PDA

View Full Version : Key matchup: Packers NT B.J. Raji vs. Steelers C Doug Legursky

stillers4me
02-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Of all the problems Bruce Arians has to worry about preparing for the Green Bay Packers, the replacement for injured center Maurkice Pouncey isn't one of them.

"I got much bigger headaches than that," Arians said. "I trust him totally."

The reference was to Doug Legursky, an undersized center at 6 feet 1 who will start for Pouncey in Super Bowl XLV.

Not only will Legursky, listed at 323 pounds, be making his first professional start at center since signing as a rookie free agent in 2009; he will be lining against nose tackle B.J. Raji in the Packers' 3-4 defense. At 6-foot-2, 340 pounds, Raji is harder to move than a grand piano.

When the Packers switch out of their base defense, Legursky will have to help on defensive end Cullen Jenkins, who is probably their best run-stuffing lineman.

And Arians isn't worried?

Why?.............

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11035/1122821-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1D22eIZMi

86WARD
02-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Good thing is that Legursky has had 2 weeks to prepare with Pouncey. It's going to be a weakness that the Packers will attempt to exploit. Not happy about it...

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Its gonna have to be technique and positioning to limit the effectiveness of Raji. It will no doubt effect the way the Steelers attack, but lets hope Legursky plays great for 3 hours on sunday.

Iron Steeler
02-04-2011, 05:04 PM
OK I think Merch brought it up in another thread... When has Raji become a super elite DT?? Isnt this his second year in the league?? I think we handle him , its Matthews that I am worried about, and Woodson coming off the blitz.

DO IT DOUG!!! :tt03:

TheRuneMeister
02-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Good thing Raji rarely lines up against the center anyway :noidea:. Worry about whoever blocks the A gap. I'd be more worried about Kemo on Sunday.
However, if they pull Kemo a lot and run right behind the hotel, then Raji won't be much of a factor.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Good thing Raji rarely lines up against the center anyway :noidea:. Worry about whoever blocks the A gap. I'd be more worried about Kemo on Sunday.
However, if they pull Kemo a lot and run right behind the hotel, then Raji won't be much of a factor.

A-gap is the hole between Center and Guard. If you think that Raji isnt gonna line up shaded on the Center , or that Legursky will not have to block him, then you are probably in denial.

I worry that Foster and Legursky will have to double down on Raji with runs to the right. Pouncey you could probably count on being quick enough to cut Raji off and not get pushed into the backfield. He will get blocked, but it might take double team.

Count Steeler
02-04-2011, 06:11 PM
So maybe we don't run up the middle, off tackle is a better spot for Mendenhall anyways.

KeiselPower99
02-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Legursky goes up against our defense everyday in practice so theres virtually nothing GB shows that he hasnt seen. Legursky has been here 3 years and knows the offense line calls better then Pouncey according to several on the team. I know Im a homer cheering for him cause Ive watched him play for the last 7 years but I really feel that all the worry about him is only because he hasnt been on the field.