PDA

View Full Version : Collier: Clock control is the key in Super Bowl

stillers4me
02-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Maybe it's because this particular swath of North Texas got converted to America's largest skating rink for most of the week, and maybe it's because of the incessant, minimally clever hockey references the ice has elicited from the grumbling media, but I've got Penguins on the brain, which is no known side effect to any of my medications.

The brain works in unusual ways under the influence of the Penguins, and it was in such a state that the one way the Steelers can win Super Bowl 45 somehow became clear to me.

It's also perhaps the only way.

The Penguins, you might be aware, try to adhere to a strategic philosophy by which they play defense with their offense, forechecking relentlessly so as to tire the opposition in its own end, leaving it less than effective when it does control the puck.
The football transposition then goes like this: Since the most productive player on either team is Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, the way you win Sunday night is to minimize Mr. Rodgers' participation, which is primarily the job, it says here, of Bruce Arians' offense.

The best possible start for the Steelers would be a duplication of the opening drive against the New York Jets two weeks ago, which lasted nine minutes and six seconds, in which 16 plays stretched into a 7-0 lead that would more than triple itself before halftime, and most important, during which Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards watched exactly 15 percent of the AFC championship game before they got off the sideline. They eventually would watch 58 percent of it, as the Steelers kept the ball for 34:41 of the game's 60 minutes..............

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11035/1122809-66.stm

Wheelz
02-04-2011, 05:56 AM
Great article.