PDA

View Full Version : Why Your Team Won't Win the Super Bowl: Pittsburgh Steelers Edition.

LLT
06-12-2010, 04:28 AM
Why Your Team Won't Win the Super Bowl: Pittsburgh Steelers Edition.
by Nick Signorelli Senior Writer
June 12, 2010

In my 32 part series called, "Why Your Team Won't Win The Super Bowl", I feel like I must cover all 32 of the NFL teams, including my Pittsburgh Steelers.

Since I am covering all 32, I will be wrong on one of them, and hopefully, it will be the Steelers that prove me wrong.

After winning the Super Bowl in 2008, many people believed that the Steelers had a real shot at repeating in 2009.

It was fair to think that, because the Steelers had one of the best defenses in 2008, and many of the same players were returning.

In 2010, the Steelers were hoping for a different result, but the obstacles have hit Steelers Nation pretty hard, and there are a lot of doubts if the Steelers can return to the top of the AFC North.

For starters, Ben Roethlisberger is suspended for the first six games of the season. Even with the chance to cut the suspension to four games, the Steelers are still going to be without their leader for a quarter of the season.

Yes, Byron Leftwich is a capable back up, but that is exactly what he is, a back up.

Not only that, former Super Bowl MVP, after facing a four game suspension of his own for substance abuse, was traded to the Jets for a fifth round pick.

That pick was later traded to the Arizona Cardinals for Bryant McFadden.

The Steelers needed to bring McFadden back to the Steel City, due to the injury to Troy Polamalu in the first game of the 2009 season. While Polamalu was injured, bad teams exposed the Steelers secondary for not being that great.

Add to that, the fact that the Steelers are now very thin at the running back position, when they allowed Willie Parker to leave for the Redskins.

There will be a lot for the Steelers to overcome to try and win their seventh Super Bowl, but this may all be just too much for them.

My prediction: Steelers finish 11-5, with the tie breaker over Baltimore, win the AFC North.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/405020-why-your-team-wont-win-the-super-bowl-pittsburgh-steelers

Galax Steeler
06-12-2010, 04:35 AM
Add to that, the fact that the Steelers are now very thin at the running back position, when they allowed Willie Parker to leave for the Redskins.

I don't understand why we are thin at the running back position. We have Mendenhall, Moore, the addition of Dwyer was nice. I think we are set at the position. The loss of Parker is no biggie in my book the man stayed injured alot not a big loss.

HometownGal
06-12-2010, 06:14 AM
I don't understand why we are thin at the running back position. We have Mendenhall, Moore, the addition of Dwyer was nice. I think we are set at the position. The loss of Parker is no biggie in my book the man stayed injured alot not a big loss.

I think he is talking about if Mendy goes down, Galax. Don't know if Moore could step in as a starter if, God forbid, Mendy would have a season ending injury or something that keeps him out of more than a couple of games.

I like his prediction and I hope he's right, but I'm not betting the farm on it. Sorry.

solardave
06-12-2010, 06:30 AM
I agree with Galax. The season will tell if in fact we are thin at RB. The injury bug can hit any team and make them look thin. As far as 11-5 I don't agree. I think we go 12-4. I think we win 3 of 4 games and then Ben is back.

MULLDOG24
06-12-2010, 03:42 PM
I think you have a pretty good prediction LLT but I'm still holding out hope for #7. Seems when things look bleak thats when the Steelers overcome and surprise us all.

steelpride12
06-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Thin at RB no. Mendy, Moore, and Dywer I like that. Predictions are just opinions and never really mattered to me, but I have to agree 11 and 5 the Steelers go and 2 of the losses come when Ben is suspended.

SCSTILLER
06-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Can't really argue with what the man said. I think that bringing back McFadden will pay huge dividends, and Wallace will have us saying "Santonia who?" Let's hope anyways

Bluecoat96
06-12-2010, 07:31 PM

I agree 100% with you Galax. We will be just fine at running back.

Texasteel
06-12-2010, 07:49 PM
I think he is talking about if Mendy goes down, Galax. Don't know if Moore could step in as a starter if, God forbid, Mendy would have a season ending injury or something that keeps him out of more than a couple of games.

I like his prediction and I hope he's right, but I'm not betting the farm on it. Sorry.

I believe you and LLT are right. If Mendy were to go do for most or all of the season we could, most likely would be in a bit of a jam. The only hope we would really have is if Dwyer came on like gang busters. Hopefully that will not happen.

ALLD
06-12-2010, 08:23 PM

Frank Summers coming back from IR too makes this team anything but thin at RB. I would say the Skins are thin at RB because all they have are washed up retreads.

ALLD
06-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Can't really argue with what the man said. I think that bringing back McFadden will pay huge dividends, and Wallace will have us saying "Santonia who?" Let's hope anyways

Antonio Brown, rookie WR will have us saying Logan who too.

Dino 6 Rings
06-14-2010, 12:25 PM
why are we so concerned about the Running back? Did we get a new OC or something?

HA HA HA HA! Come on, I couldn't resist :peace:

steeldevil
06-14-2010, 01:07 PM
why are we so concerned about the Running back? Did we get a new OC or something?

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :deadhorse:

steelcityboyzs
06-14-2010, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about the running back position Mendy is pretty durable. WR i think is a strong point on the team.

Prok
06-14-2010, 04:09 PM

LOL

I think it's a funny joke but true as well. I think people that are looking for the big turn-around in the pass to run ratio are in for a bit of a letdown. We're pretty young at the RB position and pretty well off at the WR position despite the loss of Holmes. And Heath Miller is among the best recieving TE's in the game. It's true that the FO stressed running more effectively but this leapord ain't gonna change it's spots IMO.

GoSlash27
06-14-2010, 04:35 PM
"Thin at RB"?? We're so un-thin at RB we've got Isaac Redman on the freakin' practice squad! Where we're thin is at fullback.
*edit* of course, your RB depth doesn't matter if your OC won't use them.

Prok
06-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Not sure if that's directed at me or not. I said we're young at RB, not particularly thin.
My point is that we're not gonna morph into the early 90's Cowher offenses. And it's not BA's fault. We are who we are. We're pretty good at different things than those run oriented teams IMO.

GoSlash27
06-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Prok,
No, my comment wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the original article.

Prok
06-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Prok,
No, my comment wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the original article.

Ah, gotcha. See what i get for not reading the freakin' article ? LOL

:bolt:

SMR
06-14-2010, 06:23 PM
I agree 100% with you Galax. We will be just fine at running back.

I'm in the same boat. I am actually looking forward to the running game!:tt02::tt02::tt02:

GoSlash27
06-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Ah, gotcha. See what i get for not reading the freakin' article ? LOL
My fault. I shoulda quoted it. :drink: