PDA

View Full Version : Dermontti and Bettis miss the HOF

Craic
02-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Bettis should have gone in before Sharpe.

zulater
02-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Dawson made it to the final 10, but didn't make the final cut. Bettis didn't make it to the final 10.

It was a strong overall class, but I do object to one inductee. Shannon Sharpe was nothing but a glorified slot receiver, he couldn't block my Grandmother and never deserved to be called a tight end.

zulater
02-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Bettis should have gone in before Sharpe.

So should every other one of the finalists. Sharpre was nothing more than a glorified slot receiver, couldn't block my grandmother.

I was really hoping Dawson would make it this year.

Craic
02-05-2011, 06:43 PM
So should every other one of the finalists. Sharpre was nothing more than a glorified slot receiver, couldn't block my grandmother.

me to.

fansince'76
02-05-2011, 06:44 PM

Not to mention a CB who shied away from contact like the plague going in on his first ballot. And before anybody says "but his coverage skills!", he was no better than Mel Blount in that department and Blount HIT people.

BigNastyDefense
02-05-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm not worried about Bettis, he will probably get in next year.

However, I am starting to worry about Dawson. Offensive linemen often get overlooked unless the guy played left tackle.

fansince'76
02-05-2011, 06:54 PM
....I am starting to worry about Dawson. Offensive linemen often get overlooked unless the guy played left tackle.

The best center of his era and he continues to get snubbed. If we'd have won SB XXX, he would have probably been voted in a couple years ago. Thanks again, Neil.

tube517
02-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Bus will get in eventually...Shannon Sharpe was just a big WR, not a TE....I am also worried about Dirt.

ALLD
02-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Dawson made it to the final 10, but didn't make the final cut. Bettis didn't make it to the final 10.

It was a strong overall class, but I do object to one inductee. Shannon Sharpe was nothing but a glorified slot receiver, he couldn't block my Grandmother and never deserved to be called a tight end.

Coach Cowher and many others would agree with you. 100% charity if you ask me. And if he made it in then Hines Ward who has made many more better catches and can block, should be a lock for first ballot.

zulater
02-05-2011, 07:10 PM
The best center of his era and he continues to get snubbed. If we'd have won SB XXX, he would have probably been voted in a couple years ago. Thanks again, Neil.

At least being as he was in the final 10 he's an automatic finalist next year.

ALLD
02-05-2011, 07:11 PM

Merril Hodge said that Andre Hastings ran the wrong route, but I say Neil O'Donnel still let go of the ball right to the CB.

7willBheaven
02-05-2011, 07:12 PM
I got home and checked who got in...and I agree Sanders should NOT have gone in for a while....and Sharpe either (though I'm more OK with Sharpe than Sanders)...Dawson should have got in over Sanders....and while I think Bettis was better than either of them...i had a feeling it would be a year or 2 before he went in.

tube517
02-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Neil and Larry Brown got together the night before the SB and went over the plays together so LB could get MVP

Merril Hodge said that Andre Hastings ran the wrong route, but I say Neil O'Donnel still let go of the ball right to the CB.

Buckinnuts
02-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Faulk and Sanders come on man! Bettis deserves this much more than these 2 idiots!

Devilsdancefloor
02-05-2011, 08:02 PM
martin, bussy. dirt & roaf got robbed! Faulk & sharpe should not be in at this point and time! Im still pissed that LC isnt in the HOF

86WARD
02-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Dawson should be a lock...perhaps the Greatest Center of All-Time. Bettis will get there...probably after Martin...although I think he should go before.

zulater
02-05-2011, 10:05 PM
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/27366-dawson-snubbed-again

The bypassing once again of the great Dermontti Dawson by the selectors of the Pro Football Hall of Fame remains unexplainable.

In voting that took place yesterday, Dawson, who played for the Steelers from 1988-2000, was a finalist but not one of seven chosen for enshrinement.

The seven were: Marshall Faulk, Deion Sanders, Shannon Sharpe, Richard Dent, Richard Dent, Ed Sabol, Les Richter and Chris Hanburger.

Hard to quibble with Faulk and Sanders but Sharpe and Dent do not belong in the Hall of Fame before Dawson.

According to profootballrefence.com, Dawson was first team All-Pro center six times. Dent, a defensive end, was All-Pro once. And there are two defensive ends selected every year and only one center.

Sharpe was first team All-Pro four times.

