PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger not surprised by SI retraction

stillers4me
02-02-2011, 05:09 AM
Ben Roethlisberger said Tuesday he was not surprised to learn that a Sports Illustrated reporter issued a retraction after writing a story questioning whether the Steelers quarterback had the support of his teammates.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated said he erroneously changed a quote attributed to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in his widely read "Monday Morning Quarterback."
Goodell, according to the original report on SI.com, said he had talked to more than 20 Steelers players after Roethlisberger was accused of sexual assault in March and that none had backed the quarterback.

King put "Steelers" in parentheses in the quote when in fact Goodell had been talking about players around the NFL. King said he thought Goodell was referring to the Steelers after interviewing him Jan. 7 for a profile scheduled to run this week............

.....................Steelers coach Mike Tomlin seemed more amused by the story than anything, even after the retraction.

"I was surprised why the commissioner would expect 24 players who don't play for the Steelers to support Ben," Tomlin said. "Those guys are competitors. I would imagine they would have wanted the commissioner to throw the book at Ben. That's funny to me."

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_720916.html

Butch
02-02-2011, 05:50 AM
"I was surprised why the commissioner would expect 24 players who don't play for the Steelers to support Ben," Tomlin said. "Those guys are competitors. I would imagine they would have wanted the commissioner to throw the book at Ben. That's funny to me."

EXACTLY!!! He took the words right outta my mouth!!!

Go To Hell Godell is a fool and I hope that the owners are starting to see that as well and get rid of this ass clown!!!

SMR
02-02-2011, 04:29 PM

Go To Hell Godell is a fool and I hope that the owners are starting to see that as well and get rid of this ass clown!!!

Tomlin ain't no fool. He tells it like it is! Sooooooo glad he's the coach of the Black n' Gold!

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

Texasteel
02-02-2011, 04:47 PM

This is what I thought first thing, and it seems to be getting lost. Why the hell does this moron continue to pretend that he went into an in depth investigation and tried so hard to be fair, when every time he opens his mouth it looks more and more like a witch hunt.

zulater
02-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Personally I think Goodell was caught in a lie, but Peter King is doing some CYA for his friend and source.

Gee I wonder how many players around the league Goodell interviewed in relation to Brett Favre- Jenn Sterger?

Some are trying to spin it that Goodell is lying to protect the Steelers who talked to him, but it's bullshit, Farrior and many others in that locker room supported Ben all along.

BlastFurnace
02-02-2011, 05:02 PM
The article by Jason Whitlock said it all today. If you haven't read it, it's a perfect explanation of what Goodell is doing with Ben. No one is excusing Ben's behavior in Georgia, but what is not being talked about is Goodell's ethics in handling Ben.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/6432-Big-Ben-s-just-a-pawn-for-Goodell

The NFL should be embarassed by the way it's "Commissioner" has handled himself and his inconsistency all year long.

Texasteel
02-02-2011, 05:06 PM
You know, there is an old saying about giving someone enough rope. Let GODell blow off at the mouth. I think a lot more people are starting to see this situation for what it is.

ALLD
02-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Another gutless attempt by the NFL to derail the Steelers. It will be funny when there is a lockout and Goodell gets the credit for trying to maintain the integrity of the sport, although technically there will be no games played. The owners are fools if they keep that clown.