PDA

View Full Version : Players: Playoff share isn't fair

smokin3000gt
02-04-2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_721259.html

Jonathan Dwyer and Kyle Jolly will stand on the Steelers sideline Sunday, wearing team-issued apparel and watching Super Bowl XLV unfold at Cowboys Stadium.
Neither rookie will play in the game, but Dwyer could earn tens of thousands of dollars more than Jolly if the Steelers defeat the Green Bay Packers.
If the Steelers win their seventh Lombardi Trophy, Dwyer will collect $142,000 for being part of the team's playoff run. Jolly will get $26,000.
The disparity exists because Dwyer, despite being active for just one of 18 games this season, is on the 53-man roster. Jolly, who has played in zero games, is on the eight-man practice squad.
Unfair?
"I totally think so," said Steelers safety Ryan Clark, the team's union representative.
Clark would like to see the issue addressed in the next collective bargaining agreement, which expires in March.
"Just as all of us are part of this team, so are they," he said, referring to the practice squad players. "It would be a great credit to the union to get something like that done. No matter who you are or what you are doing at this time of the year for this team, we're all in the playoffs. Everybody should get the same check."

Read more: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_721259.html

Those guys are pretty generous with everyone else's money. They want those guys to get a fair share, as long as it's none of their share.

HometownGal
02-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Unions. Gotta love em. :coffee:

I think a guy who is on the 53 man roster SHOULD get a higher playoff paycheck than someone on the practice squad. :noidea: The practice squad guys should be happy they get anything. Hell - if Jolly doesn't want his $26,000, I'll take it! :lol:

BigNastyDefense
02-04-2011, 03:48 PM
$26,000 is more than I made in 2010.

Players, please stop bitching about how much money you fucking make. For goodness sake, you make a hell of a lot more a year than the people that watch you at the stadiums and on television.

fansince'76
02-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Mind you, this is coming from the "labor" side of the current CBA negotiations - the same bunch that already gets 60% of the revenue pie which "management" thinks is too much, and is the primary reason why a lockout/strike is looming to begin with. Yeah, I'm sure a new CBA will be all ironed out before the March 3 deadline. :sarcasm2: