PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl report card, mine vs Gerry Dulac

zulater
02-07-2011, 09:44 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11038/1123708-66.stm

QB Dulac: B-

My grade for Ben was a C, just too many missed opportunities. I pretty much absolve Ben for the pick 6, but the second interception was a poor decision. Plus he missed too many open receivers on crucial plays. He should have had Wallace for a td on the play that preceeded the ill advised 53 yard fg att.

But he did throw two touchdown passes, and made some other good plays, including a few scrambles for first downs. If Ben had a B or B+ game the Steelers probably win this game.

RB's

Dulac: B-

My grade for the backs was B, leaning strongly to B+. It was a tough break on the fumble, a helmet directly on the ball, the same sort of play that led to Jerome Bettis infamous fumble that nearly cost the Steelers the divsional playoff game vs the Colts back in 05. But other than that all three rb's (Mendy, Moore, and Redman) ran strong, and made yards after contact. If I have one complaint with the running game is that it was underutilized in a game where Ben was clearly struggling with his accuracy.

Wr's and TE's

Dulac's grade C+

My grade B+, Wallace got seperation with a chance to make deep plays several times where Ben just didn't manage to get him the ball. If I have one complaint with wallace it's that I thought perhaps he could have fought harder to prevent the second interception. Not saying that int wasn't on Ben, but damn Mike, you got to act like a db there. But stillMike had 8 catches and a nice td.

Other than Wallace, I thought Ward had an exellent game ( of course mostly after Woodson's departure) Randle El came up big, I was a little dissapointed that Heath wasn't a bigger part of the offense though. and Antoine Brown was M.I.A.

Offensive line

Dulac's grade B-

My grade B+, I almost went A-, but then I remembered the missed block by Kemo that led to the pick 6. Other than that and a couple motion penalties, the offensive line played superb. Legurskey was my player of the game.

zulater
02-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Defensive line

Dulac's grade C+

My grade C+, Ziggy got another sack, and Keisel had a few pressures, Hampton went largley unnoticed

Linebackers

Dulac's grade B-

My grade C

Woodley had a pretty good game and got his usual playoff sack, as did Harrison, but I expected more from these guys, particuarly Harrison. I thought timmons had a pretty solid game, probably the best of the linebackers. Farrior missed a crucial tackle. The Steelers defense is set up for the lb's to make splash plays, for the most part they didn't.

DB's

Dulac's grade :D

My grade D, Troy had a horrible game, and Gay and Madison had their usual game, which is to say they got beat too frequently. Ike was ok for the most part.

Special teams

Dulac's grade D+

My grade. C two huge penalties on kick returns really crippled the Steelers. Mundy's hold cost the Steelers field position from midfield to their own 7, which of course was the starting point of the pick 6, and Keyaron Fox's stupid personal foul cost the Steelers 13 crucial yards of starting field position on their final drive.

Other than that the coverage untis were strong all game, and the kickers did their job. ( I'm not blaming a journeyman fg kicker for missing an ill advised 52 yard att.)

Coaching

Dulac's grade C

My grade C-. On offense I thought the running game was underutilzed, particuarly on a night when Ben was clearly struggling.

On defense, we just didn't have enough answers.

I thought Tomlin made a poor decision going for a 52 yard fg att.

Craic
02-07-2011, 10:09 PM
zulater[/B]]Legurskey was my player of the game

That, my friend, is the most missed element of this entire game, IMO.

I have no idea why Leg. isn't starting on a line that is going through so many players. Is it because he is a backup center, and we don't really have anyone else? Bad reason, I think. I don't believe we need to draft an interior lineman. Let Leg. start at right guard, Kemo is fine at left guard (he makes a mistake now and then, but over all, he is an above average Guard I think). We need to figure out what we are going to do with the tackles. Both positions are up in the air at this point, as far as I am concerned.

But Legursky- He did an EXCELLENT Job. DIdn't hear Raji's name called once.

zulater
02-07-2011, 10:15 PM
That, my friend, is the most missed element of this entire game, IMO.

