PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Draft Preview: Brandon Harris

Steel Hurtin
02-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Well, it’s time to look ahead to the 2011 NFL Draft, and what better way to start that season than by looking at a few potential Pittsburgh Steelers’ draft selections?

Exactly! There IS no better way. That’s why I pay the big bucks to keep this place running. Or something like that.

The first one will be a special treat for me, because it brings the best of two worlds to my fingertips – the Pittsburgh Steelers and Miami’s own Hurricanes. We’ll be taking a look at cornerback Brandon Harris.

<More (http://steelhurtin.com/2011/02/07/pittsburgh-2011-draft-preview-brandon-harris-cb-miami/#more-131)>

Merchant
02-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Looks like a solid pick. Corner is definitely our #1 need. That's why our defense struggles the most against teams that spread us out.. McFadden, Gay, and Madison just can't stick with their guys. If Keenan Lewis can't make it on the field over Madison then my hope is diminishing for him. We do have a bit of a wildcard in Crezdon Butler who was raw coming out of college but has the physical skillset to become a solid corner.

Iron Steeler
02-07-2011, 12:57 PM
I dont know how everyone else feels but I am willing to trade up to fulfill our desperate need for a DB... kinda like how we traded up to get TROY. Im tired of just sitting around and seeing best avail at position falls to us... find the guy that will turn our weakness into a strength immediately. Imagine this Derrel Revis coulda been a Steeler , no one would pass on our defense... lets get a STUD at cornerback position.

That being said I gotta go to the film room and see what talent is out there.

Iron Steeler
02-07-2011, 01:25 PM
We do have a bit of a wildcard in Crezdon Butler who was raw coming out of college but has the physical skillset to become a solid corner.

Merch I agree with you. I would love to see the steelers get this guy in the game more, be it garbage time or what have you, i just want to see him get comfortable with the speed of the game . Get his game legs under him he could be a hidden gem. Imagine if we draft a stud DB in the draft (Prince Amukamara plz) and coach Crez to highlight his skills. WE CAN TURN THIS SECONDARY PROBLEM AROUND VERY QUICKLY!

Next season... (if there is one)...
Our O line will be healthy. Max, Willie, and Pouncey. Two Tackles and a Center...3 of the most crucial position in the line.
Aaron Smith will be back, along with Keisel . And Ziggy is finally starting to make a name for himself.
Emanual Sanders,Antonio Brown, and Wallace are emerging stars. (hope hines stays)
LIMAS SWEED!?!? You know this guy has the biggest chip on his shoulder he could be another Gem.

and lastly we have a group of young men on our O-line (except flo) that have gained experience as a starter. So what? you might be thinking... now we have reliable backups for insurance.

If we play our cards right with keeping players and drafting, there is not much of an adjustment needed for this team.

I say this with pride , if this Steelers team is 100% healthy , they can beat anyone!!! :tt03: :tt02:

tube517
02-07-2011, 01:40 PM
I bet he'll be given a chance in camp. They usually sit rookies and they make more of an impact in their 2nd year. Troy, Woodley, Timmons, Ike all sat their 1st year and got more playing time in the 2nd. :hmm:

Looks like a solid pick. Corner is definitely our #1 need. That's why our defense struggles the most against teams that spread us out.. McFadden, Gay, and Madison just can't stick with their guys. If Keenan Lewis can't make it on the field over Madison then my hope is diminishing for him. We do have a bit of a wildcard in Crezdon Butler who was raw coming out of college but has the physical skillset to become a solid corner.

steelerdude15
02-07-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm so excited for the draft! I personally think we should go with an offensive linemen as our first pick, but if we can get a solid corner who is "shut-down," I'm all for it. With that being said, if we do get a corner who makes his way to the start spot, I would like to see Ike still starting along side this guy.

SteelerFanInStl
02-07-2011, 03:30 PM
I bet he'll be given a chance in camp. They usually sit rookies and they make more of an impact in their 2nd year. Troy, Woodley, Timmons, Ike all sat their 1st year and got more playing time in the 2nd. :hmm:

Woodley played in 13 games his first year and was starting the first game of his second year. Troy played in 16 games his first year and was starting the first game of his second year. Timmons played in 16 games each of his first two years and became a starter in game #3 of his third year. It took him longer because of his injuries. Ike played in 16 games his rookie year, starting one. His second year he played in 13 games and started one. He was the starter the first game of his third year. All of these guys were actually playing in their rookie seasons, not just occasionally dressing and only playing special teams. I really don't think that you can compare any of these guys to Lewis and Butler.

Keenan Lewis played in 4 games his rookie year and 9 games this year, mostly all just special teams. Crezdon Butler played in 4 games this year. With our weak CBs, these two guys couldn't even get on the field. I still hold out hope for Butler as he was a raw prospect, has good size and it was his rookie year but I think that we missed on Lewis.

