PDA

View Full Version : Who Gets Your Game Ball/Goat?

fansince'76
02-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Heartbreaking loss. I would give the goat to the whole team, personally.

Craic
02-06-2011, 09:08 PM
I give the goat to:

1. The pass defense AND just as equally,

2. Ben and Mendy for their turnovers.

Shoes
02-06-2011, 09:09 PM

I agree............

Steeldude
02-06-2011, 09:11 PM
goat goes to arians for a grab-bag offense and lebeau for a predictable defense.

just too many goats. the steelers deserved to lose this game. play like p***ies and this is the result.

Edman
02-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Ben and Mendy get goats for critical turnovers. Arians for a shitty offensive gameplan, Way to go back to the Bubble Screen offense THAT NEVER WORKS, douche. Lebeau for regressing back to the goddamn "sit-back" nickel defense against a WR core that leads the NFL in YAC, the same Defense that got us killed against New England. And the whole team for just not showing up.

You can't turn the ball over like that and expect to beat anybody. Anyway, the Steelers played like shit and deserved to lose. Turns out they were right, the Pack really are a better team. The Steelers were dissed all week, and they didn't earn their respect tonight. Way to play like Patsies on the big stage. This was treated like the Packers' coronation, and you played the Patsy.

The Duke
02-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Ben and mendenhall for turnovers

But still proud of every single one of them

X-Terminator
02-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Ben and Mendenhall. You CANNOT turn the ball over 3 times and expect to win, plain and simple.

fansince'76
02-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Ben and Mendenhall. You CANNOT turn the ball over 3 times and expect to win, plain and simple.

Mendy's was the real killer - we were down 4 and driving. Still proud of the team - we weren't expected to even make the playoffs this season.

BigNastyDefense
02-06-2011, 09:15 PM
The entire fucking football team.

Craic
02-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Mendy's was the real killer - we were down 4 and driving. Still proud of the team - we weren't expected to even make the playoffs this season.

Absolutely.

Steelsauce
02-06-2011, 09:16 PM
1st goat....Ben

2nd goat....pass defense

3rd goat....Mendenhall

Those are the three most responsible for the most disappointing Steeler loss in 15 years. Way to let your team and fans down.

zulater
02-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Hey give the Packers credit, I know many of you will want to blame Ben, but imo Ben was only responsible for the second interception. The first was more on the play call and Kemo, for blowing his block. You idiots that want to blame Ben for that pick consider that if he holds that ball it's a safety, if he throws it away it's a safety, his arm get hit as he was throwing and it was an interception. That's on Kemo for getting destroyed off the snap ,amd Arians for a risky play call.

Slanted August
I am surprised Woodley did not have more impact but maybe he was dropping back in coverage. Saw the TE stand him up which was shocking. Hell of a job by Legursky and the Oline considering who they went up against. They were well prepared and Ben had some time. Heck, Madison played no worse then any other DB out there.

BlastFurnace
Honestly, I can't give the goat to anyone today. The team fought and never gave up. Sometimes, you just don't win and that happened tonight.

It doesn't take away from the great season they had. Green Bay is no slouch. They played without starters too, just like the Steelers did.

They won. The Steelers didn't. Sometimes, it just works out that way.

steeldawg
turnovers by ben and mendy were killers, oh well cant wait for next year keeping my fingers crossed so we can draft some good db's.

Dino 6 Rings
02-06-2011, 09:19 PM

it took the team to get here...it took the entire team to lose it.

no one play was "the play" there were opportunities all over the field that we failed to take advantage of. I'm numb at this point...anger...gone...frustration...gone...just.. .numb...

I could break down the game...early penalties, that take us out of field position, early turnovers...lack of turnovers...its everywhere...entire team Fail.

No one person to blame, not Ben, Not Arians, Not Tomlin, Not Troy...but all of them, together...failed to get the job done.

JayC
02-06-2011, 09:19 PM
the goat is a mix of everyone, with majority to ben's first half ints and mendy's fumble. to me, the one that hurt most was mendenhall's fumble, and in the end we couldn't overcome it. roethlisbergers first half was bad but i still thought we could win it even with the bad picks but the fumble was the dagger. this sucks butt.

GBMelBlount
02-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Good season guys.

First penalty on the last drive was a killer and the play calling at the end put the nail in the coffin.

Burghfan58
02-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Goats-Ben, Mendy, Gay, Kemo. Game ball to Legursky.

BPS3akaWirels3
02-06-2011, 09:22 PM
I ain't giving NO goat ball away.. I am damn proud of these guys for getting as far as they did. If I lived in Pittsburgh I'd be at the airport cheering them on when they landed. Game ball goes to the Packers for scoring on 3 turnovers..

steeldawg
02-06-2011, 09:22 PM
gay and mcfadden getting shredded by jordi nelson all game long didnt help either.

86WARD
02-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Pass defense was horrendous. Offense turns the ball over 3 times...and the defense gives up 21 points off those turnovers.

The whole team gets it. I'm proud of them, but they shit the bed tonight. I might give Legursky and Randle El a pass...as he actually played well while he was in there...and not confused.

BPS3akaWirels3
02-06-2011, 09:23 PM
1st goat....Ben

2nd goat....pass defense

3rd goat....Mendenhall

Those are the three most responsible for the most disappointing Steeler loss in 15 years. Way to let your team and fans down.

Really??? I'll ignore this..

kmsteelerwr15
02-06-2011, 09:24 PM
The goat goes to everyone on the team! But I still love them and I am damn proud that they kept fighting

zulater
Absolutely.

Me too, the only one I'm disgusted with is 57. Fox should be cut before the plane lands in Pittsburgh.

steelpride12
Game ball goes to the entire team for all they have done all season long and the adversity they went through when Ben was suspended early in the season and with Troy's injury and losing Colon for the season and still getting this far, if we can keep this team together I won't be surprised to be back next year.

Craic
02-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Goat...

yeah, Ben and Mendy due deserve Goat status IMO. I understand the first INT. But the second was his fault. Mendy's fumble was his fault, and the pass defense couldn't stop anything again.

That doesn't mean I am not proud of them for overcoming everything they did this year, nor does it mean I am proud of them for bringing in 2 rookies and a sophomore receiver and making a run to the SB.

Pack deserves much much credit. But they are the ones who made Ben, Mendy, and the pass D. the goats.

fansince'76
02-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Game ball to Legursky.

Yes. Legursky played very well in Pouncey's stead.

steeldawg
02-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Me too, the only one I'm disgusted with is 57. Fox should be cut before the plane lands in Pittsburgh.

ya the penalty was dumb but honestly I dont think it cost us because on that last drive it looked like we never had run the hurry up before.

steelreserve
02-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Goat - Dick LeBeau, for going with that shitty half-assed nickel defense in the first half. We cannot win when we play that way. It's the one way I was worried we could lose the game, and we came right out and did it.

Other goat - Ben, for two bad interceptions and being totally ineffective in the first half.

Game ball - No one. You don't get a game ball for losing the Super Bowl. And I can't believe I'm typing this right now.

Doc
02-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Call me crazy, but after the first half, I'm dang proud of how these guys played the 2nd half. Had chances to win.

Let's be real....if GB doesn't have the dropsies....it's not close.

zulater
ya the penalty was dumb but honestly I dont think it cost us because on that last drive it looked like we never had run the hurry up before.

We most likely lose anyway, but 15 yards of field position when you're fighting the clock, you just can't give that up to be selfish like that.

86WARD
Some one get Nnamdi on the phone...lol...

Slanted August
02-06-2011, 09:28 PM

You know field position like that its HUGE given the one timeout. People may think I am being too emotional but Tomllin should send a message with Fox. He has been borderline with this sh!t all year.

The Duke
02-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Call me crazy, but after the first half, I'm dang proud of how these guys played the 2nd half. Had chances to win.

This

Im surprised they dropped so much. It was like 5 ball!

As impressive as the almost comeback was, it wouldn't have happened without those drops

X-Terminator
02-06-2011, 09:31 PM
You know what sucks about this loss the most? The Steelers may not get a chance for redemption next season, because there may not be a next season.

steeldawg
Some one get Nnamdi on the phone...lol...

I will pay the long distance charges.

Dino 6 Rings
look...you can't win if you are -3 in turnovers in the Super Bowl...its just fact...

to be +17 on the season and go -3 in the Biggest Game...that's just not good football.

The Duke
02-06-2011, 09:33 PM
You know what sucks about this loss the most? The Steelers may not get a chance for redemption next season, because there may not be a next season.

I'm just hoping no key players/coaches retire

Hines, Farrior said they would be back

LeBeau hasn't confirmed anything, but we all know he will. Arians? Think he wants another ring. Aaron? hmm after that injury....

And man, flozell! I wanted a win for him! Hopefully he comes back, even if as a backup

steeldawg
02-06-2011, 09:34 PM
look...you can't win if you are -3 in turnovers in the Super Bowl...its just fact...

to be +17 on the season and go -3 in the Biggest Game...that's just not good football.

Your right, but i still think we should get rid of gay and mcfadden.

Jaquila
02-06-2011, 09:35 PM
So disappointed !

What really pisses me off is that now, I gotta listen to a lot of smacktalk from idiots who doesnt know shit about football but only watches the SB and picks a team to cheer for, they dont even know any other player than Aaron Rodger from the Packers, this is what you gonna get living in Denmark ! Hell I wont even respond to those loser...

Oh Btw. my goat goes to Ben, Mendenhall and passdefence. However they all fought til the end and I will always cheer for them my entire life ! LETS GO STEELERS

Devilsdancefloor
02-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Goat - Ben ,mendy for TO & Kemo

Gameball - Legursky i dont think i remember ever hearing raji name

Also on a side note i think troy is still hurt he has been off his game since he got hurt and missed those games really. Or maybe it is just im so used to him being super man

Edman
02-06-2011, 09:36 PM
The Steelers REALLY need to look at Corner. Gay and Mcfadden just can't do it. Gay isn't even a good nickelback.

Delraich
02-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Goat goes to the offense as a whole.Three turnovers and bad play calling killed us.

Game ball goes to the defense. Say what you will but the facts are the packers score 31 points and 21 came off turn overs. Maybe the pass defense looks kinda bad but that will happen when the other team doesn't even try to run.

GBMelBlount
We most likely lose anyway, but 15 yards of field position when you're fighting the clock, you just can't give that up to be selfish like that.

I agree Zu. Some of the turnovers, etc. happen but I told my wife that penalty which I think cost more like 20 yards was the most detrimental play of the game.

steelreserve
Honestly, if LeBeau isn't back, at this point I wouldn't be upset. That sit-back defense he has costs us games when we can't afford it. The halfway-nickel cannot stop the run, cannot pressure the QB, and cannot cover the receivers. It cost us the Patriots game, it almost cost us the Jets game, and it cost us the Super Bowl. He uses it at the worst times. Basically ... peace to that guy if that's his plan.

GoSlash27
02-06-2011, 09:41 PM
My game ball goes to Hines Ward. Absolutely clutch play. And the biggest screwup has to go to Big Ben. 2 picks is too much, but I feel he did enough to redeem himself. We almost had 'em

Psycho Ward 86
02-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Ben for the game goat. With the pass defense a close second.

steelerdude15
02-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Ben and Mendy for the turnovers like everyone else is saying. They still had a great year even after everything we've been through this past year.

86WARD
02-06-2011, 09:45 PM

I'll drive the motherfucker to Pittsburgh and pay for the gas.

Psycho Ward 86
02-06-2011, 09:52 PM

I'll pay the $15mill....somehow!

fansince'76
02-06-2011, 09:54 PM

Good point - they dropped a couple that would have went for huge gains.

Steelsauce
02-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Still sucks to be on the losing end of probably one of the most watched sporting events in history. The world just saw a terrible Steeler performance.

Sucks they had to blow it on the big stage.

NCSteeler
02-06-2011, 10:00 PM
You can say all you want about the O and turnovers, but he Defense made NO impact at all in this game. Name one play where they had excited, one play that would make any kind of highlight show. NOT ONE. Hell I called Troy's blitz, he saw Rodgers motioned the back to that side, hell drop into coverage, noo just go ahead and blitz anyhow when they know it's coming and have a man assigned to you, WTF. I hate to say it about a rookie, but we did miss sanders in this game. He could have made a difference late. Pouncey could have made a difference too.

Anyhow

D is the Goat, with Ben a close second
Hines is the game ball with the Big Legursky/Ben second

NCSteeler
02-06-2011, 10:06 PM
gay and mcfadden getting shredded by jordi nelson all game long didnt help either.

^^^^^this must be fixed this coming season, we have been trying to hide a bad number two CB and a Terrible number 3 for a few seasons, time to fix it.

NCSteeler
02-06-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm just hoping no key players/coaches retire

Hines, Farrior said they would be back

LeBeau hasn't confirmed anything, but we all know he will. Arians? Think he wants another ring. Aaron? hmm after that injury....

And man, flozell! I wanted a win for him! Hopefully he comes back, even if as a backup

Love to give Flozell a another chance, but we have got to fix the secondary and add another young all pro lineman to make it happen.

Dino 6 Rings
02-06-2011, 10:12 PM
we needed just one big play turnover by the defense to really take the game away...and it never happened...we lived by it all year...and had it in XLIII but this year...nothing...zilch...nada...

seriously...that sucked...one big turnover would have been enough...even with the 3 on our O...but we go -3...not good.

X-Terminator
02-06-2011, 10:12 PM
I hate to say it about a rookie, but we did miss sanders in this game. He could have made a difference late. Pouncey could have made a difference too.

I was thinking the same thing tonight. Losing Sanders I think really hurt the offense. Rookie or not, he had some big catches this season and could have hurt the Packers' secondary, especially with Woodson out. Also, where was Heath tonight? I don't think he had more than one or 2 catches.

NCSteeler
02-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Good point - they dropped a couple that would have went for huge gains.

No doubt at least two of the dropped passes could have been easy TDs. I think Troy is hurting worse than they let on, he just hasn't been himself the last 6 weeks and the #2 and #3 CBs really need replaced. Any idea if Lewis and Butler will make a move next season? Or do we need to draft one ?

Edman
02-06-2011, 10:14 PM
If Lebeau went for retirement, I'd have to say I won't entirely miss him too much.

This is the second SB in a row where his great defensive schemes were exposed and shredded. The Cards put up over 400 yards of offense, and now McCarthy and Rodgers make him look like a fool. It almost cost us the last game (Giving up a 20-7 lead, no less) and it flat out cost us this one.

I'm quite frankly wearing thin of his sit back nickel scheme. It never worked. It's what killed us in the New England game. You tightened up the coverage to get the Steelers here to begin with.

zulater
02-06-2011, 10:15 PM
I was thinking the same thing tonight. Losing Sanders I think really hurt the offense. Rookie or not, he had some big catches this season and could have hurt the Packers' secondary, especially with Woodson out. Also, where was Heath tonight? I don't think he had more than one or 2 catches.

We lost Sanders, they lost Woodson, I'll take that exchange any day. Don't use injuries as an excuse. the game was there to be had, but we made too ,many mistakes to win.

NCSteeler
02-06-2011, 10:15 PM

I counted two , they really planned against him or we didn't plan to tackle advantage of him. Packers have been soft on the run and TEs. Seems we could have dome better in that area.

Carolina Steelers
02-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Goat - Ben ,mendy for TO & Kemo

Gameball - Legursky i dont think i remember ever hearing raji name

Also on a side note i think troy is still hurt he has been off his game since he got hurt and missed those games really. Or maybe it is just im so used to him being super man

I agree it seems like in all 3 post season games Troy was quiet no splash plays. Just didnt seem right

zulater
02-06-2011, 10:16 PM
If Lebeau went for retirement, I'd have to say I won't entirely miss him too much.

This is the second SB in a row where his great defensive schemes were exposed and shredded. The Cards put up over 400 yards of offense, and now McCarthy and Rodgers make him look like a fool. It almost cost us the last game (Giving up a 20-7 lead, no less) and it flat out cost us this one.

I'm quite frankly wearing thin of his sit back nickel scheme. It never worked. It's what killed us in the New England game. You tightened up the coverage to get the Steelers here to begin with.

I guess every defensive coordinater in the league sucks then, because in a dome stadium you just aren't going to shuit Rodgers down.

NCSteeler
02-06-2011, 10:17 PM

I think quality of his corners have something to do with it. Even when he brought the blitz., woodley and troy were both EASILY picked up.

Dino 6 Rings
02-06-2011, 10:18 PM
sigh

total first downs
Steelers = 19
Packers = 15

3rd down effiency
Steelers 53%
Packers 46%

Rushing yards
Steelers 126
Packers 50

Passing yards
Packers 288
Steelers 261

Punts
Steelers 3
Packers 6

Penalties
Steelers 6-55
Packers 7-67

Time of Possession
Steelers 33:25
Packers 26:35

how did we lose this game?

Turnovers
Steelers 3
Packers 0

Oh...right...

NCSteeler
02-06-2011, 10:19 PM
We lost Sanders, they lost Woodson, I'll take that exchange any day. Don't use injuries as an excuse. the game was there to be had, but we made too ,many mistakes to win.

No excuses, Steelers aren't excuse makers, just thought the kid could have made a difference late in the game. I definitely noticed Wallace getting more looks once Woodson was out.

Merchant
02-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Goat goes to.. Arians. I am by no means an Arians hater; I've actually supported the guy all season, but he did not call a good game. How many bubble screens to Wallace were called? 8? How many times on 3rd and short was a 15+ yard pass dialed up? Why was a deep bomb to Wallace called when Ben was standing in the shadow of the goal-posts that got returned for 6?

2nd Goat is Keyaron Fox.. I absolutely lost it when he got that 15 yard penalty before the game's final drive. There's a huge difference between driving 74 yards and driving 89 yards. How STUPID do you have to be to pull something as idiotic as that with the game on the line? I am extra pissed because he did the EXACT same thing in the Buffalo game that allowed them to have a short drive for the game-tieing field goal. And this is supposed to be the Special Team's Captain folks.

Nobody stood out to me enough to give out a game ball. If anything I thought Legursky did an excellent job of filling in for Pouncey. Everyone was hyping up the match-up between him and Raji and the guy held his ground nicely.

Although I'm so angry I can't even see straight right now, I will say that it's been a good ride. With all the adversity we faced early on I never expected to make it this far.

The Steelers will be back.

Godfather
02-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Game ball to Hines.

I can't give a game goat to Mendy--he was the only one who showed up in the first quarter and made a lot of good plays, and the fumble was an awesome play by Matthews. The loss was a team effort. The defense never came through when it counted. Both turnovers resulted in TDs (the third was a pick six so it wasn't on the D). Even that last drive, when they held the Pack to a field goal, they still let them burn a lot of time, and the drive forced us to play for a field goal. Then there were the two negative plays before the FG attempt, which pushed the ball back out of Suisham's range. Ben made some terrible throws. The underthrow to Ward on that last drive, missing an open Wallace on what should have been a touchdown, putting the ball too high on the last play, etc.

Bottom line is the Packers made the plays when it counted and we didn't.

Edman
02-06-2011, 10:24 PM
I guess every defensive coordinater in the league sucks then, because in a dome stadium you just aren't going to shuit Rodgers down.

No, you're not going to stop Rodgers, but the Steelers slowed him down. After closing the score to 21-17, Rodgers all of the sudden couldn't do anything. It wasn't until the Mendy fumble that the Packers O came back to life and finished us off.

Godfather
I think quality of his corners have something to do with it. Even when he brought the blitz., woodley and troy were both EASILY picked up.

In fairness to LeBeau, the Packers run basically the same defense so they know it like the back of their hand. With coaching neutralized the game came down to execution.

Borski
Goat - Gay

tube517
I've come to think of the zone blitz as an all or nothing defense. You win or lose with it. GB's OL picked up the blitz and they planned very well for quick passes to counter the Steelers pass rush. If you can't get pressure and TO's with the zone blitz, you lose. GB's defense didn't exactly shut Ben down but they made enough plays to get TO's. LeBeau's schemes got us back in the Ravens games (twice) and the defense scored enough to win the AFCC game. I'm resigned to the fact that they have to play average CB's because they put all their money in the NT, DL, and LB's and of course, Troy.

fansince'76
02-06-2011, 10:26 PM

Especially when you give him a short field on turnovers. I can't completely fault the defense either - it was a complete team loss.

Dino 6 Rings
02-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Especially when you give him a short field on turnovers. I can't completely fault the defense either - it was a complete team loss.

yes...complete team loss.

SteelerFanInStl
02-06-2011, 10:32 PM

I agree. Pretty much says it all. I can't give the defense a pass though. They didn't make the stops when needed and didn't make any big plays like Green Bay did.

steelreserve
02-06-2011, 10:32 PM

What the fuck does a dome have to do with it? Or Rodgers, for that matter? He's a pretty good QB, but really nothing special.

Bottom line, is we played a defense in the first half that hands you the game if you have even an above-average QB. This sit-back bullshit where you don't pressure and don't stop the run and don't cover either (because your 3rd and 4th cover guys are inadequate) does not work for us. I have no idea why we'd even entertain the idea of playing it, except that we bought the Rodgers-is-God hype and played right into his hands. This is LeBeau's weak spot, they gambled that they'd hit on it right out of the box, and they were right on the money.

Psycho Ward 86
02-06-2011, 10:33 PM
We lost Sanders for the 2nd half, the Packers lost Woodson, Driver, and Shields for the most part. We have no excuse in the injury department.

SteelerFanInStl
02-06-2011, 10:34 PM
No, you're not going to stop Rodgers, but the Steelers slowed him down. After closing the score to 21-17, Rodgers all of the sudden couldn't do anything. It wasn't until the Mendy fumble that the Packers O came back to life and finished us off.

Yep. Rodgers was rattled and their receivers were dropping passes. All of the momentum was on our side and we had great field position. Then Mendy fumbled. That one play killed us more than anything else.

zulater
02-06-2011, 10:40 PM
What the fuck does a dome have to do with it? Or Rodgers, for that matter? He's a pretty good QB, but really nothing special.

Bottom line, is we played a defense in the first half that hands you the game if you have even an above-average QB. This sit-back bullshit where you don't pressure and don't stop the run and don't cover either (because your 3rd and 4th cover guys are inadequate) does not work for us. I have no idea why we'd even entertain the idea of playing it, except that we bought the Rodgers-is-God hype and played right into his hands. This is LeBeau's weak spot, they gambled that they'd hit on it right out of the box, and they were right on the money.

Rodgers made plays when he had too. The Steelers blitzers were often picked up. He gets rid of the ball like nobody's business.

Merchant
02-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I love how after every loss Lebeau gets criticized for his style. Even though we had the #1 scoring defense, #2 overall defense, #1 rush defense, and were #1 in sacks. 31 points were allowed yes, but 21 points off three turnovers. Turnovers is what lost us the game - NOT Lebeau.

And sometimes you just gotta give credit where credit is due.. Rodgers made some spectacular passes. On a number of throws the defender was in excellent position and missed batting the ball down by INCHES. You cannot defend a perfect pass. I will repeat. You cannot defend a perfect pass.

zulater
02-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Yep. Rodgers was rattled and their receivers were dropping passes. All of the momentum was on our side and we had great field position. Then Mendy fumbled. That one play killed us more than anything else.

Actually I still think Keyaron Fox's penalty was the real death blow. That 20 yards of field position he cost us, when you're facing an expiring clock was huge. Give us those 20 yards and Ben is probably playing for the first rather than trying to take the ball downfield like he did.

memphissteelergirl
02-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Before I give my goat award, let me preface it by saying this...

I LOVE MY STEELERS! We made it all the way to the SB and no one gave us a chance to even make the playoffs this year. We went 3-1 while Ben served his suspension. I am a proud fan of this franchise and always will be.

That said, our secondary IMHO gets the goat award. You cannot give the Packers' receivers that kind of room to work and expect to win. That is going to have to get addressed this off-season.

We'll be back, y'all.

SteelerFanInStl
02-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Actually I still think Keyaron Fox's penalty was the real death blow. That 20 yards of field position he cost us, when you're facing an expiring clock was huge. Give us those 20 yards and Ben is probably playing for the first rather than trying to take the ball downfield like he did.

No doubt that penalty was big and it probably pissed me off more than anything because it was just plain stupid. It didn't cost us 20 yards though, more like 13 since it was half the distance to the goal line and we started at the 13. It certainly put us in a bigger hole than we should've been in though.

zulater
02-06-2011, 11:06 PM
No doubt that penalty was big and it probably pissed me off more than anything because it was just plain stupid. It didn't cost us 20 yards though, more like 13 since it was half the distance to the goal line and we started at the 13. It certainly put us in a bigger hole than we should've been in though.

Still the 26 is a helluva lot better than the 13, and mistakes that happen in the course of normal play are understandable, doing selfish self aggrandizing bullshit right in front of a ref is inexcusable. Even if it didn't cost us the game it wouldn't bother me if it cost Keyaron his job.

steelreserve
02-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Fox's penalty was a footnote in this game. We were in basically the same situation anyway. For what it's worth, we were in EXACTLY the same situation as we were in the last Super Bowl. Fox is good enough as a backup LB and a special teams player that I'd still rather have him around despite the penalty. There are others who gave a far worse accounting of themselves today.

pepsyman1
02-06-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm not gonna give out goats....We won as a team all year, we lose as one as well. Having said that, the pass defense was very disappointing. Ike can hold his own (although the 31 yard pass play to Jennings was the same play that Fitzgerald shredded us on in number XVLIII), but Gay and McFadden were continually beaten. The coverage scheme in general was much more passive than we saw against the Ravens. The Packers had two secondary starters leave the game and we still had trouble getting our receivers open while their receivers were frequently WIDE open. If the Packers receivers hadn't dropped as many as they did it would not have been close. And obviously, 3 turnovers in a game and not creating our own pretty much dooms you in the Superbowl. Mendi's fumble hurt, but the tackler put a helmet directly on the ball at speed and Mendi really played effectively all game. Ben wasn't particularly accurate today....he was high on a number of throws. Tough game overall, we didn't play our best but much of that was Green Bay executing better than we did. On the plus side, Randel El came in and made the most of the opportunity. Legursky played like a seasoned vet at center. We had chances...just couldn't get it done.

JayC
02-06-2011, 11:21 PM
hopefully this offseason is bye bye william gay. there must be someone out there in our price range that's better than him. i mean, if he was a backup he would be servicable (barely) but i'm sick of this guy getting so much playing time. mcfadden as well for what it's worth. we need some other decent cbs aside from ike

Steel12
02-06-2011, 11:41 PM
WILLIAM FUCKING GAY! Still horrible..he really needs to pay Deion Sanders to come work with him if he plans to be in the NFL in the future!

Galax Steeler
02-07-2011, 03:18 AM

I think this covers it for me as well.

wvsportsman
02-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Honestly, I can't give the goat to anyone today. The team fought and never gave up. Sometimes, you just don't win and that happened tonight.

It doesn't take away from the great season they had. Green Bay is no slouch. They played without starters too, just like the Steelers did.

They won. The Steelers didn't. Sometimes, it just works out that way.

^ This!

Craic
02-07-2011, 05:34 AM
the turf n Jerry land.

venom
02-07-2011, 05:41 AM
Goat ? I dont know where to start .

HometownGal
02-07-2011, 06:22 AM

While I agree that the Mendy fumble took the wind out of our sails as we were driving for a score, basically the entire team had a hand in our demise. Hell - even Sushi gets a kick in the ass from me. Yes - it was a 50+ attempt but he was kicking indoors in a dome. That 3 points would have been HUGE.

I'm not giving out game balls, per se, but I will give props to a couple of guys who I felt stepped up and gave it their all.

Doug Legursky
Hines
Randle El

I'm disappointed that we didn't bring home #7, but I'm not upset. I never expected the Steelers to even be in the Super Bowl equation this year with all of the adversities and injuries to key players they had to deal with throughout the season. I'm proud of my Steelers and can't wait until next season gets here (if it does)! :tt02:

steeldawg
02-07-2011, 06:41 AM

I think the problem is that teams know we are going to blitz and so they max protect, so it takes alittle longer to get to the qb and we just dont have the corners to be able to cover man to man.

Austin87
02-07-2011, 06:52 AM
Props to the O-line for playing way better than I expected.

Goat goes to Big Ben, Gay and McFadden and that damned turf.

I actually just want to congratulate the whole team for reaching the Super Bowl. The Steelers playing in the Super Bowl didn't even cross my mind in the beginning of the season. Good job guys!

Texasteel
02-07-2011, 06:53 AM
This may sound corny but I'll give the ball to the entire team for a very hard fought year. They never quit on us, not even it this game, and to be honest even in a very difficult year that some of us gave up before it started, they didn't. Thanks guys, your a hell of a team, and I can't wait till next year.

Goats? I am still tired, and a little drained, and could point to several plays that contributed to the loss, but I have no goats. Not anyone that plays on this team anyway.

steel striker
02-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Bottom line is we lost and, it was the turnovers that they took advantage of. You can't of three turnovers and, expect to win. Having said that we had things going our til the fumble by Mendy. Not Ben's best game but, we still a chance can't expect Ben to pull every close big game out. Credit the packers they played better than we did last night.

Moose
02-07-2011, 09:30 AM
My choice : GAME BALL to WARD. No question about it. He made the big plays that kept us going on needed drives.
GAME GOAT to Mendy. Again, no question about it. His fumble ended the drive that I feel we would have eventually got 7 pts. on.

VTsteel
02-07-2011, 10:29 AM
No Goat . . . Damned proud to have been in the big show.

Here's what we need to shore up in the draft or FA if we are to win it next year (and it's no surprise because we've said it all along):

Corner play is substandard if the other team pick's up our blitzes. The Pack did a GREAT job blocking and that gave Rodgers time to expose our weak secondary. Need to shore up the Gay/ McFadden side.

O-Line was pushed around. if our O-Line played like the Pack's did . . . I GUARANTEE we would've won. But, we didn't and we didn't. I really don't want to take anything away from the O-Line at the same time because they were largely 2nd stringers and fill-ins. I am actually pretty pleased with how they came together and got to the dance. That being said if we can get a Blue Chip LT, switch Starks back to RT, Put Colon and Kemo at guard and Pouncey as the center piece - That would be GREAT. Of course injuries are hard to predict . . . But getting that STUD LT is key!

Stlrs4Life
02-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Goat:

1st to Ben
2nd to Mendy
3rd to Troy and CBs

SteelerFanInStl
02-07-2011, 10:37 AM
O-Line was pushed around. if our O-Line played like the Pack's did . . . I GUARANTEE we would've won. But, we didn't and we didn't.

I'll have to disagree with you there. I think that the OL played well. Kemo got run over on the first pick but beside that play, they did a good job of giving Ben time to throw and opening holes for the running game. We had more offensive yardage than Green Bay did. The difference was that they didn't turn the ball over.

VTsteel
02-07-2011, 10:43 AM
I'll have to disagree with you there. I think that the OL played well. Kemo got run over on the first pick but beside that play, they did a good job of giving Ben time to throw and opening holes for the running game. We had more offensive yardage than Green Bay did. The difference was that they didn't turn the ball over.

That's fine.

What I saw was Ben had no time . . . got jumpy, made many bad throws as a result, had his arm hit when Kemo was bulldozed. On the other side, I saw the Pack give Rodgers more time, did a great job picking up our blitzes and as a result Rodgers had time to expose our weak secondary.

steelreserve
02-07-2011, 11:14 AM
I think the problem is that teams know we are going to blitz and so they max protect, so it takes alittle longer to get to the qb and we just dont have the corners to be able to cover man to man.

I don't know ... it seems more to me like lately when we face a good QB, we don't blitz very much, we don't disguise our scheme, and the jumpy/shifty aggression we usually show around the line of scrimmage goes poof. I can't count how many times last night that it looked like we lined up with four guys in the box, maybe five. It's like we say to the offense, "OK, here are the four guys who are going to rush, and here are the other matchups all laid out plain as day, so pick whichever one you like best." It's plain vanilla defense, and we suck at it.

Some teams are based around tight coverage, and we're not one of them. I have no idea why we try to play that way. I'd rather see us live by the sword and die by the sword, than live by the sword and die by setting down your sword and stabbing yourself in the foot.

Steeldude
02-08-2011, 03:49 AM

it doesn't help when the pass rush is predictable and the DBs are too far off the WRs. gay and mcfadden are backup CBs at best, but the middle of the field being open has been a huge flaw in lebeau's defense for many, many years.

NCSteeler
02-08-2011, 04:14 AM
No Goat . . . Damned proud to have been in the big show.

Here's what we need to shore up in the draft or FA if we are to win it next year (and it's no surprise because we've said it all along):

Corner play is substandard if the other team pick's up our blitzes. The Pack did a GREAT job blocking and that gave Rodgers time to expose our weak secondary. Need to shore up the Gay/ McFadden side.

O-Line was pushed around. if our O-Line played like the Pack's did . . . I GUARANTEE we would've won. But, we didn't and we didn't. I really don't want to take anything away from the O-Line at the same time because they were largely 2nd stringers and fill-ins. I am actually pretty pleased with how they came together and got to the dance. That being said if we can get a Blue Chip LT, switch Starks back to RT, Put Colon and Kemo at guard and Pouncey as the center piece - That would be GREAT. Of course injuries are hard to predict . . . But getting that STUD LT is key!

Are sure because all i heard about during the game is how GB was the injured ones playing with backups?