PDA

View Full Version : Would it be better for a close game or Steelers blow out early ? ....

BnG_Hevn
02-02-2011, 12:19 PM
If the Steelers go up big and early, wouldn't that basically force the Packers to start throwing and abandon the run? Would that benefit them more or our defense?

The Steelers scored 24 in first half against the Jets and although the Steelers may have milked the lead, the Jets still came back to give some trouble.

I guess the Steelers could have continued to move the ball if that was their goal, but if the weakness of the Steelers is the pass defense (mainly b/c teams give up on the run I know) then is it really a good idea to force the Packers into passing?

Obviously it can be reversed, but I'm being optimistic that the Steelers will win.

fansince'76
02-02-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm hoping for a complete blowout, and I'm talking about the mid-late 80s Bears vs. Pats/49ers vs. Broncos variety where the thing is basically over by the second quarter. I'm beyond sick and tired of listening to whiny butthurt assholes crying about how we were "gifted another Super Bowl by the refs," and I guarantee we'll hear it again if we win and the game is even remotely close.

venom
02-02-2011, 01:04 PM
I would like the game to be over by halftime . It will be best for my voice and my heart

VTsteel
02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
I too am hoping for a complete blow-out. The largest margin of victory in the History of the NFL sounds real good to me. While kinda unlikely (and somewhat uncharacteristic), it would be a real nice nugget for the Steelers and us fans.

That being said, I'll take a 21 point lead at the half . . . that would probably suffice.

tube517
02-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Blow out.....basically what 76 said above..also my BP is too high

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm hoping for a complete blowout, and I'm talking about the mid-late 80s Bears vs. Pats/49ers vs. Broncos variety where the thing is basically over by the second quarter. I'm beyond sick and tired of listening to whiny butthurt assholes crying about how we were "gifted another Super Bowl by the refs," and I guarantee we'll hear it again if we win and the game is even remotely close.

So true. I dont think it will happen, but a best case scenario would be to have Hood, Hamp and Da Beard stuff the rush lanes and put pressure on Rodgers so that he throws a pick 6 and we get a couple defensive TD's.

Then on offense, have Mendenhall, Redman, Moore run at will and mix up some play action like the 1st half of the Jets game. A good ole 45-9 game would stop the crying about bad calls by the refs and all that.

fansince'76
02-02-2011, 01:27 PM
So true. I dont think it will happen, but a best case scenario would be to have Hood, Hamp and Da Beard stuff the rush lanes and put pressure on Rodgers so that he throws a pick 6 and we get a couple defensive TD's.

Then on offense, have Mendenhall, Redman, Moore run at will and mix up some play action like the 1st half of the Jets game. A good ole 45-9 game would stop the crying about bad calls by the refs and all that.

I don't think it will happen either, but I can dream. I'm hoping we put two halves together like the 2nd half of the divisional game against the Ravens and the 1st half of the AFCCG, while the Packers play like they did in the 2nd half of the NFCCG.

Carolina Steelers
02-02-2011, 01:35 PM
I would love to be up by 21+ pts at half. just like the Jets game. I know the jets made a little run but a little to late the clock will be our friend. Just looking to relax at the start of the 4th qtr. so I can start putting my orders in for my SB XLV Gear and Memorabilia

Edman
02-02-2011, 01:40 PM
If XLV is close with the Steelers pulling it out near the end, you can damn well bet that there will be a load of detractors pulling out a play or a call here and there that contributed to the Packers losing. Remember, the Steelers don't win, they get everything from the refs.

They'll find SOMETHING to ***** about, but you know what? I don't care.

BlastFurnace
02-02-2011, 01:41 PM

Exactly! Not only will it be more enjoyable to watch, but it will cut down on all the ESPN and NFL Network guys acting like prosecuting attorney's after the game.

SteelerFanInStl
02-02-2011, 01:46 PM

I'd love to see that. I'm sure that the whiney assholes still wouldn't give the Steelers any credit though.

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2011, 01:51 PM
48-0 Steelers win

that would be best.

Texasteel
02-02-2011, 02:07 PM
I would very much love a total blow out. I'm talking 78 - 0 with Ben throwing for 600 yard and 10 TDs. I want Troy to have 5 ints. and James to have 10 sacks. I would like to see the packer players wondering on the side line in shock, the one's that could still walk anyway. I want to see tears in Shanon Sharpes eyes by half time, and Goodell proclaim Feb. 6 as a day of morning.

smokin3000gt
02-02-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm hoping for a blow out early on. It's the only way I am able to enjoy the game and not be stressed out to the max chewing my fingers off during a last minute come back!

steelpride12
02-02-2011, 02:38 PM
For who? The media wants a close knit game with the Pack coming out on top while me on the other hand of course wants a blow out early so my poor heart does not fail on me because if it were to it would def. be during a SB!

smokin3000gt
02-02-2011, 02:38 PM

You and me both brother. Yesterday a packers fan at the gym said that Pittsburgh will probably win the SB because the NFL wants us there. :doh:

Craic
02-02-2011, 02:49 PM
I could care less what anyone else thinks.

I want a blow out for 1 reason. I don't think my heart can take another 2008 SB.

fansince'76
02-02-2011, 02:52 PM
You and me both brother. Yesterday a packers fan at the gym said that Pittsburgh will probably win the SB because the NFL wants us there. :doh:

Yep, that's why our franchise QB was suspended for the first month of the season and our best LB was essentially picked on for the rest of it (while our aforementioned QB was once again allowed to get clubbed in the head, have his nose broken, and generally get the living shit kicked out of himself on a weekly basis with nary a flag) - because the league "wants us there." :coffee:

BTW, real clever ruse by Goodell shitting all over Ben again in the media this week, and in the process covering up the fact that he secretly "wants us there." :rolleyes:

Iron Steeler
02-02-2011, 02:54 PM
I dont care for a close game. Im a steelers fan, not afan of a good close game. LIGHT UP THE SCORE BOARD IF YOU CAN!!

fansince'76
02-02-2011, 02:56 PM
I could care less what anyone else thinks.

Me neither, but the BS does become somewhat tiresome a half a decade after the fact.

HometownGal
02-02-2011, 03:24 PM
While I don't see it happening, I'd love for the Steelers to go into Cowboys Stadium and blow the Pack back to Wisconsin. :tt02: However - if the game is close, as long as we are hoisting that 7th Lombardi, that's all that really matters. :pray:

GB doesn't have much of a rushing attack so most likely, we're going to have to deal with Rodgers arm and fancy footwork. I'm sure Papa Lebeau has some grand schemes worked up to counter Rodgers aireal attack.

Moose
02-02-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm completely dumbfounded why any Steeler fan would want a 'close' game !! To hell with what any other teams fans say afterwards. If we are raising that Lombardi that's all that matters. I'm with DINO.....48 - 0 works real well for me !! The cost of medication, booze and beer is awfully high these days, and I know you aren't supposed to take handfulls of pills with alcohol but these damn close games we have anymore seems to be what needs to be done. Again, my choice is a 48-0 STEELER WIN and being able to sit back in the chair....drink, snack and relax, oh yea, and listen to what all the 'talking heads' are coming up with about the cheese-its.

BnG_Hevn
02-02-2011, 03:54 PM
I think you all are missing my point. In a blow out, the Packers attack by passing which would give them a better chance of actually winning. Whereas a "close game" would keep them grounded and not be able to let loose b/c they have "nothing to lose".

Of course I'd rather have a blowout of monumental proportions in favor of the Steelers, but if at halftime it IS a blowout in favor of the Steelers AND the Packers are forced to pass (Steelers' defense supposed weakness) and are able to come back and make it close, that would drive me nuts.

On the other hand, if the Steelers are up by, say 10, and both teams keep grounded and the Steelers remain up by 10 or more, then my heart / blood pressure would be better for it.

If the Steelers are blowing them out at halftime forcing them the Packers to throw caution to the wind and they end up closing the gap and making it a nail-biter, well, I just may not survive it.

NJarhead
02-02-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm torn. I think we play better from behind than with a lead, but there again, I think the Packers might get panicky if they had to play from behind. Yea, give me the early lead.

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2011, 04:03 PM
When the Steelers go to the locker room at halftime with a 27 point lead, then they will focus on the First Super Bowl Shutout in History.

so then, 3 tds later, we finish the game, 48-0

its all very logically.

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm torn. I think we play better from behind than with a lead, but there again, I think the Packers might get panicky if they had to play from behind. Yea, give me the early lead.

the Packers all season have not played well at all from behind. I'm pretty sure they only one 1 game this year when trailing at halftime.

NJarhead
02-02-2011, 04:15 PM
the Packers all season have not played well at all from behind. I'm pretty sure they only one 1 game this year when trailing at halftime.

Like I said, I'll take an early lead and let them press about it. Normally, I'm wary about us being up with lots of game to go. I think that this is the one area though where SB experience will pay off.

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Like I said, I'll take an early lead and let them press about it. Normally, I'm wary about us being up with lots of game to go. I think that this is the one area though where SB experience will pay off.

agreed, we get up 11 points (our standard for winning) and they are gonna get real anxious and nervous over there real fast.

1-2 in games trailing at the half. 2 games were tied at the half, they went 0-2 in those. Not a solid come from behind team at all.

SMR
02-02-2011, 04:22 PM

I'm on the same boat. I do prefer a blowout. On the other hand, as long as we win- I'm happy especially since we are the "underdogs". Grrr.......

Count Steeler
02-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Just give me 60 minutes of good, hard Steelers football and I am positive we will win this game.

If we make mistakes and give up some turnovers, it will be another heart attack game.

GoSlash27
02-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Seems to me that we don't get to have blowouts. If we're whuppin' them at halftime, you just know we're gonna let them back in.

Craic
02-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Me neither, but the BS does become somewhat tiresome a half a decade after the fact.

Too true. But as a Steelers fan in the Bay Area California, I am still dealing with The illegality of the Immaculate Reception! :chuckle:

ALLD
02-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Blow them out, kick their collective asses and take names.

86WARD
02-02-2011, 07:22 PM

I would like the game to be over by halftime . It will be best for my voice and my heart

48-0 Steelers win

that would be best.

ALL OF THIS ABOVE...^^^

stillers4me
02-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Yesterday on sirius, they had someone there talking about how alot of stuff people are saying about Rogers and the Packers is just wrong. He went into the real stats.The one I remember is how few games the Pack wins when Rogers is sacked 3 or more times ( very low amout of wins) versus how many games Ben wins even if he is sacked over 5 times a game. I can't remember the exact numbers but they where really eye opening. The point was, that Rogers can be rattled and Ben can't . He comes right back and smacks you in the mouth and Rogers can't.

beSteelmyheart
02-02-2011, 08:00 PM
C-mon, people!! You know it's going to be another heart attack no matter what we hope for! It ain't easy bein a Steelers fan! (we just make it look that way)

Shawn
02-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Just win baby win. 49-0, 7-6, it's all the same to me as long as we hoist that trophy.

Delraich
02-02-2011, 08:17 PM
I actually like the closer games. The last Super Bowl with the Harrison pick6 before the half and then the drive to win the game still makes me swell up inside with emotion. If it had been a blow out then I'd think of it as just another Super Bowl. I also believe in Big Ben and I think he is maybe the greatest of all time when the game comes down to the last drive.