PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward wants Plaxico Burress back

polamalubeast
02-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Several years ago, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said that he’d like to add a tall receiver to his arsenal of targets. Receiver Hines Ward didn’t appreciate the remark.

“I don’t hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that,” Ward said at the time. “I don’t buy into height. Look at my red-zone touchdowns. I have as many as anyone in the league.”

Now, look who’s asking for a tall receiver.

According to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News (via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News), Ward said Tuesday that he wants the Steelers to sign Plaxico Burress once he is released from jail.

Burress was drafted by the Steelers in 2000. He signed with the Giants in 2005.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/01/hines-ward-wants-plaxico-burress-back/

Dino 6 Rings
02-01-2011, 04:38 PM
from what I remember, after losing the AFC Title game to the Patriots in the 04 season, sitting in the locker room, Plax said something along the line of "I need to get out of here, these guys will never win"

He pretty much quit on the Steelers right then. Not sure we'd take him back...but...that said...it would be a gigantic redemption story. Plus, in 3 years when we bring back Santo to fair catch punts...it'll be like a family reunion all around.

Doc
02-01-2011, 04:40 PM
PFT...i know they are on NBC now and whatnot...still find it hard to believe a word that comes from that site..

fansince'76
02-01-2011, 04:54 PM
from what I remember, after losing the AFC Title game to the Patriots in the 04 season, sitting in the locker room, Plax said something along the line of "I need to get out of here, these guys will never win"

Along with the rest of his bitch-and-pout fest because he "ain't gettin' enough touches," conveniently after dropping what would have been a TD catch. Besides, I thought Pittsburgh was too "racist" for him anyway.

No thanks. Let him go play for Jerry Jones or Al Davis. The Steelers have done just fine without him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2011, 05:12 PM
I'd have no problem with him now. I bet prison helps to put things in perspective.

Imagine the speed of Wallace, Brown, Sanders with the size of Burress. Besides, I thought everybody deserves a 2nd chance.

SteelerFanInStl
02-01-2011, 05:19 PM
No thanks. Let him go play for Jerry Jones or Al Davis. The Steelers have done just fine without him.

I agree. The Steelers don't need him and his 'me first' attitude.

BPS3akaWirels3
02-01-2011, 05:23 PM
When is Burress out of jail anyways??

ALLD
02-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Lynn Swann has a better chance of coming back than Plax.

tube517
02-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Hines needs Plax to help "protect" him when he goes to the strip clubs

Merchant
02-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Uhh.. how do I put this gently...

NO

Count Steeler
02-01-2011, 06:04 PM
I heard Plax was coming out soon, and the thought occurred to me, "hmm, wonder if the Steelers are interested". Always room for the prodigal son at my table.

fansince'76
02-01-2011, 06:06 PM
When is Burress out of jail anyways??

This June, I think.

Count Steeler
02-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Another thought. Why is Hines promoting this? Is he trying to tell us he will come back for at least 1 more season? Does he want to go for #4? Is he looking forward to coaching Plax?

BigNastyDefense
02-01-2011, 06:10 PM
I have a better chance of walking into work tomorrow and getting promoted to General Manager at the car dealership I work at than Burress does of getting signed by the Steelers.

He couldn't get out of town fast enough in 2005. I don't want him back.

fansince'76
02-01-2011, 06:26 PM
PFT...i know they are on NBC now and whatnot...still find it hard to believe a word that comes from that site..

Yeah, I'm skeptical, to say the least.

According to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News (via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News), Ward said Tuesday that he wants the Steelers to sign Plaxico Burress once he is released from jail.And according to the mother of my brother-in-law's aunt's 3rd cousin (twice removed), Ben is a jerk. :blah:

Besides, we just shipped out a shorter version of basically the same headcase for not much more than a six pack of Budweiser and a box of Cracker Jacks.

Merchant
02-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Sweed is our big, tall Wide Receiver :chuckle:

tube517
02-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Florio and Peter King belong to the same school of accurate NFL reporting.

And according to the mother of my brother-in-law's aunt's 3rd cousin (twice removed), Ben is a jerk. :blah:

smokin3000gt
02-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Feck burress and and his punk attitude.

43Hitman
02-01-2011, 06:42 PM
I'd have no problem with him now. I bet prison helps to put things in perspective.

Imagine the speed of Wallace, Brown, Sanders with the size of Burress. Besides, I thought everybody deserves a 2nd chance.

I agree. I'm not happy with the way he left, and who knows, maybe being in the clink did him some good. I know Searcy regretted leaving the Burgh after the fact, and has said if had a chance to do it all over again, he would have stayed. We have given Ben a second chance, and he was accused of much worse.

Merchant
02-01-2011, 07:00 PM

This is how Dallas and Cincinnati think, and look where it's gotten them. It is tempting when a player of Plaxico's talent is on the market, but it's an unnecessary risk. It's not the Steeler way. Besides, is anybody out there actually unhappy with our WR situation :noidea:

86WARD
02-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Ward didn't "say" he wanted Plax back...lol.

This was his quote: "I know he’s getting out pretty soon. For all I know, we’ll end up getting Plax on our team. He’ll be welcomed with open arms. ... An unfortunate incident, and I prayed for him a lot. I had some good years with Plax."

Psycho Ward 86
02-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Ward didn't "say" he wanted Plax back...lol.

This was his quote: "I know he’s getting out pretty soon. For all I know, we’ll end up getting Plax on our team. He’ll be welcomed with open arms. ... An unfortunate incident, and I prayed for him a lot. I had some good years with Plax."

Reporters....gotta love 'em when they scrape the barrel for shit to write about lol

SteelerSal
02-01-2011, 08:11 PM
.Burress might just be what this team needs to get over the hump and actually become a Superbowl contender.....oh wait....never mind. :lol:

Shoes
02-01-2011, 08:13 PM
.Burress might just be what this team needs to get over the hump and actually become a Superbowl contender.....oh wait....never mind. :lol:

:toofunny: :toofunny:

steeldawg
02-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Plex is 34 i would rather draft a young big reciever but if we announced we were signing him i would be happy with it.

NCSteeler
02-02-2011, 12:40 AM

And according to the mother of my brother-in-law's aunt's 3rd cousin (twice removed), Ben is a jerk. :blah:

Besides, we just shipped out a shorter version of basically the same headcase for not much more than a six pack of Budweiser and a box of Cracker Jacks.

your related to Jeremy??

Anyhow, seems the guy burned his bridges on the way out of town. I seriously doubt the Rooneys would sign a guy that left talking the team down, talking the city down.

Craic
02-02-2011, 12:57 AM
This is how Dallas and Cincinnati think, and look where it's gotten them. It is tempting when a player of Plaxico's talent is on the market, but it's an unnecessary risk. It's not the Steeler way. Besides, is anybody out there actually unhappy with our WR situation :noidea:

Difference is, Cinci and Dallas did not take in a player that was already with them... and also had been to jail (where hopefully he had a little straightening out). At 35 or so when he would be playing, I am not too excited about him being here. However, seeing as we shouldn't draft any more WR's this year-too many other needs, I'd have no problem with him coming back and battling Randle El and Sweed for the 5th spot. Heck, if nothing else, it just may be what Sweed needs to get a fire lit under him. :chuckle:

HometownGal
02-02-2011, 06:46 AM
I'm very happy with the WR's we presently have thank you very much.

Though Plex does deserve a chance to redeem himself, let him have that redemption somewhere else.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2011, 10:37 AM

Burress was a model citizen since going to the Giants and winning a super bowl. What did he really do??? Shot himself in the leg. If he did that in Houston he would have never seen the inside of a prison, but the New York state gun laws are different.

Saying I got no problem with the guy being a Steeler again and think he would be an asset. I think that is what Hines Ward is allegedly saying too.

Mike Vick shooting dogs is worse IMO than Plax shooting himself by mistake. Things have turned out pretty good for the Eagles inviting Vick back, so not exactly the Bengals or Cowboys way of doing things.

T&B fan
02-02-2011, 10:44 AM

:grin::grin::chuckle:

:clap2::clap2::chuckle:

best so far :clap2::clap2::chuckle::chuckle:

he may have a few good yrs in him but IMO someplace other then here ..

st33lersguy
02-02-2011, 12:32 PM
No thank you, he was an average player

BlastFurnace
02-02-2011, 01:46 PM
If Ward doesn't retire, the first 4 spots are taken as it is. At Best, Plex would be the #5 on the team, which means that he would need to brush up on his Special Teams play.

Based upon how good Battle has played on ST this year, he will probably stick around for next year. There is no room for Plex.

Edman
02-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Plax wanted out of Pittsburgh after 2004, and he slammed the Steelers and the City of Pittsburgh afterwards while in New York. I haven't forgotten that.

As far as redemption stories, it would be nice to see...somewhere else. Sorry, Plax. You're not wanted here. I think Pittsburgh and the Steelers Organization treated you well here, but you turned your back on us when the going got tough. The Steelers just got rid of a headcase like you months ago, I think they won't be eager to sign you back.

NJarhead
02-02-2011, 02:22 PM
PFW...PFFT! I noticed they didn't have a direct quote. Hmmmm

fansince'76
02-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Burress was a model citizen since going to the Giants and winning a super bowl. What did he really do??? Shot himself in the leg. If he did that in Houston he would have never seen the inside of a prison, but the New York state gun laws are different.

He was fined 40-50 times by the Giants prior to shooting himself in the leg. Far from a model citizen. Did jail straighten him out? Maybe, but I'd prefer to let another team find that out. Once again, the Steelers have gotten along just fine without him.

Steeldude
02-03-2011, 02:23 AM
let's see...

burress is a headcase.

he has no idea how to use his height to his advantage.

he has average hands and speed.

he is old.

his fundamentals are poor to average.

throw a pass over the middle and he will alligator-arm it.

zulater
02-03-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm very happy with the WR's we presently have thank you very much.

Though Plex does deserve a chance to redeem himself, let him have that redemption somewhere else.

Agreed, and agreed!

Burghman
02-03-2011, 11:13 AM
What ever happened to him?

Burghman
02-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Just say NO to Plax.

43Hitman
02-03-2011, 11:43 AM
What ever happened to him?

He's on IR with an Achilles injury and has one year left on his contract. He gets one more shot in camp then its adios.