PDA

View Full Version : Pre-combine

Texasteel
02-06-2011, 10:18 AM
OK guys, I was going to post this tomorrow, but I'm about to go nuts here, and I need to keep busy.

Each year I like to start a pre-combine mock. We throw a lot of names around, in this one I would like to see your most serious mock, and your whys. Yes, I do use this very much during the combines and pro days. I often respect your opinion more that the guys on TV.

Round 1
Mike Pouncey / OG , Florida
6'4", 310lb, 5.29

I think that OG is our biggest need. The interior of the line has been pathetic for a couple years now. We made a big move last year in this area and I think we all could see a huge improvement. We need to continue this trend this year. Mike IMO is the best OG in this years draft. I think you need to take a good look at last year to see how good he is, as he was, IMO, playing out of position this year. Mike is a very versatile player that has played different positions for Florida. He started his career as a true freshman played DT and actually started in the last four game. Even had 1 int. When he line up beside his brother, the Florida line became very active. Mike has the athetic ability and agility to play LG, with an extremely quick first step that could make him one of the best pulling guards in the game. I truly think this would be the best possible pick for Pittsburgh, but am not for sure and certain that he will be there.

One add advantage that may or may not be true. Mike and Maurkice have never been separated, and they like it that way. Maurkice refuse to commit to Florida till Mike was offered a scholarship. Would this make keeping our line together a little easier to do, maybe. Mike will be at the combine.

I'll get you rounds 2 and 3 in the next couple of days.

Texasteel
02-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Round 1
Mike Pouncey / OG , Florida.
6'4", 310lb, 5.29

Round 2
Curtis Brown / CB, Texas
5'11", 180lb, 4.42

I feel CB is our 2nd biggest need. Curtis should be long gone before he gets here, but the influx of the top 3 CB in next years class pushes him to us. In other words, we get lucky. Curtis is a physical play, something you need to play for the Steelers, plus he has tremendous closing speed, something the Steelers need. Curtis has great speed and has show good hands. He has been amount the teams top tackles, alone with a ton of pass break ups. I have seen Curtis lay back off the WR coxing the QB into making the throw, then use his closing speed to make up the distance and break up the play, this could may get him into a little trouble in the NFL at first, but I think he will quickly learn who he can and can not do that with. This would also let us use Gay as a nickle back only, a position he has played very well in the past.

Round 3
Jarvis Jenkins / DT, Clemson
6"4", 310lb, 4.90
Jarvis has the size and speed the Steelers like on the DL. He has had 51 TT, 9 TFL, and 16 QB pressures. Jarvis is very active on the line of scrimmage on a team that is know as run stoppers. He can also cause match up problems in pass protection that could give the LB an open lane to the QB. Sounds like a Steeler DE to me. Smith seems to be getting hurt every year, and Keasel is not getting younger either. Hood and Jenkins could set us up for a long time.

Round 4
Kevin Sheppard / ILB, LSU
6'6", 250lb, 4.64
As I have said before, LB is the life's blood of our defense. One of the blood cells has got some years on him. Kevin IMO is the best player on a pretty good defense. His own coach has called him the teams leader. He is bright and I think will pickup our defense quickly. Kevin is a sure tackler with 116 for the year, and 11 TFL, and 4 sack to his total and his stats looks like a Steeler LBer. I don't think Kevin would have to start next year, but he will have to play, and I think he will be ready.

I'll complete my draft later tonight or tomorrow.

steelerdude15
02-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I haven't started looking at individual players yet, but I will soon. Thanks for your incite!

Texasteel
02-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Round 1
Mike Pouncey / OG, Florida
6'4", 310lb, 5.29

Round 2
Curtis Brown / CB, Texas
5'11", 180lb, 4.42

Round 3
Javis Jenkins / DT, Clemson
6'4", 310, 4.90

Round 4
Kevin Sheppard / ILB, LSU
6'6", 250lb, 4.64

Round 5
Lee Smith / TE, Marshall
6'6", 269lb, 4.79
Those that like Lee like his blocking ability, but he did catch 38 balls for 358 yards, and 3 TD

Round 6
Will Smith / OT, East Carolina
6'5", 305lb, 5.25
Very raw but talented non the less. Has the tools to be a LT for us but needs work. Needs to build himself up some and increase upper body. Would love to see that our OL coach could do with this kid. Likely a year or two away for being productive.

Round 7
Tejay Johnson / FS, TCU
6'0", 212, 4.56
Has started for 3 years on a team that leads the nation it defense.

All these players except for Tejay have been invited to the combine.

Chidi29
02-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Good stuff Tex. Heard some good things about Willie Smith. Was apparently one of the better tackle prospects coming into the year. Stock dropped but the 6th is good value. Wes Bunting likes him.

Texasteel
02-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks Chidi. I think Smith could be a LT do in yourself kit for Kugler. After the job the coach did this year I would love to see what he could do with the kid.

I'm really anxious to see yours bud, if you have one put together. Your first one look real good to me and I can go with that one if you haven't changed it.

By the way. Have watched Caleb Schlauderaff, OG out of Utah. I didn't think the kid was to bad and we might be able to pick as an UDFA. He will be at the combine.

Texasteel
02-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Possible UDFA. All these will be attending the combines. The bad thing about these kids is that if they do well the chances of getting them as a UDFA gos down. We want them to do well, but not to well.

Caleb Schlauderaff / OG, Utah
6"4", 310lb, 5.18
Caleb is a powerful blocker. Last year he lead the team with 21 Pancake Blocks. That is when someone is laying on his back wondering what happened. IMO is better at driving the defender off the line, but can pass block and can learn to be better. He is an extremely intelligent kid, he was on the Deans List last year, and could pick our blocking scheme quickly. Was elected as an APs 3rd team. I know he has be interviewed by the Colts already.

Lester Jean / WR, Florida Atlantic
6'3", 212lb. 4.50
When he was invited to the Shrine game he said he was playing to represent Florida Atlantic. Lester had 64 catches for 988 yards. Had a good week and the Shrine game. One thing you will always get from this kid is total effort, works his ass off.

Jerrod Johnson / QB, Texas A&M
6'5", 250lb, 4.76
One of our back ups is getting old, and one is still not signed. Jerrod hold 24 A&M records including total yards (8,888), and passing yards (8,011). He also hold 2 Big 12 records including pass attempts without an INT. (225). I personally think that A&M has a habit of turning out overrated QBs, but Jerrod may need a 2nd look.

Cheta Ozougwu / DE, Rice
6'2", 252, 4.73
OK, OK, I have never seen this one play, but his name kinda grabbed me so I started researching him. Sounds like a kid that is coachable, and being from Rice he has to be fairly smart. Cheta had 54TT, 3FF, 3 sacks, and 11 hurries. He really had 5 sack but lost credit for them because he striped the ball on the play. Can he convert to OLB for us? He could be fun to watch anyway.

Chidi29
02-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks Chidi. I think Smith could be a LT do in yourself kit for Kugler. After the job the coach did this year I would love to see what he could do with the kid.

I'm really anxious to see yours bud, if you have one put together. Your first one look real good to me and I can go with that one if you haven't changed it.

By the way. Have watched Caleb Schlauderaff, OG out of Utah. I didn't think the kid was to bad and we might be able to pick as an UDFA. He will be at the combine.

I haven't done another mock yet. Been reviewing the Super Bowl and working on scouting reports at OT. I'm not sure how much mine would change. I don't think there were any players on my list that did anything to really hurt themselves.

Haven't watched Schlauderaff. Heard a little about him but never watched him play. Think I'm about done watching new prospects; my list is pretty full right now. I'll keep my eye out for his name.

Chidi29
02-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Possible UDFA. All these will be attending the combines. The bad thing about these kids is that if they do well the chances of getting them as a UDFA gos down. We want them to do well, but not to well.

Caleb Schlauderaff / OG, Utah
6"4", 310lb, 5.18
Caleb is a powerful blocker. Last year he lead the team with 21 Pancake Blocks. That is when someone is laying on his back wondering what happened. IMO is better at driving the defender off the line, but can pass block and can learn to be better. He is an extremely intelligent kid, he was on the Deans List last year, and could pick our blocking scheme quickly. Was elected as an APs 3rd team. I know he has be interviewed by the Colts already.

Lester Jean / WR, Florida Atlantic
6'3", 212lb. 4.50
When he was invited to the Shrine game he said he was playing to represent Florida Atlantic. Lester had 64 catches for 988 yards. Had a good week and the Shrine game. One thing you will always get from this kid is total effort, works his ass off.

Jerrod Johnson / QB, Texas A&M
6'5", 250lb, 4.76
One of our back ups is getting old, and one is still not signed. Jerrod hold 24 A&M records including total yards (8,888), and passing yards (8,011). He also hold 2 Big 12 records including pass attempts without an INT. (225). I personally think that A&M has a habit of turning out overrated QBs, but Jerrod may need a 2nd look.

Cheta Ozougwu / DE, Rice
6'2", 252, 4.73
OK, OK, I have never seen this one play, but his name kinda grabbed me so I started researching him. Sounds like a kid that is coachable, and being from Rice he has to be fairly smart. Cheta had 54TT, 3FF, 3 sacks, and 11 hurries. He really had 5 sack but lost credit for them because he striped the ball on the play. Can he convert to OLB for us? He could be fun to watch anyway.

Funny that you brought up Jean. I almost put his name on my mock in the later rounds. Good call Tex.

Not a fan of Johnson. I know it's just a UDFA but I don't see any qualities in him other than size that he's shown consistently enough to warrant joining the team. He might have to make a position switch, the last thing you want to hear about a CB. He got playing time at WR early in his career.

Devilsdancefloor
02-09-2011, 02:48 PM
1A - Brandon Harris CB Miami (kinda reminds me of Ike like him a lot at this point)
1B - Stefen Wisniewski C/G PSU
1C - Mike Pouncy - C/G Flordia
anyone of these 3 guys make our #1 pick i wouldnt be upset at all

so far in the 2nd i am dreaming a bit and we go OL again maybe

2 - Jason Pinkston OT Pitt

i will do some more research later this week and weekend and post some more

steeldevil
02-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Get a great CB, OL, or DL in the 1st and I will be happy. Then probably go best available from then on.

Getting Mike Pouncy would be pretty awesome haha

Texasteel
02-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Funny that you brought up Jean. I almost put his name on my mock in the later rounds. Good call Tex.

Not a fan of Johnson. I know it's just a UDFA but I don't see any qualities in him other than size that he's shown consistently enough to warrant joining the team. He might have to make a position switch, the last thing you want to hear about a CB. He got playing time at WR early in his career.

Jean is a very draftable player and I think he would fit in here very well, We just might have to hide him for a year.

To be honest Chili, I ain't in love with Johnson either. Hopefully we'll sign Dixon and not even look at a QB. I think we will.

Texasteel
02-10-2011, 10:14 AM
If any of you don't know the kid Chidi and I are talking about.

Lester Jean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hFJJLsRzrSE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mihM5auuXx0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uS7gDaBRjwg

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mihM5auuXx0)