PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben Won't Stop Using Alcohol...

SteelerEmpire
06-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Article...6/11/10

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger admitted that alcohol problems run in his mother's family, but stopped short of saying he would abandon the use of alcohol as he tries to turn around his life.

There was an excessive use of alcohol on the March night when a 20-year-old Georgia woman accused Roethlisberger of sexual assault. The QB was not charged with a crime, but NFL commissioner Roger Goodell cited alcohol use as a danger to Roethlisberger and others when he suspended the QB for violating the league's personal-conduct policy.

In an interview with KDKA-TV, Roethlisberger said he does not have a problem with the overuse of alcohol. Still, he said he wants to become a better role model and better person, and acknowledged he'll need to adjust his decision-making as part of that:

"Moving forward you have to make sure you make right decisions, and that right decision is going to have to be something I'll have to make when the situation presents itself, how the situation presents itself. You can't stop living, but you gotta live smarter."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/06/steelers-ben-roethlisberger-on-alcolhol-use-you-cant-stop-living-but-you-gotta-live-smarter/1

HometownGal
06-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Give up the sauce, Ben - it's evil and can get you in deep shit. Switch to coffee and ciggys. :thumbsup: :smokin:

siss
06-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I think in moderation he will be fine. And if he is truly devoted to God the way he says he is then it shouldn't be problem. If he is really still going to church with momma and pappa R then hopefully he will make the right decision. And if not then he will get his ass kicked out of the league. And i'm pretty sure he knows that. He's one crazy slut away from being a has been in the NFL.

vasteeler
06-11-2010, 08:42 PM
I think in moderation he will be fine. And if he is truly devoted to God the way he says he is then it shouldn't be problem. If he is really still going to church with momma and pappa R then hopefully he will make the right decision. And if not then he will get his ass kicked out of the league. And i'm pretty sure he knows that. He's one crazy slut away from being a has been in the NFL.

idk i know a lot of drunks that are in to god

Devilsdancefloor
06-11-2010, 08:45 PM
I have been at many many catholic masses in germany where after wards they opened up the beer garden and blessed the beer. I would think that "if" he had a problem the NFL evaluation and his "friends" that are his teamates would say something to him.

steelpride12
06-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Ben will be fine regardless. We all know 75% of NFL players drink alcohol and as long as Ben can stay out of trouble it's no big deal.

fansince'76
06-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Be careful, Ben, or you might wind up like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQqIQyT-RuM

:alcoholic:

siss
06-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Broadway Ben :chuckle:

Wallace108
06-11-2010, 11:21 PM
I might be alone in thinking this, but I don't like Ben's response. I know people with alcohol problems, and they make every excuse and rationalization to not quit drinking. They talk about changing their lives and making better decisions, but nothing that involves quitting drinking ... maybe "drinking less," but not quitting. And until they quit drinking, change is only temporary.

siss
06-11-2010, 11:46 PM
I might be alone in thinking this, but I don't like Ben's response. I know people with alcohol problems, and they make every excuse and rationalization to not quit drinking. They talk about changing their lives and making better decisions, but nothing that involves quitting drinking ... maybe "drinking less," but not quitting. And until they quit drinking, change is only temporary.

I hope your wrong. I really do. But I do think it would have been very easy for him to blame it on alcohol and its possible he does have a problem, especially because he admitted it runs in the family, but it may just not be our business.

X-Terminator
06-11-2010, 11:59 PM
You mean not one other person's :bs: Detector went off here? This article is a classic example of the media creating controversy. So because Ben didn't come right out and blame alcohol for his problems (which would have only gotten him blasted for making excuses for his behavior), it automatically means he won't stop drinking. Talk about a leap of faith...but that's what the media does.

steelerdude15
06-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Uh oh, Ben won't stop drinking, my god the world is coming to an end. Last time I checked, he's over the legal age to drink so if he wants to drink let him, unless he has a problem, then it should be addressed properly or unless he's just enjoying himself, then let him do it.

Wallace108
06-12-2010, 12:28 AM
I hope your wrong. I really do. But I do think it would have been very easy for him to blame it on alcohol and its possible he does have a problem, especially because he admitted it runs in the family, but it may just not be our business.

Siss, I hope I'm wrong as well. But this quote bothers me: "Moving forward you have to make sure you make right decisions, and that right decision is going to have to be something I'll have to make when the situation presents itself, how the situation presents itself."

For Ben, the situation doesn't "present itself." Ben seems to put himself in bad situations. He has a history of making poor decisions in those situations. If he's liquored up when the "situation presents itself," how's he going to make the right decision?

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

Wallace108
06-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Uh oh, Ben won't stop drinking, my god the world is coming to an end. Last time I checked, he's over the legal age to drink so if he wants to drink let him, unless he has a problem, then it should be addressed properly or unless he's just enjoying himself, then let him do it.

Ben also has a history of being an ass in public. That reminds me of something I once heard a comedian say (I'm paraphrasing):

People say they turn into an ass when they drink. Drinking doesn't turn you into an ass. You were an ass when you were sober. Drinking just amplifies it.

7willBheaven
06-12-2010, 12:40 AM
You mean not one other person's :bs: Detector went off here? This article is a classic example of the media creating controversy. So because Ben didn't come right out and blame alcohol for his problems (which would have only gotten him blasted for making excuses for his behavior), it automatically means he won't stop drinking. Talk about a leap of faith...but that's what the media does.

