PDA

View Full Version : Bill Polian: Roethlisberger is up there with Manning and Brady

polamalubeast
01-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 28, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
For the last decade, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have been the generally accepted top two quarterbacks in football, with the only argument being which one of them was first and which one of them was second.

But the man who drafted Manning, Colts President Bill Polian, says there’s another quarterback who deserves to be in that mix.

“Bottom line, if you ask football people, they’re going to put Ben Roethlisberger up there with [Manning and Brady] almost unanimously,” Polian told Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times. “No one would leave him out. And others who have made the Pro Bowl, for example, wouldn’t even get consideration if you took a poll of all 32 general managers.”

Roethlisberger hasn’t had the statistics or the accolades of Manning or Brady, but it’s hard to dispute that he’s one of the league’s elite players. Polian, who doesn’t hand out praise lightly, sure thinks so.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/28/bill-polian-roethlisberger-is-up-there-with-manning-and-brady

Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger makes the plays when it really matters

You could never root for him? That's understandable.

But if you think Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger is anything less than an elite NFL quarterback, you're wrong.

Roethlisberger might not have the gaudy statistics of New England's Tom Brady or Indianapolis' Peyton Manning — and, in fact, some of his numbers are cover-your-eyes bad — but there's no debating his most important statistic:

He wins.

Look at last Sunday's victory over the New York Jets in the AFC championship game. Roethlisberger completed 10 of 19 passes for 133 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions. In terms of the box score, he was thoroughly outplayed by the Jets' Mark Sanchez, who completed 20 of 33 for 233 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

But what happened on the critical plays? On third-and-12, Roethlisberger kept a touchdown drive alive with a 12-yard run. Later, on third-and-four, he ran for five. And with two minutes to go, and the Steelers protecting a five-point lead, Roethlisberger completed a 14-yard pass to Antonio Brown to convert a third-and-six. Game over. Let the kneel downs begin.

It was a typical Roethlisberger game — he didn't make all the plays, but he made the ones that counted.

"There ought to be a stat for 'What did you do when you needed a pass completion to win the game,' " Hall of Fame coach John Madden said in a phone interview. "That's where Ben's stats would show up, when you make the play when you need to. A lot of guys get stats when they don't need them. Ben doesn't."

read more

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-farmer-nfl-20110128-9,0,3454798.column

Pristas
01-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Wow, I'm stunned. National media giving Ben props. I guess it's the new "thing to do". We've always known how clutch the guy is.

HometownGal
01-28-2011, 04:55 PM
I never really agree with much that Madden spouts, but he is spot on here: :applaudit: :rockon:

"There ought to be a stat for 'What did you do when you needed a pass completion to win the game,' " Hall of Fame coach John Madden said in a phone interview. "That's where Ben's stats would show up, when you make the play when you need to. A lot of guys get stats when they don't need them. Ben doesn't."

Dino 6 Rings
01-28-2011, 04:57 PM
has to win Number 3...otherwise it'll be nothing but "see he couldn't do it when it counted" all off season.

steelpride12
01-28-2011, 05:24 PM
has to win Number 3...otherwise it'll be nothing but "see he couldn't do it when it counted" all off season.
Oh yeah you watch BSPN jump all over Ben if he doesn't win this and say how he is not an elite QB. haha!

Count Steeler
01-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Broken nose, broken foot, charlie horse. You will never break his spirit. Once again he will prove he is a winner and a champion.

tube517
01-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Madden may be alot of things but he loves Ben. All the games he has called when Ben plays, he gushes in a "Brett Favre" like manner. He just says Ben or Big Ben because Roethlisberger is too much for his fat head to say.

Kaeg
01-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Yup. Win or lose, if he doesn't have a great game, he will be chastised again. I guess it's like the pre-game respect routine they need to do to help build hype.

Kittyfish
01-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Most of the people I've seen on ESPN playing "pick your QB" are picking Aaron Rodgers anyway. It's odd because they all cite the very things Ben is great at and known for as reasons to choose Rodgers - it's very strange, as I say. They really really really want GB to win this. Skip Bayless is pretty much the only one sticking up for Ben.

NCSteeler
01-28-2011, 11:22 PM
ESPN about has me convinced we will be blown out by Rodgers..

nwstlrsfan1
01-29-2011, 12:12 AM
I'll take Ben anyday over both of them.

7willBheaven
01-29-2011, 12:53 AM
I've always respected the Colts organization and Polian seems like a good dude...and this just further proves that point, hah.

Galax Steeler
01-29-2011, 05:43 AM
Wow I can't believe this some respect for Ben.

GBMelBlount
01-29-2011, 06:41 AM

I never really agree with much that Madden spouts, but he is spot on here: :applaudit: :rockon:

Just getting ready to quote that myself. Well said by Madden.