PDA

View Full Version : Steeler Nation

Doc_Holiday
02-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Really?!? We had to go with this and not come up with our own? The Raider's already claimed this and the Raider Nation stuck (I prefer the Fader Nation).

But we have Six Lombardi Trophies in our possession and we can come up with a better name for our Dynasty than Steeler Nation. I mean The Packers have the Cheese Heads; not the Packer Nation.

We're better than this, c'mon let's propose something for our boys to get behind.

Borski
02-08-2011, 01:43 AM
Sorry but I disagree. I love Steeler Nation. I'm not sure why you are complaining about it now I'v heard the fan base called this for years.

Galax Steeler
02-08-2011, 03:34 AM
Sorry but I disagree. I love Steeler Nation. I'm not sure why you are complaining about it now I'v heard the fan base called this for years.

Agreed I like Steeler Nation as well.

43Hitman
02-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Really?!? We had to go with this and not come up with our own? The Raider's already claimed this and the Raider Nation stuck (I prefer the Fader Nation).

But we have Six Lombardi Trophies in our possession and we can come up with a better name for our Dynasty than Steeler Nation. I mean The Packers have the Cheese Heads; not the Packer Nation.

We're better than this, c'mon let's propose something for our boys to get behind.

Exactly how long have you been a fan of the Steelers? We've been known as Steeler Nation for as long as I can remember. At least since the late 80's Early 90's.

SteelerEmpire
02-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Quote from "Wikipedia":

"Steelers Nation is the unofficial name of the fan base of the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers, coined by NFL Films narrator John Facenda in "Blueprint for Victory," the team's 1975 highlights film. Steelers Country is often used for the Pittsburgh area where the fan base originates or for areas with a large Steelers fan base."

LINK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steeler_Nation

silver & black
02-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Well............. the truth of the matter is, you guys used "Nation" before we did. For whatever reason, "Raider Nation" stuck with this team... it has a nice ring to it. I will always admit to "Steeler Nation" coming before "Raider Nation", but... There is no other sports team that will ever be recognized as "Nation" more than the Raiders.

I think I read somewhere that the Red Sox coined the phrase before either of our teams used it.

steeldawg
02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Also Mike Mcarthy when addressing the greenbay fans at greenbay today called them packer nation.

stillers4me
02-08-2011, 05:41 PM
I think it has just become a general term for the fan base of any team.

tube517
02-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Interesting. I always thought the Crypt Keeper had it first.....

Just like "America's Team" was offered to the Steelers first but The Chief turned down Ed Sabol's offer.

Well............. the truth of the matter is, you guys used "Nation" before we did. For whatever reason, "Raider Nation" stuck with this team... it has a nice ring to it. I will always admit to "Steeler Nation" coming before "Raider Nation", but... There is no other sports team that will ever be recognized as "Nation" more than the Raiders.

I think I read somewhere that the Red Sox coined the phrase before either of our teams used it.

SMR
02-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Steeler Nation it is!!!!!!!

silver & black
02-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Interesting. I always thought the Crypt Keeper had it first.....

Just like "America's Team" was offered to the Steelers first but The Chief turned down Ed Sabol's offer.

Nope. "Raider Nation" wasn't used untill the early 80's. "Steeler Nation" has been used since the mid 70's.

43Hitman
02-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Nope. "Raider Nation" wasn't used untill the early 80's. "Steeler Nation" has been used since the mid 70's.

yeah I was pretty sure it was, but figured I'd play it safe and say the 80's/90's. I didn't feel like looking it up and I was too young in the 70's to remember more than just the SB's. Back then only football you'd get was local stuff.

7SteelGal43
02-08-2011, 08:25 PM
There is no other sports team that will ever be recognized as "Nation" more than the Raiders.

I don't know about that, S&B.

silver & black
02-09-2011, 06:41 PM
I don't know about that, S&B.

That is, of course, just my opinion. As I said, Steeler Nation came before Raider Nation. BUT... Raider Nation is used more frequently and is more recognizable with the term "nation" than any other sports team, as far as I can tell. I might be wrong, but I haven't seen anything that would disprove it.

7SteelGal43
02-09-2011, 06:58 PM
That is, of course, just my opinion. As I said, Steeler Nation came before Raider Nation. BUT... Raider Nation is used more frequently and is more recognizable with the term "nation" than any other sports team, as far as I can tell. I might be wrong, but I haven't seen anything that would disprove it.

Well prolly since you are "IN" Raider Nation and I am "IN" Steeler Nation it's a perspective thing. I hear references to Steeler Nation way more often than Raider Nation. Personally, I can prolly count the times I've heard Raider Nation on one hand.

silver & black
02-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Well prolly since you are "IN" Raider Nation and I am "IN" Steeler Nation it's a perspective thing. I hear references to Steeler Nation way more often than Raider Nation. Personally, I can prolly count the times I've heard Raider Nation on one hand.

:drink:

O'Malley
02-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Steelers Nation is used from Australia to Canada to Mexico...................Just Sayin....:tt02:

silver & black
02-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Steelers Nation is used from Australia to Canada to Mexico...................Just Sayin....:tt02:

So is Raider Nation....................... just sayin. :bounce: