PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger To Steelers Fans: Give Me A Chance

polamalubeast
06-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Roethlisberger To Steelers Fans: Give Me A Chance
FULL INTERVIEW: Watch Bob Pompeani's One-On-One Interview With Ben Roethlisberger (6/7/10)
RELATED STORIES: Roethlisberger Reflects On His Struggles | Ben Hopes To Repair Reputation | QB Caught Up In 'Big Ben' Persona Reporting
Bob Pompeani PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― Click to enlarge1 of 2
KDKA
Click to enlarge2 of 2
KDKA

Close

numSlides of totalImages Related Slideshows Steelers' Furry Fanatics! Super Bowl XLIII Steelers Black & Gold FANatics 2009 Steelers Black & Gold FANatics '09 (Part 2) Related StoriesRoethlisberger Reflects On His Life, Past & Future
(6/11/2010)
Roethlisberger Plans To Rebound, Repair Reputation
(6/10/2010)
Roethlisberger Got Caught Up In 'Big Ben' Persona
(6/11/2010)
As Ben Roethlisberger tries to get his act together off the field, the Steelers quarterback is going to have to wait at least five games into the season before he can get back on the field.

One of the games he'll miss is a showdown with the Ravens.

KDKA's Bob Pompeani: How difficult will it be for you to sit back for four games and not be part of this?

Ben Roethlisberger: "It will kill me. It's one thing if you're hurt and not playing, 'cause even that's hard for me. I want to be out there no matter what; but not being hurt -- and I don't think I'll be allowed on the sideline -- watching it on TV, whatever it is, it'll kill me because I can't be out there with the guys and compete with them. Hopefully we don't lose any of them, but if we do, I'll feel guilty for it and if we win, I'll feel like I didn't contribute at all. It's gonna be real tough."

Bob: What do you expect when you come out of that tunnel and that introduction takes place?

Ben: "I don't know. I know what I hope. I hope it's like I always hear, I hope the cheers -- and maybe even louder because people are one, kind of excited to have me back, excited about the way I play the game and people want to forgive me. You know, give me a chance to get back out there and kind of win people back."

But before he can win football fans back, Roethlisberger knows he must first win people back, period.

His behavior off the field ravaged the reputation of the two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback.

Regretful of his mistakes, Roethlisberger says he has turned to his family and his church for guidance.

"I grew up in the church and faith and religion has always been big," Roethlisberger told KDKA.

"I don't want people to think that all of a sudden because something happened to me that all of a sudden I found God; that's not even close to true. It's I came back to God. I just started to stray away. I wasn't going to church. I wasn't reading the bible or doing my devotions. Since this all happened, it was a wakeup call to come back to the church. It was God's way of coming to find me and bring me back to my faith, my religion, what I grew up in."

For the Steelers to grow into a playoff team again, Roethlisberger will have to be at his best -- especially after missing at least four games.

Though he knows it's going to be a tough assignment, especially considering the growth of this division, Roethlisberger says he and his teammates are united and keeping their eyes on the prize.

"Only time will tell but everyone in that locker room has the confidence," Roethlisberger added. "We're such a close group and everything that's happened with me and other players -- Santonio, whatever – that's not separating us. We're a close group. We're gonna stay tight and we know we have to play great football, especially with our division to win football games. And our goal is to get to the Super Bowl and win another trophy for this city."

polamalubeast
06-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Jun 11, 2010 6:15 pm US/Eastern Roethlisberger: Offense Will Be Stronger This Year
FULL INTERVIEW: Watch Bob Pompeani's One-On-One Interview With Ben Roethlisberger (6/7/10)
RELATED STORIES: Roethlisberger Reflects On His Struggles | Ben Hopes To Repair Reputation | QB Caught Up In 'Big Ben' Persona Reporting
Bob Pompeani PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― Click to enlarge1 of 1
KDKA

Close

numSlides of totalImages Related StoriesRoethlisberger Reflects On His Life, Past & Future
(6/11/2010)
Roethlisberger Plans To Rebound, Repair Reputation
(6/10/2010)
(6/11/2010)
Ben Roethlisberger says he's not sure what to expect from fans the next time he is in a Steelers uniform at Heinz Field; but he does think the Steelers offense will be better in 2010.

Roethlisberger is suspended for at least the first four games of the upcoming season; but when he returns, he expects to lead a more effective offense.

KDKA's Bob Pompeani: If I were to tell you last year, you'd be a 4,000 yard passer -- that you'd have a 1,000 yard receiver, a 1,000 yard rusher, and you wouldn't make the playoffs. Would that add up to you?

Ben Roethlisberger: "No, not at all. People want to talk so much about the offense and everything, but you sit there and name it. I think we had two 1,000 yard receivers, a 1,000 yard rusher and me throwing for 4,000 yards. I'm pretty sure it's the most prolific offense in Steeler history. I would assume so numbers-wise; but to me in particular, I'll throw all those numbers away for playoffs or a Super Bowl."

In his season-ending evaluation, Steelers President Art Rooney II was adamant about getting more out of the run game.

Roethlisberger agrees, but not at the expense of getting away from the passing game.

"I don't think so. The league is always evolving and right now the league is evolving into a passing league," the Steelers quarterback adds.

"And if you try to sit back -- in the 70s, that worked, the running the ball and pounding it, what do you say 'Pile of dirt and 3 yards,' 'Three yards and a pile of dust?' Whatever the old saying is -- I was too young for that; but you can't win with that anymore. You have to be able to run the ball effectively, and I think that was the key that Bruce and Mr. Rooney and Coach Tomlin tried to get across this off-season and at the end of the year. Not necessarily to run the ball more, but we need to run the ball more effectively."

But will the Steelers be able to pass as effectively as last year -- considering they lost a former Super Bowl MVP?

Roethlisberger says he expects Tight End Heath Miller to continue to step up and set a career record for catches and touchdowns

"Heath gets better every year. I still sit here and demand every year and talk about Pro Bowls for him because he is a Pro Bowl tight end. The more speed we have on the outside and the more dynamic we are on the outside opens it up more for Heath. And we have to base a lot of this offense around Heath Miller because he is so good at what he does -- and that's catching touchdowns."

Despite all of their offense production last year, the Steelers stumbled with a mid- to late-season five-game losing streak before ending with three consecutive victories.

Looking back, Roethlisberger says turnovers were the issue. "We just kind of hit a little bit of a wall and we started to turn it back on, but it was too little too late."

"The league is funny because it's all about when you get hot and we've had years when we've made runs and we were getting hot -- but just a little too late."

polamalubeast
06-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Related Stories: Roethlisberger Plans To Repair Reputation | Roethlisberger Reflects On His Struggles
FULL INTERVIEW: Ben Roethlisberger Opens Up To KDKA's Bob Pompeani Reporting
Bob Pompeani PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― Click to enlarge1 of 1
KDKA

Close

numSlides of totalImages Related Slideshows Steelers Black & Gold FANatics '09 (Part 2) Steelers 2009 Season In Pictures Related StoriesRoethlisberger Plans To Rebound, Repair Reputation
(6/11/2010)
Roethlisberger Reflects On His Life, Past & Future
(6/11/2010)
Accuser Says She Was Led To Roethlisberger
(6/10/2010)
Video Reveals Roethlisberger Accuser's Story
(6/10/2010)
Ga. Investigators Release DVDs In 'Big Ben' Case
(6/9/2010)
Video Reveals Ben's Accuser's Version Of Events
(6/10/2010)
In the interview everyone has been waiting for, Ben Roethlisberger says he's not the same person who was accused of sexual assault in a Georgia bar and he's ready to prove it to his family, teammates and fans.

KDKA's Bob Pompeani got the first sit-down interview with Roethlisberger since the scandal in Georgia.

In fact, Bob has spent several hours talking to Roethlisberger in two exclusive interviews this week.

Because of an existing legal issue in Reno, Nev., KDKA's Bob Pompeani could not ask him about that night in Milledgeville.

The NFL also notified KDKA that details of his treatment were also off limits, but KDKA's Bob Pompeani did talk about the effect of that and other incidents on his reputation.

Roethlisberger freely admits to falling victim to the "Big Ben" persona.