Steeler bias often is given as a reason for exclusion, but Dawson was not part of the large contingent of Steelers who made it from the 1970s. That excuse might work for L. C. Greenwood, but Dawson’s prime was in the 1990s.

I hope Dawson’s low-key personality isn’t a factor here. It makes you wonder, though, that two well-known and flamboyant broadcasters, Sanders and Sharpe, got in before Dawson, who was a quiet, humble gentleman. Dawson's quiet, thoughtful approach made him an outstanding interview, but his style would never work on a TV set.

But he sure could play football.

One of these years the Pro Football Hall of Fame will recognize that

fansince'76
02-05-2011, 10:39 PM
I hope Dawson’s low-key personality isn’t a factor here. It makes you wonder, though, that two well-known and flamboyant broadcasters, Sanders and Sharpe, got in before Dawson, who was a quiet, humble gentleman. Dawson's quiet, thoughtful approach made him an outstanding interview, but his style would never work on a TV set.Maybe, but I think it has more to do with something else those two have that Dawson doesn't. Namely, SB rings. Championships matter in HoF voting. They shouldn't matter as much as they do, but that's the way it is. I think that's also the main reason Cris Carter and Andre Reed are both still on the outside looking in and Crackhead Irvin's already in there.

SteelerFanInStl
02-05-2011, 10:40 PM
It's an absolute travesty that Dawson got bypassed once again. He should've been in easily this year.

Curtis Martin is the #4 all time leading rusher and Bettis is #5. Neither one got elected but Faulk, who's #10, did. I can't help but think that Faulk got in first because of his post-NFL career. Bettis and Martin both also deserve to get in.

With Dawson and Bettis both getting rejected, the Steelers have been disrespected by the media once again.

Craic
02-05-2011, 11:36 PM
I agree with everyone concerning Sharpe- Sanders however, I think absolutely deserves to be in- First ballot? Maybe maybe not. But he was good enough to shut down his half of the field multiple times. Was he as complete as Woodson? No. But I would venture that he was better at coverage than Woodson- Woodson was a better all around CB, more flexible, jumping routes, blitzing, etc.

But I have no problem with him making it.

Sharpe over Bettis? That is ridiculous.

tube517
02-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Faulk was a dual threat running and receiving. His stats don't lie. However, I think being on the NFLN helps him. Bettis hasn't been on TV except for 2 years on NBC. Martin is a ghost. Sharpe and Deion are both loudmouths so all the TV time helped Horseface Sharpe, Peeon and Faulk.

It's an absolute travesty that Dawson got bypassed once again. He should've been in easily this year.

Curtis Martin is the #4 all time leading rusher and Bettis is #5. Neither one got elected but Faulk, who's #10, did. I can't help but think that Faulk got in first because of his post-NFL career. Bettis and Martin both also deserve to get in.

With Dawson and Bettis both getting rejected, the Steelers have been disrespected by the media once again.

oneforthetoe
02-06-2011, 02:35 AM
Not too upset for Bussy. He will get in. Look, they couldn't put three rbs in the hall this year. I can't stand Marshall Faulk on the NFL Network, but I can't argue with him going before Jerome and Curtis. He was the offensive player of the year three times, the league MVP twice. In addition, he had more total yards from scrimmage (19,000+) than either Bus or Martin.

Similarly, Deon is still a moron. However, he belongs in the Hall. I hate the term first ballot Hall of Famer. It is one of the biggest reasons the selection process is all screwed up. The Hall of Fame doesn't delineate between first, second or 49th ballot. You are either in the Hall or you are not. If they would take players in order instead this silly first ballot crap there wouldn't be such a back log of deserving players waiting 10 years after we all know they should be in.

Dawson continues to be the real travesty here. Hopefully, making the top ten this year shows he has the support within the committee to get in soon. The two non-Steelers that are travesties on this list are Charlies Haley (um 5 Super Bowls - and he played a major role on all those teams) and Andre Reed ( I know the Bills have come to be known as lovable losers because of their present state combined with the 4 Super Bowl losses, but those 80's teams were very good - particularly on offense and Reed was a major contributor).

oneforthetoe
02-06-2011, 03:02 AM
2012 could be a good year for both Jerome and Dermontti to get in. One of the weaker new eligibility classes in a while for sure . The notable first timers: Tiki Barber, Bill Cowher, Bill Parcells, Will Shields, and Rod Smith. I don't think any of those guys will necessarily command the "first ballot" crap that floats around. If Cowher goes back to coaching then he is out. Rod Smith a Will Shields were great players, but are not big time stars. Parcells is probably the only one who gets in out of this group.