Exactly the media is gonna turn a lot of what he said into crap or whatever. Yeah he didnt say he would quit...but he did say drinking wasnt a problem...it was never in or around his house when he or is sister grew up and its not like a lot of people who have drinking problems they see their parents/etc drinking all the time and then they start and so on. I do not believe drinking is a huge part of the problem...but i think with certain changes he is going to try to make...that if he has some drinks it wont matter. But as usual the media will pick apart...what i thought was a good interview and turn it into bad things and such.

tony hipchest
06-12-2010, 12:43 AM
im sick of the demonization of ben. everybody else in the world drinks alcohol.

yet ben is a "user" = negative connotation that he is doing something illegal by having a few coronas.

there is absolutely nothing that suggests that ben has a drinking problem or is an alcoholic.

Steeldude
06-12-2010, 12:52 AM
it's sad that some people need to drink to relax or have a good time

Wallace108
06-12-2010, 12:54 AM
im sick of the demonization of ben. everybody else in the world drinks alcohol.

yet ben is a "user" = negative connotation that he is doing something illegal by having a few coronas.

there is absolutely nothing that suggests that ben has a drinking problem or is an alcoholic.

Including those who shouldn't.

Who's demonizing him? Certainly not me. I support Ben, not only as our quarterback but as a person, and want the best for him. But his comments sound a lot like what I've heard from known alcohol abusers. And I'll say it again ... I hope I'm wrong.

tony hipchest
06-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Who's demonizing him? Certainly not me.wasnt implying you. national media, and pop culture outlets. just see the title of this thread/article.

"using alcohol" is such a loaded term, i dont even know where to begin (especially when he seems to prefer a few beers and isnt even known as a chronic drunk in public).

its pure demonization and is about as responsible as flat out calling him a serial rapist.

Wallace108
06-12-2010, 01:15 AM
wasnt implying you. national media, and pop culture outlets. just see the title of this thread/article.

"using alcohol" is such a loaded term, i dont even know where to begin (especially when he seems to prefer a few beers and isnt even known as a chronic drunk in public).

its pure demonization and is about as responsible as flat out calling him a serial rapist.

Oh, OK. I thought your comment was directed at me based on my previous posts.
If you're talking about the national media, then yeah, I agree with you. People like to demonize him without looking at the facts.

Mattsme
06-12-2010, 01:18 AM
He should start smoking weed. I'm sure we could get at least a 4th round pick for him then.:sarcasm:

Wallace108
06-12-2010, 01:24 AM
He should start smoking weed. I'm sure we could get at least a 4th round pick for him then.:sarcasm:
:chuckle:
Nah, a fifth-round pick that we would trade to Washington to get Fast Willie back.

Galax Steeler
06-12-2010, 04:20 AM
Be careful, Ben, or you might wind up like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQqIQyT-RuM

:alcoholic:

I remember that it was funny as hell.

Kaeg
06-12-2010, 06:18 AM
I think it comes down to if he has a problem or not with alcohol. If he does, then he probably should just lay off completely. If he's just someone who has gotten drunk and used bad judgment on occasion, well, I do believe there may be a few of us who have done that......

Chidi29
06-12-2010, 08:48 AM
That's actually the best answer Ben can give.

To come out with such a knee-jerk statement like "I'll never have another sip" would actually show, to me, that he's just trying to say the right things. Instead, he isn't blaming the alcohol for his incidents. He's taking the blame as a person who got caught up in his own ego.

And would anyone have believed him if he said he was going to quit? He's a $100 million dollar, under 30, QB. Of course he's going to drink here and there. Ben would have been writing a check he couldn't cash because at some point, there would have been a photo or a blog saying they saw Ben drinking. All that makes Ben look like is a liar and more people would have turned against him.

Drinking Alcohol =/= Being Wasted 24/7

siss
06-12-2010, 09:22 AM
There have been very few stories of Ben drinking a lot. Other then the night he "drank like a champion". The bartender that night said Ben had a good buzz but he wasn't hammered. One of the guys at the restaurant they went to said Ben doesn't drink a lot. He said he likes sake and an occasional beer. So it is possible that he just makes dumb decisions when he's drinking. And we all do that...I'm guilty of a few...in fact I had a bruise on the bottom of my butt to prove it...

Wallace108
06-12-2010, 10:05 AM
There have been very few stories of Ben drinking a lot. Other then the night he "drank like a champion".

Which night? This one? :chuckle:

http://trueball.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/ben-roethlisberger-drunk-pittsburgh-steelers-quarterback-tall-receiver-hines-ward.jpg

stillers4me
06-12-2010, 10:30 AM
There was a big deal made about Ben saying he'd ride a motorcycle again. He didn't say "when". Has there been any sightings of him on a bike since his accident? No. Might he get another bike after he's retired? His perogative.

If Ben has a drink with dinner, it doesn't mean he's an alcoholic. I took his statement to mean that the boys night out kind of drinking is over. That's part of the chapter that's closed. (let's hope)

Wallace108
06-12-2010, 10:38 AM
And we all do that...I'm guilty of a few...in fact I had a bruise on the bottom of my butt to prove it...

Why do I feel like there's more to this story? :noidea: :chuckle:

siss
06-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Why do I feel like there's more to this story? :noidea: :chuckle:

Lets just say its my own personal version of "The Hangover" movie...

And if my son ever...

Kaeg
06-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Gotta admit, Siss, I'm really intrigued now. Can't help but let my mind wander here. :D

siss
06-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Im not going to tell the story because I don't remember most of it...