PDA

View Full Version : Hey, here's the good news about losing...

Psycho Ward 86
02-06-2011, 09:44 PM
1) We lost to one of the most prestigious and classiest organizations in football. Great job Green Bay, you gave us a helluva game. (I live in Wisconsin, and im getting a lot of crap, oh well lol)

2) Hines Ward won't retire!

3) Arians has a better chance of getting fired? :chuckle:

I say that last one half jokingly.

86WARD
02-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Better chance at getting the second Pouncey...:)

X-Terminator
02-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Half-jokingly my butt. I want Arians back next season just to stick it to the haters. Yeah, that may sound petty, but I don't care.

They have to do something about the secondary, though. If I have to go through one more season of McFadden and Gay impersonating NFL corners I'll lose my freaking mind.

steelerdude15
4) Hopefully bandwagon jumpers will go away once and for all.

tube517
Maybe now they will look at getting some CB's. That is their achilles heel.

Psycho Ward 86
02-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Better chance at getting the second Pouncey...:)

haha, there we go!

zulater
02-06-2011, 09:51 PM
I thought Arains did an ok job tonight. I only had two problems with the play calling. Thowing from the end zone was very dangerous, and when Kemo got beat clean at the line Ben was given little choice but to throw the ball up for grabs seeing as he was being hit as he threw. Now was that a bad play call? Not neccessarily, if Kemo ( who otherwise had a good game) doesn't get beat clean off the snap then who knows? But it was risky, maybe too risky?

The other problem I had with Arians was when he went pass happy in the 3rd quarter on the drive that ended with the missed 52 yard fg att.

But all in all, he did ok.

stillers4me
02-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Ariens won't be fired. He's at the end of his contract so now we wait to see if he's offered an extension or he retires.

And I'm damned proud to be a Steelers fan. You should have heard the Bengals fans celebrating in the streets because Green Bay won. It's the only way they get to celebrate a superbowl.

Psycho Ward 86
02-06-2011, 09:54 PM
I thought Arains did an ok job tonight. I only had two problems with the play calling. Thowing from the end zone was very dangerous, and when Kemo got beat clean at the line Ben was given little choice but to throw the ball up for grabs seeing as he was being hit as he threw. Now was that a bad play call? Not neccessarily, if Kemo ( who otherwise had a good game) doesn't get beat clean off the snap then who knows? But it was risky, maybe too risky?

The other problem I had with Arians was when he went pass happy in the 3rd quarter on the drive that ended with the missed 52 yard fg att.

Can't blame that one on playcall at all. Ben threw it because he was backed up inside of our own endzone so he didnt want to take the safety. Good reasoning by Ben, bad decision to think he'd get away with that floating duck up in the air. That second pick off of the crossing route in double coverage was all on Ben as well.

X-Terminator
02-06-2011, 09:55 PM

It was a risky play, but one that probably would have worked had he not had his arm hit. Anyway, I don't think Ben was sharp at all in this game and it seemed to me the whole offense was out of sync in the first half.

SteelerFanInStl
02-06-2011, 09:55 PM
They have to do something about the secondary, though. If I have to go through one more season of McFadden and Gay impersonating NFL corners I'll lose my freaking mind.

I certainly hope so. I'm so freaking tired of seeing those guys getting beat repeatedly. I'm happier with the current OL (when healthy) than I am with the CB situation.

zulater
02-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Can't blame that one on playcall at all. Ben threw it because he was backed up inside of our own endzone so he didnt want to take the safety. Good reasoning by Ben, bad decision to think he'd get away with that floating duck up in the air. That second pick off of the crossing route in double coverage was all on Ben as well.

I'm with you on the second pick, but Ben was getting hit as he delived the ball on the first pick, it wasn't anything to do with decision other than desperately trying to avoid the safety. Blame Kemo or the play call.

SteelerEmpire
02-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Maybe now they will look at getting some CB's. That is their achilles heel.

Darn sure got that right... same ol' Steeler secondary... AND Ben had a bad game.

The Duke
02-06-2011, 09:57 PM
My worry is arians will retire. I hope not. I don't love the guy, but I like the consistency in the coaching staff, plus ben loves him

4) Hopefully bandwagon jumpers will go away once and for all.

That's always a positive :thumbsup:

zulater
02-06-2011, 09:58 PM
It was a risky play, but one that probably would have worked had he not had his arm hit. Anyway, I don't think Ben was sharp at all in this game and it seemed to me the whole offense was out of sync in the first half.

Yeah I think 50% of that play falls on Kemo, and 50% should be credited to the Packers for making a good play all the way around, right from call call, to pass rush, to coverage.

steelpride12
02-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Don't foget this was Lebeu's last season on his contract, but I know he will be back next season which means we will have another dominate season.
I think the draft should start on the secondary on picks #1-2-3 for sure.

zulater
02-06-2011, 10:01 PM
My worry is arians will retire. I hope not. I don't love the guy, but I like the consistency in the coaching staff, plus ben loves him

That's always a positive :thumbsup:

Honestly I pray Arains retires. Not blaming him for anything, but I don't think Ben will take the step to the next level without a new OC. I might be wrong, but I think Ben can be coached up to avoid some of the sacks and learn to get the ball out in better rythm. But I don't think that will ever happen until Arains is gone.

Maybe I'm wrong? Not being a hater, just an opinion.

Steelsauce
02-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Just one more team to put on my hate list.

NE, Cleveland, Cincy, Baltimore, Dallas, and now GB.

Seriously, I don't care if they're classy. They just beat us in the Superbowl. I hope every Steeler that sulked off the field today hates the GB Packers so next time they meet they pound them into the turf. Hopefully next time they'll man up and play a half-way decent football game against them.

Iron Steeler
02-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Im sorry that i am not that upset.... probably because I dont hate the packers, and i respect them. BUT....

I break down our superbowl loss to 3 plays....

1) David Johnson hold on 3rd and 1 in the first quarter.
2) Bens pick six
3) Mendenhalls fumble

Three plays... and this story might have been told differently

fansince'76
And I'm damned proud to be a Steelers fan. You should have heard the Bengals fans celebrating in the streets because Green Bay won. It's the only way they get to celebrate a superbowl.

I'm sorry you're going to have to put up with that shit. Living in Denver, nobody here really cares.

XxKnightxX
I think this loss is good for us in a way. Im hurting right now, I never gave up, and to keep clawing out of that hole and to keep fighting and come up short, man that has my stomach up in a knot. But the Packers took advantage of every opportunity and they deserve to be the SB 45 champs. So Congratulations to Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers for their great title run. But back to us, I think this loss provides this.

1) That we can only play and sustain ourselves with such average play from our offensive line, and having Ben running around, and from having Ben hold on to the ball when he needs to get rid of it. I think this schoolyard play is starting to catch up to us. I think as an offensive unit, timing has to be more of an emphasis or just an overall execution of plays where Ben can make smart decisions. I think the O line did a good job except in some areas, and Ben had a lot of really horrible throws. He seemed like it was SB XL all over again.

2) Our young guys got a really bitter taste of what it is to lose in the big game, and it will only motivate the veterans and rookies/young players even more. There was a lot of miscomunnication on the receivers and Ben.

3) The bandwagongers have fallen off, only the real fans will stick through this loss and we can get back to Earth and humble ourselves back to our roots.

4) Our secondary just got flat out exposed, we need to develop a good concept of Team Defense on our secondary, McFadden and Gay were lost out there on the field, and Taylor allowing that conversion to Jennings made things even worse.

Overall, I just want some football next year, we lost okay nothing we can do. Lets move on and start looking at draft and FO work and hopefully a CBA agreement.

SteelerEmpire
02-06-2011, 10:07 PM
4) Our secondary just got flat out exposed, we need to develop a good concept of Team Defense on our secondary, McFadden and Gay were lost out there on the field, and Taylor allowing that conversion to Jennings made things even worse.

Yep. Once again. No surprise. And to think, Lebeau's specialty is supposed to be the secondary and is partly why he's in the Hall of Fame.

GoSlash27
02-06-2011, 10:07 PM
I really want the other Pouncey twin.

fansince'76
02-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Overall, I just want some football next year, we lost okay nothing we can do. Lets move on and start looking at draft and FO work and hopefully a CBA agreement.

I'm more concerned about a lockout/strike than anything else at this point. The two sides are miles apart from everything I've read, are making no movement whatsoever on a new agreement, and the current CBA expires in less than a month, which is alarming considering the lack of urgency I've seen from that clown Goodell regarding the negotiations.

