PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Mendenhall on cusp of stardom

stillers4me
02-01-2011, 05:43 AM
Franco Harris is the Steelers' all-time leading rusher and a Hall of Famer. Jerome Bettis is second on the list and could join Harris in Canton by the end of the week.

The two faces of the Steelers franchise when it comes to the running game have something else in common: They are extremely impressed with what 23-year-old Rashard Mendenhall has done in his first season as the team's full-time starting running back.

"I take my hat off to him this year," Harris said. "He has worked with a patchwork line all year, and that is a tough thing to do and be successful doing it."

Despite the obstacle of having four different starters along the offensive line since minicamp was held eight months ago, Mendenhall has thrived as the Steelers approach Super Bowl XLV.

He rushed for 1,273 yards in the regular season, which ranked seventh best in franchise history, and his 13 rushing touchdowns were bettered only by Harris' 14 in 1976.

That's a far cry from Mendenhall getting sidelined early in his rookie season with a broken shoulder, and getting benched for a game against Cincinnati last year for not knowing the playbook.....................

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_720712.html

HometownGal
02-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Mendy is well on his way to becoming a Top 5 rusher in the league imho. Look at what he did with such a mish-mash of an OL this season - imagine what he can do when our OL is whole again.

If Colon is re-signed, I really hope they can find a spot for The Hotel on the line. :pray:

Devilsdancefloor
02-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Mendy is well on his way to becoming a Top 5 rusher in the league imho. Look at what he did with such a mish-mash of an OL this season - imagine what he can do when our OL is whole again.

If Colon is re-signed, I really hope they can find a spot for The Hotel on the line. :pray:

Im hoping if hotel stays we find ourselves with willie signed and playing RG! Mendy has impressed me this year!

Dino 6 Rings
02-01-2011, 09:58 AM
I'd like to see a 205 yard 3 touchdown MVP Game out of Mendy this Sunday.

That will do.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2011, 10:23 AM
I still stand by my belief that he was the #2 RB prospect taken in his draft year.

But, I was wrong in thinking Jonathan Stewart was #1 and that Chris Johnson was down the ladder as just a speed guy that wont run inside. Now if we can just get him a nice complimentary back to share the load with next season.

salamander
02-01-2011, 10:26 AM

That will do.

Impossible... John Kuhhnnnn is gonna run for at least 500 yards and 5 td's. :heh:

Honestly though, I commend Mendy for what he's been able to accomplish. :thumbsup:

Fordy
02-01-2011, 10:42 AM

That will do.

With the Packers suspect run defense that isnt out of the realm of possibility.

Dino 6 Rings
02-01-2011, 11:32 AM

I tend to agree, I think we can dominate them at the point of attack on offense, use Johnson as Fullback in motion to open up huge holes with the guard pulling and run between the tackles on these guys, pound it down their throat, then the second one of their safeties or nickle drops into the box...(here comes my favorite post)

Throw it really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really Deep to Wallace!

polamalubeast
02-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Throw it really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really Deep to Wallace!

and Brown too!

Dino 6 Rings
02-01-2011, 11:44 AM
and Brown too!

shhhhhhh....he's secret...shhhhhhhhh ignore AB....he's behind the curtain :)

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2011, 11:51 AM

I have a tough time thinking that Legursky is gonna control the line of scrimmage and improve the run game. Something tells me that off tackle behind Flozell and Heath Miller is gonna be big.

I think Ben has to be greater than in both of his 2 previous super bowls to win this one. If Ben R is the MVP of the game...we are all gonna be really happy.

Psycho Ward 86
02-01-2011, 03:38 PM
The big thing about Mendenhall is upside. He's freakin' 23. With the monster production he's having right now, it's scary for other teams to think about what kind of ceiling this kid is gonna have. No runningback hits the high point of his career at age 23.

Count Steeler
02-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Mendy impressed me last week because he ran with a purpose and a vigor that punishes defensive secondaries. Want to throw some deep balls, let the corners and safeties tackle Mendy a couple of times first. Get them bruised up and then let the ball rip.

ALLD
02-01-2011, 04:10 PM
He can also catch out of the backfield.

Dino 6 Rings
02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
I smell MVP for Mendy this year. NO ONE is talking him up at all. Complete Disrespect.

with him running with purpose, grinding the Packers into the dust, I can see us completely taking this game over, putting all the pressure on Rodgers...and then Flynn after we knock out Rodgers...and then poor Graham Harrell...coming in for the broken Flynn...

Galax Steeler
02-02-2011, 04:09 AM
Mendenhall seems to be coming into his own right now and what a time to be doing it. Hopefully he will turn it loose again this week.

venom
02-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Mendy vs the 18th Rank Rush Def .... could be interesting