PDA

View Full Version : Peter King issues apology/clarification on Goodell comments

Wheelz
02-01-2011, 05:30 AM
I inserted the word "Steelers'' in parentheses, though Goodell had not told me specifically he meant to refer to two dozen Steelers players.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/super-bowl-2011/01/31/clarification/index.html#ixzz1Chp4nbqq

stillers4me
02-01-2011, 05:35 AM
So they talked to opposing players when deciding Ben's punishment? How...freaking....stupid. Of course, they painted Ben in good light. No reason ot want him off the field for a few games. :upyours:

SMR
02-01-2011, 07:09 AM
So they talked to opposing players when deciding Ben's punishment? How...freaking....stupid. Of course, they painted Ben in good light. No reason ot want him off the field for a few games. :upyours:

Exactly. Grrrrr.........

HometownGal
02-01-2011, 07:16 AM

Exactly.

Hopefully this Sunday evening, Ben will shove this "clarification" :jerkit: up King's ass, along with the puckered hineys of Goodumbell and all of those who wanted to crucify him before the season began.

fansince'76
02-01-2011, 07:22 AM
So Goodell threw his weight around a bit and King has "apologized" for it as a result. Means nothing to me.

X-Terminator
02-01-2011, 07:38 AM
It's like I've said before - Goodell isn't qualified to run the cash register at your local 7-Eleven, let alone commissioner of a major professional sports league. King isn't entirely blameless because he did botch the quote, but it doesn't change that important fact.

Michael
02-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Why is Goodell talking to Peter King about not connecting with Ben and the opinion of dozens of football players be it in the NFL or on the Steeler team?

Its hard to believe Peter King would make a mistake by inserting the (Steelers) in the sentence without Goodell saying it. King writes for a living and no matter why he wrote this he looks very bad in this situation. I always thought he was a dork.

Safe conclusion re: both . They are dishonest and incompetent which means they are well qualified to be a modern day politicians. Disgusting! In my opinion Ben is a better is a better man than either one of these clowns. He is certainly is better at his job than the other two .

Lets get on with the game and let the B S stop.

Texasteel
02-01-2011, 08:25 AM
So not only did he's let apposing players decide Ben's fate, but obviously didn't talk to any Steeler players, the ones that know him best.

Just how is this suppose to make be feel better about this jackass.

tube517
02-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Peter King is a dork. Remember he loves Marsha and said Rashard wasn't a "big game back" before the AFCC game. Goodhell and King are ass clowns, I hate both of them.

Why is Goodell talking to Peter King about not connecting with Ben and the opinion of dozens of football players be it in the NFL or on the Steeler team?

Its hard to believe Peter King would make a mistake by inserting the (Steelers) in the sentence without Goodell saying it. King writes for a living and no matter why he wrote this he looks very bad in this situation. I always thought he was a dork.

Safe conclusion re: both . They are dishonest and incompetent which means they are well qualified to be a modern day politicians. Disgusting! In my opinion Ben is a better is a better man than either one of these clowns. He is certainly is better at his job than the other two .

Lets get on with the game and let the B S stop.

Doc
02-01-2011, 08:56 AM
~yawn~....Let's kick this thing off already.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Did any of you watch NFL Network last night???

Deion Sanders spoke of a chat he had with Hines Ward earlier this season(I think around the thursday night game with Carolina) and Ward told Deion..."he had to sit Big Ben down and tell him; you have to be teammates with everybody in this locker room, not just cliques of some guys. Ben listened and since then has worked to be teammates with the whole locker room and those guys have embraced him in return".

I dont think its out of the realm of possibility that some of the Steelers players were not gonna blindly back Ben after the incident. I also dont think its impossible to believe that some other NFL team players supported Ben (probably Ray Lewis) and other didnt.

Texasteel
02-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Apparently during the commissioners pain staking investigation he couldn't find to many, Steeler or otherwise.

