PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben's just a pawn for Goodell

Just George
02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
You can blame Brett Favre and Michael Vick for Roger Goodell’s brutally unfair treatment of Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/ben-roethlisberger/200315).

Goodell, the self-appointed NFL discipline czar, is using Big Ben as a shield in a behind-the-scenes battle to prove the commissioner’s office is not sexist or racist.

Peter King’s reputation is just unfortunate collateral damage in Goodell’s public-relations war.

I can’t fathom another reasonable explanation for the commish battering Big Ben in January for “crimes” the Pittsburgh QB committed nearly a year ago and was punished for at the beginning of the regular season.

The only other explanation is Goodell is stupid, and I’m not ready to buy that excuse.
In case you missed it, in an exclusive interview with King on Jan. 7, Goodell unloaded a helmet-to-helmet, blindside hit on Roethlisberger. Goodell estimated he talked to two dozen NFL players before giving Roethlisberger a six-game suspension for being accused (not charged) a second time of sexual assault and “not one, not a single player, went to (Roethlisberger’s) defense.”

King initially implied that Goodell meant that “not one Pittsburgh Steeler” came to Roethlisberger’s defense. King later clarified his report.

It doesn’t matter. Goodell made his point. A month before the Super Bowl, in a story Goodell surely knew would be published Super Bowl week, the commissioner took one final potshot at his punching-bag quarterback. In the same interview, Goodell poured another round of sympathy on Michael Vick, a star QB who was actually convicted of and jailed for a crime.

Why?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ben-roethlisberger-just-a-pawn-in-roger-goodells-game-020211

GBMelBlount
02-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Stay classy Goodell. :thumbsup:

Edman
02-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Yep, that's pretty much the truth.

Ben is Goodell's Wild Card to his critics. See? White Players aren't above the Goodell Law! I rule with an iron fist!

But tell that to Eric Foster, Mark Sanchez, and Mr. Favre. The same Mark Sanchez, the Golden Cali Boy from USC whose Sexual Assault allegations at USC was promptly swept under the rug before the draft and afterwards.

The Super Bowl Story is pretty much this: The Good Ol' Boy Packers vs the Evil Steelers and their troublemaking Quarterback and that league menace of a linebacker James Harrison. The Steelers are the villain, while the Packers are the Good Guys. It's like XLIII, but worse.

7SteelGal43
02-02-2011, 02:36 PM
The Super Bowl Story is pretty much this: The Good Ol' Boy Packers vs the Evil Steelers and their troublemaking Quarterback and that league menace of a linebacker James Harrison. The Steelers are the villain, while the Packers are the Good Guys. It's like XLIII, but worse.

I've gotten that sense from watching certain broadcasters and reading some reports. However, I've noticed a great number (including Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin) giving much love to Ben and saying "Brady and Manning type stats don't matter, Ben just wins". I think you're right though, as far as the league offices, the Good Guys (Packers) vs the Bad Guys (Steelers) is a picture they are trying to paint. Well I got a message for ya....Good Guys wear white (jerseys) :tt02:

EDIT: Not just givin' love 'cause he just wins but sayin "Ben acted stupidly but there's no conviction, he's made amends, let it go". Marshall Faulk doesn't think it should still be a topic. He's such a tool.

HometownGal
02-02-2011, 03:39 PM

Aint that the pathetic truth? :doh:

I know how the story goes, but in this case, the Good Guys do finish last. :tt03:

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2011, 04:00 PM
this actually seems to be true...not being coddled for a 2nd time after a 2nd allegation and bad decision involving a young woman, may have actually forced the Boy Ben to become a Man Ben.

"Maybe “not one” player coming to Big Ben’s defense is part of the reason he’s in his third Super Bowl, has healed his relationship with his teammates and appears to be working toward becoming a better human being."

zulater
02-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Great column by Jason Whitlock!

Texasteel
02-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Yep, the Steelers come in and chase all the women, and drink all the booze while the Packers sit in thier rooms and read the Bible. Mean while the commissioner decides to explain why he hates the Steeler QB.

Bad part is I really like GB, but I still hope they loose by 50.

tube517
02-02-2011, 05:02 PM
I noticed Pee on and Irving giving love to Ben. Don't count Steve Young in that group, though. He never gives props to Ben and he is buddies w/Aaron Rodgers

I've gotten that sense from watching certain broadcasters and reading some reports. However, I've noticed a great number (including Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin) giving much love to Ben and saying "Brady and Manning type stats don't matter, Ben just wins". I think you're right though, as far as the league offices, the Good Guys (Packers) vs the Bad Guys (Steelers) is a picture they are trying to paint. Well I got a message for ya....Good Guys wear white (jerseys) :tt02:

EDIT: Not just givin' love 'cause he just wins but sayin "Ben acted stupidly but there's no conviction, he's made amends, let it go". Marshall Faulk doesn't think it should still be a topic. He's such a tool.

SMR
02-02-2011, 06:46 PM

Unless you are saying about Faulk with sarcasm, I don't see how he could be "such a tool" when he doesn't think Ben's situation should still be a topic. Please explain. (Yes, I'm a bit buzzing/almost drunk right now) s o please expalin to me.