KDKA's Bob Pompeani: Did you get caught up in the "Big Ben" persona?

Ben Roethlisberger: "Looking back on it I can see that. At the time I didn't really see it, but looking back on it now it's like the Toby Mac song, 'I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul.' I was gaining everything but I was losing who I was, who I was raised to be, and it was really tough. Like I said, at the time I didn't see it but looking back on it, gee, it was really obvious, and it was tough. I mean like I said you get thrown into from small town Findlay, Ohio, to all of a sudden you're in Pittsburgh and everyone knows about Steelers fans and the Steelers reputation and tradition and to get thrown into that so fast I got so overwhelmed it consumed me."

Roethlisberger then was overwhelmed by criticism. Once everything hit the fan, media outlets everywhere poured it on, including Sports Illustrated. He was the cover boy for all the wrong reasons. He says that really hurt.

"It did more so for my family, that's what hurt me the most. You develop a thick skin when you do this stuff," he said. "But I don't care how thick your skin is, it still finds a way to get to your core and it can really get in here and hurt a lot."

Roethlisberger also said it hurt that his friends, who have been referred to as bodyguards, have been taken to task even though he says they did nothing wrong.

"If people want to blame someone, blame me. I'll take that, but they got so much heat that I felt was so unworthy," he said. "They're such great people."

"It's unfortunate that they got the bad rap because they're people of great integrity," Ben added. "They would never do anything to put their jobs or the law in jeopardy."

Roethlisberger told KDKA's Bob Pompeani he has received lots of fan mail suggesting he settle down and start a family.

"I don't think that's something you can force. Some of the fan mail I got was, 'You need to find a wife right now and settle down and have kids.' Well, it's not something – you don't force that. When God puts that person in your life and they're the right one, you'll know it. And um, when it's time to start having a family and being settled down I look forward to that day."

MORE:
Roethlisberger Plans to Rebound, Repair Reputation
Roethlisberger Reflects On His Life, Past & Future

Friday on KDKA-TV News starting at 5:00pm: Day Two of Ben's candid interview with Bob Pompeani. Is he worried about how fans will react when he comes back?

cakmakli
06-11-2010, 06:32 PM
I say he deserves that.

Burghfan58
06-11-2010, 07:39 PM
I watched the interview. He seemed sincere. He's good to go in my book.

GoSlash27
06-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Of course the fans are gonna give him another chance. In fact, he's already got it. All he's got to do now is not act like an immature jackass off the field and he'll be fine.
It shouldn't be that hard.

siss
06-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Im behind him...I just want to see it...i dont want to hear it from him. But the next time he breaks my heart I'm done...

He's so lucky he's won 2 Super Bowls...and he looks good in back and gold...

HometownGal
06-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Actions speak louder than words Ben. I'm behind you 100% as I'm sure the majority of fans are. Don't screw us over, please.

Devilsdancefloor
06-11-2010, 08:34 PM
he has his chance with me, but actions speak louder than words. prove it to the nation!

steelpride12
06-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Of course Im behind him. He is our QB and leader of the Steelers and I will back him up 100%. Ben you have to prove yourself to us and prove yourself to the league that you have fixed yourself!

stillers4me
06-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Watch the interview here. http://kdka.com/steelers

It's good to see Ben talking football again. I'm ready to move on......

steelpride12
06-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Watch the interview here. http://kdka.com/steelers

It's good to see Ben talking football again. I'm ready to move on......

Ive been ready to move on, but the media and twisting stories have just begun...:frusty:

venom
06-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Prove it on and off the field then !!

MULLDOG24
06-12-2010, 03:23 PM
I think Ben will get passed this and so will I. Go get em Ben and Go Steelers!!!!!

stlrtruck
06-15-2010, 10:42 AM
He deserves a chance to prove himself, to prove that he is a man of his word or that he's not.

I believe the young man will turn things around in his personal life as well as on the field. And it will turn heads and make everyone forget about his past transgressions.

And for the ones that don't want to forget about it...then go piss and moan about it somewhere else!

siss
06-15-2010, 10:52 AM
He deserves a chance to prove himself, to prove that he is a man of his word or that he's not.

