PDA

View Full Version : Are Steelers approaching dynasty status?

stillers4me
02-04-2011, 05:04 PM
In his 50 years of experience with scouting, personnel and eventually media, Gil Brandt has seen all the football dynasties come and go in the NFL.

In Brandt's eyes, this current group of Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) can put its name into that elite category with a third championship in six seasons.

"You have to, yes," the former Dallas Cowboys (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/dal/dallas-cowboys) player personnel executive said of considering Pittsburgh a dynasty. "We have some teams that have been in the NFL 45 years and haven't won a Super Bowl."
The Steelers have a lot on the line Sunday in Super Bowl XLV against the Green Bay Packers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers). Not only is Pittsburgh playing for another Lombardi Trophy, but the franchise can make a strong case to be the NFL's latest dynasty -- a term that applies only to teams winning multiple titles in a concentrated period of time................

Read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/24341/page/espntexas/are-steelers-approaching-dynasty-status

ALLD
02-04-2011, 05:33 PM
An MVP performance by Ben will answer several questions including HoFer and Dynasty status. A very good running game will go a long way. Have heard nothing about Redzone.

Craic
02-04-2011, 05:33 PM
NO

I have argued from day 1, a dynasty is 4 SB's with the same core group in a reasonable amount of time. We have two left (one if we win here), and personally, I'd like to see two more before I am really ready to call the team a dynasty. There was just too much turnover between 2005 and 2008.

Starting with Cowher and the Offensive Coordinator.

Skill positions, we have had a switch at RB, two of the top 3 receivers, TE, 2 of the 4 LB's, FS, and then on the lines, 1 from the D and what, 4 of the five from the first O line.

I won't have a problem counting 2005 once we REACH dynasty status, but I really don't think that it should be included in order to qualify for it. So, win this week, and then we have 2 more in order to TRULY be a dynasty on the level of the SF 49ers and 70's Steelers, the ONLY TWO dynasties in the Superbowl era.

tube517
02-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Too early for the "D" word

Count Steeler
02-04-2011, 06:14 PM
I say 2005 belongs to Cowher and his crew, even though Roethlisberger was part of that team. XLIII and XLV would be a good start (2 for 3). If they can go 3 for 4, then D is definitely in the equation. Of course, no matter, they are all Steelers trophies.

PalmerSteel
02-04-2011, 07:03 PM
3 super bowl wins in todays day and age (free agency) should definately be considered a dynasty IMO for any team that does it within an 8 year period.

86WARD
02-04-2011, 07:37 PM
NO

I have argued from day 1, a dynasty is 4 SB's with the same core group in a reasonable amount of time. We have two left (one if we win here), and personally, I'd like to see two more before I am really ready to call the team a dynasty. There was just too much turnover between 2005 and 2008.

Skill positions, we have had a switch at RB, two of the top 3 receivers, TE, 2 of the 4 LB's, FS, and then on the lines, 1 from the D and what, 4 of the five from the first O line.

I won't have a problem counting 2005 once we REACH dynasty status, but I really don't think that it should be included in order to qualify for it. So, win this week, and then we have 2 more in order to TRULY be a dynasty on the level of the SF 49ers and 70's Steelers, the ONLY TWO dynasties in the Superbowl era.

AGREE 100%! I've argued the same many times...with free agency, the era of the dynasty is long gone...

JayC
02-04-2011, 11:25 PM
i agree with 4 super bowls in a short period of time is a dynasty to me. they need some new word for teams that win like 3 in a short period of time. to me it's "a great run" or something.

Steeltreal
02-04-2011, 11:40 PM
2005 team included Rookies Mcfadden , Heath Miller with Kemo and Essex waiting in the wings and James Harrison working his ass off on special teams. thats 5 key players playing in this years superbowl . Compared to Tomlins first draft you have Timmons , Woodley and William Gay only 3 starters.

You have to include Superbowl 40 , 43 , and 45 "if we win" a modern day Dynasty.

GoSlash27
02-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Throwing around the "D" word seems awfully arrogant to me. We're just built to consistently win and reach the playoffs.

Texasteel
02-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Don't know about dynasty, but if we win #7 the Steelers will be the undisputed king of the NFL. And these media pukes can take both the cowboys, and NE and place them into the darkest part of their anatomy.

Kaeg
02-05-2011, 08:56 AM
I don't care if we are considered dynasty yet. Maybe when we look back in several years we'll say yea. But I don't think changing personnel should have anything to do with it. Teams change their people every year. Sometimes players, sometimes coaches. Sure, our first one was with Cowher, but it's the STEELERS who are here doing it. It's a Steelers dynasty. (If it goes that far.)

steelreserve
02-05-2011, 10:02 AM
NO

I think you're basically arguing that it's impossible to do anymore. We've retained more of the core players on this team than probably any other team in the league has over the past five years, or for that matter any team in the past 15 years since they really started going with the strict salary cap. If that's not good enough for you, then sorry, you're asking for a ridiculous standard of proof that probably won't be satisfied even if win 8 more Super Bowls.

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Don't need to be called a Dynasty when you are already known as "THE FRANCHISE!"

SteelerEmpire
02-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Just think, if it weren't for the Cheatriots and their cheating, we'd be working on Lombardi # 9 right now...

Iron Steeler
02-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Just think, if it weren't for the Cheatriots and their cheating, we'd be working on Lombardi # 9 right now...

Agreed... i think i mentioned this in another thread...

Kordell coulda got one...
and
Ben coulda been the first rookie to win a superbowl..

steeldevil
02-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Who cares? I just want #7.

Boh
02-05-2011, 10:52 PM
pretty sure they've been one.

Craic
02-06-2011, 12:26 AM
I think you're basically arguing that it's impossible to do anymore. We've retained more of the core players on this team than probably any other team in the league has over the past five years, or for that matter any team in the past 15 years since they really started going with the strict salary cap. If that's not good enough for you, then sorry, you're asking for a ridiculous standard of proof that probably won't be satisfied even if win 8 more Super Bowls.

We win this year... then two more in the next 3 or four years will do it. At that point, our COACHING STAFF will have remained the same. We would have the same starting RB for 3 of 4 SB's, and 3rd down back for at least 2 of four, Same three QBs for possibly 4 of 4, 3 of 5 of the same lineman, (because of injuries, I count players by position-whether on injured reserve or not, since it is still the core of the team, not the team trying to by a victory via free agency), 1 WR-though the most important in terms of franchise, 2 of 2 TE's (a third was added); ON D. Depending on Casey and Aaron, let's say 2 of 3 DL, LB's -read today that Harrison is as fast today as the day he stepped into the league-and Farrior is showing no signs of slowing down, but to be fair, let's split that, and say 5-6 (for LB's likely to see the field), CB's, 3-4, with Townsend the only one gone.

On contract issues, I think we sign Woodley, Ward will come back and it will be a Bettis style contract IMO, which will free up Woodley's money, not to mention gaining back the franchise money spent on Skippy. Furthermore, Mendy's contract isn't up until 2013, wallace next year, sanders in 13, but Miller has till 15, Ben till 16, Ward till 14 (though again, I thnk it will be adjusted), Starks 13, Willie this year, Kemo 14, Pouncey 15, Keisel 14, Hamption 13, Harrison 15, Farrior 13, and Clark 14.

Those that are comin gup in the next couple years that will be important- Wallace at 12, Colon at 11, Smith (Maybe) at 12, Hampton at 13, starks at 13, and Troy in 12. Woodley this year and Timmons next.

So, this coming year, we resign Woodley, big contract, next year, we resign Timmons and Wallace, nice size contracts, Troy has had his blockbuster contract, and doesn't want to go away from Pittsburgh. Hampton and Starks the year after that.
Depending on the CBA, I think the Steelers will get all of them back. If we let Aaron go and say, Farrior, that clears up 4.5 Mil as of THIS YEAR alone, and since that contract (as all usually are) is probably backloaded, after next year, that is probably 5 Mill or so free, which goes a long way for a first year of a 5-7 year contract with Timmons next year (aaron will either be released, or resigned to a much lower contract, IMO, especially with Hood on the scene). Again, with skippy gone, that is 2.something mill this year that can be put towards signing Woodley. Colon coming off injury is NOT going to have the market impact he was hoping for, and we aren't not going to have to pay top dollar to keep him, by any stretch of the imagination.

No, I think when it is all said and done, we very well CAN win 4-6, 7 with the core of our players AND COACHES in the league as it is now.

I also don't believe in lowering the bar just because we don't "think" that it can be done. Sorry, the Pats had the opportunity to do it the beginning of last decade, and missed out by 1 season (not counting 2007, when their roster was changed too much). The NFL hasn't changed the 1000 yard standard, even though we now play 16 games. The records books haven't adjusted to show the increase in games for career marks such as catch, passes completed, rushing yards, TD's etc. So I don't think there is any reason to lessen the standard set by our own team in the 70's.

Texasteel
02-06-2011, 07:03 AM
I don't really care about the title Dynasty or Americas Team. Let the lesser teams in Dallas and NE worry about that. I will be very happy with Super Bowl Champions.

BigNastyDefense
02-06-2011, 09:40 AM
In the modern era, three is considered a dynasty. So when we win today, I think yes, people can say that the Steelers are a dynasty.

However, when we win our fourth, that's when I will be comfortable calling this era of Steelers a dynasty. Four is the standard that was set in the 1970's by the original Steel Curtain. The standard is the standard.

We changed head coaches, but that wasn't by Cowher getting fired, he walked away.

James Harrison, Ben Roethlisberger*, Hines Ward*, Antwaan Randle El*, Heath Miller*, Charlie Batch, Trai Essex, Max Starks*, Casey Hampton*, Chris Hoke, Brett Keisel, Aaron Smith*, James Farrior*, Larry Foote*, Bryant McFadden, Ike Taylor*, Troy Polamalu*, Willie Parker*, Nate Washington, DeShea Townsend, Jeff Reed, Jerome Bettis

All those players were here for Super Bowl 40 and they are on the team for Super Bowl 45. a * denotes that the player was a starter for that season/Super Bowl.

Dennis Dixon, Byron Leftwich, Mewelde Moore, Santonio Holmes*, Willie Colon*, Justin Hartwig*, Chris Kemoeatu*, Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley*, Ryan Clark*, William Gay*, Doug Legursky (practice squad), Rashard Mendenhall (IR), Chris Kemoeatu*, Tony Hills,

That is a list of players who were on the roster for Super Bowl 43, a * denoting that they were starters.

Now lets look at a complete roster for this year's Super Bowl:

QB - Ben Roethlisberger*, Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon (IR)

RB - Rashard Mendenhall*, Mewelde Moore, Issac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, David Johnson (FB)

WR - Hines Ward*, Mike Wallace*, Antwaan Randle El, Arnaz Battle, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders

TE - Heath Miller*, Matt Spaeth

OL - Jonathon Scott*, Chris Kemoeatu*, Maurkice Pouncey* (on IR for SB 45), Ramon Foster*, Flozell Adams*, Trai Essex*, Doug Legursky* (SB 45 only start), Chris Scott, Tony Hills, Max Starks* (went on IR in season), Willie Colon (went on IR in offseason)

DL - Brett Keisel*, Casey Hampton*, Ziggy Hood*, Aaron Smith* (injured Oct 24, not placed on IR), Chris Hoke, Nick Eason, Steve McClendon

LB - James Harrison*, LaMarr Woodley*, James Farrior*, Lawrence Timmons*, Larry Foote, Jason Worilds, Steven Sylvester

CB - Ike Taylor*, Bryant McFadden*, William Gay, Anthony Madison, Keenan Lewis, Crezdon Butler

S - Troy Polamalu*, Ryan Clark*, Will Allen, Ryan Mundy

Yes, there is some turnover, a lot actually. But not really any more than any other team in this current landscape of the NFL.

You also have to remember that back in the 1970's Steelers dynasty and the 1980's 49ers dynasty that there was no free agency. You basically left a team one of two ways - you were traded or you retired. It was rare a player got to choose where he went.