PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu Wins AP Defensive Player of the Year Award: Some Highlights

stillers4me
02-01-2011, 06:14 AM
There were some initial reports Monday evening that Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews had been named the AP’s Defensive Player of the year. Those reports were wrong. The winner, as it turns out, is Steelers safety Troy Polamalu as he received 17 of the 50 votes. Matthews received 15 and came in second, while James Harrison finished in third place with eight votes. So there you go, the top three defensive players in the NFL, according to the AP, will be taking the field Sunday evening.

I’m actually a little surprised to see Harrison get as many votes as he did, not because he didn’t deserve it (honestly, I think you can make an argument that he had a better season than Troy) but because of the mid-season witch hunt that seemed to be following him around. Either way, he won the award back in 2008 (the last time the Steelers were in the Super Bowl) and has another top-three finish on his resume. For Troy, it’s his first time taking it home. And while it’s not the award he wants to win this week, it’s certainly deserved. He finished the season with seven interceptions (tied for second in the league), a sack, five tackles for loss, 11 pass defenses, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and a touchdown.

And now: Some of Troy’s best moments of the season (so far) in no particular order….......

Watch the highlights @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/01/troy-polamalu-wins-ap-defensive-player-year-award-highlights/#more-4050