PDA

View Full Version : After Super mistakes, Big Ben takes loss hard

SteelerEmpire
02-07-2011, 12:37 AM
DALLAS -- His nose was red and his eyes were wet. Either Ben Roethlisberger had come down with the flu, or he'd been crying after the Steelers' 31-25 loss to Green Bay on Sunday night in Super Bowl XLV.

LINK: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14655859/after-super-mistakes-big-ben-takes-loss-hard

steelreserve
02-07-2011, 12:41 AM
That's not the worst of it, Ben. In 10 years, your fiancee will look like the woman on the right side of the ad on that page. In 20 years, she'll look like the woman on the left.

Borski
02-07-2011, 12:46 AM
That's not the worst of it, Ben. In 10 years, your fiancee will look like the woman on the right side of the ad on that page. In 20 years, she'll look like the woman on the left.

What ad did you get?

steelreserve
02-07-2011, 01:16 AM
I got the Southwest Airlines one. I think this link will take you to the background. Then shudder at the women on the left and right:

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/Ads/2312/10/SWA_CBSSports_skin_1400x1000_R3_Final.jpg

Maybe they used targeted ads or something, since I used Southwest the last time I bought a plane ticket on this computer. That would be scary. Fricking Big Brother and his undermining my jokes.

tube517
02-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Let's hope Ben uses this as motivation to get there again. After all, he had jitters in SB XL and came up big in SB XLIII. He'll get another shot or two.

siss
02-07-2011, 02:25 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like Tomlin pushed Ben under the bus a little...he's spending a lot of time there lately!

Galax Steeler
02-07-2011, 03:47 AM
I am sure he isn't the only one that took it hard the whole team just seemed flat last night.

Michael
02-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like Tomlin pushed Ben under the bus a little...he's spending a lot of time there lately!

I agree. I am really surprised and somewhat dissapointed in Tomlin being so blunt . There is alot of pain within Ben and others. Football is like life and it doesn"t always go the way you want it too. The Steelers did great this year & I am proud of this team. Build on it and come back strong next year.

SteelerFanInStl
02-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Ben didn't have a great game but we were still in position to win it at the end. I'd like to know what happened on that final drive. The whole offense just looked disorganized. Ben saying that we didn't have any timeouts left is also confusing because there was one left. It was as if the team gave up and conceded defeat even though there were 2 minutes left.

BlastFurnace
02-07-2011, 10:09 AM
We still love you Ben. The Steelers don't even make this game without you as their QB.

7SteelGal43
02-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Yeah, I hate to see that. At least he put some blame on himself as well. As for Ben, say what you want about his performance, but last I checked, we were in the game in that last minute with a chance to win, we (as a T E A M) just came up a bit short.

7SteelGal43
02-07-2011, 10:16 AM
We still love you Ben. The Steelers don't even make this game without you as their QB.

^ this....plus, Ben's last drive in SBXLIII brought home #6

Just George
02-07-2011, 10:40 AM
"Asked to assess his quarterback's performance, Tomlin blurted out, "It was a losing one, just like mine."

is this throwing Ben "under the bus?"

Come on, it was honest and he acknowledge that HIS effort as coach was in the same category. I would think you would like this in a coach

and Ben knew it too.

Roethlisberger was severely outplayed by Aaron Rodgers (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/419780/aaron-rodgers). And again, Roethlisberger knew it.
"I don't blame anybody," he said, "but myself."

two classy guys taking responsibilty for not performing up to the "standard"

Edman
02-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Tomlin didn't throw anyone under the bus.

He flat out said we put out a losing effort. He coached a losing effort, we played a losing effort.

fansince'76
02-07-2011, 10:51 AM
"Asked to assess his quarterback's performance, Tomlin blurted out, "It was a losing one, just like mine."

Come on, it was honest and he acknowledge that HIS effort as coach was in the same category. I would think you would like this in a coach

and Ben knew it too.

Roethlisberger was severely outplayed by Aaron Rodgers (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/419780/aaron-rodgers). And again, Roethlisberger knew it.