I believe the young man will turn things around in his personal life as well as on the field. And it will turn heads and make everyone forget about his past transgressions.

And for the ones that don't want to forget about it...then go piss and moan about it somewhere else!

Turn in your terrible towel and go cheer for the stains!

solardave
06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
"I don't think that's something you can force. Some of the fan mail I got was, 'You need to find a wife right now and settle down and have kids.' Well, it's not something – you don't force that. When God puts that person in your life and they're the right one, you'll know it. And um, when it's time to start having a family and being settled down I look forward to that day."

I agree with what he says here about settling down. Now all he has to do is start looking in the right places for that special "one".

Merchant
06-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Ben is God.. so he strayed away from himself? I don't get it.. Maybe it's like an alter ego thing.. :P

siss
06-15-2010, 11:27 AM

I agree with what he says here about settling down. Now all he has to do is start looking in the right places for that special "one".

Hint: Ben, baby, she's not in a bar at 2 AM. There are plenty of fish in the sea...but stop fishing off the bars dock at 2 am drunk...okay sweet Quarterback.
Try church or the grocery store.

suitanim
06-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Did I hear him say both "This is now a passing league" and "Three yards and a pile(sic) of dust won't win games anymore"?

Meh, what does he know?

SteelMember
06-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Hopefully this is his last wakeup call.

Now, he just needs a better wing man... I hope God gets the job back.

siss
06-15-2010, 12:04 PM

He just needs to stay away from bars.

no more black and gold diggers!!!

stlrtruck
06-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Turn in your terrible towel and go cheer for the stains!

YEAH! That ain't gonna happen siss!

siss
06-17-2010, 03:27 PM
YEAH! That ain't gonna happen siss!

I was talking about the people that were not supporting Ben.
They need to turn in there Terrible Towels and go cheer for the Browns!

BlastFurnace
06-17-2010, 04:12 PM

I agree. I think he knows that this is his last wakeup call with the Steelers because the Rooney's have made it clear to him. Thankfully, that's why we are seeing a different Ben now.

Butch
06-17-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty sure Lambert didn't have a wife and family until after his playing days so why should Ben need one??? He can start looking when he's not a Steeler as far as I'm concerned I just want him focused on football and getting control of his life. He don't need a wife for that.

Good Luck Ben, I'm ready to see you take it to the next level on the gridiron.

HometownGal
06-17-2010, 05:10 PM
I was talking about the people that were not supporting Ben.
They need to turn in there Terrible Towels and go cheer for the Browns!

Hon - though I am always willing to give a deserving person a second chance, not everyone feels the same way. While I'm more than ready to give Ben that second chance, his actions need to speak louder than his yap. Y'know the old saying . . . fool me once shame on me - fool me twice . . . .

siss
06-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Hon - though I am always willing to give a deserving person a second chance, not everyone feels the same way. While I'm more than ready to give Ben that second chance, his actions need to speak louder than his yap. Y'know the old saying . . . fool me once shame on me - fool me twice . . . .

I understand that. And his actions do need to speak. Im supporting him, but I want to see something more then just I'm sorry Im sorry Im sorry...

Any one but me ever notice that when Ben does something he does it alllll the way and he usually goes in head first with eyes closed.

He's the youngest QB to win a Super Bowl @23
The youngest QB to have 2 Super Bowls @26
And the only guy to get suspended under the NFL personal conduct policy who has never been arrested let alone charged with anything @ 28.

SteelCityMan786
06-17-2010, 08:46 PM
You have your chance to show you have changed Ben. All YOU have to do is, take it and go to town with it and make the most of it.

Galax Steeler
06-18-2010, 03:46 AM
I think he more then deserves a second chance. He is human and is going to mess up. Yea I think it will tarnish him somewhat throughout his career but I am going to stand behind him until he gives me another reason not to.

venom
06-18-2010, 06:42 AM
So far he's doing well . The Steeler brass are happy with his " progress " . Ill give him ONE more chance as well as the Steelers and the NFL will .

http://i40.tinypic.com/xp7rza.jpg (http://i40.tinypic.com/xp7rza.jpg)