PDA

View Full Version : Former Steelers Kicker Jeff Reed Talks About Super Bowl XLV

stillers4me
02-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Jeff Reed joined Seibel, Starkey and Miller on Sportsradio 93-7 The FAN to talk about the Steelers’ season and what he has been up to since finishing the year kicking for the San Francisco 49er’s.

Jeff said it was tough watching the Super Bowl on Sunday since he spent half the season working for the team to get there, but was happy for his former teammates.

Jeff also addressed Shaun Suisham’s missed 52-yard field goal attempt in the Super Bowl saying you never root for somebody to miss and that kickers in the NFL are like a fraternity, so he wasn’t rooting against Suisham at all in that situation.

With his 49er’s contract expiring, Jeff said he has been training for the last three weeks getting ready for his next opportunity, being a free agent and what it’s like having to wait to see what happens with the CBA before things begin playing out for him.

If the Steelers called, Jeff said he would come back even though the way things went down here in his eyes was a little unfair. When Jeff got the call from Coach Mike Tomlin that he was being released, he said it brought tears to his eyes and that it was one of the hardest thing he ever had to deal with.

Finally, when it came to his head coach in San Francisco Mike Singeltary, Jeff said it only took him two weeks to realize the man wasn’t cut out to be a head coach.........

Listen here @ http://burgh.us/2so

zulater
02-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Finally, when it came to his head coach in San Francisco Mike Singeltary, Jeff said it only took him two weeks to realize the man wasn’t cut out to be a head coach.........

That probably wasn't a smart thing for Jeff to say. Because just like kickers are a tight fraternity so are coaches, and if you throw one under the bus like that, ( be it true or not) they'll figure it's a good bet you'll do the same to them if the opportunity presents itself.

NJarhead
02-09-2011, 07:18 PM
That probably wasn't a smart thing for Jeff to say. Because just like kickers are a tight fraternity so are coaches, and if you throw one under the bus like that, ( be it true or not) they'll figure it's a good bet you'll do the same to them if the opportunity presents itself.

Thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to say, but couldn't figure out how to say it.

tube517
02-09-2011, 07:54 PM
I wonder if the SF 49ers towel dispensers in the locker room were bolted down.

Stlrs4Life
02-09-2011, 08:10 PM
I don't want him back.

zulater
02-09-2011, 08:31 PM
I don't want him back.

I don't think you have to worry about it. His release wasn't only about his kicking.

Merchant
02-09-2011, 08:40 PM
LOLL @ the shot at Singletary. Gotta be the worst head coach since Jim Zorn and Bobby Petrino.

tube517
02-09-2011, 09:47 PM
LOLL @ the shot at Singletary. Gotta be the worst head coach since Jim Zorn and Bobby Petrino.

Zorn and Singletary were clueless as head coaches...Petrino was clueless and GUTLESS

Craic
02-09-2011, 10:04 PM

STOP

BEING

SO

DANG

REASONABLE

:chuckle:

zulater
02-09-2011, 10:22 PM
STOP

BEING

SO

DANG

REASONABLE

I've always been reasonable Preach, it's just you haven't always seen it that way when we disagree.

Craic
02-09-2011, 10:24 PM
I've always been reasonable Preach, it's just you haven't always seen it that way when we disagree.

No, haven't you learned yet...

Reasonable means you agree with me!

Of course, my wife doesn't see it that way either. :wink02:

HometownGal
02-10-2011, 06:52 AM
Well - Skippy is well known for speaking his mind which is what gets him into trouble. :doh: What he said about Singletary was pretty classless and might end up biting him in that cute ass of his when he tries to land himself a contract on another team.

On another note - don't get me wrong here - I have grown to really like Sushi, but I wonder if Skip would have made that 52 yarder last Sunday? While I realize he missed a bunch of FG's over his last 2 seasons here, he was always pretty clutch in the playoffs. :noidea: I guess we'll never know, will we?

P.S. I didn't like the call to kick the FG and would have preferred to have punted the ball and pin them deep.

salamander
02-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Well - Skippy is well known for speaking his mind which is what gets him into trouble. :doh: What he said about Singletary was pretty classless and might end up biting him in that cute ass of his when he tries to land himself a contract on another team.

On another note - don't get me wrong here - I have grown to really like Sushi, but I wonder if Skip would have made that 52 yarder last Sunday? While I realize he missed a bunch of FG's over his last 2 seasons here, he was always pretty clutch in the playoffs. :noidea: I guess we'll never know, will we?

P.S. I didn't like the call to kick the FG and would have preferred to have punted the ball and pin them deep.

Granted it was a pretty ugly kick, I don't fault Sushi on it. Coach T even said it was a stupid idea to go for the FG.

HometownGal
02-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Granted it was a pretty ugly kick, I don't fault Sushi on it. Coach T even said it was a stupid idea to go for the FG.

It was a bad call by Coach T, but at the time, he was thinking POINTS on the board in the biggest game of the year and we were behind. In a domed stadium, a PK has a better chance of making a long kick like that and it was reported Sushi was kicking 50-60 yarders in the pre-game warmups. :noidea: I think Sushi was just a bit nervous on that one. I just can't help but wonder if Skip would have made that kick but as I said - we'll never know.

Godfather
02-10-2011, 08:42 AM

Yep, it can't help. MeMo threw Chilly under the bus a couple of days ago. Also not a smart thing to do when you're a role player.

I feel bad for Skippy but we had too many injuries and we couldn't afford to waste a roster spot on a second kicker while he got his head on straight, like the Saints did with Hartley.

Godfather
02-10-2011, 08:43 AM
It was a bad call by Coach T, but at the time, he was thinking POINTS on the board in the biggest game of the year and we were behind. In a domed stadium, a PK has a better chance of making a long kick like that and it was reported Sushi was kicking 50-60 yarders in the pre-game warmups. :noidea: I think Sushi was just a bit nervous on that one. I just can't help but wonder if Skip would have made that kick but as I said - we'll never know.

That was no gimme but it was makeable. What really bit us was the back to back negative plays that pushed us out of range. We kick from where we were on second down and he makes it, and we have a chance to force OT at the end.

SteelerEmpire
02-10-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm indifferent about Jeff Reed's returning to the Steelers.... 'unless' he figures out a way to start kicking 60 yd fg's.

HometownGal
02-10-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm indifferent about Jeff Reed's returning to the Steelers.... 'unless' he figures out a way to start kicking 60 yd fg's.

Skippy isn't coming back - I can almost guarantee that. He didn't leave here on the best of terms with the FO and Tomlin. I was just putting a hindsight question out there.

steel striker
02-10-2011, 02:25 PM
For me the question do we bring Shawn back or draft a kicker?

HometownGal
02-10-2011, 02:45 PM
For me the question do we bring Shawn back or draft a kicker?

I say we do both. Give Sushi a little competition in TC and may the best foot win.

ALLD
02-10-2011, 03:20 PM

Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban and Josh McDaniles too!

SteelGhost
02-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Yep, it can't help. MeMo threw Chilly under the bus a couple of days ago. Also not a smart thing to do when you're a role player.

I feel bad for Skippy but we had too many injuries and we couldn't afford to waste a roster spot on a second kicker while he got his head on straight, like the Saints did with Hartley.

I missed that one .... can you share a link please ?

TIA

Count Steeler
02-10-2011, 04:28 PM
No draft pick on a kicker. Get one through the non drafted players.