PDA

View Full Version : Arians- Can someone please explain this to me?

Craic
02-09-2011, 10:19 PM
I often hear two critiques about Arians. As I have said before, I am not a big fan of his, but don't think he has done all that bad of a job either.

However, the Arians bashing from Steelersnation (in general, not the website, nor anyone in particular here) usually devolves into 1 of 2 arguments, of which people often agree with BOTH.

Yet, holding on to both arguments is illogical, as one is mutually exclusive of the other.

1. Arians is predictable.

2. Arians playcalling is puzzling.

Now, I have to ask... if his playcalling is predictable, than why is anyone puzzled about what play he calls?

Yet, the very way the term is used, is that Arians doesn't call the plays that should be called in given situations-hence, plays that aren't predictable.

So, is the problem that he is predictable, or that his calls are puzzling?

:huh:

Devilsdancefloor
02-09-2011, 10:30 PM
i think the "puzzling" part of it is no situational football sense at times it was like he opened a bag and reached in and grabbed a play, but saying that it was predictable in that it would be run ,run ,pass, but i have to say he has really been a hell of a lot better this year. im not a huge fan of his either, but i am not calling for his head either the powers that be want him, so i see him staying until he wants to leave. i believe he has grown as a OC and his calling is better and so are his adjustments. I personally think he tends to hit the panic button a little to early at times.

steelreserve
02-09-2011, 10:40 PM
This year, I thought he did a lot better on the predictability front. He more or less called the right play for the situation and mixed it up enough to not let the opponent get too comfortable. Last year, I was hoping someone punched him in the nuts.

Merchant
02-09-2011, 10:53 PM
The problem is that he is both. For example, he is predictable in that everyone knows he's gonna call a bubble-screen 5-8 times a game. He is puzzling because WHY would you call the same play so many times if it's only going for 3 yards each time.

tube517
02-09-2011, 11:11 PM
He is predictable in his unpredictability which, in itself, is quite puzzling.

:huh:

:chuckle:

7willBheaven
02-09-2011, 11:24 PM
i think the "puzzling" part of it is no situational football sense at times it was like he opened a bag and reached in and grabbed a play, but saying that it was predictable in that it would be run ,run ,pass, but i have to say he has really been a hell of a lot better this year. im not a huge fan of his either, but i am not calling for his head either the powers that be want him, so i see him staying until he wants to leave. i believe he has grown as a OC and his calling is better and so are his adjustments. I personally think he tends to hit the panic button a little to early at times.

This sums it up pretty good for the most part i think.

NCSteeler
02-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Predictable= 2 final to win it all drives end with pass pass pass
Puzzling= RB owning the game(-one fumble) and 2 final drives end pass pass pass

On the other hand I think Ben and him had it set in their minds that this was gonna be Ben's SB his time to shine and show the haters and they intentionally called the game that way. No biggie I don't hate him or like, but many times I find myself knowing the play before hand, and I'm far from an expert.

Steeldude
02-10-2011, 12:21 AM
i think the "puzzling" part of it is no situational football sense at times it was like he opened a bag and reached in and grabbed a play,

i totally agree

Chidi29
02-10-2011, 05:53 AM
The problem is that he is both. For example, he is predictable in that everyone knows he's gonna call a bubble-screen 5-8 times a game. He is puzzling because WHY would you call the same play so many times if it's only going for 3 yards each time.

Every team runs the same play a couple times a game. Be it a quick slant or a screen pass, whatever the case is, every team has a play they go back to.

The screen is an elongated run play that gets you 3-4 yards, as much as Mendenhall averaged per yard without the risk of losing yards trying to run behind this line.

Chidi29
02-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Predictable= 2 final to win it all drives end with pass pass pass
Puzzling= RB owning the game(-one fumble) and 2 final drives end pass pass pass

On the other hand I think Ben and him had it set in their minds that this was gonna be Ben's SB his time to shine and show the haters and they intentionally called the game that way. No biggie I don't hate him or like, but many times I find myself knowing the play before hand, and I'm far from an expert.

Did you want us to run the ball in the two minute drill? What does a four yard gain accomplish when you have to go 87 yards in two minutes and one timeout?

JonM229
02-10-2011, 03:34 PM
but many times I find myself knowing the play before hand, and I'm far from an expert.

That reminds me of when Matt Cavanaugh was the OC on the Ravens.

Run, Run, Pass, Punt

SteelGhost
02-10-2011, 03:55 PM

Nice post DDF :applaudit:

tube517
02-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Your confusing that with Ron Erhardt during the 90's

That reminds me of when Matt Cavanaugh was the OC on the Ravens.

Run, Run, Pass, Punt

Craic
02-10-2011, 06:02 PM

But wasn't that EXACTLY what so many were calling for? A move back to the "steelers way of football" "Steeler football" "3 yards and a cloud of dust" football? Why is it so bad in hindsight, when it was exactly what was being screamed for by the fans at the end of last season?

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm one of the biggest Bruce haters around, as the official president and only member of the NBBFers, (not big brice fans) and even I admit he did a bang up job this year. But what was clear, was the fact we as a team got back to basics in the running game. All year, there was a lot more attention to the running game and it got us to the SB.

now, the only problem I have, in the entire game, SBXLV, well two problems, are

first, the 1st and 10 backed up from our own end and we pump fake go deep, but that is on Ben too for not checking down to the back...dude...when you pump...and the Safety GOES to the direction you want to throw the ball...you check down...

second..the missed field goal drive.
1st and 10 at PIT 40 R.Mendenhall right guard to PIT 41 for 1 yard (R.Pickett).
2nd and 9 at PIT 41 B.Roethlisberger pass short right to M.Wallace to PIT 49 for 8 yards (A.Hawk; D.Bishop).
Timeout #1 by PIT at 07:34. (BAD CLOCK MANAGEMENT!)
3rd and 1 at PIT 49 M.Moore right end to GB 44 for 7 yards (P.Lee).
1st and 10 at GB 44 B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep left to M.Wallace. (FCK! BEN!)
2nd and 10 at GB 44 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass short middle to H.Ward to GB 29 for 15 yards (T.Williams).
1st and 10 at GB 29 B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete to H.Ward (C.Matthews). Pass was knocked down in the backfield. (Run Here)
2nd and 10 at GB 29 B.Roethlisberger pass short right to H.Miller to GB 32 for -3 yards (D.Bishop) [C.Wilson]. (OR Run Here)
3rd and 13 at GB 32 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger sacked at GB 34 for -2 yards (F.Zombo). (have to pass here unless you run a draw)
4th and 15 at GB 34 (Field Goal formation) S.Suisham 52 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Left, Center-G.Warren, Holder-J.Kapinos. (could have punted and hoped to hold the Packers deep. Defense was playing better at his point)

that's really it. The Mendy Fumble, on 2nd and 2, well, I wanted a run there to get the first, so that play call was fine, execution was horrible.

NJarhead
02-11-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't think he is predictable, but I have scratched my head at a call or two (not uncommon for any team).

Aside from wishing we ran more (which we are getting better at), I have no issue with Arians. Ben's comfortable with him and he did make chicken salad out of chicken shit with Cleveland. We've gotten to three SB's with the man on our staff and at least some of the blame for any of our failures belongs to the players, execution and even injury. We could be doing a lot worse, no question about it.

Count Steeler
02-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Turnovers killed us. Period. 3 against. None for. We lose 9 out of 10 times.

Craic
02-11-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm one of the biggest Bruce haters around, as the official president and only member of the NBBFers, (not big brice fans) and even I admit he did a bang up job this year. But what was clear, was the fact we as a team got back to basics in the running game. All year, there was a lot more attention to the running game and it got us to the SB.

now, the only problem I have, in the entire game, SBXLV, well two problems, are

first, the 1st and 10 backed up from our own end and we pump fake go deep, but that is on Ben too for not checking down to the back...dude...when you pump...and the Safety GOES to the direction you want to throw the ball...you check down...

second..the missed field goal drive.
1st and 10 at PIT 40 R.Mendenhall right guard to PIT 41 for 1 yard (R.Pickett).
2nd and 9 at PIT 41 B.Roethlisberger pass short right to M.Wallace to PIT 49 for 8 yards (A.Hawk; D.Bishop).
Timeout #1 by PIT at 07:34. (BAD CLOCK MANAGEMENT!)
3rd and 1 at PIT 49 M.Moore right end to GB 44 for 7 yards (P.Lee).
1st and 10 at GB 44 B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep left to M.Wallace. (FCK! BEN!)
2nd and 10 at GB 44 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass short middle to H.Ward to GB 29 for 15 yards (T.Williams).
1st and 10 at GB 29 B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete to H.Ward (C.Matthews). Pass was knocked down in the backfield. (Run Here)
2nd and 10 at GB 29 B.Roethlisberger pass short right to H.Miller to GB 32 for -3 yards (D.Bishop) [C.Wilson]. (OR Run Here)
3rd and 13 at GB 32 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger sacked at GB 34 for -2 yards (F.Zombo). (have to pass here unless you run a draw)
4th and 15 at GB 34 (Field Goal formation) S.Suisham 52 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Left, Center-G.Warren, Holder-J.Kapinos. (could have punted and hoped to hold the Packers deep. Defense was playing better at his point)

that's really it. The Mendy Fumble, on 2nd and 2, well, I wanted a run there to get the first, so that play call was fine, execution was horrible.

Dino,

All that time on the other board- when I was railing against "Bruce haters," Really, all I was asking for is exactly what you put in this post-an honest assessment of what he has or has not done. I agree with you here completely. If you want to go playaction on first down, you have to run the ball on first down as well in order to sell play actions. Since we were running quite well, I am not sure why we went pure pass there.

There are a number of places where I question what is being done. As I have said before, I am definitely not sold on the guy-but also not hating the guy.

Thanks for a good and fair assessment-I think you'll see a lot more people that many thought were "Bruce-lovers" actually agreeing these types of posts.

SMR
02-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Turnovers killed us. Period. 3 against. None for. We lose 9 out of 10 times.

Exactly. Ya can't win a game that way.

NJarhead
02-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Dino,

All that time on the other board- when I was railing against "Bruce haters," Really, all I was asking for is exactly what you put in this post-an honest assessment of what he has or has not done. I agree with you here completely. If you want to go playaction on first down, you have to run the ball on first down as well in order to sell play actions. Since we were running quite well, I am not sure why we went pure pass there.

There are a number of places where I question what is being done. As I have said before, I am definitely not sold on the guy-but also not hating the guy.

Thanks for a good and fair assessment-I think you'll see a lot more people that many thought were "Bruce-lovers" actually agreeing these types of posts.

Some of that is on Ben from what I understand.

Craic
02-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Some of that is on Ben from what I understand.

Yep, I remember a quote from Arians saying that he'd go home and hear people on the Radio or in the press asking why a run play wasn't called, and he would answer to himself, "It was called!"
But, when you also have a QB that more times than not, will make the play, you trust his instincts.

Does anyone really understand how good of a job Arians is doing as a Coordinator-on issues NOT dealing with calling plays? He has taken ALL the criticism for his QB. He hasn't blame his QB ONCE for a loss, even when Ben did change plays. We have no idea what plays are changed when, or how.

As said, Arians isn't my favorite, but I MUST give him credit for being a standup guy and protecting his QB.

I also wonder how much those quotes attributed to him, are fluff. Just things to get into the heads of other teams, and not really true.

NJarhead
02-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Yep, I remember a quote from Arians saying that he'd go home and hear people on the Radio or in the press asking why a run play wasn't called, and he would answer to himself, "It was called!"
But, when you also have a QB that more times than not, will make the play, you trust his instincts.

Does anyone really understand how good of a job Arians is doing as a Coordinator-on issues NOT dealing with calling plays? He has taken ALL the criticism for his QB. He hasn't blame his QB ONCE for a loss, even when Ben did change plays. We have no idea what plays are changed when, or how.

As said, Arians isn't my favorite, but I MUST give him credit for being a standup guy and protecting his QB.

I also wonder how much those quotes attributed to him, are fluff. Just things to get into the heads of other teams, and not really true.

Couldn't agree more.