PDA

View Full Version : Kick or Receive ?

Moose
02-02-2011, 03:24 PM
I saw this question asked for discussion before and I thought the responses were pretty interesting. I'll be honest with you all, I haven't a clue which is better or why. To me it all depends on the opponents offense and defense naturally. If their defense isn't that good then receive and hopefully score early...and often as we did with the Jets. But if their defense is good, then it could be a 3 and out for us and a waste of a possession in a important game. If their offense is good, such as the Packers, and there is a damn good chance they will burn US early and often then receiving first could give the opponent the momentum for a long game. I'm confused on what to do.....good luck Coach Tomlin on this call for this game !! What say you ??? GO STEELERS !!!

HometownGal
02-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Kick definitely. In the event we are behind, the O will come out rested after the half and stick it to the Pack. Besides - other than the AFCC and a couple of other games this season, the Steelers have been more successful in the second half.

Merchant
02-02-2011, 03:30 PM
I would kick.. with their inexperience the Packers nerves will be at their peak early in the ballgame. The main concern is slowing down their high-octane offense, which could sputter if everyone's nervous at the beginning of the game. If we kick after half-time, Green Bay will get the ball after the shock has worn off.

Borski
02-02-2011, 03:38 PM
I preffer to have the ball at half time so I would rather kick the opening kickoff

Moose
02-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Hey HTG....I should have had you set this up as a 'poll' question LOL. Kicking first does make sense in alot of cases....especially knowing that halftime will be a longer and more time to make necessary changes and add some offensive plays that they wouldn't have time to make adjustments to. But, then again, they could be thinking the samething.....ugh ! decisions, decisions.

Devilsdancefloor
02-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Defer that way maybe we get a FG at the end of the half and we get the ball back for the 2nd half

BnG_Hevn
02-02-2011, 03:45 PM
I think it comes down to wanting the ball after making halftime adjustments so I'd kick.

Now, the NFLN pundits crucified Rex Ryan for deferring because the Steelers put together a 9 minute TD drive. If the Jets stop them with a 3 and out then the pundits would have sang a different tune.

VTsteel
02-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I guess I am in the minority on this one. I remember Bill Cowher saying he would never give up an offensive possesssion and kick the ball away. I forget what the exact quote was but it was something to the effect that giving up an offensive possession allows your opponent the opportunity to set the tempo, and or draw first blood. I believe this. Putting your defense on the field first (unless it is in OT w/ the new OT rules) is a bad idea.

Carolina Steelers
02-02-2011, 04:15 PM
I always say defer. With our great D 3 and out. Then we score. Its like having the ball 1st in both halfs

Texasteel
02-02-2011, 04:17 PM
I agree with most of you. I'd kick. I think both teams will be a little anxious to start the game. Besides if we are behind at the half I want the ball to start the half, if we are ahead, I want to keep the Packers offense on the sideline as much as possible.

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
pretty sure when we win we always defer, at least this year.

if we receiver, then we go on an 80 yard drive for 7 minutes and jam the ball down their stinking throats. its a win win for us either way.

stlrtruck
02-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Defer to the second half, let the packers choose. Which most likely they'd receive, and if that's the case, they always say, "Defense wins championships!" And what a better way to start the Super Bowl than to let your Defense score 6 points!

VTsteel
02-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Teams deferred kickoffs 74 times this season. In 50 of those games, the other team ended up getting points first.

And

Through Super Bowl XLIV, the team that has scored first has won 28 times and lost 16 times.

So, statistically speaking, it seems that getting the ball first and scoring would indicate a win.

Texasteel
02-02-2011, 04:40 PM
pretty sure when we win we always defer, at least this year.

if we receiver, then we go on an 80 yard drive for 7 minutes and jam the ball down their stinking throats. its a win win for us either way.

That's the key Dino, if we start with the ball in the 1st, or 2nd half, I hope we can put together a long time consuming drive that end in 7. Then a 3 and out for GB

polamalubeast
02-02-2011, 04:52 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/816/675/96485119.jpg.21510_crop_340x234.jpg?1265600128

Onside Kick

zulater
02-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Recieve, it's a dome, wind and weather conditions aren't of relevance.

zulater
02-02-2011, 04:54 PM
The Jets deffered in the AFC championship game, look what they got them.

Iron Steeler
02-02-2011, 04:58 PM
I definitely like having the ball at the start of the 3rd quarter... As long as we don't decide to slow down and go three and out conservative BS... SO KICK FIRST!

zulater
02-02-2011, 04:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=6060321

My latest pet peeve is coaches who defer the opening kickoff after winning the coin toss.

Jets coach Rex Ryan and Dolphins coach Tony Sparano are the league's biggest proponents of the strategy. What I can't figure out is why. Ryan did it eight times during the regular season and he ended up with the second-lowest first-quarter scoring totals in football. He tried it in the AFC title game at Heinz Field, and Ben Roethlisberger took it right back at Ryan with a nine-minute drive that resulted in a touchdown and a 7-0 lead.

Sparano's slow starts in games almost cost him his job.

Ryan figures the Jets are playing to their strengths by having their defense on the field at the start of games. Every offensive coach the Jets face has a 15-play script of what he wants to do early. Why give him the chance to run it when you control the action at the beginning of the game by winning the toss?

I went through the entire season of coin tosses. Teams deferred kickoffs 74 times this season. In 50 of those games, the other team ended up getting points first. The NFL is an offensive league. Why not take the ball and try to score?

Count Steeler
02-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Doesn't matter as long as we bring it all game long!

GoSlash27
02-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Kick.The Packers are liable to be all nervous and unsettled on their first drive. They'll be settled in by halftime.

steeldevil
02-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Kick it.

Count Steeler
02-02-2011, 05:39 PM
If we kick they probably start at about the 40. If we receive we probably start at our 25. Sure wish Sushi and the ST had a better kick coverage game.

Burghfan58
02-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Normally I say defer but I sure did like how they came out against the Jets and took 9 minutes off the clock and marched down the field for 7.

JayC
02-02-2011, 06:31 PM
it always gives me a good feeling at halftime when i know we get the ball first after the half. at the beginning of the game i don't really care. so, kick!

Craic
02-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Kick both times.

That way, when we beat them, there is NO excuses!

:sarcasm:

ALLD
02-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Defer. Have the D stop the Pack in the first series and then we grind down the field using up the clock for the entire first quarter. Then we are also the first to get the ball in the second half.