PDA

View Full Version : What Should the Steelers Do With Aaron Smith?

stillers4me
02-09-2011, 05:45 AM
Aaron Smith has played 156 games over 12 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers since being selected in the fourth-round of the 1999 draft. He’s been a workhorse in their 3-4 defense and a vital cog in a system that requires him to sacrifice personal glory for the good of the team (though, that’s probably a cliche at this point regarding what he does, but it doesn’t make it any less true). As we sit today, he’s been one of the best all-around defensive ends in the NFL, a two-time Super Bowl Champion, and by nearly all accounts, one of the good guys.

Unfortunately, there’s also this harsh reality: he’s played in just 38 of a possible 71 games (playoffs included) over the past four seasons, and 11 of 35 over the past two. That leads to the inevitable questions of how much the Steelers can rely on him next season, and is it perhaps time to part ways with a player that’s been one of the best at his position over the past decade?...............

Read more @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/02/steelers-aaron-smith/

HometownGal
02-09-2011, 07:21 AM
This discussion is so painful for me to even participate in, as I've always loved Aaron and everything he has brought to the team and particularly the D. That being said, however, I am the ultimate realist and reality says that maybe it's time to part ways with our beloved Aaron. He is still recovering from a very serious injury which could easily be re-aggravated next season but I think the big question here is - do the Steelers want to continue to pay him the big bucks on a "maybe"? As the author so correctly states, Ziggy has done a great job on the line and has more than proven he is ready to keep the scepter that has been passed to him. Why tempt fate?

XxKnightxX
02-09-2011, 07:24 AM
It hurts for me to say this, But Ziggy has clearly shown that he is the new starter. Aaron is a hell of a player but he is very brittle and injury prone at this point. Unless he can accept a back-up role in the rotation or He goes to Arizona

Merchant
02-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Isn't he due something like 6 million next season? IF we were to part ways, one of the positives would be it would give us room with Ike and Woodley.

NCSteeler
02-09-2011, 10:30 AM
I think you ask him straight up to take a pay cut. I think he would do it. From all the comments I have seen from him, he is realistic and understands his place.

steelpride12
02-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Smith is loved by all Steeler fans including myself and will never be forgotten for the leadership and strength he brought and meant to the D-Line, but at this point it has become more of a burden to keep on this team than not. He is at the age where retirement should be in his near future and I believe he can still play at any rate!
Hood stood up again all doubters and played very well in his absence and not only held the position, but was making plays and getting sacks and he will only improve.

crcsnail
02-09-2011, 10:53 AM
i hope we could keep him . im sure he would take a pay cut to stay a steeler.

GodfatherofSoul
02-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Only if he's dirt cheap. We can't afford wasting the money or the slot even for his kind of talent.

zulater
02-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Only if he's dirt cheap. We can't afford wasting the money or the slot even for his kind of talent.

Maybe they should have him euthanized?

Holy shit, whatever they pay Smith if he comes back wont be "wasting money" or a slot.

Yeah I think we all know the dilemma, Hood needs to start. But anyone who can remember early in the season how much better the defensive line was when LeBeau had a full complement of healthy defensive linemen and rotated guys in and out to keep legs fresh would realize that Aaron could be a major assett to this team subbing for Ziggy, Keisel, and possibly even Hampton at NT. Now whether Aaron is willing to become the defensive equivlent of Jerome Bettis circa 2004-05, that I don't know? But if it's sold to him right I think he'd be ready, willing, and able.

tube517
02-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Also, Aaron has to think about what's best for his family. He's dealing with his son's condition so he has a lot on his plate to deal with. I am sure he will do what is best for him and his family.

7willBheaven
02-09-2011, 02:05 PM
I was waiting for when this would come up. IF he doesnt just outright retire...and IF he is fully healed/etc from his injury...I would LOVE to have him back as a backup/rotational player...but if he took this role and he's supposed to make 6 mil like someone said...then he would need to redo his deal. I would hate to cut him/etc...as he should retire a Steeler.

As most of you I think Ziggy is now the starter after playing most of the season + playoffs he did very well...i think better than most either thought he would or would give him credit for. I think it would be detrimental to him and the team to plug Smith back in as the starter at this point.

I guess we shall see in the coming months....

steeldevil
02-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Keep him as long as he is ok with taking less money and being a backup. If he is not, then it is time to move on...

Man the business side of football is harsh at times...

7willBheaven
02-09-2011, 02:53 PM
What about Flozell?

"Pittsburgh Steelers OT Flozell Adams said he is not sure if he will play next season or decide to retire, reports Mike Bires, of the Beaver County Times."

GodfatherofSoul
02-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Maybe they should have him euthanized?

Holy shit, whatever they pay Smith if he comes back wont be "wasting money" or a slot.

Yeah I think we all know the dilemma, Hood needs to start. But anyone who can remember early in the season how much better the defensive line was when LeBeau had a full complement of healthy defensive linemen and rotated guys in and out to keep legs fresh would realize that Aaron could be a major assett to this team subbing for Ziggy, Keisel, and possibly even Hampton at NT. Now whether Aaron is willing to become the defensive equivlent of Jerome Bettis circa 2004-05, that I don't know? But if it's sold to him right I think he'd be ready, willing, and able.

By "wasting money," I mean giving a big contract to a guy who can't stay healthy. We're not talking about tweets for a few weeks here and there. We're talking about season-ending injuries in, what, 3 of the 4 last seasons? At a certain point, a player shows that his body isn't holding up. Same with Sepulveda.

HometownGal
02-09-2011, 03:30 PM
By "wasting money," I mean giving a big contract to a guy who can't stay healthy. We're not talking about tweets for a few weeks here and there. We're talking about season-ending injuries in, what, 3 of the 4 last seasons? At a certain point, a player shows that his body isn't holding up. Same with Sepulveda.

I get what you're saying - totally - and I tend to agree. Sometimes you just gotta open up your nostrils and smell the coffee.

I think everyone here knows how much I love DSep, but reality is reality. He's injury prone, just as Smith is - so why waste a roster spot and valuable cash that can be used to sign one of our FA's that we don't want to part with? It sucks to even think about our DL without its anchor, but as has been stated with regard to our coaches - sometimes a fresh face/new direction is in order.

Count Steeler
02-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Unfortunately, we have to face reality. While we all really wanted to see Smith come back and play this year, we made the wrong decision in not placing him on the IR. This is a roster spot that could have brought more depth to either the O line or the D line. This is 2 seasons in a row that he has seen very limited action.

Dare I also say, Polamalu is becoming physically suspect. Missing all of last year and injured much of this year. While I respect his determination to play while injured, would a healthy Allen or Mundy have played much worse? Let's face it, he was virtually invisible in the playoffs.

SteelerFanInStl
02-09-2011, 03:46 PM
I want him to come back but I think that it's probably time for Ziggy to take over as the starter. I think that he proved himself at the end of this season.

steelreserve
02-09-2011, 04:03 PM
WHEN he's healthy, he's still one of the best in the game. I definitely think we should keep him around; where I'm nervous is like everyone else -- about the money.

Something tells me that we'll honor the last year of the contract at full price, because that's been the way we do business. I mean, we've let aging veterans walk when their contracts were up, we've renegotiated for lower salaries over more years, we've cut people over performance, or cut them when they wanted out, or at least mutually agreed that it was in everyone's best interest ... but I can't remember us asking too many guys to take an out-and-out pay cut while still under contract. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I can't think of any examples to the contrary unless you count Porter - but I think even that was kind of a mutually understood problem where we couldn't pay him what he wanted long-term, and he wanted out early to have a chance at one more big deal.

I think unlike most teams, we've kind of treated it like "a deal's a deal" with the expectation that the contract that's signed is the actual amount that we're planning on paying a guy; we're not going to cheap out at the end like the Redskins. And by the same token, we expect the players to play out their contracts with full effort until the end. So my guess is if we don't sign Smith to a reduced salary over 2+ years (which seems unlikely given his age), we'll probably just live with the $6 million figure and plan around it.

In either case, we'll be damn glad to have him on the team the next time Hood or Kiesel misses some time. I can't think of any season for the better part of a decade in which no defensive linemen have missed significant time.