PDA

View Full Version : Ron Cook: Big Ben will repay his biggest debt

stillers4me
02-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Teammates stood behind quarterback during his trying year

The other Steelers had Ben Roethlisberger's back as long ago as that disgusting March night in Milledgeville, Ga., despite assertions to the contrary that you might have heard this week from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. They had his back when Dennis Dixon and mostly Charlie Batch led the team to a 3-1 start during his four-game NFL suspension. They had his back here, deep in the heart of Texas, all week during the hysterical run-up to Super Bowl XLV.

Tonight, Roethlisberger will return the favor. Tonight, he will say thank you to his teammates in the best possible way. Tonight, he will lead the Steelers past the Green Bay Packers for their third Super Bowl title in the past six seasons and their record seventh in franchise history.

I write that even though a big part of me thinks the Packers are going to win. They are 2 1/2-point favorites for a reason -- they are very, very good. Their powerful front seven could cause fits for the Steelers offensive line, which will play without Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey. Their franchise quarterback, Aaron Rodgers, and his cast of thousands at wide receiver could do the same to the Steelers secondary, much as Tom Brady and his New England bunch did earlier in the season.

But now that it's time to pick the game, I can't pull the trigger and go with the Packers. I can't pick against Roethlisberger. There's just no way. I fully expect him to find a way to win the game for the Steelers......................

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11037/1123058-87.stm