43Hitman
02-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Half-jokingly my butt. I want Arians back next season just to stick it to the haters. Yeah, that may sound petty, but I don't care.

yeah we really, really need another corner that can shut down a second receiver. We are actually lucky that Nelson dropped as many balls as he did, or it would have been a lot worse.

fansince'76
02-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Yep. Once again. No surprise. And to think, Lebeau's specialty is supposed to be the secondary and is partly why he's in the Hall of Fame.

Can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

43Hitman
02-06-2011, 10:13 PM
no doubt FS76

SteelerFanInStl
02-06-2011, 10:13 PM
You should have heard the Bengals fans celebrating in the streets because Green Bay won. It's the only way they get to celebrate a superbowl.

Just remind them that their team still sucks. :lol:

tube517
02-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Although I think the secondary is our Achilles heel, the Packers have some good weapons. They weren't going to come out flat like the Broncos of the 80's. I think BMac is too injury prone. He was a solid CB in years past but he played hurt too much this year and was hurt last year with the Cards. I think they need to seriously get a CB in the draft.

X-Terminator
02-06-2011, 10:15 PM
You should have heard the Bengals fans celebrating in the streets because Green Bay won. It's the only way they get to celebrate a superbowl.

Pathetic, but not surprising at all. It's all they have, because their whole organization sucks.

SteelerFanInStl
02-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Exactly! We've failed miserable the last few years in trying to draft CBs.

NCSteeler
02-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Ariens won't be fired. He's at the end of his contract so now we wait to see if he's offered an extension or he retires.

I can't stand HATERs acting like all of a sudden they are fans of anyone playing the Steelers, Fuck em. just flat tired of it. Pick your team stick to em route for em. Here in NC where they are either Dallas or Washington, or Steelers, it is just tooooo much with all the Green bay fans pouring out of the Cowboy/redskin closets.

Psycho Ward 86
02-06-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm sorry you're going to have to put up with that shit. Living in Denver, nobody here really cares.

I have it even worse...I LIVE in wisconsin -.-'

Godfather
02-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Im sorry that i am not that upset.... probably because I dont hate the packers, and i respect them.

Yeah, it's not like the Pats* won.

We have two recent Lombardies, and that makes tonight easier to stomach. I just hope our window hasn't closed...we're going to have to rebuild before too long. Ziggy will be a great player for us but we still have to replace Big Snack, Troy, and Ike and that's not going to be easy.

stillers4me
02-06-2011, 10:32 PM
The good news??

Getting the 31st pick of the draft instead of the 32nd. :chuckle:

memphissteelergirl
02-06-2011, 10:35 PM

Yeah there were some Cowgirl fans in the bar talking s*** after the game too. I wanted to b-slap those heifers.

tube517
02-06-2011, 11:20 PM
At least some Third World country will think the Steelers won SB XLV :thumbsup:

venom
02-07-2011, 05:47 AM
We get the 31st pick instead of the 32nd pick, whew...grrrrrrrrr

HometownGal
02-07-2011, 06:32 AM

I want BA back because I feel he has done a good job overall - starting with Weeks 1-4 when we didn't have Ben. The man had to totally revamp his playbook several times to accommodate first Lefty, then Dixon and finally Batch. Had we not gone 3-1 in that span, we wouldn't have won our division much less played in the big game yesterday. I also felt he called a decent game yesterday and I'm sure Ben's 2 picks and Mendy's very costly fumble weren't included in that game plan. Those turnovers led to 21 points and without those turnovers, we win handily.

ALLD
02-07-2011, 07:01 AM
We had several opportunities to win the game even though we never had the lead.
1. Kicking a 52-yd FG was a mistake when we could have pinned them deep and possibly changed the momentum early. I yelled at the tv when Sushi went onto the field. He choked and that's why he is a journeyman.

2. Ben picked (no pun intended) the wrong day to have the worst game of his season.

3. Some play calling was good, but the offense did not establish control of the game even though the running game began to click.

4. Although Mendy's fumble literally brought us to down to the last chance with the last drive, we were still in it.

5. Ben had no magic last night and nobody on the offensive side made any splash plays. What happened to ARE to Ward option pass or any end around. They could not seal the edge and we could have run on them all night long. Ward was consistent as usual.

