PDA

View Full Version : Ben: Teammates "Did" Defend Me Against Goodell

SteelerEmpire
01-31-2011, 08:25 PM
I knew that SOB Good-hell was lyin... I'll believe what the players say before that "ass of a man" (Torah quote).

LINK: http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81e06b30/article/goodell-says-some-steelers-didnt-back-big-ben-qb-disagrees

zulater
01-31-2011, 08:50 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/31/ben-roethlisberger-i-know-my-teammates-supported-me/

Steelers linebacker James Farrior, however, said it’s simply not true for Goodell to claim that no one on the Steelers went to bat for Roethlisberger.

“I was highly upset about the whole situation,” Farrior said. “When Roger Goodell came to us in the preseason, I think I was the guy that asked him a lot of the questions about Ben. I was pretty upset about it. I really didn’t get any answers from him that I was looking for, but I was definitely disappointed in what the verdict was and how they proceeded. I definitely didn’t think he should be suspended four games.”

So Goodell and Farrior clearly remember their conversation very differently. We’ll surely hear from several other Steelers this week who will offer their own recollections of their discussions with Goodell before the season. And we have a feeling that several more Steelers will say they were supportive of Roethlisberger.

Gee only the most respected member of the Steelers team is out and out calling Goodell a liar. Goodell really stepped in it this time, he got caught in a big time lie. He's not fit to be commisioner. He should resign.

Or at the very least apologize to Ben and the entire Steeler orginization.

fansince'76
01-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Still think it's just "Steelers fan paranoia," Gonzo?

Iron Steeler
01-31-2011, 08:55 PM
I dont get it.. I might of got hit in the head a couple times but this is really confusing to me...

What exactly is Goodell tryin to say, and what triggered him to say it? What is going on? Is this even worth my time to be concernd about ?

"Not one, not a single player, went to (Roethlisberger's) defense," Goodell said. "It wasn't personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, 'He won't sign my jersey.'"

:huh: HUH? tHE last part of the sentence doesn't even correspond with the first part....

Someone please explain to me what is going on?

vader29
01-31-2011, 09:27 PM
I dont get it.. I might of got hit in the head a couple times but this is really confusing to me...

What exactly is Goodell tryin to say, and what triggered him to say it? What is going on? Is this even worth my time to be concernd about ?

"Not one, not a single player, went to (Roethlisberger's) defense," Goodell said. "It wasn't personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, 'He won't sign my jersey.'"

:huh: HUH? tHE last part of the sentence doesn't even correspond with the first part....

Someone please explain to me what is going on?

This idiot being commish of the NFL is one of the most f***ed up things ever.

SteelerEmpire
01-31-2011, 09:37 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/31/ben-roethlisberger-i-know-my-teammates-supported-me/

Steelers linebacker James Farrior, however, said it’s simply not true for Goodell to claim that no one on the Steelers went to bat for Roethlisberger.

“I was highly upset about the whole situation,” Farrior said. “When Roger Goodell came to us in the preseason, I think I was the guy that asked him a lot of the questions about Ben. I was pretty upset about it. I really didn’t get any answers from him that I was looking for, but I was definitely disappointed in what the verdict was and how they proceeded. I definitely didn’t think he should be suspended four games.”

So Goodell and Farrior clearly remember their conversation very differently. We’ll surely hear from several other Steelers this week who will offer their own recollections of their discussions with Goodell before the season. And we have a feeling that several more Steelers will say they were supportive of Roethlisberger.

Gee only the most respected member of the Steelers team is out and out calling Goodell a liar. Goodell really stepped in it this time, he got caught in a big time lie. He's not fit to be commisioner. He should resign.

Or at the very least apologize to Ben and the entire Steeler orginization.

Yea. More players will come forward with what really happened. Goodell stands to lose "ALL" his credibility behind this... especially with the lockout coming up... This could very well be the beginning of the end for him... but "SOMETHING" needs to be done about today's issue, at the very least.

43Hitman
01-31-2011, 09:41 PM
Ed. B. of the P-G has an update this evening

There has been an adjustment on the Ben Roethlisberger-Roger Goodell story. SI’s Peter King, who quoted Goodell in his column Monday, heard from the commissioner after the quote was widely circulated and it became the story of the day here after the Steelers arrived.

King called me because he knew we were working on it, after I had talked to him earlier in the day. Goodell told King that when he mentioned “two dozen players” he did not mean two dozen Steelers playershttp://forums.steelersfever.com/images/smilies/chuckle.gif. They were talking about Roethlisberger at the time and King assumed Goodell was talking about Steelers players.

As I blogged earlier, there is no way Goodell talked to 24 Steelers players.

Nevertheless, the comments by Goodell still seem strange in light of what he asked Roethlisberger to do and what the quarterback has done to change his approach to life and how he treats people since that day in March in Georgia. It’s as if the commissioner is trying to justify his four-game suspension of Roethlisberger, who was never charged with a crime.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-clarification (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/107823-ed-goodell-quote-has-clarification)

This was King's quote this morning

Regarding Roethlisberger, Goodell said when he was investigating what to do with the quarterback, he talked to "I bet two dozen [Steeler] players ... Not one, not a single player, went to his defense

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...eek/index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/01/30/super-bowl-week/index.html)

fansince'76
01-31-2011, 10:21 PM
Goodell stands to lose "ALL" his credibility behind this... especially with the lockout coming up... This could very well be the beginning of the end for him...

I'm hoping for a prolonged work stoppage only because that just might be what finally gets this assclown canned once and for all.

Merchant
01-31-2011, 10:21 PM
LOLLL... epic Roger Goodell fail. I want Ben to win the Super Bowl and wave the Lombardi in Goodell's face.

Iron Steeler
01-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Well they have some sort of chemisrty going in that locker room becuase there are in the GD Superbowl!!! Why even bring this up now?

I feel like Goodell feels threatened by the Rooney Family. He knows he can't muscle them around like other owners. IMO i feel like he takes it out on our Steelers.

Galloway6
01-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Ole Roger just trying to put another distraction out there in hopes to get in Ben's head before the big game.

steelerdude15
01-31-2011, 10:42 PM
It was Peter King everybody, he screwed up the quote.

tube517
01-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Roger Goodhell = Moe Greene

:rofl2:

Well they have some sort of chemisrty going in that locker room becuase there are in the GD Superbowl!!! Why even bring this up now?

I feel like Goodell feels threatened by the Rooney Family. He knows he can't muscle them around like other owners. IMO i feel like he takes it out on our Steelers.

zulater
01-31-2011, 10:50 PM
It was Peter King everybody, he screwed up the quote.

I'll bet Peter King's got a recorder that says otherwise.

Roger is playing the dodger, he's laying out the old I was quoted out of context defense.

Fail! Might work for a player, but a commisioner is supposed to be smarter than this.

Devilsdancefloor
01-31-2011, 11:02 PM
why would the commish ask "other" teams players about Ben? he is a lying sack if shit trying to cover his own ass now!

tube517
01-31-2011, 11:02 PM
Peter King screwed it up. His correction here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/super-bowl-2011/01/31/clarification/index.html

zulater
01-31-2011, 11:10 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/super-bowl-2011/01/31/clarification/index.html

Bullshit, nothing more than damage control by Herr Goodell.

And besides, what the fuck is he asking other team's players about Ben for? Did he ask other team's players about Brett Favre before he made a decision about what to do about the Jenn Sterger situation? Did he ask other team's players before he decided to ignore the rap allegations made against multiple Packers this spring?

One lie after the other from this piece of shit, and I'm not talking about Peter King or Ben.

Merchant
01-31-2011, 11:13 PM

Ahaha.. I'm picturing Goodell holding a gun to King's head.. "MAKE THE CORRECTION DAMMIT."

vader29
01-31-2011, 11:16 PM
Bullshit, nothing more than damage control by Herr Goodell.

And besides, what the fuck is he asking other team's players about Ben for?

Exactly! This makes him look even more stupid than he already is, if that is even possible.

GodfatherofSoul
02-01-2011, 01:00 AM
That was a classic political whisper campaign folks. If you don't follow politics, it's when someone high up and credible tells a nasty and false rumor about someone to the press, but does it off-the-record thinking they won't be quoted on it. Who knows how many people Goodell has whispered this too and how many then went on to write disparaging articles about Ben based on their "insider" knowledge?

NCSteeler
02-01-2011, 01:13 AM
I think King did screw up, but no doubt the Commish is an ass bag anyhow. Why don't I ask some ravens players what they think of shit they heard about Ben, Why don't I ask some Seahawks about some shit they heard about Ben, WTF kind of approach is that!! I think that makes him look like a bigger dumbass, using hearsay from OPPOSING teams players to decide whether you should suspend a star player likely to whoop their ass. Hell, I wonder if he asked some Buccaneers, Ravens, Falcons and Titans players, hell they would never over state what they heard or thought about a situation they know NOTHING about, would they?? Commish = D*CK

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Still think it's just "Steelers fan paranoia," Gonzo?

Yes, I think some fans here are whining like Seahawk fans after SB XL.

So Peter King writes a couple lines of what Roger Goodell said, with no real context and something about "he wont sign my jersey"........and a good percentage of the fan base reacts like Jeff Reed when he just ran out of paper towels. Those fans that think the NFL is out to get the Steelers should be told that Troy just won the DPOY and stop thinking the NFL is out to get them.

Michael
02-01-2011, 10:06 AM

So Peter King writes a couple lines of what Roger Goodell said, with no real context and something about "he wont sign my jersey"........and a good percentage of the fan base reacts like Jeff Reed when he just ran out of paper towels. Those fans that think the NFL is out to get the Steelers should be told that Troy just won the DPOY and stop thinking the NFL is out to get them.