Yep, I thought it was an honest and accurate assessment by Tomlin.

kittenfantastico76
You could read it in his face during the entire game - especially at the end. His eyes told the whole story of how bad he felt. That's the sign though of a true team player, he wasn't just disappointed in himself, but worried that he let the entire team down. Lots of players will blame others, Ben cares for his team and their wins - and I believe that is why come hell or high water they stand behind him.

tube517
http://www.thecriticalcondition.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/bus-pic.jpg

zulater
02-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm taking the loss hard as well. I haven't been able to turn on the tv or radio all day.

smokin3000gt
02-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Well it sucks we lost but you know what? Now Tomlin, Ben, and company know what it's like to be on the other side of the confetti for the first time ever. A feeling that nobody on that team has ever experienced (except FLO). A feeling so horrible, they never ever want to re-live it again. I think you are going to see our boys come back next year with a renewed dedication to the game.

Devilsdancefloor
02-07-2011, 12:28 PM

they are grown men some times the truth hurts other times it feels damn good.

Edman
02-07-2011, 12:37 PM
These guys got there twice before and got the confetti sprayed all over them.

They get there again and now the shoe is on the other foot. The confetti is falling again, but it's not for you. It sucks, doesn't it? Ben and this group is not untouchable anymore. Now the know the pain of losing.

Gonna have to deal with it and go into the offseason. Get back there again.

SteelerFanInStl
02-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Since we lost this time, maybe it won't take us two years to get back. :lol:

GodfatherofSoul
02-07-2011, 04:14 PM
This is going to be a real test of Tomlin's coaching. The team is obviously emotional and Ben put a lot of stock in what the win would do for him. But, Super Bowl losers tend to disappear. I just hope we have a circa 1994 experience where the team gets inspired to at least go one step further.

Count Steeler
02-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Redemption is a long road Ben. Character building never ends. Chalk this up to a life lesson and move on.

My only question to Tomlin would be, why did we stop rushing after we had such success in the 50 yard touchdown drive. We get the ball at our own 40 on the next possession, poised to pounce for the lead. Green Bay were clearly on their heels, why not shove the ball down their throats until they figure out how to stop the run?

ALLD
02-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Redemption is a long road Ben. Character building never ends. Chalk this up to a life lesson and move on.

My only question to Tomlin would be, why did we stop rushing after we had such success in the 50 yard touchdown drive. We get the ball at our own 40 on the next possession, poised to pounce for the lead. Green Bay were clearly on their heels, why not shove the ball down their throats until they figure out how to stop the run?

I thought this and not establishing the run early on is what really sunk the team. The Packers are the #18 ranked run defense and could not seal the edge. Run the ball early and maybe those two picks did not happen.

siss
02-07-2011, 07:19 PM

The only person Ben needs to seek redemption from is the Lord...and probably the Rooney's.

When the mourning period passes we will come to the conclusion that we got to the Super Bowl in a year everyone says we couldn't or wouldn't. And Big Ben will get us back to another.

tube517
02-08-2011, 06:54 AM
Ben will be fine. He's got young WR's to grow with. A stud at TE and a good pair of young RB's. Get him another OG and a CB for the defense and stay healthy and we'll be back.

86WARD
02-08-2011, 07:02 AM

and Ben knew it too.

QFT...

43Hitman
02-08-2011, 07:13 AM

and Ben knew it too.

I have no problem with those comments. It was the truth, and he took an equal share of that humble pie.

43Hitman
02-08-2011, 07:20 AM
This is going to be a real test of Tomlin's coaching. The team is obviously emotional and Ben put a lot of stock in what the win would do for him. But, Super Bowl losers tend to disappear. I just hope we have a circa 1994 experience where the team gets inspired to at least go one step further.

I'm not so sure about that. I think it was more of the media putting more stock into the win. They basically were saying that if he wins, he's forgiven in their eyes. At least that's the feeling I was getting from all the talking heads the last two weeks. Which in my opinion is stupid. Someone shouldn't be considered redeemed and changed just because they won a few games or the SB. Redemption comes from the way he lives his life from here on out.

GodfatherofSoul
02-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm not so sure about that. I think it was more of the media putting more stock into the win. They basically were saying that if he wins, he's forgiven in their eyes. At least that's the feeling I was getting from all the talking heads the last two weeks. Which in my opinion is stupid. Someone shouldn't be considered redeemed and changed just because they won a few games or the SB. Redemption comes from the way he lives his life from here on out.

The reason I say that is because in several of his pre-Superbowl interviews he'd make a comment about winning won for the Nation and taking it back as a sort of "let bygones be bygones" gesture.

43Hitman
02-08-2011, 10:38 AM
The reason I say that is because in several of his pre-Superbowl interviews he'd make a comment about winning won for the Nation and taking it back as a sort of "let bygones be bygones" gesture.

Ahh, yeah I remember him saying that now. That completely slopped my mind.