6. GB made the plays when they had to and had the advantage of a 14 point spot in the first quarter.

7. We got out coached because the offense was not disciplined and it seemed they came more with an "Us against the world" attitude rather than a solid game plan.

Texasteel
02-07-2011, 07:02 AM
I agree, I though BA did a very good job last night, and put together a game that could have ended in a win. I also think he did well the entire year. I couldn't blame him if he did retire, but I hope he doesn't

HometownGal
02-07-2011, 07:32 AM
I agree, I though BA did a very good job last night, and put together a game that could have ended in a win. I also think he did well the entire year. I couldn't blame him if he did retire, but I hope he doesn't

I think if he does retire, which I :pray: he doesn't - it will be because of health issues.

Kittyfish
02-07-2011, 07:37 AM
We had several opportunities to win the game even though we never had the lead.
1. Kicking a 52-yd FG was a mistake when we could have pinned them deep and possibly changed the momentum early. I yelled at the tv when Sushi went onto the field. He choked and that's why he is a journeyman.

2. Ben picked (no pun intended) the wrong day to have the worst game of his season.

3. Some play calling was good, but the offense did not establish control of the game even though the running game began to click.

4. Although Mendy's fumble literally brought us to down to the last chance with the last drive, we were still in it.

5. Ben had no magic last night and nobody on the offensive side made any splash plays. What happened to ARE to Ward option pass or any end around. They could not seal the edge and we could have run on them all night long. Ward was consistent as usual.

6. GB made the plays when they had to and had the advantage of a 14 point spot in the first quarter.

7. We got out coached because the offense was not disciplined and it seemed they came more with an "Us against the world" attitude rather than a solid game plan.
I think that pretty much sums it up.

I was worried yesterday afternoon because I wasn't much worried - I just couldn't see us losing, because we never do once we got to the SB. When you're 6 out of 7, with 2 wins in the last few years, it's easy to become overconfident and I think that's partly what happened. The silver lining might be, if we get into this position again, NOTHING will be taken for granted, by the team or the fans, and the team might be inspired to play that much harder. Nothing is a given and that was rather painfully brought home last night..

Pete The Greek
02-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Maybe this time the front office will get serious and get/draft cornerbacks who can play in man on man coverage. I had enough of teams of paying the chicken shit spread offense against the 3-4.

GitNoLuv
02-07-2011, 08:09 AM
What a great game between two very good franchises. Gratz to GB. I honestly got real tense when Mendenhall scored in the 2nd quarter to get the game to 21-10. GB offense wasn't doing much on non-turnover possessions...and I figured they didn't have many turnover-possessions left in the whole game. Mendenhall's fumble was (IMO) the decisive play. If that game is replayed 9 more times, Pitt wins at least 5 of the...too close to call.

stillers4me
02-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Although I feel Ariens had a much better season this year (after getting the boot up his butt about the run game), I wouldn't be terribly sad to see him go. Don't call me a "hater", I just feel sometimes change can be good. Everybody was worried when Cowher left but Mike Tomlin proved to be a breath of fresh air. We keep making the same mistakes over and over, regardless of whether it's coaching or execution. Looks what Kugs has done with a patchwork O-line. I don't think we would have made a superbowl appearance without the Kugler hire, considering all the injuries in that line this year.

Maybe a slight change in philosophy is what this offense needs.

Besides a couple of O lineman. :chuckle:

Bluecoat96
02-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Maybe this time the front office will get serious and get/draft cornerbacks who can play in man on man coverage. I had enough of teams of paying the chicken shit spread offense against the 3-4.

Cromartie? He'll be a free agent. Is he too much of a douche for us?

Bluecoat96
02-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Although I feel Ariens had a much better season this year (after getting the boot up his butt about the run game), I wouldn't be terribly sad to see him go. Don't call me a "hater", I just feel sometimes change can be good. Everybody was worried when Cowher left but Mike Tomlin proved to be a breath of fresh air. We keep making the same mistakes over and over, regardless of whether it's coaching or execution. Looks what Kugs has done with a patchwork O-line. I don't think we would have made a superbowl appearance without the Kugler hire, considering all the injuries in that line this year.

Kugler has done a great job. The O-line did a lot better than I expected last night. If they can stay healthy, and we are able to get Colon back, I like our chances next year. I do think we ran pretty well on a very good defense last night.

HometownGal
02-07-2011, 08:55 AM

I disagree. I think continuity works much better in the long run, especially if that continuity produces results, which BA's offense has. We didn't get 25 points against the Pack's D last night as a result of turnovers - our O put up those 25 points and most likely would have put up more had it not been for the 3 costly fubars - particularly one of them late in the game. With regard to the OL and ST's, we had 2 coaches who just weren't getting the job done and we brought in Coaches Kugler and Everest who worked miracles with their units this season. If BA's offense didn't produce positive results, I would tend to agree that a change is a good idea but that isn't the case.

Hater. :heh: ;)

Moose
02-07-2011, 08:58 AM
I,m pissed we lost to Green Bay, buy I'm not shocked. They didn't beat us....we beat ourselves. That's right, I know that's a saying that sounds like a sore loser, but it's the truth. I'll give them the FIRST TD as deserving.....but IF Ben doesn't throw INTERCEPTIONS and Mendy doesn't FUMBLE there definitely would have been a different ending.....with US ON TOP ! WE had the momentum going in both instances. This should have been our # 7 !!! And I hope Ben and Mendy think of that all the way to AUGUST !!! Turnovers and penalities are the difference between the winner of the game and the loser !!! GO STEELER's !!! cya next year !!! Now, with that said.....hopefully someone will think of getting some CB's in the draft and send McFadden and Gay packing !!!

zulater
02-07-2011, 09:34 AM

I agree with what you're saying here. I'm not blaming Arians for yesterday's loss, I'm not saying he did a bad job this year, but I think he's taken Ben as far down the road as he's capable of, and I've got a sneaky hunch that if we're ever going to see this offense develop a better rythm in the passing game we're going to need a new voice.

kittenfantastico76
02-07-2011, 11:03 AM
My first thought went to Hines - I thought Dude you won't go out like this - you'll be back for sure! And I will admit I was all ... EWWWW about us getting Pouncey [Gator Hater over here - sorry Gator fans] but he proved himself and I'm now totally on the Pouncey LoveFest Train - I hate that he had to sit out during the Bowl, what a great rookie year he's had. I'd gladly add his brother to the roster! Gator or not! Just don't expect me to like Tebow, ok?

Bluecoat96
02-07-2011, 11:16 AM
I can't stand HATERs acting like all of a sudden they are fans of anyone playing the Steelers, Fuck em. just flat tired of it. Pick your team stick to em route for em. Here in NC where they are either Dallas or Washington, or Steelers, it is just tooooo much with all the Green bay fans pouring out of the Cowboy/redskin closets.

I hear ya! Living in Ohio, I get a good bit of crap from people about being a Steelers fan. I think what really upsets me is the sheer amount of Browns fans who mentioned online last night about Big Ben being a rapist as soon as the loss was official. I just give up trying to reason with them. It's mind-boggling to me how people can show their true colors and say such unbelievably hurtful things without truly knowing real facts. I'm not a Ray Lewis fan nor am I a Vick fan, but I work to be a compassionate Christian man, and give people the benefit of the doubt. I do believe people always deserve a second chance. It's NOT my place to pass judement on anyone else, even though sometimes it's really difficult to do that.

Pete The Greek
02-08-2011, 08:22 AM
When the Steelers get back to the Superbowl (they will with Ben and Troy around), they can finally wear the black and gold if that opportunity presents itself instead of the whites.

steeldevil
02-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Has Hines officially said he will be back?

I'm sure he will be of course, just want to be positive ya know?

43Hitman
02-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Has Hines officially said he will be back?

I'm sure he will be of course, just want to be positive ya know?

yep, he's coming back. He said it after the game and again on his FB page.

Steeldude
02-08-2011, 10:48 AM
3) Arians has a better chance of getting fired?

i think it's going to be another year of arians' grab-bag offense.

The Duke
02-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Cromartie? He'll be a free agent. Is he too much of a douche for us?

Douche? I don't care

He's a pussy. That's why I would never want him here. Even if he would give us 5+ ints per season, the man just can't tackle. Or better yet, he's not willing to tackle. Even prefer BMac over him

HometownGal
02-08-2011, 03:43 PM
i think it's going to be another year of arians' grab-bag offense.

That grab-bag offense put up 25 points against a pretty damned good Packers D -even without Woodson. I'm sure his grab-bag didn't contain 2 picks and a fumble. :doh: