PDA

View Full Version : Did Steelers Miss Chance to "Run" to a Title?

SteelerEmpire
02-08-2011, 09:25 AM
February 8, 2011, 9:30 AM
Did Steelers Miss Chance to Run to a Title?
By GEORGE BRETHERTON

The Steelers were at their best early in the second half of the Super Bowl. Let’s take a look at their offensive play selections:

First possession of third quarter Run, run, run, run, run. Result: Touchdown.

Second possession of third quarter (first three plays) Run, pass, run. Result: First down in Green Bay territory.

LINK: http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/did-steelers-miss-chance-to-run-to-a-title/

salamander
02-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

BigPoppaG
02-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Shoulda, woulda, coulda.
Ditto on that.

fansince'76
02-08-2011, 10:26 AM
The truly backbreaking turnover for us came via the running game. Not taking care of the ball cost us the game, bottom line.

steeldevil
02-08-2011, 10:41 AM
When Mendy fumbled we quit trying to run. I don't agree with that decision, but I understand it.

Dino 6 Rings
02-08-2011, 02:02 PM
When Mendy fumbled we quit trying to run. I don't agree with that decision, but I understand it.

yeah, but the drive that is really in question is the one that lead to the 52 yard FG attempt fail. Looking at that drive...it was very weird that we didn't run it there and went for 3 pass plays...

but yeah, its all hindsight, I get that...but if you were a NBBFer that is a spot you can look at and ask, why did we call those plays?

again...entire team Fail for me, no splash plays by the Defense, 3rd and 10 with 5 mins left and we let the Packers convert, all kinds of failures in the kick return game with penalties, especially that one Brown had out to the 44 that put us back up against the endzone...

really...the Steelers needed just ONE break this year, and didn't get it. We got a few against Seattle and a few against the Cardinals, but this year...nothing went right for us, nothing "came" our way, and we didn't get anything ourselves.

fansince'76
02-08-2011, 02:08 PM

We gave up 7 points on the ensuing Packers drive to go back down by a score of 28-17 with 12 minutes to go in the game. IMO, I honestly don't think we had time to run anymore at that point.

SteelerEmpire
02-08-2011, 03:30 PM
yeah, but the drive that is really in question is the one that lead to the 52 yard FG attempt fail. Looking at that drive...it was very weird that we didn't run it there and went for 3 pass plays...

but yeah, its all hindsight, I get that...but if you were a NBBFer that is a spot you can look at and ask, why did we call those plays?

again...entire team Fail for me, no splash plays by the Defense, 3rd and 10 with 5 mins left and we let the Packers convert, all kinds of failures in the kick return game with penalties, especially that one Brown had out to the 44 that put us back up against the endzone...

really...the Steelers needed just ONE break this year, and didn't get it. We got a few against Seattle and a few against the Cardinals, but this year...nothing went right for us, nothing "came" our way, and we didn't get anything ourselves.

Your exactly right. Just "1" pick or turnover by us could have changed the outcome, 1 "quick" bomb to Wallace, 1 less pick thrown by Ben, 1 call to punt vs. the attempted FG that failed.... 1, 1 ,1 'big' play could have given us that tie or 1 point victory.
And yea. "Every" area of the team, from the head coach, assistants, d, o and special teams had a hand in all of this. Bottom line, the team didn't prepare well, and it showed.... As if "too" much emphasis was placed on "not" getting nervous for this game, but GB was "less" nervous than we were and we had a roster full of vets... So, the 'nerves' had to have come from knowing deep down inside, the team didn't prepare adequately for this game...

HometownGal
02-08-2011, 03:38 PM
The truly backbreaking turnover for us came via the running game. Not taking care of the ball cost us the game, bottom line.

Bing Bang BOOM. :applaudit:

WTH is it with Steelers fans? If the Steelers run the ball, they ask why more pass plays weren't called. If they pass the ball, they then ask why more run plays weren't called. Bitch and moan, fickle, fickle, fickle. :der:

fansince'76
02-08-2011, 03:52 PM

WTH is it with Steelers fans? If the Steelers run the ball, they ask why more pass plays weren't called. If they pass the ball, they then ask why more run plays weren't called. Bitch and moan, fickle, fickle, fickle. :der:

Chances are, if Mendy didn't fumble, we continue to run and probably take the lead on that drive, and more than likely continue to pound it the rest of the way. Instead, we lost the ball and the Packers almost immediately scored another TD to go back up by 28-17. You really want to play grind-it-out trailing by 2 scores with 12 minutes left on the clock? Don't think so. The author of that blog really needs to think about it some more.

HometownGal
02-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Chances are, if Mendy didn't fumble, we continue to run and probably take the lead on that drive, and more than likely continue to pound it the rest of the way. Instead, we lost the ball and the Packers almost immediately scored another TD to go back up by 28-17. You really want to play grind-it-out trailing by 2 scores with 12 minutes left on the clock? Don't think so. The author of that blog really needs to think about it some more.

Agreed. Our backs were a bit against the wall and we were running out of time to get the ball downfield and into the EZ. I have absolutely no problem with the decision to lean heavily into the passing game at that point.

Psycho Ward 86
02-08-2011, 05:47 PM
We only missed the chance to run the ball as much as we wanted to because we fell behind so fast so early on. Besides, I think even if we ran the ball more early on we would have had to pass to win because we just didn't have an answer for the Packers offense.

zulater
02-09-2011, 12:51 PM
We were down by a measly 4 points and there was still a substantial amount of time left in the 3rd quarter. We ran the ball exclusively on our opening posssesion of the 3rd quarter and drove for a touchdown. We drove from our own 40 to the Packers 29 on 4 plays, 2 runs, and 2 passes. First and 10 from the Packers 29, half of the 3rd quarter remaining, two incompletions, and a sack, that's your next 3 plays, missed 52 yard fg attempt is the result of your efforts.

Yeah I think it could be safely argued that we went a little pass happy there with our play calling.

The WH
02-09-2011, 03:40 PM
I still don't get going for a 52 yard field goal. I am not in charge, and don't claim to know everything. Why not have faith in you D and special teams and try and pin them deep, possibly turn the field position game around majorly in your favor? I had to watch the game on mute, and can't listen to the radio, so if they explained it then, I apologize.

Count Steeler
02-09-2011, 03:49 PM

What I want to see is more exploitation of the opponents weaknesses. Green Bay was clearly unable to stop our running game. I don't care if we run or pass, as long as we are exploiting and scoring points.

ALLD
02-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Green Bay could not seal the edge. We were gaining 7 to 8 yards per long carry with only every third or fouth a no gain. Good time for PAP. In fact, Redman should have been used more and nobody stopped Mendy except himself.

I think the Steelers panicked when they still had the opportunity to run right at the Pack like a Csonka/Franco hybrid.

A lot of the problems with the passing game could have been alieviated with more early ground pounding and good rotation.