PDA

View Full Version : Post Super Bowl Media Analysis of Steelers

dislocatedday
02-08-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't put much creedence in sportwriters analysis of football teams, whether it be positive or negative, but some of the stuff I have seen written regarding the Steelers since they lost Sunday is just so off base I have to wonder if these people really understand basic football or have even watched much of the Steelers this year. I know that many of them just want to get attention, so they will sensationalize their articles to get attention.

I have seen a couple of articles saying that Ben should not be considered a "clutch" QB......huh? One failed drive to go 90 yards for a TD at the end of Sunday's game nullifies everything he did previously? I believe he and Joe Montana are the only guys to ever direct a TD winning drive within the last two minutes of a Super Bowl......not to mention all the other 4th quarter winning drives he has had over the years in other games.

The second example is something I read from Peter King on cnnsi.com both yesterday and today. I have noticed that he seems to downgrade Rashard Mendenhall's abilities quite frequently which makes me think he has something personal against Mendenhall, and he did so again on Monday by saying he is a "nice, good" back, but nothing more. Anybody who has watched him consistently this year can tell you that he has skills that place him well above being just a "nice, good" back. From what I have seen, he can do it all.....speed, power, can pickup the blitz, good receiver, etc. A reader wrote in and questioned Peter King's assessment of Mendenhall, and King responded with a follow-up today in which he said he thinks a RB has to be one of the top 10 backs in the league to be considered a "great" RB, and that he can easily name 10 current RBs better than Mendenhall. I may be accused of being a homer, but honestly, there is no way that Mendenhall should not be in the top 10 list of current RBs. I'll put Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, and Maurice Jones-Drew at the top of that list, but after that there are not 7 RBs that are easily better than Mendenhall.

tube517
02-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Didn't you get the memo?? Ben is the worst QB in the history of mankind. Tomlin wasted his time benching Mendenhall in the hopes that he would learn. Mike Wallace is an also ran and we wasted a 3rd round pick on him and we should have kept Bruce Davis and Alonzo Jackson. Maurkice Pouncey was just thrown out there as a bandaid because he sucks. They should take away Dick LeBeau's HOF bust and throw it away and send him packing. Hines Ward is going to a retirement home. Manny Sanders and Antonio Brown will get cut next year. James Harrison and Lamarr Woodley will get traded because they don't get 8000 sacks a year. Troy Polamalu?? Overrated. He is not a game changer and just wanders in the secondary looking for his shampoo bottle. James Farrior??? On social security. Lawrence Timmons??? Should have 10 trillion tackles every month but fails miserably. Heath Miller? One dimensional..should only be on the kickoff unit. :sarcasm: