PDA

View Full Version : Pay No Attention to BJ Raji-Doug Legursky Matchup Hype.

stillers4me
02-04-2011, 08:03 PM
At his best, B.J. Raji is a rocket-powered bowling ball, bouncing off offensive linemen and running over quarterbacks and running backs with remarkable agility for a 340-plus pounder.

At his best, Doug Legursky is a solid backup offensive lineman with the versatility to play center and guard. Unfortunately for Legursky, he doesn't have Raji's size or strength or long arms. More importantly, he doesn't have Steelers' starting center Maurkice Pouncey's size, strength or arm length.

So with Pouncey questionable for Sunday's Super Bowl (despite his protestations), this would appear to be a prescription for Steelers disaster -- one of the NFL's best nose tackles facing a center who will be in over his head. It's become one of the main themes of this week's Super Bowl coverage.

It's a logical storyline, one that makes sense to everyone. But here's the thing: it's not really accurate............

Read more @ http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/02/04/pay-no-attention-to-the-bj-raji-vs-doug-legursky-hype/

SteelerFanInStl
02-04-2011, 09:07 PM
I must have missed where Raji became "one of the best nose tackles in the NFL". I really don't get all of the hype and why everyone seems to think that Legursky is gonna have problems with him. Looking back at the Packers / Bears game, Raji had all of one tackle. He made the interception for the TD but that was it. In the Falcons game, he had one tackle for a sack. In the Eagles game, he had 3 tackles. So, why is everyone talking about this guy?

Chidi29
02-04-2011, 09:11 PM
I must have missed where Raji became "one of the best nose tackles in the NFL". I really don't get all of the hype and why everyone seems to think that Legursky is gonna have problems with him. Looking back at the Packers / Bears game, Raji had all of one tackle. He made the interception for the TD but that was it. In the Falcons game, he had one tackle for a sack. In the Eagles game, he had 3 tackles. So, why is everyone talking about this guy?

We Steelers fans should be the first to know stats are extremely misleading when looking at 3-4 DL.

Devilsdancefloor
02-04-2011, 09:31 PM
noit his job to make tackles it is to eat up blocks and let hawk/matthews to clean up THAT is why this is a big deal, but again i have alot of faith in Legursky & the rest of the line! Cause i BELIEVE!!

Psycho Ward 86
02-04-2011, 09:36 PM

Really. Judging a nose tackle based on tackles? I guess this makes Ahtyba Rubin an All-pro and Casey Hampton is just a flat failure.

SteelerFanInStl
02-05-2011, 09:32 AM
noit his job to make tackles it is to eat up blocks and let hawk/matthews to clean up THAT is why this is a big deal, but again i have alot of faith in Legursky & the rest of the line! Cause i BELIEVE!!

Really. Judging a nose tackle based on tackles? I guess this makes Ahtyba Rubin an All-pro and Casey Hampton is just a flat failure.

And my whole point went right over your heads. The press is making Raji out to be some All Pro player all of a sudden but he's not at that level.

43Hitman
02-05-2011, 09:46 AM
And my whole point went right over your heads. The press is making Raji out to be some All Pro player all of a sudden but he's not at that level.
No it didn't, we understand that you think a nose tackle has to have sacks and tackles to be considered great. The fact is though, that just isn't the case. A nose tackle is supposed to occupy blockers so the linebackers can make the play. Pressure from a nose tackle is often times better than him actually getting to the QB or RB. If the nose tackle is getting pressure, the linebackers are having a field day in the backfield. Thats why you see teams showing passing sets and then running out of them They want to get Hampton off the field. Raji is used slightly different but the concept is still the same with a 3-4 NT.

SteelerFanInStl
02-05-2011, 12:27 PM
No it didn't, we understand that you think a nose tackle has to have sacks and tackles to be considered great. The fact is though, that just isn't the case. A nose tackle is supposed to occupy blockers so the linebackers can make the play. Pressure from a nose tackle is often times better than him actually getting to the QB or RB. If the nose tackle is getting pressure, the linebackers are having a field day in the backfield. Thats why you see teams showing passing sets and then running out of them They want to get Hampton off the field. Raji is used slightly different but the concept is still the same with a 3-4 NT.

Bullshit. Did I say that tackles and sacks were the most important stats for a NT? I was just giving some numbers on the tackles because that's the most readily available stats. I know what the job of a NT in the 3-4 is.

The fact is that Raji isn't one of the top NTs in the NFL right now but the press is making him out to be. This is much ado about nothing. I'd be much more concerned if we were playing against the Ravens.

stillers4me
02-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Isn't it funny how each and every game this year, the media has come out with one player that "the Steelers can't handle" ????

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2011, 12:33 PM

yeah but the leading tackler on the Packers defense is Woodson, the Corner back...not one the linebackers.

Woodson CB 76 tackles
Bishop ILB 75 tackles
AJ Hawk ILB 72 tackles
Collins FS 59 tackles
Mathews OLB 54 tackles

Timmons ILB 96 tackles
Farrior ILB 80 tackles
McFadden CB 74 tackles
Harrison OLB 70 tackles
Clark FS 57 tackles

but their linebackers are better than ours...everyone thinks so.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2011, 01:00 PM
We Steelers fans should be the first to know stats are extremely misleading when looking at 3-4 DL.

Thanks for some reason in this thread. Those of us that followed the draft, Senior Bowl and NFL Combine know that Raji is an amazing talent and really starting to become an impact player in his second season. He was drafted in the same year as Ziggy Hood and the same year that Doug Legursky was not drafted.

This is definately a mismatch, but a smart and focused O lineman like Legursky can limit his disadvanteges to Raji and at best stalemate him from being a huge factor.

43Hitman
02-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Bullshit. Did I say that tackles and sacks were the most important stats for a NT? I was just giving some numbers on the tackles because that's the most readily available stats. I know what the job of a NT in the 3-4 is.

The fact is that Raji isn't one of the top NTs in the NFL right now but the press is making him out to be. This is much ado about nothing. I'd be much more concerned if we were playing against the Ravens.

you did when you used stats to back up your argument that he isn't good.

Count Steeler
02-05-2011, 01:48 PM
This just in, since Raji is playing, the Steelers have conceded the Super Bowl. The NFL is extremely happy because now they can play even more commercials and they can slobber over their next golden boy, Aaron Rodgers.

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO. PITTSBURGH IS GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!

HERE WE ARE STEELERS, HERE WE ARE. PITTSBURGH IS AT THE SUPER BOWL!

Chidi29
02-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks for some reason in this thread. Those of us that followed the draft, Senior Bowl and NFL Combine know that Raji is an amazing talent and really starting to become an impact player in his second season. He was drafted in the same year as Ziggy Hood and the same year that Doug Legursky was not drafted.

This is definately a mismatch, but a smart and focused O lineman like Legursky can limit his disadvanteges to Raji and at best stalemate him from being a huge factor.

I actually think the more interesting matchup to watch in regards to Legursky is on the ILBs, Hawk and Bishop. Often times with Pouncey, we'd chip the NT into the guard and have the center get to the second level. Pouncey's athletic ability was perfect for that. Legursky, with short arms and limited athletic ability, will struggle and I saw it last week.

And from what I've been reading, the Packers move Raji around. Line him up in the "A" gap and let him shoot to try and get penetration. Apparently the Bears only had Kruetz block Raji seven out of 61 plays in the championship games.

Kemoeatu and Foster will be more important in stopping Raji than Legursky.

SteelerFanInStl
02-05-2011, 04:57 PM
you did when you used stats to back up your argument that he isn't good.

Again you have reading comprehension problems. I never said that he wasn't good. What I've said in this thread and in others is that he's NOT THE ALL PRO PLAYER THAT THE MEDIA IS MAKING HIM OUT TO BE. Do you understand that? He's a good player and could be one of the top NTs one of these years but he's not there yet. It's ridiculous to place such a big emphasis on that matchup.

43Hitman
02-05-2011, 06:14 PM

This is where you attempt to use stats, or the lack thereof to defend your argument. You are suggesting that because he doesn't have stats that he cannot be "one of the best".

Again you have reading comprehension problems. I never said that he wasn't good. What I've said in this thread and in others is that he's NOT THE ALL PRO PLAYER THAT THE MEDIA IS MAKING HIM OUT TO BE. Do you understand that? He's a good player and could be one of the top NTs one of these years but he's not there yet. It's ridiculous to place such a big emphasis on that matchup.

First of all no one had an attitude with you, so I would appreciate it if you would return that same respect. Secondly, All Pro and "one of the best" are two completely different things. Stop moving the goal posts.

Finally, I honestly don't think he's going to be a problem for Legursky. GB moves him around a lot, and it would out of the norm for them to line him up over center all game as Chidi already pointed out. With out a doubt though, he is going to be a challenge for our offensive line, whether or not you want to agree with that is up to you.

steelreserve
02-05-2011, 06:35 PM

The press is making everyone on the Packers out to be some All Pro player all of a sudden even though they're not.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2011, 10:08 PM
I actually think the more interesting matchup to watch in regards to Legursky is on the ILBs, Hawk and Bishop. Often times with Pouncey, we'd chip the NT into the guard and have the center get to the second level. Pouncey's athletic ability was perfect for that. Legursky, with short arms and limited athletic ability, will struggle and I saw it last week.

And from what I've been reading, the Packers move Raji around. Line him up in the "A" gap and let him shoot to try and get penetration. Apparently the Bears only had Kruetz block Raji seven out of 61 plays in the championship games.

Kemoeatu and Foster will be more important in stopping Raji than Legursky.

Yeah, nobody lines the NT head up, they always shade a side or the other to one of the A gaps. You are correct that if Raji is in the A gap to Legursky's left, and the steelers run to the right, Legursky will probably combo block Raji with Kemo...then scrape to the 2nd level for the weakside ILB.

But, if the play goes to the left in that alignment, it will be Legursky having to take on Raji and then Kemo may go 2nd level. It all depends on how Kugler wants to block it up, but Legursky will have to take on Raji in some way a lot.

Akagi
02-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Shrug. 2008, Steelers with Justin Hartwig at center beat Baltimore and HAOLI NGATA 3 times, and win the Super Bowl. Ngata might be the only nose tackle I'd say is Hampton's equal. That guy is freakin' GOOD.

Raji is one hell of a good young player. But Legursky isn't chopped liver. Everything will be fine.

GoSlash27
02-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Nice article and food for thought.