Gonzo

I have a great deal of respect for your knowledge of football and wisdom in general and I too do not like to operate on paranoia but I am going with my gut feelings on this one. Since last summer I have thought and stated that Goodell is a politician and has his own emotional agenda and baisis. The mid-season enforcement of rules in such a poor & overly aggresive maner made my head spin. This recent SI story pops up and I wondered what the hell is happening here? I kept saying Goodell is a friging politician.

I am not a big Peter King fan but I have a hard time believing King made a mistake . My first guess is Goodell called King and said "what are you doing, I never said that or you misunderstood me" and then said words that effectively made it clear to King he better retract his story or else.

I think Goodell needs to be exposed and I think the potential for Steeler nation along with the Rooneys & what may come out of this CBA situation presents an opportunity to "sack the phoney".

I have seen this behavior many times with people in power. Many of them are first and foremost manipulators.That is how they get their opportunities and power & deep down they have their own personal agenda. It is going to make Goodell stomach turn when he hands over the Lombardi Sunday evening to any Steeler represenative (hopefully Ben after a Rooney) but he will utter political BS of the greatness of the Steelers because he has no choice. Then the truth may settle in that the Steelers and all that they are are far bigger than he is and he can"t do a damn thing about it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Gonzo

I have a great deal of respect for your knowledge of football and wisdom in general and I too do not like to operate on paranoia but I am going with my gut feelings on this one. Since last summer I have thought and stated that Goodell is a politician and has his own emotional agenda and baisis. The mid-season enforcement of rules in such a poor & overly aggresive maner made my head spin. This recent SI story pops up and I wondered what the hell is happening here? I kept saying Goodell is a friging politician.

I am not a big Peter King fan but I have a hard time believing King made a mistake . My first guess is Goodell called King and said "what are you doing, I never said that or you misunderstood me" and then said words that effectively made it clear to King he better retract his story or else.

I think Goodell needs to be exposed and I think the potential for Steeler nation along with the Rooneys & what may come out of this CBA situation presents an opportunity to "sack the phoney".

I have seen this behavior many times with people in power. Many of them are first and foremost manipulators.That is how they get their opportunities and power & deep down they have their own personal agenda. It is going to make Goodell stomach turn when he hands over the Lombardi Sunday evening to any Steeler represenative (hopefully Ben after a Rooney) but he will utter political BS of the greatness of the Steelers because he has no choice. Then the truth may settle in that the Steelers and all that they are are far bigger than he is and he can"t do a damn thing about it.

Michael, there is probably some truth to your beliefs. I think if the Steelers didnt win last week that none of this would be a story, but because they are here...King had a nugget to print and maybe get some copy purchased. I think the statement is true, I think the context of the commments were not made clear and I think fans are overreacting.

I dont think Goodell has it in for the Steelers. I think Harrison just happens to be the poster boy for vicious hits. Ben made multiple stupid decisions and is seeing some of the consequences for it. I just think most of us here if we are real fans should expect Ben and the Steelers to address the issues and not be irritated that the questions are being asked.

Let Ben and the Steelers "man up" and face the issue head on. I believe they are doing that well and respect them all for it. I'm just not gonna stoop to the level of Ravens fans who whined about Ray Lewis being harrassed by the media at the super bowl.

fansince'76
02-01-2011, 10:49 AM

Fair enough. I really don't care what any scribe writes, personally, particularly that pudgy blowhard Peter King. Overall, I think I've made my general questioning nature and mistrust toward the media pretty well known at this point - that's why I really haven't added much to this thread and I didn't chime in at all in the "Ann Killion" thread. I do think it speaks volumes that Farrior went out of his way to call Goodell on it, though. (link (http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_720750.html)) I also think that's why it is just a bit more than just a bunch of oversensitive fans whining.

My personal take on it at this point? One more win and we're SB champions again and all the haters and the media and Goodell can all go stick it up their asses.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
My personal take on it at this point? One more win and we're SB champions again and all the haters and the media and Goodell can all go stick it up their asses.

Yup, I am more focused on the game and hoping Legursky can hold his own. Also, hoping that Gay and whoever is gonna be the #4 CB can match up with Jones and Nelson.

My personal opinion is that Ben made mistakes and now has to answer to them on the public stage. He'll man up and do it and hopefully be able to focus and "be great". Man, we need Peezy to call somebody soft right about now.

HometownGal
02-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I'll bet Peter King's got a recorder that says otherwise.

Roger is playing the dodger, he's laying out the old I was quoted out of context defense.

Fail! Might work for a player, but a commisioner is supposed to be smarter than this.

This ^^^.

So - Peter King "assumed"? Never - EVER - assume anything because you have a 50% chance of being flat out wrong. :doh: