PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians Went Against Grain to Get Steelers to Super Bowl.

stillers4me
02-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Certain situations tell a lot about a team, a coach, an assistant coach.

So it was with the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/team/pittsburgh/steelers) in the AFC championship game when Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians were faced with a choice. The Steelers (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/team/pittsburgh/steelers) had seen a 24-0 lead dissipate to 24-19, and the New York Jets (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/team/new-york/jets) had only to stop the Steelers in the final three minutes to get a chance to advance to the Super Bowl (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/superbowl).

Pittsburgh made a bold choice. The results propelled the Steelers to an appearance in Super Bowl XLV on Sunday against the Green Bay Packers (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/team/green-bay/packers).

In the Championship Game, Pittsburgh took over at its 41-yard-line with 3:06 left. New York had all three of its timeouts, and all the momentum. In the patterned and predictable world of the NFL (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/), a team in that position runs the ball three times, punts and takes its chances on defense.

But not Arians............

Read more @ http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/02/04/bruce-arians-went-against-grain-to-get-steelers-to-super-bowl/

HometownGal
02-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Great read on BA! :applaudit: I love the great relationship between he and Ben and the fact that he trusts his players so much. I've always believed in and supported him and that will be no different come Sunday at 6:30 PM. I really believe we are going to see a whale of a performance by our offense! :tt03:

86WARD
02-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Good article.

Count Steeler
02-04-2011, 09:14 PM
While I enjoyed the final drive to put the game away, where was the offense for the rest of the second half? We should never let up, especially in the playoffs. On offense or defense. 60 minutes of excellence, please.

pepsyman1
02-04-2011, 09:25 PM
While I enjoyed the final drive to put the game away, where was the offense for the rest of the second half? We should never let up, especially in the playoffs. On offense or defense. 60 minutes of excellence, please.

I agree...I thought we got away from the mix that was so effective in the first half. We actually ran the ball much more than I expected, I was expecting that we would really start taking advantage of more play-action opportunities after that. In the 2nd half our passing game seemed to go back to Ben just looking for a big play downfield instead of moving the chains like we did at the beginning of the game. I hope that we get a lead and both Arians AND Lebeau try to plant a foot on Green Bay's neck.

Devilsdancefloor
02-04-2011, 09:27 PM
nice read! now go out there sunday and bring steeler nation #7!!

Psycho Ward 86
02-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Oh my God, a play action pass in an obvious run situation, Brucie is just amazing at coming up with these things.

Merchant
02-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Oh my God, a play action pass in an obvious run situation, Brucie is just amazing at coming up with these things.

Hey, even Rex Ryan was fooled. Before the play he said "no way in hell are they passing this thing."

Craic
02-05-2011, 04:16 AM
Funny thing-

We haven't lost an AFCCG since Tomlin and Arians took over.

If that was Cowher and any one of his coordinators- we would be sitting back wondering how long this offseason would be right now, rather than getting ready for another SB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2011, 01:05 PM
I agree...I thought we got away from the mix that was so effective in the first half. We actually ran the ball much more than I expected, I was expecting that we would really start taking advantage of more play-action opportunities after that. In the 2nd half our passing game seemed to go back to Ben just looking for a big play downfield instead of moving the chains like we did at the beginning of the game. I hope that we get a lead and both Arians AND Lebeau try to plant a foot on Green Bay's neck.

You guys would be classified as .................haters??

I see your point somewhat. The defense gets a TD from Gay and some turnovers for a short field and that 24-3 lead goes eventually to 24-19. Utter greatness in offensive production by the Steelers...its undeniable.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Hey, this is looking like 2008 all again. Defensive TD's all thru the playoffs to supplement mediocre offense. Anybody bet that we need a defensive TD in order to win the SB.........just like 2008??

fansince'76
02-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey, this is looking like 2008 all again. Defensive TD's all thru the playoffs to supplement mediocre offense. Anybody bet that we need a defensive TD in order to win the SB.........just like 2008??

Hopefully the defense also doesn't surrender a double-digit lead and about 300 passing yards in the 4th quarter of the SB again, just like in 2008, forcing the offense to go 90 yards in the last two-thirty to win.

stillers4me
02-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Hopefully the defense also doesn't surrender a double-digit lead and about 300 passing yards in the 4th quarter of the SB again, just like in 2008, forcing the offense to go 90 yards in the last two-thirty to win.

..my heart can't take that again.........

HometownGal
02-05-2011, 04:42 PM

Spot on. So many people want to lay everything at the feet of the O when the game starts to take a bad turn, but the D needs to do whatever it takes to hold the lead that the O hopefully gives them. Tough, aggressive, kick-ass Pittsburgh Steelers football the ENTIRE 60 minutes instead of going to the prevent. I came as close to sharting my jeans watching XLIII than I've ever come. :horror:

Craic
02-05-2011, 04:48 PM

Yep. I am always amazed when people talk about how the D score a TD to help the offense, but fail to discuss how the defense gives up 10-14 points repeatedly in the fourth quarter, which is why the defense needed to score to help the comeback==and Ben needs to drive the team one last time for a win.

tube517
02-05-2011, 04:48 PM
:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:: rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Spot on. So many people want to lay everything at the feet of the O when the game starts to take a bad turn, but the D needs to do whatever it takes to hold the lead that the O hopefully gives them. Tough, aggressive, kick-ass Pittsburgh Steelers football the ENTIRE 60 minutes instead of going to the prevent. I came as close to sharting my jeans watching XLIII than I've ever come. :horror:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2011, 05:33 PM

Yeah, I guess if the Steelers were able to mamage more than 60 yards rushing against that lousy Cardinals defence, they could have kept Kurt Warner, Fitzgerald, Boldin, etc off the field.

Lets just hope the best defense in the NFL shows up for the Steelers on Sunday.

fansince'76
02-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I guess if the Steelers were able to mamage more than 60 yards rushing against that lousy Cardinals defence, they could have kept Kurt Warner, Fitzgerald, Boldin, etc off the field.

Point taken. I think our running game is better now than it was then. Not Cowher-era effective at burning clock, but a good sight better than in 2008.

tube517
02-05-2011, 05:47 PM
B-b-b-b-b-b-b-but Peter King said Mendenhall is not a big game RB................... :jerkit:

Point taken. I think our running game is better now than it was then. Not Cowher-era effective at burning clock, but a good sight better than in 2008.

Psycho Ward 86
02-05-2011, 05:56 PM

Yeah seriously lol. I don't know if people remember this but Ike worked up Fitzgerald to a measily 1 catch for 12 yards from the beginning of the game to the early 4th quarter.

By the time the game ended, that turned in to 7 catches for 127 yards and 2 TD's. Lol, i suppose this game will be just as big of a nailbiter.

Craic
02-05-2011, 06:37 PM

Lets just hope the best defense in the NFL shows up for the Steelers on Sunday.

Thing is, this has been a consistent problem since 1995. Sure, cowher was 13024352 and 1 when up by 11. But that stat doesn't include fact that pittsburgh had to score again to win. I went back and looked at all the stats once. If I remember right, there were something like 3-4 times every year since 1995, that the defense, when they were in the league, allowed the other team to come back.

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Thing is, this has been a consistent problem since 1995. Sure, cowher was 13024352 and 1 when up by 11. But that stat doesn't include fact that pittsburgh had to score again to win. I went back and looked at all the stats once. If I remember right, there were something like 3-4 times every year since 1995, that the defense, when they were in the league, allowed the other team to come back.

I remember that discussion...think I helped confirm most of your stats in that regard. Kind of shocking but yes, it was about 4 times a year that the Offense had to score to re-take the lead after already having an 11 point lead at some point in the game. Pretty sure the last 2 times we have blown the 11 point lead and lost were both to the Bengals. Pretty sure that's fact.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2011, 10:21 PM

Yes, it was better because Pouncey and Foster are better upgrades at the positions than Hartwig and Darnell Stapleton.

I just think its funny that some are making Arians out to be some genius for going shotgun-empty backfield on 3rd down vs the Jets and getting that conversion......when the pass was completed by Ben to his 4th read, after he got out of the pocket. The Jets had the first 3 options covered, because they KNEW IT HAD TO BE A PASS WITH NO RB, but Ben just made the play.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2011, 10:32 PM

Preach, we all watched those seasons and there is no doubt in my mind that the Steelers and that physical O line that was allowed to run the ball, closed out more games than the current Steelers.

I think that some teams make adjustments to the Steelers at halftime and the Steelers offense then spends a few series going 3 and out, which leaves the opposing offense more time to get points. Best way to keep Aaron Rodgers from scoring is to keep him off the field with some nice 7 minute scoring drives.