SteelerFanInStl
02-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm so excited for the draft! I personally think we should go with an offensive linemen as our first pick, but if we can get a solid corner who is "shut-down," I'm all for it. With that being said, if we do get a corner who makes his way to the start spot, I would like to see Ike still starting along side this guy.

IMO CB is a more immediate need than OL. Getting Ike signed should be the #1 priority right now.

Devilsdancefloor
02-07-2011, 03:49 PM
i love brandon harris i got to watch him 3 games this year and i was shocked at his humble, but really good skill set.

GodfatherofSoul
02-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Our backup o-line got us to the Super bowl. I'd say that's low on the list unless some beast of a tackle drops low enough to snag. I'm with the CB first round pick, too.

st33lersguy
02-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't mind trading up for Brandon Harris

Merchant
02-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Imagine if we draft a stud DB in the draft (Prince Amukamara plz) and coach Crez to highlight his skills. WE CAN TURN THIS SECONDARY PROBLEM AROUND VERY QUICKLY!

No chance we are getting Prince Amukamara unless we trade up.

Galax Steeler
02-08-2011, 03:43 AM
I like the sound of drafting a shutdown corner.

Steeldude
02-08-2011, 03:46 AM
one thing is certain, mcfadden PI and gay are not starting CBs. i was so disappointed when the steelers re-signed mcfadden. the guy was horrible when he was here the first time. he is a good tackler, but that's about it.

gay is decent as a nickel CB in a zone. he is a below average tackler.

Pete The Greek
02-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Steelers need to draft or find more than one DB. With teams using the spread against the 3-4, it's time to invest on finding 3 -4 DB who can play man-to-man coverage. Gay and McFadden are not the answers.

Iron Steeler
02-08-2011, 11:13 PM
No chance we are getting Prince Amukamara unless we trade up.

Ya i know , but cant i dream!!!

Unless he drops to like 17-20ish.. if that happens I am totally ok in pulling the trigger to go up and get him. Right now hes looking like a top 15 player tho..

Iron Steeler
02-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Steelers need to draft or find more than one DB. With teams using the spread against the 3-4, it's time to invest on finding 3 -4 DB who can play man-to-man coverage. Gay and McFadden are not the answers.

I agree with you man...

Free agency...??? Nnamdi Asomugha ?

zulater
03-01-2011, 12:59 PM
i love brandon harris i got to watch him 3 games this year and i was shocked at his humble, but really good skill set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0yjcu9CJvc

He looks like a perfect fit for the Steelers to me!

Chidi29
03-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Harris looked good at the Combine. Came in pretty small, but runs well and has extremely fluid hips. Was one of the better DBs in drills.

Texasteel
03-01-2011, 02:24 PM
I thought both Harris and Williams looked good, Dowling ran well, and Carmichael move well for a guy that's been banged up all year. I kinda liked Marsh, and Gilchrist as well. Didn't think Burton did that well, he looked a little stiff and almost disinterested. For some reason, all the time I was watching House I was thinking Safety.

Chidi29
03-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I thought both Harris and Williams looked good, Dowling ran well, and Carmichael move well for a guy that's been banged up all year. I kinda liked Marsh, and Gilchrist as well. Didn't think Burton did that well, he looked a little stiff and almost disinterested. For some reason, all the time I was watching House I was thinking Safety.

Mayock kept thinking that Williams should move to safety.

Good call on Gilchrist. He did look good. Wasn't a big fan of House either. Was hoping to see more.

Merchant
03-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Wasn't impressed with Williams at all. Looked mediocre to me, nothing that screams 1st-round-pick.

The Duke
03-01-2011, 07:20 PM
he was measured at 5'9

does anyone think we'd draft an undersized corner in the first? If he's there for round 2 I'm all for it :thumbsup:

Texasteel
03-02-2011, 07:58 AM
he was measured at 5'9

does anyone think we'd draft an undersized corner in the first? If he's there for round 2 I'm all for it :thumbsup:

I do get a little nervous with a short CB myself. Particularly with the WRs getting taller and faster.

SteelerFanInStl
03-02-2011, 08:48 AM
he was measured at 5'9

I'm a bit worried about his size too. I'd rather see a CB with a bit more size to take on these big WRs.

The mocks that I've looked at have Harris as a 2nd round pick, although not being available when we pick. Is the end of the first too early to take him?

Does anyone think that Jimmy Smith might fall to us? I love his size but the character issues are a concern.

LLT
03-02-2011, 09:24 AM

I think that Dowling might have got himself back into the 1st round and Williams forty probably will force him into being slotted as a safety and dropped him to the 2nd round.

But what a great year for DB's & DE's!!!!