PDA

View Full Version : Why Harrison keeps hitting QB's in the head

Craic
02-05-2011, 03:59 PM
There is an element of physics which everyone seems to overlook.

Let us take a look at the QB's we have played this year:

Drew Brees 6'0
Bruce Gradowski 6'1
Fitzpatrick: 6'2
Colt McCoy 6-2
Mark Sanchez 6'2
Chad Henney 6'3
Jimmy Clausen 6'3
Tom Brady 6'4
Matt Ryan: 6'5
Vince Young: 6'5
Jason Cambell 6'5
Carson Palmer 6'5
Kerry Collins: 6'5
Josh Freeman 6'6
Joe Flacco 6'6

Now, I am not going to list all the LB's, but it should be known that most of the linebackers are between 6'2 and 6'5.

That means, a good form tackle would put the average LB chest to chest with a wrap and tackle.

Now, let's remind ourselves that James Harrison, IS 6'0!!

Which means, when he goes to tackle, when he leans in to hit, the top of his helmet will NATURALLY be at the jaw/lower level face of literally HALF the QB's. Thus, the NATURAL and NORMAL way to tackle, will ALWAYS cause a helmet to helmet hit on half the QB's played this year.

tube517
02-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Jimmy Clausen is 6'3"? He looks 4'2"

Craic
02-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Jimmy Clausen is 6'3"? He looks 4'2"

LOL. Yep, at least according to his stat page.

86WARD
02-05-2011, 04:59 PM
That means, a good form tackle would put the average LB chest to chest with a wrap and tackle.

Since when is a "chest to chest tackle" a good form tackle? lol...

I gotta be honest...I'm not going to mind if Harrison knocks Rodgers out of the game with a helmet to helmet concussion...

Craic
02-05-2011, 05:11 PM

I gotta be honest...I'm not going to mind if Harrison knocks Rodgers out of the game with a helmet to helmet concussion...

Since tackling has been taught.

Objective - Teach proper tackling form.
Action - Separate your defenders into 2 groups: ball carriers & defenders facing each on a line of scrimmage. On the coach's signal, the defender's engage the ball carriers in a fit position and hold on as the coach checks for proper form - feet about shoulder width apart for good base, knees bent, back flat, butt out and arms wrapped around the buttocks.
Coaching Details - Check for proper fit form during the football drill. Be sure defenders hit with their shoulder or chest with the head up

http://www.football-plays-and-drills.com/football-tackling-drills.html

Also watch this video (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/media_library/Videos/2009/09/Football_Fundamentals_Form_Tackle.aspx?id=1f6da7ad 94574515808bec9e26852772)- when it is all said and done, you see what, the tackler is chest to chest with the player offensive player.

Notice that, when you tackle how they say to tackle, with the head up, if you are going full speed and slip just a little bit, you are going to crack the kid in the bottom of the helmet, ESPECIALLY if he is 2 or 3 inches shorter.

fansince'76
02-05-2011, 06:04 PM
He does it cuz he's duuurty! :chuckle:

Iron Steeler
02-05-2011, 06:10 PM
I say, HIT THE CRAP OUT OF ALL OF EM TOMORROW!!! I'll help pay the fines

steelreserve
02-05-2011, 06:41 PM

Heh ... you think the bitching and moaning after the Seahawks SB was bad, just imaging what would happen after that. Packers fans would be whining for 50 years. Not that I'd care; they can all go to hell anyway.

Steeltreal
02-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Thought Drew Brees was 5'12".

86WARD
02-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Since tackling has been taught.

http://www.football-plays-and-drills.com/football-tackling-drills.html

Also watch this video (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/media_library/Videos/2009/09/Football_Fundamentals_Form_Tackle.aspx?id=1f6da7ad 94574515808bec9e26852772)- when it is all said and done, you see what, the tackler is chest to chest with the player offensive player.

Notice that, when you tackle how they say to tackle, with the head up, if you are going full speed and slip just a little bit, you are going to crack the kid in the bottom of the helmet, ESPECIALLY if he is 2 or 3 inches shorter.

Not that this is the thread for it, but a chest to chest tackle is going to get a defender knocked on his ass. Proper technique is to place the the shoulder pad into the hip (or lower) with the head up. This prevents head/neck injury and gives the tackler the best position to stop the runners legs. The head should be across the front of the opponents chest/body and explode thru with the legs. Wrap with the arms and drive. Coming at a ball carriers chest is going to do very little when he squares his shoulders and drives his body through the tacklers chest...

Leverage.

Chest to Chest just doesn't work...see below...lol.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j273/10_pearljam/988683836_l.gif

86WARD
02-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Heh ... you think the bitching and moaning after the Seahawks SB was bad, just imaging what would happen after that. Packers fans would be whining for 50 years. Not that I'd care; they can all go to hell anyway.

It would be ecstatic if they bitched and moaned about that OR a bad call that went the Steelers way...

Psycho Ward 86
02-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Wouldn't being shorter reduce helmet to helmet hits, lol im confused

Craic
02-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Wouldn't being shorter reduce helmet to helmet hits, lol im confused

No, same size means that momentum would carry your head right over the other guys as you are driving through him, if you slide up. Being lower than him, means the crown of your helmet drives up, right into their facemask-exactly what Harrison has been called for.

Craic
02-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Not that this is the thread for it, but a chest to chest tackle is going to get a defender knocked on his ass. Proper technique is to place the the shoulder pad into the hip (or lower) with the head up. This prevents head/neck injury and gives the tackler the best position to stop the runners legs. The head should be across the front of the opponents chest/body and explode thru with the legs. Wrap with the arms and drive. Coming at a ball carriers chest is going to do very little when he squares his shoulders and drives his body through the tacklers chest...

Leverage.

Chest to Chest just doesn't work...see below...lol.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j273/10_pearljam/988683836_l.gif

I do not mean that is how the tackle begins, but rather, as you drive into a player (with a shoulder or squared to him, you will end up that way, and finish by driving through him-which is exactly what Harrison does. Even if you roll a shoulder into him, the shoulder is not what stays in contact, but you move to practically your entire chest in contact with the other player as you drive through. In hockey, it is a bit different, as the player's skates come out from underneath them, so momentum shifts downwards to the legs which flip out (and I ended up being kicked in the cup an number of times... OUCH). But here, where you have better footing, the momentum stays in the upper body more, which forces the fuller contact-again, watch the video I posted.