Burghman
02-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Ben needs/needed an attitude adjustment and Gooddumbass needs to resign!

steeldawg
02-01-2011, 09:53 AM
did he do the same thing thing for all of the players who had off field incidents this season or was he just on a witch hunt. Furthmore why would it matter if 12 or 24 players around the league like Ben or not, I mean cromartie just told everyon Brady's an asshole should be investigating Brady for a suspension? Jay cutler was just ripped to shreds on twitter by his peers should roger be looking into that?

Dino 6 Rings
02-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I have faith in the fact our Lockeroom is united and solid going into the game.

not worried about off the field crap at this point.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2011, 10:07 AM
cromartie just told everyon Brady's an asshole should be investigating Brady for a suspension? Jay cutler was just ripped to shreds on twitter by his peers should roger be looking into that?

I think he's trying to prioritize investigations and suspensions accordingly. "Name Callling" is probably less of a threat to the public image of the NFL, than players accused of sexual assault multiple times.

Its hopefully in the past and Steeler fans should try and let it go if they want to avoid it. Its gonna be a media story this week because of Super Bowl, but then drift into the background by the time training camp comes up next season. My whole opinion is that this is a valid story and its something the Steelers have to deal with during the week....I think Tomlin's statements were right on.

Texasteel
02-01-2011, 10:41 AM
I think he's trying to prioritize investigations and suspensions accordingly. "Name Callling" is probably less of a threat to the public image of the NFL, than players accused of sexual assault multiple times.

Its hopefully in the past and Steeler fans should try and let it go if they want to avoid it. Its gonna be a media story this week because of Super Bowl, but then drift into the background by the time training camp comes up next season. My whole opinion is that this is a valid story and its something the Steelers have to deal with during the week....I think Tomlin's statements were right on.

Unfortunately it will not be in the past until the media decide to let it move on, and I doubt if they let it move on as long as they can get any play out of it at all. Just the nature of the beast my friend.

SteelerFanInStl
02-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Just another sign of how incompetent Goodell is. I didn't know that it was a requirement in the NFL to be friendly to opposing players. Do you think that Lambert signed opposing players jerseys? I seriously doubt it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Unfortunately it will not be in the past until the media decide to let it move on, and I doubt if they let it move on as long as they can get any play out of it at all. Just the nature of the beast my friend.

Yes and I dont think there is anything wrong with that.

We all forgot that Ray Lewis obstructed a murder investigation, Leonard Little drinks and drives, Christian Peter had multiple assault accusations, Ryan Tucker left a paralyzed a guy, and the list goes on. The Millidgeville thing will fade to grey sooner than you think.

Chidi29
02-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes and I dont think there is anything wrong with that.

We all forgot that Ray Lewis obstructed a murder investigation, Leonard Little drinks and drives, Christian Peter had multiple assault accusations, Ryan Tucker left a paralyzed a guy, and the list goes on. The Millidgeville thing will fade to grey sooner than you think.

I totally agree. If the media is going to go crazy over something as trivial as the Packers' team photo, you know questions will come up with what happened to Ben.

His incident has pretty much faded in Pittsburgh during the season. Like you said, it will do the same nationally. Just as we forget Brett Favre was addicted to painkillers; with time, the good memories rise to the surface for players with successful careers.

Dino 6 Rings
02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
play with anger and hate and let all this frustration out on Sunday!

Butch
02-01-2011, 01:38 PM
The problem is as many have pointed out what in the Hell is Go To Hell Godel doing using opposing players to determine if he should suspend a player??? Who in the Hell are these secret 12??? 6 from N.E. and 6 from baltimore maybe throw in T.O. and chad as well???

I can only say one thing for King he's the only one who picked us to win the superbowl so at least he has moments of enlightenment.

You may be on to something here more important to persecute a player based on an accusation than to persecute a team/player caught red handed cheating or in a strip club or texting naked pictures. Have to protect the shield after all.

Piss on Go To Hell Godel!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2011, 02:24 PM
The problem is as many have pointed out what in the Hell is Go To Hell Godel doing using opposing players to determine if he should suspend a player??? Who in the Hell are these secret 12??? 6 from N.E. and 6 from baltimore maybe throw in T.O. and chad as well???

I can only say one thing for King he's the only one who picked us to win the superbowl so at least he has moments of enlightenment.

You may be on to something here more important to persecute a player based on an accusation than to persecute a team/player caught red handed cheating or in a strip club or texting naked pictures. Have to protect the shield after all.

Piss on Go To Hell Godel!!!

Take a look at the below quotes and maybe the attached story. Ben knows he did something wrong. Art Rooney II knows it. Ben's teammates know it. Maybe its time for you to do what they are........dont deny, but accept it and move on.

Whitfield recalls watching Roethlisberger as the quarterback's life was being parsed on the airwaves. Roethlisberger listened to the commentary, then shrugged. "I put myself in this situation," he told Whitfield,

"He's just done everything we've asked," says Steelers president Art Rooney II. "He did some soul-searching, and I think he got back to the roots of how he was brought up.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/damon_hack/02/01/roethlisberger/index.html#ixzz1CjzWhfte

"He [apologized], more than once," says guard Trai Essex, one of Roethlisberger's closest friends on the team, recalling the quarterback's return. "I remember like it was yesterday. You could tell he was relieved to be around the fellas, and you could tell he was ready and anxious. You could see the sense of relief on his face."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/damon_hack/02/01/roethlisberger/index.html#ixzz1CjyxrZLt

ALLD
02-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Everybody outside of Pittsburgh is saying anything to disrupt their preparation and prevent them from winning another SB.

86WARD
02-01-2011, 04:40 PM
King picked the Steelers to win 33-27 over the Pack at the beginning of the season...he's good in my book...for now...

lol...

stillers4me
02-01-2011, 05:09 PM
This might be the breaking point where the media starts to sympathize a little bit towards Ben and ease off some on him. Goodell is making it look like he was on a witch hunt trying to find any reason to suspend Ben. (well, he was). Goodell came off looking really bad on this one.

Texasteel
02-01-2011, 06:42 PM
This might be the breaking point where the media starts to sympathize a little bit towards Ben and ease off some on him. Goodell is making it look like he was on a witch hunt trying to find any reason to suspend Ben. (well, he was). Goodell came off looking really bad on this one.

I think your right here. GODell would have be wise to keep his mouth shut, but he just couldn't do it. The more he talks, I think the worse he is going to look.

NCSteeler
02-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Rodger is doing everything he can to stir controversy and get this team thinking of other things. The number ONE thing he has dreaded all season is having to get up there and hand Ben the trophy, it will kill him.

Butch
02-02-2011, 05:45 AM
Take a look at the below quotes and maybe the attached story. Ben knows he did something wrong. Art Rooney II knows it. Ben's teammates know it. Maybe its time for you to do what they are........dont deny, but accept it and move on.

Whitfield recalls watching Roethlisberger as the quarterback's life was being parsed on the airwaves. Roethlisberger listened to the commentary, then shrugged. "I put myself in this situation," he told Whitfield,

"He's just done everything we've asked," says Steelers president Art Rooney II. "He did some soul-searching, and I think he got back to the roots of how he was brought up.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/damon_hack/02/01/roethlisberger/index.html#ixzz1CjzWhfte

"He [apologized], more than once," says guard Trai Essex, one of Roethlisberger's closest friends on the team, recalling the quarterback's return. "I remember like it was yesterday. You could tell he was relieved to be around the fellas, and you could tell he was ready and anxious. You could see the sense of relief on his face."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/damon_hack/02/01/roethlisberger/index.html#ixzz1CjyxrZLt

Who in the Hell are you to tell me to move on??? You think you have the right to tell others to move on when you haven't done so yourslef??? Come down off your high horse and then maybe we can have a real conversation.

Go To Hell Godell doles out punnishment selectively Favre is caught red handed and he drags out the investigation and then slaps him gently on the wrist same with the cheats but he throws the book at Ben and you call that justice??? You should be ashamed to call yourself a fan if you for one minute think Go To Hell had Ben's or even the Steeler's best intrest in hand. When he doles out punnishment on a more equal basis then I will move on but until then Piss On Go To