PDA

View Full Version : Labor uncertainty clouds Steelers' plans

stillers4me
02-08-2011, 04:50 AM
Strong safety Troy Polamalu forced a smile as he posed with Rev. Jesse Jackson not far from the Steelers' locker room after Super Bowl XLV.

Inside linebacker James Farrior and tight end Heath Miller, both Steelers captains, embraced without saying a word before passing one another on the ground floor of Cowboys Stadium.

Finality hit the Steelers hard Sunday night. The offseason started as the Steelers came up short in their bid to win a third Super Bowl in six seasons.

This is probably of little consolation to the players, with the wounds still so fresh, but a 31-25 loss to the Green Bay Packers marked the end of a season — but not necessarily the end of an era.

"I think we still have a core group of players that we can build around and hopefully make another run at it," Steelers president Art Rooney II said.

Indeed, the Steelers have a franchise quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, in place, and plenty of young talent around him. The defense may be aging, but it leans on a handful of young players such as linebackers LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons, and defensive end Ziggy Hood.

"I love this group," said Farrior, who turned 36 last month but plans on returning next season. "There's still a lot of football in us, and we've just got to stay together. Hopefully everything will work out in the offseason."...................

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_721846.html