I have no idea why Leg. isn't starting on a line that is going through so many players. Is it because he is a backup center, and we don't really have anyone else? Bad reason, I think. I don't believe we need to draft an interior lineman. Let Leg. start at right guard, Kemo is fine at left guard (he makes a mistake now and then, but over all, he is an above average Guard I think). We need to figure out what we are going to do with the tackles. Both positions are up in the air at this point, as far as I am concerned.

But Legursky- He did an EXCELLENT Job. DIdn't hear Raji's name called once.

Could be that Tomlin's ruse of letting the Packers think that Pouncey might play all week might have kept the Packers from digging deep enough to find Legurskey's hole card? Don't get me wrong I like Legurskey, but he just might be one of those guys who excells in a backup role, but if you expose him to light too often he'll go bad in a hurry.

tube517
02-07-2011, 10:41 PM
As I said in my Doug Legursky thread, he is the OL version of Chris Hoke. Somebody that knows the system, isn't "talented" enough to be the starter but is a scrappy guy who can hold his own if called to duty. He may be just be a better center than a RG but I'll leave that for Coach Kugler to decide.

Could be that Tomlin's ruse of letting the Packers think that Pouncey might play all week might have kept the Packers from digging deep enough to find Legurskey's hole card? Don't get me wrong I like Legurskey, but he just might be one of those guys who excells in a backup role, but if you expose him to light too often he'll go bad in a hurry.

Steeldude
02-08-2011, 12:46 AM
i expected more from woodley. it appeared to me that he was solo-blocked most, if not all, of the game. i thought this guy was supposed to be a monster who needs to be re-signed? i really don't think he will be missed if he goes elsewhere. the steelers will install a new LBer to take his place as they have always done before.

IMO, the team didn't show up to play. it didn't really look like they were into it. the offensive game plan looked like a grab-bag offense. the defense rather relaxed and predictable. as usual the middle of the field is open. you would think by now that lebeau would see this huge chink in the armor.

Craic
02-08-2011, 12:54 AM

That may be true. However, he has had enough starts/playing time now that I think there would be enough tape on him.

Tube's assessment may be accurate as well. If that is the case, then I am quite set on our center position for the next 10 years-and on our Bronco package fullback. I wish I still had the tape of him at guard. I'd be interested to see just how good he did, and whether his game deteriorated over the intervening weeks until our starter came back.

Either way, I think it would be fair to give him a shot at RG next year-let him battle it out.

Steeldude
02-08-2011, 03:41 AM
I'd be interested to see just how good he did, and whether his game deteriorated over the intervening weeks until our starter came back.

there was a site(one man's opinion) that broke down each lineman's play in each game of the season. if i remember correctly, legursky had trouble with pass protection, but did well in the run department. i believe his inconsistency in pass protection led the team to install foster at RG for the remainder of the season.

Craic
02-08-2011, 06:01 AM
there was a site(one man's opinion) that broke down each lineman's play in each game of the season. if i remember correctly, legursky had trouble with pass protection, but did well in the run department. i believe his inconsistency in pass protection led the team to install foster at RG for the remainder of the season.

Hmm.

Look at our run game vs. our pass game Sunday. Interesting.

86WARD
02-08-2011, 07:04 AM
YEah..."shockingly" the Offensive line played well. I think a lot of this loss falls on the coaching staff and obviously the turnovers. With some better decisions and less carelessness, we'd be celebrating #7 right now. Even with all of that, there was still a chance to win it at the end...

Godfather
02-08-2011, 07:36 AM
YEah..."shockingly" the Offensive line played well. I think a lot of this loss falls on the coaching staff and obviously the turnovers. With some better decisions and less carelessness, we'd be celebrating #7 right now. Even with all of that, there was still a chance to win it at the end...

I'm not sure I can blame the coaches too much. They didn't overthrow an open Wallace near the end zone...that was 7 right there. And two of the plays that bit us the hardest (the second INT and the last Packers touchdown) happened when Ben and Troy improvised and got burned. That's not on the staff, or even on Ben and Troy since they've gotten us three Super Bowl trips and two Lombardis by taking chances like that.

HometownGal
02-08-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm not sure I can blame the coaches too much. They didn't overthrow an open Wallace near the end zone...that was 7 right there. And two of the plays that bit us the hardest (the second INT and the last Packers touchdown) happened when Ben and Troy improvised and got burned. That's not on the staff, or even on Ben and Troy since they've gotten us three Super Bowl trips and two Lombardis by taking chances like that.

Stop it G!!!! You're making way too much sense!!! :heh: :thumbsup:

Texasteel
02-08-2011, 08:28 AM

I agree with you, the coaching did not loose this game, the team lost this game, or could it be that GB won it. After all it was a GB player that beat our guard and caused the int. for their 2nd TD. It was GBs LBs that got a shot on the ball to caused the fumble that killed what could have been the winning score for us.

I am not going to point any fingers for this loss. We just got beat. The day before or the day after it could have been different, but on Feb. 6. We lost the game, and GB won it.

Steeldude
02-08-2011, 10:54 AM
the coaches are as much to blame as the players.

the steelers looked ill-prepared. it's very similar to how they look whenever they play the patriots.

Dino 6 Rings
02-08-2011, 02:33 PM
the coaches are as much to blame as the players.

the steelers looked ill-prepared. it's very similar to how they look whenever they play the patriots.

I agree, and I'm starting to get mad at the 4th down play...at the end...why not use the last time out there? You can see the receivers and Ben are not on the same page at all, what's the point of keeping it? if you don't convert you lose...if you do convert after burning the time out you still can spike the ball to stop the clock or get it out of bounds...at least get in position for a deep throw to the endzone or something...instead...oh and the back was open with enough yardage for the 1st if ben checks down...but instead...we throw to wallace...which, pretty much, you knew were going wallace or ward in that spot...

coaching...really question it at this point. but it was just one bad game for the entire team...

zulater
02-08-2011, 02:37 PM
I agree, and I'm starting to get mad at the 4th down play...at the end...why not use the last time out there? You can see the receivers and Ben are not on the same page at all, what's the point of keeping it? if you don't convert you lose...if you do convert after burning the time out you still can spike the ball to stop the clock or get it out of bounds...at least get in position for a deep throw to the endzone or something...instead...oh and the back was open with enough yardage for the 1st if ben checks down...but instead...we throw to wallace...which, pretty much, you knew were going wallace or ward in that spot...

coaching...really question it at this point. but it was just one bad game for the entire team...

Actually the Steelers should have used their final time out defensively after making the stop on second and goal with 2.55 remaining in the game. As it was we got no benifit whatsoever from the 2 minute warning as it was enacted immediatly after the kickoff.

HometownGal
02-08-2011, 03:23 PM
I don't put much blame on the coaches for the loss. Overthrown and underthrown passes, turnovers, Kemo missed a key block stupid penalties, secondary getting torched . . . all boils down to lack of execution. Just the way I see it. I also give the Pack (and especially Rodgers) a ton of credit for getting it together in the 4th as Rodgers looked pretty damned rattled the entire 3rd quarter.

zulater
02-08-2011, 03:42 PM
The coaches deserve some blame as well. Now understand that saying that the coaching staff has some culpability isn't tantamount to calling for their jobs or saying they're incompetent. But after rewatching the game I can cite at least 5 examples of questionable coaching. Arains, LeBeau, and Tomlin all made some mistakes imo that came back to bite the Steelers.

Now of course it's easy to second guess after the fact. And just as is the case with the players, as the game is being played things are going about 900 miles an hour and it's not as if you can sit there and ponder as if it's a game of chess. But later as I'll illustrate there most certainly were times when the coaches probably have a call they would like to take back, just as Ben, Kemo, Polamalu, Mendy, Farrior, etc... most certainly had a few plays they could like to have back.

It was a team loss, and the last I checked the coaches are most certainly part of the team.