PDA

View Full Version : Head games: Harrison not singled out

stillers4me
01-31-2011, 04:57 AM
The NFL didn't necessarily single out Steelers linebacker James Harrison when it issued an edict that helmet-to-helmet blows will no longer be tolerated. But with $100,000 in fines this season -- that's with one reduced by $25,000 -- the Pro Bowler is an example of the league's intolerance to an increasingly violent game.

In a season partly defined by the league's crackdown on such contact and jaw-jarring shots to defenseless players, two unapologetically physical teams -- the AFC champion Steelers and NFC champion Green Bay Packers -- collide Sunday in Super Bowl XLV in Arlington, Texas.

Ray Anderson, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, said the league is confident that most players have adapted to the new, stricter rules. But pressure appears to be on the game's officials to apply what players have described as ambiguous rules without adversely influencing the outcome.

"I understand where the league and officials are coming from in trying to make the game safer," said Steelers backup quarterback Byron Leftwich. "But it's hard to ask those guys, especially defensive players, to ease up.................

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_720557.html

GodfatherofSoul
01-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah, who else in the league got a personal foul (and fine?) for falling on a QB?

smokin3000gt
01-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Yeah, who else in the league got a personal foul (and fine?) for falling on a QB?

"With all of his weight"

tube517
01-31-2011, 10:21 AM
We would always like (the rules) to be crystal clear, but obviously it is not a perfect world," Anderson said. "We are working hard to try to minimize confusion and to be clearer as we go through and forward."

I think you worked hard in maximizing confusion for the players, refs and fans.

Devilsdancefloor
01-31-2011, 12:10 PM
i believe he was being targeted and made example of UNTIL Mr Rooney & all the steeler players called attention to the bullshit