The bad news is that Dermontti doesn't get in next year he could be in big trouble. Take a look at the new eligible players in 2013: Larry Allen, Morten Andersen, Priest Holmes, Steve McNair, Jonathan Ogden, Warren Sapp, Michael Strahan, Bryant Young. Well, a kicker isn't getting in here, but you have to think that at least two (Ogden and Allen) and maybe three (Sapp or Strahan) of these guys go in the first time.

Has to be next year for Dawson

Count Steeler
02-06-2011, 05:37 AM
How can they justify Sharpe over Carter? What a bunch of morons. What "skeltons" does Chris Carter have in his closet that only they know about? Did he gamble on football or something?

solardave
02-06-2011, 05:40 AM

Bill Cowher said it best about Sharpe when he was sitting right next to him. "He didn't block so he was NOT a complete TE, period. Just like Dion Sanders was only a cover corner, to scared to tackle anyone. Sure he covered like no one else but he was a wimp IMHO. I'm afraid Jerome and Dermonti will have to die to get in.

Galax Steeler
02-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Bill Cowher said it best about Sharpe when he was sitting right next to him. "He didn't block so he was NOT a complete TE, period. Just like Dion Sanders was only a cover corner, to scared to tackle anyone. Sure he covered like no one else but he was a wimp IMHO. I'm afraid Jerome and Dermonti will have to die to get in.

I hope it don't come down to that LOl but hopefully they will get in soon.

HometownGal
02-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Dirt not getting in is a travesty. :mad: The Bus will get there eventually - no doubt about that.

Mush Mouth gets the nod? REALLY???????? :lol: :rofl: :lol: BULLSHIT.

Texasteel
02-06-2011, 06:52 AM
To tell you the truth, the list of players that missed the cut looked better than the list of players that made it.

Sharpe and Sanders ????? If they were not part of the media I don't think they get a second thought.

VTsteel
02-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Sharpe and Sanders ????? If they were not part of the media I don't think they get a second thought.

I was just about to type this as well. Being prominently placed on T.V. and in articles is a great way to stay relevant. The face time certainly helped Sharpe no question. Dirt just needs to be on the NFL network and on a pregame show and I guarantee he will get in! Remember it is the AP writers association that votes on this . . . So, its analogous to voting for your peers.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/SelectionProcessFAQ.aspx

86WARD
02-06-2011, 08:50 AM

Faulk deserved to be in before Martin and Bettis. Easily. What he did as a RB not only rushing but receiving was phenomenal.

Dawson should've been in way before Sharpe and Dent. No doubt.

Woodson's career was very similar to Sanders. Woodson was definitely more complete, but Sanders had the flash and the hype...which is why people think he was the best...when he really wasn't.

tube517
02-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Carter had drug issues early in his career when he was released by the Iggles. It's well documented but was a long time ago. Carter doesn't have a ring and Horseface has 3. That was probably the tipping point.

How can they justify Sharpe over Carter? What a bunch of morons. What "skeltons" does Chris Carter have in his closet that only they know about? Did he gamble on football or something?

Texasteel
02-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Faulk deserved to be in before Martin and Bettis. Easily. What he did as a RB not only rushing but receiving was phenomenal.

Dawson should've been in way before Sharpe and Dent. No doubt.

Woodson's career was very similar to Sanders. Woodson was definitely more complete, but Sanders had the flash and the hype...which is why people think he was the best...when he really wasn't.

It's hard for me to put a CB in the HOF that not only refused to tackle, but would run the opposite direction to keep away from it. I would not put him anywhere close to Woodson

Hindes204
02-06-2011, 02:48 PM
I didnt read through all the posts so not sure if anybody mentioned this, but the 3 notable inductees, sharpe, sandrs, and faulk, are all members of the media...the same media that votes on who gets in

makes you say hmmmmmm

ALLD
02-06-2011, 04:07 PM
The NFL Network (media) took care of its own. I agree that Ed Sabol more than deserved to get in and so did Sanders, but the honor is getting watered down with the likes of Chris Hanburger and Horse Face Mush Mouth as it bypasses Dirt and The Bus.

Iron Steeler
02-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Sigh...

steelerdude15
02-06-2011, 09:50 PM
It would have been great to see them going in, but there's always next year. Congrads to the guys who did make it in this year.