hiring him, that is exactly what the NFLPA wanted as well.

X-Terminator
02-11-2011, 12:54 AM
But you have to assume, that in hiring him, that is exactly what the NFLPA wanted as well.

Yes, that is what they wanted. I understand that they don't want to get hosed in any deal and want someone strong who will stand up to the owners, but that doesn't mean you stay inflexible and unwilling to give anything up in order to keep the game going. That is exactly what Smith is doing. They have to realize that if the owners don't make money, they don't get paid the salaries that they demand. Not every owner is like Danny Boy Snyder or Jerry Jones, and no owner wants to go into any business losing money hand over fist.

Craic
02-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Yes, that is what they wanted. I understand that they don't want to get hosed in any deal and want someone strong who will stand up to the owners, but that doesn't mean you stay inflexible and unwilling to give anything up in order to keep the game going. That is exactly what Smith is doing. They have to realize that if the owners don't make money, they don't get paid the salaries that they demand. Not every owner is like Danny Boy Snyder or Jerry Jones, and no owner wants to go into any business losing money hand over fist.

X-term, you and I are on the exact same page... I think what we are seeing here, is the "union mentality." Stick it to the owners, because they ALWAYS have too much money.

Maybe a strike is the best thing. Let some of 'em go out and work at the local car dealer for 40,000 a year (commission). Let them get jobs selling insurance, or try to use that college education to get help pay their multimillion dollar mortgages. Maybe that'll bring them back to reality.

I also hope, that the owners AND the union point a finger at Jerry Jones, Schneider, and basically tell them to knock it off. Sad thing is, it won't happen, because that is exactly what Good-deal wants.

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2011, 11:31 AM
if there is no NFL Season next year, I'll personally go find Roger Goodell and punch him in the face til his teeth are implanted in my knuckles.