PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: Noll following Steelers' run

stillers4me
02-03-2011, 05:46 AM
Chuck Noll turned 79 on Jan. 5, and he isn't doing particularly well these days.

But you better believe the man who coached the Steelers to their first four Super Bowl titles will be rooting hard for them to win No. 7 Sunday night at Cowboys Stadium.

"We're excited and wish we could be there," said Noll's wife, Marianne, speaking by phone Wednesday from their home in Bonita Springs, Fla. "We'll be watching."

Noll's health doesn't allow for much travel these days, and his wife said he is not available for interviews. Friends worry about a variety of health issues, although Marianne Noll acknowledged only her husband's "horrific" back condition. She said he is eagerly anticipating the arrival of his son, Chris, daughter-in-law, Linda and two grandchildren — Katie, 17, and Connor, 11 — from Connecticut to watch the game.
Just like old times, Marianne Noll will turn on all the televisions in the house. That is what she used to do when her husband's team played a road game.

"It helps ease the nerves because you can pace from room to room," she said, laughing. "I did it during the AFC Championship last week, and Chuck said, 'Why are you doing that?' "...................

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_721092.html

HometownGal
02-03-2011, 06:06 AM
Once a Steeler, always a Steeler! :tt02: :applaudit:

I hope whatever is ailing Coach Noll is corrected soon. :pray:

tube517
02-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Noll's 1970s teams, after all, achieved greatness on the backs of some excellent, Landry-coached outfits, beating them in two epic Super Bowls.

The Emperor is watching the dynasty he created carry on. Hope Coach Noll is able to enjoy the game and get better. Another one of the greatest of all time who never got coach of the year, and he had many occasions when he deserved it. :tt02:

SteelerSal
02-03-2011, 09:47 AM
I asked Marianne Noll to take me back to her husband's hiring, when he was the 37-year-old defensive coordinator of the Super Bowl runner-up Baltimore Colts in the winter of 1969.

He had other options. As Marianne recalled, "He was the hot ticket that year."

Why the Steelers? She paused, then said, "Chuck took that job because he felt (the Rooneys) wanted to win — sincerely and honestly wanted to win. That was enough for us. He and Dan, they were good together from the very beginning."

Read more: Starkey: Noll following Steelers' run - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_721092.html#ixzz1CuYWMsxy

Thanks coach for choosing the Steelers and setting such a high level of excellence that players and coaches after you try to and have been keeping.

Butch
02-04-2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks coach for choosing the Steelers and setting such a high level of excellence that players and coaches after you try to and have been keeping.

I was going to quote this exact same thing Sal.

The Emperor and The Chief were a blessing from the Football Gods!!! A match made in heaven when the Football Gods finally shined their light on Steeler Nation.

"I Believe!!!"