PDA

View Full Version : Steelers feeling the pain

stillers4me
02-07-2011, 11:26 AM
I've covered the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) for three seasons now while doing the AFC North blog, and this was by far the most downtrodden I've ever seen this team.

There were a lot of blank stares from a group of veterans unfamiliar with losing Super Bowls. Players who were usually boisterous and upbeat were extremely sullen and shocked. It was an inner pain that could only come from being within six points and one drive from the ultimate goal of winning a championship.

Here is some emotional reaction from the Steelers after their 31-25 Super Bowl XLV loss to the Green Bay Packers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers):

Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4433)

"I don't feel anything but pain. … I know I lost an AFC Championship game one time and the pain was there for about four to six weeks. I don't know how long this is going to last but I hope it is over with fast." ............

read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/24492/steelers-feeling-the-pain

Merchant
02-07-2011, 12:05 PM
How else are they supposed to feel? Overcome with joy after losing a Super Bowl?

Iron Steeler
02-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Sigh... so close

venom
02-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Hold the ball Mendyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!!!

Its going to be a long off season

Edman
02-07-2011, 12:33 PM
You've just lost a chance at more immortality.

How do you expect them to feel? Overcome with Jubilance? I've pretty much numbed myself to the pain, but it's going to sting for a while. You just lost the Super Bowl. You're gonna be feeling it, buddy.

HometownGal
02-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Sure it hurts these guys and it's going to for a while but they have a very bright future with a couple of nips and tucks on the OL and secondary! This team is going to be around for a while and will get that 7th Lombardi - I'm 100% sure of that. :tt03:

Some of those people who responded are ignorant twizzledicks. :upyours:

Count Steeler
02-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Glad to see everyone feeling badly. They did not play a spectular game. Some individuals showed up big time, but others were invisible. The standard is the standard, every game. Need to figure out how not to beat ourselves. We recovered against Baltimore, but 3 TOs yesterday, without any of our own, was just too much to overcome. And yet we still had a chance to win. I love this team.

fansince'76
02-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Some of those people who responded are ignorant twizzledicks. :upyours:

The ESPN boards are full of dipshits.

BlastFurnace
02-07-2011, 04:44 PM
The hard part is that Super Bowls are rare...not easily attained...from an emotional and physical standpoint for these players. You just have to hope that they can re-charge their engines to reach down and make another run.

We, as Steeler fans, are fortunate to have seen the Steelers make 3 in the past 6 years and win 2 of them. Fortunate....yes. Spoiled...yes.

As a fan...16 years later, the most painful loss for me is the 1994 AFC Championship Game, but yesterday's is close.

ALLD
02-07-2011, 05:04 PM
This is like the day John Lennon was murdered.

tube517
02-07-2011, 05:07 PM
I was sick for weeks after that loss. I feel like I'm in a daze, even during the game.

The hard part is that Super Bowls are rare...not easily attained...from an emotional and physical standpoint for these players. You just have to hope that they can re-charge their engines to reach down and make another run.

We, as Steeler fans, are fortunate to have seen the Steelers make 3 in the past 6 years and win 2 of them. Fortunate....yes. Spoiled...yes.

As a fan...16 years later, the most painful loss for me is the 1994 AFC Championship Game, but yesterday's is close.

Edman
02-07-2011, 05:09 PM
It was TWENTY five years from Number 4 to Number 5. It took fifteen years to get to another Super Bowl after number 4. Another ten to get back there again and win it.

There are no guarantees this Steelers team is going to get another shot at number 7. Just saying.

What I think they should do is start reloading for the future.

SMR
02-07-2011, 05:11 PM
It was TWENTY five years from Number 4 to Number 5. It took fifteen years to get to another Super Bowl after number 4. Another ten to get back there again and win it.

There are no guarantees this Steelers team is going to get another shot at number 7. Just saying.

What I think they should do is start reloading for the future.

If that is the case, start with the SECONDARY please!!!!!!!!! Our secondary was the reason geeky boy Rodgers got the MVP honor.

BlastFurnace
02-07-2011, 05:39 PM
I was sick for weeks after that loss. I feel like I'm in a daze, even during the game.

Have you ever wondered why a loss by a professional sports team eats at fans so much?

HometownGal
02-07-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm well over the loss and am already looking forward to the draft, TC and the start of the 2011 season! :tt03: We have a phenomenal owner, great FO staff and draft gurus, a very competent coaching staff who the players totally respect and want to play for and a team who will be re-energized and one year better next season. :tt02:

memphissteelergirl
02-07-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm well over the loss and am already looking forward to the draft, TC and the start of the 2011 season! :tt03: We have a phenomenal owner, great FO staff and draft gurus, a very competent coaching staff who the players totally respect and want to play for and a team who will be re-energized and one year better next season. :tt02:

Hear, here! And I pray there is a "next season" :pray:
And when they come back they will be focused and ready for another run for #7!

fansince'76
02-07-2011, 05:48 PM

I was pretty bummed this morning, but I'm beginning to snap out of it.

smokin3000gt
02-07-2011, 06:07 PM
It kicked me in the nutts but I was soon over it when I realized not one of those Steelers are kicking cans because I don't have any work on the books tomorrow. I am glad the Steelers are taking it this hard because next year they will put that much more into practice.

stillers4me
02-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I'll fine until I get to work and have to face the Bungle fans.

Oh crap. The guy that runs the optical shop next foor is a big gambler and he bet heavily on us. Oh crap!

steelpride12
02-07-2011, 06:10 PM
How I think of this and to settle my pain for the loss is think of the players and how upset they feel letting down their team mates and the fans, this team has a chance to come back next season fully healthy with majority of the same players if not improved ones with the draft up and coming and repeating chances are strong and now they will want it more than ever. I know Ben is truly hurt today and was redemption and what better time than next season, can't wait already for 2011 season!

SMR
02-07-2011, 06:25 PM
I'll fine until I get to work and have to face the Bungle fans.

Oh crap. The guy that runs the optical shop next foor is a big gambler and he bet heavily on us. Oh crap!

Oh dang! THAT sux. Hang in there for that one. You'll recover.

Devilsdancefloor
02-07-2011, 07:15 PM
it will take a few days as it should i think, but i believe in everything black and gold! i had to face a lot of GB fans today ugh every chance i thought ok snap out of it another one would show up wanting to poke at the wound and add a lil salt